Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

Oh look, another Wolf unit that gets every turn the one single unique feature of my army, but better.

Orks are suffering. :smithicide:
Tyranids say hi. Up top, buddy. :zoid::hf::orks101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

http://www.blacklibrary.com/merchandise

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNZove4OTtI

Kind of narrow range of stuff though right now. Also some of the design are kind of :effort: it feels like.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
that's some really bad artifacting

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

The Munitorum Recaff Mug is pretty legit.

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

I identify as a simian who pronounces the 'silent' letters in words.
Fallen Rib

Very cool, I will be trying this out this weekend!

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

BULBASAUR posted:

That getting 'free' upgrades has become a thing in GW design is pretty disappointing

Yeah, I'm often pretty well on GW's side but I hate that poo poo. I'm fortunate to have a cool gaming group where nobody pulls those formations because they're pure dicketry and really boring from a rules standpoint.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Thanks man. Yeah that's the cloak edging from the big Ultramarine transfer sheet. It was a bit fiddly yeah, but I use the Micro Sol softening solution to soften up my transfers when I apply them so they go onto uneven surfaces much easier. It's good for transfers over panel lines as well, makes them look painted on.

I do keep thinking of doing a second round of even lighter edge highlights, but I just find the process so tedious.

Cool, I'm about to do Sicarius and will need to give his cloak some trim.

Yeah that final edging is such a bore, but I've found Fenrisian Grey sticks to the brush so well that it's almost like dry brushing and actually way easier than that first run with Calgar that I assume you're using.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

GW posted:

"Free points" formations
Take xenos army features away, then give improved version to Space Marines
Make SMs better at everything than any xenos army
Ork codex overcosted, hamstrung, uninspired junk
Orkanauts aren't Super-Heavies w/D melee & w/o a points adjustment since they'll always lose to other SH due to i2
Eldar get D-strength flamers, lasers, & <300pt GMCs

I'm going to turn this into a positive: let's post our "gently caress it" lists. What else can we build? Armies besides Orks, CSM, Blood Angels, & Tyranids can also post. Below is one all about EXPLOSIONS.

- 'Ave a Blast! -

SAG Big Mek
Tellyporta Big Mek in MA

Grots
Shoota Boyz, PK Nob

Blitza-Bommer
Deffkoptas w/ Big Bomms

Kustom Mega Kannons w/ Ammo Runts
Killa Kanz w/ Grotzookas
Big Trakk w/ Supa-Kannon

Kill Bursta Tank w/ Bursta Kannon

With this, I can put out a ludicrous number of small blasts, a pretty good couple of large ones, and a Massive Blast S:D, because :fuckoff:

I also have a list that is almost exclusively Nobz: Flash Gitz, Nob Bikers w/ Boss & Painboy on bike, MegaNobz, & Mogrok's Bossboyz spread throughout the units to back them up.

So what other ridiculous lists with fluffy themes or crazy bullshit do you have?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

boom boom boom posted:

that's some really bad artifacting

I'm like 95% sure that's the same open source skull icon I used for Army Bodger.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

SRM posted:

Yeah, I'm often pretty well on GW's side but I hate that poo poo. I'm fortunate to have a cool gaming group where nobody pulls those formations because they're pure dicketry and really boring from a rules standpoint.

It's the natural evolution of formations.

How do we further upsell models? Why, let's encourage absolute spam by giving them free stuff!
I hope this never leaks into non-40k :(

Mango Polo fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Feb 18, 2016

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

I'm going to turn this into a positive: let's post our "gently caress it" lists. What else can we build? Armies besides Orks, CSM, Blood Angels, & Tyranids can also post. Below is one all about EXPLOSIONS.

- 'Ave a Blast! -

SAG Big Mek
Tellyporta Big Mek in MA

Grots
Shoota Boyz, PK Nob

Blitza-Bommer
Deffkoptas w/ Big Bomms

Kustom Mega Kannons w/ Ammo Runts
Killa Kanz w/ Grotzookas
Big Trakk w/ Supa-Kannon

Kill Bursta Tank w/ Bursta Kannon

With this, I can put out a ludicrous number of small blasts, a pretty good couple of large ones, and a Massive Blast S:D, because :fuckoff:

I also have a list that is almost exclusively Nobz: Flash Gitz, Nob Bikers w/ Boss & Painboy on bike, MegaNobz, & Mogrok's Bossboyz spread throughout the units to back them up.

So what other ridiculous lists with fluffy themes or crazy bullshit do you have?
I bring Tyranids and I help develop other players' narratives.

For real though, I've been thinking about how to run a proper genestealer cult list. The big problem I've run across is that any allies you run (the obvious choice is AM, but counts-as chaos could also work) are going to suffer under SotW. A psyker-free AM allied detachment isn't 100% as fluffy as I'd like it to be, but I just don't see psykers as being viable.

The idea I had was a versatile army that uses its ranged firepower to lock down enemy mobility, then tears them apart up close. It's slow and fragile, but the hope is that target saturation and massed firepower should compensate. I'm still putting it together, but at the very least it's fluffy as hell.

If I'm going to lose to build other peoples' narratives, imma do it in style dammit.

1850pt Genestealer Cult

Combined Arms Detachment: Tyranids

HQ

Hive Tyrant (Genestealer Patriarch)
2x TLDWBLW
195pts
w
2x Tyrant Guard
100pts

Troops

8 Genestealers
Broodlord
172pts

8 Genestealers
Broodlord
172pts

8 Genestealers
Broodlord
172pts

30 Hormagaunts (devolving cultists)
Adrenal Glands
210pts

Elites

3 Zoanthropes (Magus cult)
150pts

3 Zoanthropes (Magus cult)
150pts

Allied Detachment: Astra Militarum

HQ

Lord Commissar (Infected Mayor/Politician)
65pts

Troops

Infantry Platoon (Infected PDF)

Platoon Command Squad
Vox Caster, Mortar
40pts

3x Infantry Squad
Vox Caster, Flamer, Missile Launcher
75pts

2x Autocannon Team
75pts

29 Conscripts
87pts

Fast Attack

3 Scout Sentinels (Civilian construction walker things)
Autocannon
120pts

Heavy Support

2 Hydras
140pts

That's 144 models. It won't mean poo poo when they're all running off the board, but let me have my small victories.

SurreptitiousMuffin fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Feb 18, 2016

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Mango Polo posted:

lol, its going to be the other way around, friend

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Not going to lie, this one actually got a little chuckle out of me.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Mango Polo posted:

It's the natural evolution of formations.

How do we further upsell models? Why, let's encourage absolute spam by giving them free stuff!

It's been pretty typical in WMH for years. I was going to say that should prove that it's just GW loving up a theoretically decent concept, although free points in theme forces are one of the most unbalanced things in WMH, too, so maybe it's just a terrible idea generally.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Safety Factor posted:

Not going to lie, this one actually got a little chuckle out of me.

Yeah it's not that bad actually. The same goes for the mug with the same theme but I wish it was a metal one instead just so you could bang it up a little for authenticity's sake.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

I bring Tyranids and I help develop other players' narratives.

For real though, I've been thinking about how to run a proper genestealer cult list. The big problem I've run across is that any allies you run (the obvious choice is AM, but counts-as chaos could also work) are going to suffer under SotW. A psyker-free AM allied detachment isn't 100% as fluffy as I'd like it to be, but I just don't see psykers as being viable.

The idea I had was a versatile army that uses its ranged firepower to lock down enemy mobility, then tears them apart up close. It's slow and fragile, but the hope is that target saturation and massed firepower should compensate. I'm still putting it together, but at the very least it's fluffy as hell.

If I'm going to lose to build other peoples' narratives, imma do it in style dammit.

It depends how open you are to house ruling, I've got a genestealer cult that uses orks/guard for hybrid and 'human' forces. My group lets me play them as allies of convenience rather than desperate allies and it works pretty well for a low tech army.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

BULBASAUR posted:

Is there a way to abuse this combined with the deathpack rules?

Here ya ar mi broder:

http://www.powerfisted.com/?p=199

When it says "washes" it simply means normal water mixed paints brushed on right? Not an actual GW wash.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

drat I wish I hadn't already basecoated my command squad, I have macragge blue spray and I'd have loved to try this.

Uroboros posted:

When it says "washes" it simply means normal water mixed paints brushed on right? Not an actual GW wash.

No looks like they do mean actual washes, not watered paint. The example one is carroburg crimson wash.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

drat I wish I hadn't already basecoated my command squad, I have macragge blue spray and I'd have loved to try this.

No looks like they do mean actual washes, not watered paint. The example one is carroburg crimson wash.

Well you can do it with paint thinned down to a glaze consistency, or washes, inks, clear/ghost colors, etc. It's super neat and flexible.

I just received my badger patriot airbrush and wanted to give the technique a try... but I promptly packed it into a moving box. Moving day is in less than a month and I don't want to make things any more complicated, but I'm itching to get stuff done after sitting on grey resin for years.

Mango Polo fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Feb 18, 2016

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Am I crazy for wanting to do a Black Templars Devastator Assault Squad? They just want to go on a crusade against tanks and other models with fat asses.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Mango Polo posted:

Well you can do it with paint thinned down to a glaze consistency, or washes, inks, clear/ghost colors, etc. It's super neat and flexible.

I just received my badger patriot airbrush and wanted to give the technique a try... but I promptly packed it into a moving box. Moving day is in less than a month and I don't want to make things any more complicated, but I'm itching to get stuff done after sitting on grey resin for years.

I guess I'm not understanding what the glaze adds at this point. So I do the 3 layers of prime(I assume Krylon from WalMart will do) then I use assumedly Guilliman Blue Glaze and then start my base coating? Guess I don't understand how my base coat isn't going to completely obscure any effect the Glaze has.

So I'm understanding properly it will go as follows for my dudes:
1) Black Prime 100%
2) Grey Prime at 45-90 degrees
3) White Prime from top down
4) Add Guilliman Blue Glaze
5) 2x Base Cost Maccrage Blue
6) Wash Nuln Oil
7) Highlight Maccrage
8) Edge Calgar Blue
9) Edge Fenrisian Grey
10) Glaze again with Guilliman Blue?

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Uroboros posted:

I guess I'm not understanding what the glaze adds at this point. So I do the 3 layers of prime(I assume Krylon from WalMart will do) then I use assumedly Guilliman Blue Glaze and then start my base coating? Guess I don't understand how my base coat isn't going to completely obscure any effect the Glaze has.

1) Black Prime 100%
6) Wash Nuln Oil
7) Highlight Maccrage
8) Edge Calgar Blue
9) Edge Fenrisian Grey

For the Zenithal highlighting effect to work you paint almost entirely with glazes/really thin layers including the basecoat. If you used normally thinned paint then the pre-shade would be completely covered, but by adding a medium (glaze/matt) in large quantities to the colours you paint then it'll tint the primed model to the colour of glaze giving you "free" shading and highlighting. Adding a medium just makes the paint translucent without thinning the consistency. You can then use a thinner glazed or non-glazed paint to do edge highlighting as normal.

Normally you'd use a glaze to darken/tint an existing area or build up a colour gradually, in this case you're just tinting the primer.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Uroboros posted:

Ah I see now. I think it's best to watch it in action.

]This is a bit long but shows the concept fairly well. When he airbrushes the color on, that's the equivalent to the wash.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Mango Polo posted:

Ah I see now. I think it's best to watch it in action.

]This is a bit long but shows the concept fairly well. When he airbrushes the color on, that's the equivalent to the wash.

I see, I'll try it on my next tactical squad, I feel they would come out to light to match the current batch.

Has anyone tried just doing a grey spray on and not adding the white.

TheArmorOfContempt fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Feb 18, 2016

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Post the big one yo

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Yeh this gives me hope that the Deathwatch/Genestealer Cult box is real. It's been a while since I've been legit excited about a release, but this would certainly qualify.

Gonna be Come The Apocalypse allies with Tyranids :smithicide:

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
One of them is a Blood Raven, so I really hope most of his wargear is poo poo he pilfered from other squads.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

PierreTheMime posted:

Yeh this gives me hope that the Deathwatch/Genestealer Cult box is real. It's been a while since I've been legit excited about a release, but this would certainly qualify.

Gonna be Come The Apocalypse allies with Tyranids :smithicide:

That is fairly logical though, as for that world it is the Apocalypse.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I hope there's more to come, if they're doing named characters for the Deathwatch I hope Korvydae is one of them.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Uroboros posted:

I see, I'll try it on my next tactical squad, I feel they would come out to light to match the current batch.

Has anyone tried just doing a grey spray on and not adding the white.

It's very, very likely that you'll get a totally different result from your other marines! Keep that in mind.
Here's the same technique using blue.

The process is pretty flexible; skipping the white just means that your darkest blue will look closer to your lightest one. Since you're applying the blue coats by brush though, you really are going to want to thin it down with something other than water. Lahmian Medium & generic medium equivalents.

e. hahaha holy poo poo

Mango Polo fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Feb 18, 2016

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I like that the Dark Angel is just a converted veteran model and not actually a unique sculpt like the others. Also, I can't tell what weapon the devastator dude has. It's not a heavy bolter.

:wtc: Hahahahahahaha, all of those faces.

Shazaminator
Oct 11, 2007
The power of Shazam compels you!
Is that White Scar about to kiss his birdie

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Safety Factor posted:

I like that the Dark Angel is just a converted veteran model and not actually a unique sculpt like the others. Also, I can't tell what weapon the devastator dude has. It's not a heavy bolter.

It looks like a heavy stubber.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

It looks like a heavy stubber.

Looks like a heavy bolter converted to fire hellfire rounds.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Thundercloud posted:

Looks like a heavy bolter converted to fire hellfire rounds.

Yeah, it's definitely a modified heavy bolter. Be cool if they included the suspensors upgrade form forever ago.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Uroboros posted:

In the examples I did you can brush paint on (thinned down quite a bit), use a wash, or an airbrush. The only important thing is that this layer be thin enough to let the colors underneath through. Bunch of great advice in the thread from other painters as well.

Uroboros posted:

1) Black Prime 100%
6) Wash Nuln Oil
7) Highlight Maccrage
8) Edge Calgar Blue
9) Edge Fenrisian Grey

I was also confused about this when I started painting. Think about it this way- the color you apply after the 3 Zenithal colors (your primer, basically) will become your basecoat. You do not need to put another coat ontop of it, although you certainly can. Your recipe looks more like this:

Prime
1) Black Prime 100%

Basecoat
4) Glaze with Maccrage Blue (Thin your paint 3:1 water:paint. If you have flow improver or gloss varnish you can put it in 2:1:1 water:flow aid:paint to help prevent pooling. OR you can mix in some Guilliman Blue 2:1:1 water:Guilliman Blue:Maccrage Blue).
5) If you want, you can wash with Guilliman Blue. This will modulate (tint) the color underneath, but you can skip this step if you like the color you get from step 4
6) Wash the shadows, and only the shadows, with Nuln Oil

Highlight
7) If you want, you can drybrush highlight with Maccrage Blue here, but honestly you don't need it
8) Edge highlight Calgar Blue
9) Edge Highlight Fenrisian Grey
10) Drink some beer

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Pretty please tell me that Salamander picture is real, I thought it was a loving Ork to start off with. it is green and has red eyes ffs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

• Locked thread