Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

my dude's level 12, what's the coolest looking armor I can get? I'm tired of looking like poo poo

I have quests for cool armor but they're way beyond my level

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Deathlove posted:

Pretty sure that's Witch Hunter armor? That was basically my Geralt through his teens.

Witch Hunter armor is leather and studded, it looks like this:

I got a purple version of it from somewhere.

setafd posted:

my dude's level 12, what's the coolest looking armor I can get? I'm tired of looking like poo poo

I have quests for cool armor but they're way beyond my level

The armorer at the north of Oxenfurt always had a nice selection.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm really liking these contract missions. Most of them boil down to "go here, kill monster", but the presentation of Geralt's detective work really sells them. You're not just going to a place to kill a monster, it's a full on investigation that shows off his tracking skills and his encyclopedic knowledge of monsters.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
If I advance a little bit into the Skellige main quest stuff will it fail or close off any of my pending Novigrad quests?

I'm level 16, so I decided to hop on a ship hoping to grab the Undvik dlc armor from Skellige. I got there but the gate to the armorer is locked due to some random dude's wake. Can I safely progress and grab the armor and then fly back to Novigrad?

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

twistedmentat posted:

That's good. I was worried we just got the 3 areas because it would have felt like the open world wasn't as massive as people have said.

I feel like that quest comes way too early, becuase it's so good, and its hard for the rest of the game to beat it.

The Bloody Baron is probably the best and most impacting plotline I've ever seen in any game, no exceptions, which is all the more impressive given that the key actors are essentially disposable side characters.

My only real criticism is the same as yours; that the rest of the game struggles a little to reach that bar and we normally expect the best moments to be closer to the finale. On the other hand, in a 100 hour game, maybe it's a better choice to have the best chapter be the one that most players are more likely to finish. Even if you never make it into Novigrad, I can gaurantee you that nobody who finishes the Baron's story is going to forget it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I guess whoever you help solve the Bear Party becomes King, or Queen in my case?

Voyager I posted:

The Bloody Baron is probably the best and most impacting plotline I've ever seen in any game, no exceptions, which is all the more impressive given that the key actors are essentially disposable side characters.

My only real criticism is the same as yours; that the rest of the game struggles a little to reach that bar and we normally expect the best moments to be closer to the finale. On the other hand, in a 100 hour game, maybe it's a better choice to have the best chapter be the one that most players are more likely to finish. Even if you never make it into Novigrad, I can gaurantee you that nobody who finishes the Baron's story is going to forget it.

Yea, it's up there with the Mage recruitment quest in DAI as great questlines in recent games.

Where do you get this cool armor everyones talking about on Skellige?

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013
People keep speaking as if the Bloody B quest is the only good one in the game. I would say the Hearts of Stone quests beat the bloody baron quest in terms of storytelling. A tower full of mice, the clan quests in Skellige and Carnal sins are all other amazing quests.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, it's up there with the Mage recruitment quest in DAI as great questlines in recent games.

far and away beyond any quest in dragon age, imo

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Savy Saracen salad posted:

People keep speaking as if the Bloody B quest is the only good one in the game. I would say the Hearts of Stone quests beat the bloody baron quest in terms of storytelling. A tower full of mice, the clan quests in Skellige and Carnal sins are all other amazing quests.

Bloody Baron was real special but it got out-shone IMO by The Battle For Kaer Morhen and the immediate proceeding quest.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

It wasn't until this thread that I realized I hosed up and got duped by the end game of the Carnal Sins questline.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
It's funny because I didn't even check out the big Nilfgaard camp in Velen until my second playthrough. The main story never directs you there, you basically have to go out of your way to find it.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Savy Saracen salad posted:

People keep speaking as if the Bloody B quest is the only good one in the game.
The game is full of great quests but Bloody Baron definitely stands out even in comparison to other media outside of gaming. It has some really creative heartwrenching scenes that I was amazed I found in a game.

Like when the Baron first sees the monster that has become of his miscarried son and learns that he has to cradle him and accept him as his son. This isn't scary to him because it's a monster but because Baron has to fully acknowledge the guilt of being responsible for his own son's death - he has to face this reality instead of running away from it into alcohol and violence. It's amazing that this is actually properly pulled off, well directed, fully acted and shown instead of being telegraphed with dialogue. I consider this quest a remarkable achievement in the medium on a level that I didn't think AAA studios would reach - it's a little arthouse movie of its own that hits a string of truth that I've rarely seen explored in gaming (reminds me again how amazing Cart Life is, but that was just a little one-man indie project).

After that scene (which is just one of many in that quest) I say just gently caress off to Dragon Age/Fallout and all the usual gaming storytelling mediocrity I'm absolutely sick of that comes with them. You can tell powerful gut-punching stories in this medium that actually go beyond the level of young-adult fiction and you can do it in a huge blockbuster game.

So yeah, while I agree with you that this is a game full of great stories and saying that Bloody Baron is the only good quest is unfair - it's still an outstanding quest in this game.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

qbert posted:

If I advance a little bit into the Skellige main quest stuff will it fail or close off any of my pending Novigrad quests?

I'm level 16, so I decided to hop on a ship hoping to grab the Undvik dlc armor from Skellige. I got there but the gate to the armorer is locked due to some random dude's wake. Can I safely progress and grab the armor and then fly back to Novigrad?

None of your Novigrad stuff will fail, you can pretty freely do whatever zone you want without closing off quests in other zones.

There's really only one point in the game where progressing the main quest will lock you out of stuff, and you'll be very explicitly warned about it.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

qbert posted:

You won't fail any important quests until you come to a point in the game where it'll warn you to make a hard save. In Novigrad you can fail one or two unimportant quests involved in the underworld plotline if you jump ahead too far. You can fail a really minor quest involving some statuettes you pick up if you advance too far with Triss' story. Don't help her with anything until you're ready to move onto Skellige/Kaer Morhen.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'm really liking these contract missions. Most of them boil down to "go here, kill monster", but the presentation of Geralt's detective work really sells them. You're not just going to a place to kill a monster, it's a full on investigation that shows off his tracking skills and his encyclopedic knowledge of monsters.

I'm a little behind on this post, but The Witcher 3 is a great Batman game because of stuff like this

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Pellisworth posted:

None of your Novigrad stuff will fail, you can pretty freely do whatever zone you want without closing off quests in other zones.

There's really only one point in the game where progressing the main quest will lock you out of stuff, and you'll be very explicitly warned about it.

This isn't quite true, there's one (a few?) side quest that will fail when you head off to Kaer Morhen for the first time too without an explicit warning.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I want to rant a little bit about what I think is the low point in story telling in the Witcher 3. What happens when you try to have a romance with both Triss and Yen. It makes no sense. Especially from Yen's perspective. Why on earth would she be cool with Triss at all? Why would she team up with her for revenge? Triss has screwed Yen over just as much as Geralt has. Maybe even more because at least the first time Geralt had the excuse that he'd lost his memory. Triss had no such excuse and twice went massively out of her way to gently caress Yen's boyfriend. Yen is so upset about this she throws a bed out a window. Every time she mentions it it's with a tone of "don't loving push it or I'll teleport you into the sun I'm so mad about this". There's no way upon finding out her best friend was still screwing the guy she loved so much it was indistinguishable from a Genie's wish and had an adoptive daughter with she would just go "Tee hee, I have a fun idea. Let's get him drunk and tie him to a bed then leave him. Sisters for life!". I'm not saying she'd stay with Geralt after that but there's no way she'd react the way it happens in the game. She should tell that red-headed harlot to piss off to Kovir and never show her freckled face around here again.

I feel really weird having opinions about a romance in a video game.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

That scene is mostly a joke scene making fun of rpg players usually hooking up with every romance partner with no consequences. However I can also imagine a situation where an ex-wife and ex-girlfriend who hated one another in the past finally team up realizing that their love partner is using both of them - happens in real life often enough.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Palpek posted:

That scene is mostly a joke scene making fun of rpg players usually hooking up with every romance partner with no consequences. However I can also imagine a situation where an ex-wife and ex-girlfriend who hated one another in the past finally team up realizing that their love partner is using both of them - happens in real life often enough.

Possible sure but not in this situation. I got the point of the scene but I think it could have been done in way more interesting and satisfying way. Actually have some of the emotional devastation that all parties would have felt. The relationship between Geralt and Yen is a really big part of the witcher story. What a lame way to end it.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Does Geralt like portals?

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Possible sure but not in this situation. I got the point of the scene but I think it could have been done in way more interesting and satisfying way. Actually have some of the emotional devastation that all parties would have felt. The relationship between Geralt and Yen is a really big part of the witcher story. What a lame way to end it.

The whole game, yen is shown struggling with, but slowly overcoming her emotional turmoil. Triss is also shown to be apologetic to both parties. Also, all three parties can live for hundreds of years and live in a world where getting attached can get you killed. What doesn't make sense is how little punishment Geralt receives homestly, considering how volatile Yen is.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Pellisworth posted:

Good to know. Ultimately I just played it safe, waited like 1 more quest to get to 17, and then got the Cat Armor instead.

Edit: On another note, I'm kind of enjoying the change of pace of the Novigrad quests, at least so far. I like that you can get through most of them with little to no violence, which is nice after Velen.

qbert fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Feb 18, 2016

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Nasgate posted:

What doesn't make sense is how little punishment Geralt receives homestly, considering how volatile Yen is.

I totally agree. I just think it's odd that they wrote it so she has a total blind spot to what Triss has been doing. Triss has been an rear end in a top hat of a friend to Yen. Consider what she does at the ball. She knows Yen is back and it's implied in the rat catching quest that she assumes Yen and Geralt are back together. There's definitely more than a hint of bitterness/jealousy in the way she says "Nevermind, I got my answer". So what does she do? She pretends to be drunk, lures Geralt into a romantic situation and falls into his arms. Her actions at the ball (while bizarrely childish) were 100% contrived to steal Geralt from Yen.

I know I'm over thinking this, but the whole scenario just doesn't feel real to me - because of that I think it's a piece of poor writing and character development in an otherwise awesome game.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

I totally agree. I just think it's odd that they wrote it so she has a total blind spot to what Triss has been doing. Triss has been an rear end in a top hat of a friend to Yen. Consider what she does at the ball. She knows Yen is back and it's implied in the rat catching quest that she assumes Yen and Geralt are back together. There's definitely more than a hint of bitterness/jealousy in the way she says "Nevermind, I got my answer". So what does she do? She pretends to be drunk, lures Geralt into a romantic situation and falls into his arms. Her actions at the ball (while bizarrely childish) were 100% contrived to steal Geralt from Yen.

I know I'm over thinking this, but the whole scenario just doesn't feel real to me - because of that I think it's a piece of poor writing and character development in an otherwise awesome game.

Yen and Triss were best friends and they are both conflicted by this. Yen is angry but wants to maintain a friendship because not a lot of people like Yen.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

WirelessPillow posted:

Yen and Triss were best friends and they are both conflicted by this. Yen is angry but wants to maintain a friendship because not a lot of people like Yen.

Fine, but Triss is still a huge bitch and I don't like her.:colbert:

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

I think this is literally the first time on the internet I've seen someone discuss Triss and Yen and call Triss a bitch.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Crappy Jack posted:

I think this is literally the first time on the internet I've seen someone discuss Triss and Yen and call Triss a bitch.

Yen may be abrasive and aloof but she's at least loyal. Triss has a nicer demeanor and has better people skills but look at her actions. She either really loves Geralt and is willing to screw over her best friend to get him or she's insecure about Yen and just wants to prove something by stealing her boyfriend. I don't remember exactly what went on romance wise in Witcher 1 and 2 because it's been years since I played them but the impression I got was that Geralt got his memories back and realised Triss had been keeping him in the dark about Yen so she could continue her relationship with him. So he broke up with her, or they agreed to break up. Triss did not take it well. When they talk about it on the way to the granary she even makes a snide comment about it.

Christ, this game has me gossiping about fictional relationships between video game characters. It's so good.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Yen may be abrasive and aloof but she's at least loyal. Triss has a nicer demeanor and has better people skills but look at her actions. She either really loves Geralt and is willing to screw over her best friend to get him or she's insecure about Yen and just wants to prove something by stealing her boyfriend. I don't remember exactly what went on romance wise in Witcher 1 and 2 because it's been years since I played them but the impression I got was that Geralt got his memories back and realised Triss had been keeping him in the dark about Yen so she could continue her relationship with him. So he broke up with her, or they agreed to break up. Triss did not take it well. When they talk about it on the way to the granary she even makes a snide comment about it.

Christ, this game has me gossiping about fictional relationships between video game characters. It's so good.

Yeah in the first game Triss basically tricks Geralt into thinking they had the relationship he and Yen had. Whether that was originally intended to be weird and skeevy or if it was just the writers not feeling comfortable writing Yen for whatever reason I couldn't say.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
After 25 hours of playtime, I'm off to Novigrad. On my way there, I picked up a Witcher contract from the Redanian border garrison to find out what's been attacking the caravans, and it turns out to be Squirrels. I gave up my weapons to go see their commander, and then I had a fun time beating them to death with my bare hands because I was way overleveled for that contract. Stupid elves.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
What's up with the blacksmith at the main castle in Skellige? Sometimes he can be interacted with, and sometimes he can't. It's annoying because he is the easiest to get to blacksmith i've found.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Yeah in the first game Triss basically tricks Geralt into thinking they had the relationship he and Yen had. Whether that was originally intended to be weird and skeevy or if it was just the writers not feeling comfortable writing Yen for whatever reason I couldn't say.

Intentional, Triss behaves that way in the books.

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

twistedmentat posted:

What's up with the blacksmith at the main castle in Skellige? Sometimes he can be interacted with, and sometimes he can't. It's annoying because he is the easiest to get to blacksmith i've found.

I have this exact problem. I have a quest I need to talk to him about and can't finish it, so I've just started ignoring his rear end.

I've also done what i thought was every witcher contract but hadn't got the achievement. I looked down the list and noticed (from memory) that I hadn't done "Dragon." You know, because you'd not forget a badass named contract. I've hit up every noticeboard in Skellige so is this a case of just finding the guy who starts it and going from there? Seems weird it's not on my contracts and not a single notice board has a new note on it. I want a new useless trophy to hang off my horse, drat it.

Also this is my favourite ever rpg and maybe even game. I'm a few quests past the kaer morhen big ruckus and am now clearing the sidequests I missed and am now horribly over-levelled for. I also never noticed the massive nilfgaard camp (as someone mentioned above) until I had to go south of the crones for a really fun mission.

I'm playing as a pure combat build (because SWORDS) with cat school, +500 vit and jedi mind tricks as my last 3 skills and I, at this point, only have one greater red mutagen and one red mutagen. I'm having to run two lesser red mutagens and it is so, so annoying. Lessers just do not drop for me. Fiends, hags and nekkers can pretty much gently caress off.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Another thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is that sorceresses do stick together despite some private conflicts they may have. They have to, it's a matter of survival in the political climate. They even need to hold their ground against sorcerers. That's why I find it totally believable for Yen and Triss to cooperate when they find out that Geralt was loving both of them at the same time. It may be even needed for them as a bonding experience as they both know they'll have to work together sooner or later and in the time of need nobody will help them except for their own kind.

And when it comes to relationships? Even in the books there was a scene of 3 sorceresses sitting together (including Yen) at a table in a sort of 'so we all slept with Geralt' club meeting and each of them still trying hard to maintain their friendships.

Notice that even in the aformentioned bed throwing scene Yen does this only in front of the witchers and aims her anger towards Geralt but when Triss comes to Kaer Morhen Yen doesn't mention anything to her and tries her best to keep up the appearances. She doesn't want to risk destroying that friendship, it's too valuable.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Yen is actually pretty insecure. She doesn't hate Triss (they have flings when the other isn't around and that's fine) but she hates Geralt bringing up what happened, even to apologise because it makes what happened more important and serious which makes her think that maybe Geralt doesn't *really* want to be with her. This is why you have the whole genie quest later in the game because she has to know if Geralt genuinely wants to be with her or if he just keeps coming back because of the destiny spell.

Nycticeius
Feb 25, 2008

This is the part when you try to stop me and I beat the hell out of you.

Palpek posted:

And when it comes to relationships? Even in the books there was a scene of 3 sorceresses sitting together (including Yen) at a table in a sort of 'so we all slept with Geralt' club meeting and each of them still trying hard to maintain their friendships.

What scene was this? I can't recall.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Nycticeius posted:

What scene was this? I can't recall.
It's in one of the last chapters of Season of Storms and one of them is actually an apprentice sorceress but still.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Only just recently got the 2nd level of Quen fully upgraded - goddamn, it's like godmode. I've been pumping most of my points into Igni, but it seems like it's never really getting that much more powerful. It's still extremely useful, stunlocking enemies with the flamethrower attack is great, but it never seems like the damage increases much no matter how much I increase my sign %. (Cat Armour + Magic build is still stupidly good)

I've also found some stupid gaudy golden heavy armour boots, but even before I slapped in some ign glyphs they give an absurd +22% to igni so they're never coming off. They are my greatest shame.

How many other people dress Geralt according to the climate of wherever you are? I'm too into this stupid game.

Nycticeius
Feb 25, 2008

This is the part when you try to stop me and I beat the hell out of you.

Palpek posted:

It's in one of the last chapters of Season of Storms and one of them is actually an apprentice sorceress but still.

Oh, that's the one I haven't read yet - it hasn't come out in English yet, has it?

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

McKilligan posted:

How many other people dress Geralt according to the climate of wherever you are? I'm too into this stupid game.

I don't, but i do take a moment to express "THIS IS WRONG :negative:" when i go to Skellige in armor that doesn't look warm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Thanks for telling me there's another Witcher book I didn't know about. I was kind of bummed out that Blood and Wine was gonna be the last Witcher thing. Guess that feeling gets held off for awhile.