Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Oh, right. I do, but I don't necessarily trust all my department's users to (though if I can't get USMT to move them over that's obviously a fine alternative).
I'm pretty sure if you're going to be moving Chrome bookmarks you're going to have to create the Chrome profile and then do all sorts of fuckery you probably don't want to do. If there are bookmarks that everyone's supposed to have, you should use Chrome's GPO templates instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Inspector_666 posted:

If there's a set of standardized bookmarks, you should be able to GPO that.

If it's just to make sure personal bookmarks carry over, I would probably just send out instructions on how to back them up and leave it up to the users. Or you can probably script the Chrome export/import process and go around the long way?

Yep, it's the latter.

Thanks for the input everyone, kind of illuminating to know this isn't something most people are worrying about for migrations. I think we can get away with telling people their personal bookmarks are their responsibility since all modern browsers sync them now (though I am able to easily migrate Firefox bookmarks :shrug: ).

And I swear this works in Windows 7 --> Windows 7 migrations, and I didn't do anything other than the above XML. Though now I'm going to test that to make sure I'm not insane.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Yep, it's the latter.

Thanks for the input everyone, kind of illuminating to know this isn't something most people are worrying about for migrations. I think we can get away with telling people their personal bookmarks are their responsibility since all modern browsers sync them now (though I am able to easily migrate Firefox bookmarks :shrug: ).

And I swear this works in Windows 7 --> Windows 7 migrations, and I didn't do anything other than the above XML. Though now I'm going to test that to make sure I'm not insane.

When I designed a USMT solution for an MSP, Chrome bookmarks was a hard requirement. As was Firefox and IE bookmarks. Being an MSP, we didn't know which browser companies were using, what they were doing with it, whether they were logged in to a personal google account or not, and most certainly couldn't trust users to move bookmarks themselves.

I got it working the exact same way you did for Win 7 to Win 7 / 8 / 8.1, but left the job before migrating to 10 was an issue. No idea why it wouldn't work there if Chrome is using the same file structure for bookmarks.

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!
Question: What service ticketing systems do you guys use that's fast and web-based that's also free? Spiceworks is too bloaty, RT is the only one I've worked with that's open source, so any other suggestions of solutions you've had experience with would be awesome. Something that's easy to work with would be a benefit too, as non-IT staff would be using it eventually.

We're thinking about replacing Cherwell because it's ludicrously expensive and we don't actually use that many features of it to make the licensing costs worth it.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Cthulhuite posted:

Question: What service ticketing systems do you guys use that's fast and web-based that's also free? Spiceworks is too bloaty, RT is the only one I've worked with that's open source, so any other suggestions of solutions you've had experience with would be awesome. Something that's easy to work with would be a benefit too, as non-IT staff would be using it eventually.

We're thinking about replacing Cherwell because it's ludicrously expensive and we don't actually use that many features of it to make the licensing costs worth it.

We use OTRS because it's pretty easy and it's free.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

alg posted:

We use OTRS because it's pretty easy and it's free.
Same. It works pretty well for us, taking in probably 300-400 tickets per day across 40 or so queues.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
fart

Chickenwalker fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Sep 23, 2018

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Chickenwalker posted:

What do you guys use for PBX/phones? How hard is it to effectively manage QoS on the LAN side?

Cisco call manager, but I'm guessing you're not looking to spend an insane amount of money and set up a complex environment.

I've done Vonage and Shoretel Sky deployments, quality is fine but inter-office functions like call parking, barging, and transfer holds are extremely lacking. QoS is as simple as prioritizing the phone IP addresses.

vvv I was referring to the smaller cloud solutions where QoS is mostly configured on a single firewall / router device. With call manager we have professional configuration services touch every router and switch to properly set QoS, because when you're managing a six figure solution what's another 10k?

Judge Schnoopy fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Feb 18, 2016

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Chickenwalker posted:

What do you guys use for PBX/phones? How hard is it to effectively manage QoS on the LAN side?
Unlike Schnoopy we use DSCP to prioritize RTP traffic.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

It was relatively effortless for me to set up basic phone QoS with DSCP values as well.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Asterisk and Freepbx work fine.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
Hello!

I have a colleague whose focus\passion is networking. He has his CCNA. His role has him doing a lot of desktop support which we all know is soul crushing and I'm trying to find things to keep him engaged.

Apart from just studying for the next level Cisco cert, does anyone have any ideas on things he could lab out that relates to networking that is super interesting?

Swink fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Feb 18, 2016

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Swink posted:

Hello!

I have a colleague whose focus\passion is networking. He has his CCNA. His role has him doing a lot of desktop support which we all know is soul crushing and I'm trying to find things to keep him engaged.

Apart from just studying for the next level Cisco cert, does anyone have any ideas on things he could lab out that relates to networking that is super interesting?

Bird + haproxy + ecmp

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I passed the 70-411 MCSA exam today. I have a performance review later in the day. The agreement I had made with my boss was to get my MCSA before i'd get a raise and a promotion to tier 2.
Could I try to atleast get the raise during the performance review? This agreement was made back in january. I then passed the 410 exam and completed the 411 today. Could I try to say something along the lines of.

"I would like to get a raise because I passed the 410 exam in january, and the 411 in february. I'm planning on completing 412 in march"
Would that be stupid?

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

On the ticketing system: We currently used Remedy (:negative:) because our outsourced IT use it and my team piggy backs on to it, for supporting our hospital EPR. We work for the hospital and not outsourced IT, so getting any support for Remedy, states/changes/etc is pretty much a no go. More integration with outsourced IT isn't going to happen (for various reasons) and I'm trying to think of ways to improve/smooth out system support for our EPR.

Mainly because we used to run a very open "just call a team member" support process, but with our workload going up due to adding more functionally to our EPR and management pressure, they want info on support calls and a more rigorous support process. I'm guessing running a second system / helpdesk is a bad idea. But if anyone has any experience with doing it / having an internal team system, be useful to hear. Failing that, I guess we suck it up and live with Remedy and if things ever change with IT outsourcing, float that we use a different system.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Chickenwalker posted:

:smith:

:stonklol:

:suicide:

We have two Avaya Definity G3s and a Mitel, er, something or other, all connected (and I use that term loosely) over T1s that run on copper from the 60s that fails any time it rains.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

DroneRiff posted:

On the ticketing system: We currently used Remedy (:negative:) because our outsourced IT use it and my team piggy backs on to it, for supporting our hospital EPR. We work for the hospital and not outsourced IT, so getting any support for Remedy, states/changes/etc is pretty much a no go. More integration with outsourced IT isn't going to happen (for various reasons) and I'm trying to think of ways to improve/smooth out system support for our EPR.

Mainly because we used to run a very open "just call a team member" support process, but with our workload going up due to adding more functionally to our EPR and management pressure, they want info on support calls and a more rigorous support process. I'm guessing running a second system / helpdesk is a bad idea. But if anyone has any experience with doing it / having an internal team system, be useful to hear. Failing that, I guess we suck it up and live with Remedy and if things ever change with IT outsourcing, float that we use a different system.

You can get a second ticketing system internal to your group or team and set up e-bonding with Remedy. Some of our groups do that currently. I know of a ServiceNOW instance that e-bonds with a different department's ServiceNOW instance and also with an external company's Remedy system. So you can have your internal tickets and then tickets that will auto-create a ticket on other systems and keep them in sync.

However, it's not cheap to have someone come in and set all that stuff up correctly.

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

Welp, not really surprising it'd be a costly thing but at least I can say I thought about it. Will have to see what happens in the future. Shall be pushing for a change of system if we ever get the chance.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Sefal posted:

I passed the 70-411 MCSA exam today. I have a performance review later in the day. The agreement I had made with my boss was to get my MCSA before i'd get a raise and a promotion to tier 2.
Could I try to atleast get the raise during the performance review? This agreement was made back in january. I then passed the 410 exam and completed the 411 today. Could I try to say something along the lines of.

"I would like to get a raise because I passed the 410 exam in january, and the 411 in february. I'm planning on completing 412 in march"
Would that be stupid?

Definitely bring it up. You won't get anything you don't ask for.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Chickenwalker posted:

Asterisk and Free PBX

Also, the new iSymphony is pretty cool and runs way better than the previous ones.

Put your phones on a separate Vlan or physically separate network.
I wound up physically separating mine just because it was cheaper having half as many PoE switches.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Asterisk and Free PBX

Also, the new iSymphony is pretty cool and runs way better than the previous ones.

Put your phones on a separate Vlan or physically separate network.
I wound up physically separating mine just because it was cheaper having half as many PoE switches.

I do Avaya stuff. Avaya has ways to mark packets with DSCP values for both RTP and signalling packets. This is great, but the network has to honor the marked packets. Having a seperate voice vlan goes a long way in helping this. In fact, a lot of times if a working site suddenly starts having voice quality issues, the first thing we look at is if the IP phones got but into a data vlan.

Also, I was going to make a cynical post about how we mark packets, which the network then ignores, but it has gotten better and is only a pain point as people are transitioning from copper wire to networks, which has mostly happened.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Since VOIP stuff is coming up does anyone have any good links to learn about general telephony and voip? More of just a vocab and general overview? I dont need to know how to setup a freepbx server but could really use some broad education on the subject.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Don't you love it when an ex employee sues and you are brought in for questioning by HR? You know you didn't tell them what they wanted to hear when they stop writing and re-ask the question 3 times in 3 different ways.

:words: Did this employee ever complain to you about another employee blah blah blah blah

:colbert: *Tells the truth

:words: Are you sure employee ever complained about blah blah blah , did you misunderstand?

:colbert: That is how I remember it.

At this point anything that I replied that wasn't a "no" she stopped writing and we did the same song and dance. I am sure this point my statements are re-written and we settle out of court. What a dumb waste of time.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

SubjectVerbObject posted:

I do Avaya stuff. Avaya has ways to mark packets with DSCP values for both RTP and signalling packets. This is great, but the network has to honor the marked packets. Having a seperate voice vlan goes a long way in helping this. In fact, a lot of times if a working site suddenly starts having voice quality issues, the first thing we look at is if the IP phones got but into a data vlan.

Also, I was going to make a cynical post about how we mark packets, which the network then ignores, but it has gotten better and is only a pain point as people are transitioning from copper wire to networks, which has mostly happened.

We still had a separate voice vlan but I also had dedicated phone and data switches which made tagging ports on the switches, and diagnosing issues a million times easier.

We also had a fuckton of Grandstream phones. Those motherfuckers are CHATTY. Like cheap Chinese surveillance cam chatty. We had no choice but to put the phones on a separate vlan.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Since VOIP stuff is coming up does anyone have any good links to learn about general telephony and voip? More of just a vocab and general overview? I dont need to know how to setup a freepbx server but could really use some broad education on the subject.

Honestly, you might want to start with some old school telephony resources.
There's a lot of crossover in terminology from pstn to voip, and knowing it will help you sort out a lot of the cryptic options in asterisk.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Feb 18, 2016

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Chickenwalker posted:

SWIM: A contractor.

Sefal posted:

Would that be stupid?

Of course? If your boss doesn't bring it up you absolutely should. "Yo boss remember when we talked about me getting my MCSA to move up in the org? So I am like X% there and think I am ready now." If they balk discuss how you don't want to have to wait for the next review cycle to get a promotion for a cert you're going to have by X date. If they get huffy start your job search. If they start playing the "Well you know we only do this once a year" bullshit tell them you are OK with them doing it out of cycle and that's why you brought it up now. Unless they are literally the government they can do whatever the hell they want out of cycle.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Is this that same one that got fired for yelling at a C-level who mentioned the smell of her food or something? And said you play video games all day?

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

We still had a separate voice vlan but I also had dedicated phone and data switches which made tagging ports on the switches, and diagnosing issues a million times easier.

Does the cabling hit a different budget or something? Can't imagine ever being able to justify separate networks financially. The savings from one port per user using the passthrough on the IP phones is huge.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

KS posted:

Does the cabling hit a different budget or something? Can't imagine ever being able to justify separate networks financially. The savings from one port per user using the passthrough on the IP phones is huge.

Rule of thumb: if you can run one, run two.

I was the one who did the cabling, so it's not like they had to pay for the labor.
And cat5 is cheap, keystones are also pretty cheap, and you should have 2 runs per desk anyway for redundancy.

The only thing that increases the cost is needing more switches.
Even then, we just bought cheap 48 port switches, so :shrug:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
This is my office building, as designed by me and cabled by a professional: http://imgur.com/a/y4xej

Dual wiring pays for itself the first time a stack goes down, or the wireless goes down, etc. We terminate our APs there, and every desk gets 2 ports, both POE, both always hot. Everything is labeled end to end. This is one of two closets for the floor. Keystone colors match the cable colors, so each desk has a "blue" and a "white" port.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

H110Hawk posted:

This is my office building, as designed by me and cabled by a professional: http://imgur.com/a/y4xej

Dual wiring pays for itself the first time a stack goes down, or the wireless goes down, etc. We terminate our APs there, and every desk gets 2 ports, both POE, both always hot. Everything is labeled end to end. This is one of two closets for the floor. Keystone colors match the cable colors, so each desk has a "blue" and a "white" port.

At least shut down those ports on the switch. Thinking about an unused port being hot is enough to give me nightmares.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

KillHour posted:

At least shut down those ports on the switch. Thinking about an unused port being hot is enough to give me nightmares.

This is a reason people hate IT people. You shouldn't have to file a ticket to get a port "turned on." 802.1x solves all problems you may have. Connect it to Windows Server NPS and call it a day. If anyone suggests FreeRADIUS fire them on the spot.

Oh and every-other-wall in the conference rooms has 2 ethernet jacks as well. Also both always hot. Vendors and guests are welcome to plug in to them, they get put onto a internet-access-only vlan if they do. Every TV hung on the wall gets 2, etc. Wire is cheap, labor is not.

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Feb 18, 2016

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

H110Hawk posted:

This is a reason people hate IT people. You shouldn't have to file a ticket to get a port "turned on." 802.1x solves all problems you may have. Connect it to Windows Server NPS and call it a day. If anyone suggests FreeRADIUS fire them on the spot.

Oh and every-other-wall in the conference rooms has 2 ethernet jacks as well. Also both always hot. Vendors and guests are welcome to plug in to them, they get put onto a internet-access-only vlan if they do. Every TV hung on the wall gets 2, etc. Wire is cheap, labor is not.

I'm going to pull a Trump here and say I love 802.1x. I'm the least racist person against 802.1x in the world. But I don't trust 802.1x. People who trust 802.1x are losers. I'm a winner! Don't trust 802.1x.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

KillHour posted:

eh...it's not so bad if you do MAC allows / Port Security
Additionally, I THINK Cisco port security would be able to lock down traffic from devices plugged into passthrough ports on IP phones too.

oh yeah... or that

H110Hawk posted:

That is loving pretty.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Feb 18, 2016

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

eh...it's not so bad if you do MAC allows / Port Security
Additionally, I THINK Cisco port security would be able to lock down traffic from devices plugged into passthrough ports on IP phones too.

That is loving pretty.

Having hard coded MACs defeats the purpose of leaving them live and relying on 802.1x, though. I agree it's convenient, but you're relying on a single system that you're purposefully making extremely accessible to be set up without any errors and to have no bugs. Layered security is important.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Rule of thumb: if you can run one, run two.

I was the one who did the cabling, so it's not like they had to pay for the labor.
And cat5 is cheap, keystones are also pretty cheap, and you should have 2 runs per desk anyway for redundancy.

Oh, I ran two -- not questioning that. But you don't have redundancy if you're using both. Passthrough is still a good thing.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

KillHour posted:

Having hard coded MACs defeats the purpose of leaving them live and relying on 802.1x, though. I agree it's convenient, but you're relying on a single system that you're purposefully making extremely accessible to be set up without any errors and to have no bugs. Layered security is important.

I wouldn't say it defeats the purpose necessarily, just serves another one.

We don't want people plugging in devices that don't belong to our organization.
We also don't want people plugging in some devices that belong to our org, but don't belong on our LAN.

We use port security to achieve this.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I wouldn't say it defeats the purpose necessarily, just serves another one.

We don't want people plugging in devices that don't belong to our organization.
We also don't want people plugging in some devices that belong to our org, but don't belong on our LAN.

We use port security to achieve this.

Spoofing MAC addresses is hilariously easy and port security is incredibly annoying to maintain. If you're using Cisco ISE, you either profile or whitelist those devices and then place them on a highly restricted VLAN.

Something Awesome
Feb 14, 2007
i mean awful
What would you guys charge hourly for this kind of work?

Potential client is a place I worked for 5 years ago when I was a broke college student, since then I am now a semi-senior systems analyst at an F200. I don't really need the money, but hey, everyone loves money, plus I could do it from home (they are 4 hours away) while getting piss drunk). The client is notoriously pushy and demands the world and never wants to pay a thing to get it.

The current jam they are in? They want me to come fix the systems I setup 5 years ago and have since not received a minute of regular maintenance (but hey they just always worked so well!111). So now, predictably, I would imagine the final drive in the raid5 array died, logs filled up the drives, backups haven't been running since no one decided to ever cycle tapes or pay attention to that annoying morning scripted e-mail. I am sure other landmines are laying around like malware, pirated software, general IT misery.

Oh and they need to be up NOW and it's my responsibility for some reason? I refuse to hand out my cell phone number and am working through a dedicated e-mail address. They are being reasonable and saying they want some short term contract work, but I am not sure what the hell I should charge them and get in writing before I get anywhere near this toxic waste dump.

Quote some obscene triple digit/hour rate and force a contract signature? Tell them are are SOL? Anyone have any fun stories about old clients/bosses coming out of the woodwork?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Something Awesome posted:

Potential client is a place I worked for 5 years ago when I was a broke college student, since then I am now a semi-senior systems analyst at an F200. I don't really need the money, but hey, everyone loves money, plus I could do it from home (they are 4 hours away) while getting piss drunk). The client is notoriously pushy and demands the world and never wants to pay a thing to get it.

The current jam they are in? They want me to come fix the systems I setup 5 years ago and have since not received a minute of regular maintenance (but hey they just always worked so well!111). So now, predictably, I would imagine the final drive in the raid5 array died, logs filled up the drives, backups haven't been running since no one decided to ever cycle tapes or pay attention to that annoying morning scripted e-mail. I am sure other landmines are laying around like malware, pirated software, general IT misery.

Oh and they need to be up NOW and it's my responsibility for some reason? I refuse to hand out my cell phone number and am working through a dedicated e-mail address. They are being reasonable and saying they want some short term contract work, but I am not sure what the hell I should charge them and get in writing before I get anywhere near this toxic waste dump.

Quote some obscene triple digit/hour rate and force a contract signature? Tell them are are SOL? Anyone have any fun stories about old clients/bosses coming out of the woodwork?

At LEAST 240$/hr 8 hour minimum.

Edit* To clarify, that's not a gently caress you amount. It's an amount that should make them realize that pulling that stupid crap will cost them a lot, way more than doing basic maintenance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!

Something Awesome posted:

If it was me and they're as lovely as you make them sound, and it's as much work as you suggest, I'd tell them it's a thousand up front and that'll buy them the first 4 hours of work I put in. You don't want to get stuck with them thinking that because you set it up all those years ago, that you're responsible for fixing it for free - best to dissuade them of that immediately. Also make sure you get a contract, so that when they inevitably stiff you on the bill you have some recourse.

Or just tell them they're SOL and delete that e-mail account. v:v:v