Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Fangz posted:

If you've been reading John A's Twitter you'd know that he's planning a spin-off on Erin taking over hell.

I guess he wants to write something wildly different for a change of pace. Good on him, but it will be tough having the Winters' sisters as main characters in the comic and weekend feature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

ZearothK posted:

I guess he wants to write something wildly different for a change of pace. Good on him, but it will be tough having the Winters' sisters as main characters in the comic and weekend feature.

I *think* there will be a Charlotte babysitting story, also, possibly as the new weekend feature.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

None of these ideas sound as good as what's on the way out. :smith:

'specially not Erin in Hell. She was never a great character and we already covered that story, thank you very much. :colbert:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Well, I'm looking forward to all this, anyway.

EDIT: In particular looking forward to getting to the point where 100% of the comics I read are about demons.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Feb 17, 2016

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

So are we all agreed Claire set fire to the barn?

I'm also shocked and saddened at Lottie's lack of desire to pursue mysteries.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
I thought he was planning a Mordawwa story, which is not really the same thing as "Erin takes over Hell"

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

The supernatural element for this chapter was the "missing piece"

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

team overhead smash posted:

So are we all agreed Claire set fire to the barn?

could it be any more obvious?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Well, that was deeply unsatisfying in almost every way.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

This has been a story about the end of a childhood friend structure that's lasted most of their lives up to that point. Of course it's dissatisfying, but I think that's purposeful and appropriate. Bittersweet is the most honest way to end something as long-lasting and good as this, and it feels true to the characters. I definitely think this story was compelling and the right kind of send-off.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Also the newspost says there's another case after MORDAWWA and the Lottie babysitting story, so it's not like this is meant to be the capstone on Bad Machinery forever or whatever.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Oh, really? Huh. Foot, meet mouth. I missed the last clause of that sentence entirely.

Certainly felt like a finale.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

It still feels like a finale. Whatever may come up next will probably be rather different.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Well, MORDAWWA! just started. Allison wrote a big post explaining how did this comic even came to be. Some quotes:

"I think this is very meta. I’m an idiot."

"That I managed to form some kind of logical conclusion out of this still remains a career high point."

Godspeed, John Allison, I'll always love your crazy work. :allears:

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Saoshyant posted:

"That I managed to form some kind of logical conclusion out of this still remains a career high point."

That quote got me wondering to what extent Allison plots his comics out in advance? Perhaps the really crazy endings he often has are the result of him accidentally writing himself into corners and requiring a big nuclear explosion to reset the scenario back to normal.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

It's always been clear to me that he does the half approach: some planning (and you can see it), but lets things flow their own way too in case it works better, and then shepherd the results. And that works rather well for his work.

It's not a Stephen King situation where he can never come up with an ending and then just starts smoking weed and throwing poo poo at the walls trying to come up with something that will stick. And I mention that because I imagine you were talking about The Stand.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I was thinking more about the time Shelley and Amy accidentally awoke Poseidon, who arose from the depths with the city of Atlantis on his back, only to be taken out by Kim Jong-Il who happened to be nearby with a nuclear missile. The Stand works too, though.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
I like to think of it as the wild, flailing narrative reflecting the wild, flailing characters. I've always described the series to friends as "aggressively whimsical," so it follows that the plot makes a lot of unpredicted odd jaunts.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I think Allison was a lot more from the hip in the earlier days (Bobbins up into vector era Scary Go Round) with plots, but I think since Bad Machinery onward he's become a lot more disciplined, especially given that the title ties into the endings now.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Wait, so Erin KNOWS that Scientist is The Boy? You'd think she'd try and find a way to make him less, er, horsey if she could.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

He probably prefers it that way. Simpler thoughts, nothing much complex to worry about.

It's more hilarious that apparently everyone in hell knows who he is.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I could see Mordawwa getting drunk at the hell christmas party and telling everyone, or something.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Erin became queen of hell by being callous, she probably gets more respect for keeping her one true love as a pet.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

ZearothK posted:

Erin became queen of hell by being callous, she probably gets more respect for keeping her one true love as a pet.

Well, she actually became queen of hell by being less callous than everybody else in Hell, so that she was a radiant princess by comparison.

So, by leaping three inches over a very low bar.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Giant Days is on sale right now on Comixology, for people who haven't picked it up yet.....

https://www.comixology.com/Boom-Recent-Hits-Sale/page/9870

Something like a dollar per issue!

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Fangz posted:

Giant Days is on sale right now on Comixology, for people who haven't picked it up yet.....

Daisy's obsession with Friday Night Lights in Issue 8 is an amazing running gag.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Fangz posted:

Thanks for sharing this. I immediately bought all the ones I was missing and started spruiking at my comic-reading friends to get on board.

abardam
Mar 1, 2015
For regular comixology users, what are the odds that the other issues also go on sale? also what is the benefit of a subscription?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

The main benefit of a subscription is that you don't have to remember when the latest issue is out....

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Poor widdle Duke Horns is waaay out of his depth.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I'm not familiar with comic release terminology.

When John Allison says that Giant Days has been upgraded to an "ongoing" series, but the next issue is "issue 13 (of 6)", what does this mean? Have only six additional releases been commissioned, or is the next story going to take six issues?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

I think you may be seeing outdated information somewhere. "Out of 6" meant that originally it was a six issues mini series, but that turned into 12 issues somewhere down the line. Now it's been "upgraded" into a full series, so it doesn't have an ending in sight. So it's possible we'll see Giant Days #20 and up if Allison can keep producing more story for it.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I got it from the most recent newspost on scarygoround.com. But now that I reread it with that context I get that it's a joke I was missing.

quote:

So we’re back next month (April 6th) with issue 13 (of 6), the single biggest piece of Scary Go Round Universe fan service you can possibly imagine. Thanks for reading and spreading the word about Giant Days!

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Make Hell great again by shooting everything until normality is restored. A foolproof plan -- Duke Horns would make a great candidate for a certain country's presidential election.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Tweet from John Allison today:

"This one's really split my audience. More nice emails than for anything for a while, but a number of people have voted with their feet."

(I haven't worked out how to embed tweets while posting from my phone yet)

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I must be missing something, but why would today's comic cause any uproar? Or is he talking about a lot of people not caring much for Mordawwa?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

ZearothK posted:

I must be missing something, but why would today's comic cause any uproar? Or is he talking about a lot of people not caring much for Mordawwa?

Yeah, I'd imagine so. I have a lot of sympathy for Allison. He clearly wants to experiment and tell different types of stories but it's hard to do that without alienating some people.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
He's sent a few tweets: apparently, he's lost a lot of readers with this new story but it took a few weeks to really show up in the website stats.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Fangz posted:

He clearly wants to experiment and tell different types of stories but it's hard to do that without alienating some people.

Yeah, he tweeted pretty much that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

How does it compare to Robert Cop, though?

or Desmond Fishman

• Locked thread