Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

CJacobs posted:

Max Payne 3's file structure counts as a little thing if you're a big ol nerd who likes to see game infrastructure trainwrecks. That game is almost 30 gb large because there are separate copies of every texture and model file for every map it's in- every gun, every ground texture, every random trash model of a traffic cone. Everything that appears more than once has an exact copy stored in the .rpf file for the relevant chapter. There are 13 models of Max, which pull from a resevoir of almost 40 different head and arm textures, like 30 different clothing textures, and so on and so on. The fmv cutscenes and audio files are all completely uncompressed. There's an unholy amount of stuff that is completely unused because it was either cut or phased out in development but still required for the game to run. It is just a wonderful piece of madness to behold. It's really a wonder that game even runs at all, let alone as well as it does.

Except the entire reason it's like that is an optimization, since sequential reads are faster than random ones. They wanted loading a level to done all in one long read from disc, so they duplicated every asset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
In Dead Space 3, human enemies have a RIG just like Isaac and Carver that shows their health levels. I thought it was a nice touch even though those enemies are too far away for you to really notice it most of the time. I also really like how there is a stasis sharing weapon perk for cooperative play, as it really comes in handy if one player has a ton of stasis packs in their inventory while the other player has none.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

QuietLion posted:

In Dead Space 3, human enemies have a RIG just like Isaac and Carver that shows their health levels. I thought it was a nice touch even though those enemies are too far away for you to really notice it most of the time. I also really like how there is a stasis sharing weapon perk for cooperative play, as it really comes in handy if one player has a ton of stasis packs in their inventory while the other player has none.

All the human characters wear RIG's, and they're a really clever idea for both in-world and game-wise; They're there to let everyone else have a general idea of what your health/stasis is during dangerous space work.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I liked how in Dead Space 3 all human enemies would get torn to shreds by your weapons.

Which makes sense, you're basically using the equivalent of construction gear.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Neddy Seagoon posted:

All the human characters wear RIG's, and they're a really clever idea for both in-world and game-wise; They're there to let everyone else have a general idea of what your health/stasis is during dangerous space work.

Even the crappy direct-to-DVD cartoon movie went to the trouble of animating RIGs on everyone.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I bought Dragon Quest Heroes since I have a console now. I put it in, turned on the game, the music started, and I got punched in the face with nostalgia. So there's that. I like that.

I hope there's a part where someone constantly asks "Dost thou love me?"

Edit: Holy poo poo the dialogue is incredibly cheesy I love every bit of it.

Edit 2: I just went super Saiyan. This owns.

Push El Burrito has a new favorite as of 07:34 on Feb 18, 2016

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

princecoo posted:

I really appreciate how XCOM 2 is so open to modding. It's like the developers went "here is the game we wanted to make, have fun. But also, we know there are things that people will probably want to change, so gently caress it, here you go, make something great with our game."

Same goes to the Elder Scrolls/Fallout games, any time a developer makes their games mod friendly it makes me happy.

Compared to devs like Rockstar who create these rich amazing worlds ripe with opportunity but then actively try to gently caress modders over because gently caress you, you play how we want you to play.

It's especially good to see from XCOM 2, because unlike Bethesda, Firaxis don't have a consistent and deep history with modding. They've had it in the past, sure, but it was a very minor focus for Civ and not at all a focus for XCOM: EU. But they loved what the Long War mod for EU did so much that not only did they expand mod support massively over any of their previous titles, they specifically brought in the Long War guys to help with it.

In fact, they're kind of upstaging Bethesda here on this one, the Fallout 4 mod tools still aren't here.

John Pastor
Jan 5, 2007

I think I'd like to hold off judgment on a thing like that, sir, until all the facts are in... I don't think it's quite fair to condemn the whole program because of a single slip up, sir.

carry on then posted:

Except the entire reason it's like that is an optimization, since sequential reads are faster than random ones. They wanted loading a level to done all in one long read from disc, so they duplicated every asset.

And yet, their loads are hilariously long and buried in unskippable cutscenes.

I would say that their optimization theories are mildly flawed.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

carry on then posted:

Files aren't stored as giant contiguous sequences of bytes. Just cramming everything you want to load together won't magically improve load times, because that one file is probably in a bunch of pieces all over the disc.

It would probably reduce the total seek time but it wouldn't eliminate it and let you load everything with one sequential read, and it's questionable whether that's worth increasing the size of the game so much (as well as what a mess it must have been to have to update an asset in 5 different places during development).

Owl Inspector has a new favorite as of 09:11 on Feb 18, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The reason Max Payne 3 uses such a nutso file structure is because the game uses the same engine Rockstar uses for the GTA games, slightly modified a bit. The problem is that their world-bubble-streaming-loading thing doesn't really work when you apply it to a linear story based video game, so to get around that they made cutscenes into loading zones since there are so drat many of them. What this results in however is that they have to make sure the game is loaded before you are able to skip the cutscene so you don't plop into an unfinished section of the level, and thus all of the cutscene skip points in Max Payne 3 are predetermined and it actually doesn't matter how fast you load the next segment. So their optimization technique was basically totally useless.

Nuebot posted:

Except exactly the opposite happened with GTAV. You could easily just pop open cheat engine and gently caress with the game to your heart's content but very few people got banned for it. Meanwhile when they cracked down on cheaters, it was people using graphics mods and stuff for the single player that first got hit by the bans.

This did not happen.

edit: In fact, the only evidence I ever saw of people getting banned for single player mods in GTA 5 is when they were a dumbass and didn't disable them before going into the multiplayer. Rockstar even straight-up said they wouldn't ban people for single player mods.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 10:55 on Feb 18, 2016

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Cleretic posted:

In fact, they're kind of upstaging Bethesda here on this one, the Fallout 4 mod tools still aren't here.

I've never understood how Bethesda keeps making games from the same bundled-together Oblivion engine incrementally improved and can yet never release their mod tools on time.

barcoded
Jan 4, 2007

In Gang Beasts, your gelatinous brawling characters keep giggling. I don't know why they included this, but somehow it makes the game so much better

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

CJacobs posted:

edit: In fact, the only evidence I ever saw of people getting banned for single player mods in GTA 5 is when they were a dumbass and didn't disable them before going into the multiplayer. Rockstar even straight-up said they wouldn't ban people for single player mods.
Unless you threaten to cut into their Funbux sales. Even if you just helped out on the reddit they took your game taken away from you.
Gotta get that funbuuuux.
Also they give pretty much zero (0) fucks about hacking online. Constant server-wide instant killing are fine, unless you're hacking money, then you get banned.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

How big would Max Payne 3 PC have been had they properly compressed the assets? I recall Titanfall being 40gb in size, with 25gb of that being uncompressed audio.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

How big would Max Payne 3 PC have been had they properly compressed the assets? I recall Titanfall being 40gb in size, with 25gb of that being uncompressed audio.

Audio.rpf is thankfully only 4-ish GB because they were smart enough to make multi-track audio for the game's music instead of making a bunch of different audio files that layer on top of each other. The real killer are the fmv cutscenes- game has nearly 12 GB of uncompressed cutscenes that are maybe a minute or two long apiece.

The biggest ones are the connecting videos they stuck between chapters of the game:

(s_fashion is only 3 minutes long)

But this is just a small sampling. Anything that shows up on a computer screen, or a television, or a logo or anything like that is in nearly uncompressed 1080p unless it's seen from a very far distance, which is crazy.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 13:53 on Feb 18, 2016

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

I bought Dragon Quest Heroes since I have a console now. I put it in, turned on the game, the music started, and I got punched in the face with nostalgia. So there's that. I like that.

I hope there's a part where someone constantly asks "Dost thou love me?"

Edit: Holy poo poo the dialogue is incredibly cheesy I love every bit of it.

Edit 2: I just went super Saiyan. This owns.
I love the consistency throughout the DQ series--music/SFX especially, but also character design, enemies, overall tone. You can pick up any DQ-titled game and feel that rush of nostalgia. I'm playing DQ Theatrhythm now and really digging it, and now I see I might have to pick up DQ Heroes, too. :allears:

I never played a DQ game growing up, though I watched others play; I was more into FF. I started feeling like the FF series took itself way too goddamn seriously, though, so I'm firmly in the DQ camp now.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

John Pastor posted:

Try reading. I didn't say it worked, I just said it was on purpose and something they tried, rather than some incompetent developer accident. And Steam has the ability to defragment game files, I'll bet they recommend people encountering slow loading try that.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Xoidanor posted:

Hahahaha, oh how times have changed in just 10 years. :allears:

Meanwhile, we got a full-frontal of a rich middle aged guy's shriveled penis and balls in Ballad of Gay Tony and nobody really cared.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

John Pastor posted:

Actually, the worst part is, they aren't! It's all unskippable cutscenes. Someone ran some tools, and when it gives you the "still loading" prompt when you try to skip a cutscene... it isn't. At least, not most of the time. It's just programmed to say that until a certain amount of time has passed.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Meanwhile, we got a full-frontal of a rich middle aged guy's shriveled penis and balls in Ballad of Gay Tony and nobody really cared.

Hating video games stopped being politically viable as all the teenagers that grew up on Quake and GTA reached voting age around that time and were having none of that poo poo.

Or that's my guess anyway :shrug:

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

John Pastor posted:

The point of all that optimization was to get things to load in anything approaching a reasonable time when reading from an optical disc. We forget this in the age of ubiquitous digital distribution, but optical drives are slooowwww. I'm sure you'd find that an Xbox 360 reading from the disc takes almost exactly as long to load the next area as the cutscene skip lockout lasts.

It's just disappointing they hosed up actually skipping the cutscenes on faster platforms. It's a game I quite enjoy, but I can't stand to replay it because of that annoyance.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Hirayuki posted:

I love the consistency throughout the DQ series--music/SFX especially, but also character design, enemies, overall tone. You can pick up any DQ-titled game and feel that rush of nostalgia. I'm playing DQ Theatrhythm now and really digging it, and now I see I might have to pick up DQ Heroes, too. :allears:

I never played a DQ game growing up, though I watched others play; I was more into FF. I started feeling like the FF series took itself way too goddamn seriously, though, so I'm firmly in the DQ camp now.

I like all the slime puns :3:

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

I haven't played Just Cause 3 yet, but I'm glad this kind of thing can happen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eB6_pZnc6fI

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

I like all the slime puns :3:

Another thing in DQ Heroes' favor is that they managed to get the most british kid possible to voice that slime or something. I love the ridiculous accents and voices in the localizations, in the DS remakes they even went through the effort to put it into text which was great.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3DMGa7qZkw

THAT BASTARD

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

It happened too fast, whatever it was. How did he screw himself over?

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

FredMSloniker posted:

It happened too fast, whatever it was. How did he screw himself over?

Player puts fan on wall. Recording puts fan on pressure plate, powering fan just placed on wall. Player steps into fan's area of influence, gets pushed into floating mine that was in the path of influence.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

My clone dropped the forcefield, which made the fan on the other side blow me into the fan pointed at the mine. You can't move at all once a fan is pushing you so I pretty much betrayed me

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Digirat posted:

My clone dropped the forcefield, which made the fan on the other side blow me into the fan pointed at the mine. You can't move at all once a fan is pushing you so I pretty much betrayed me

Never trust anyone. Not even yourself.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Digirat posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sc5iTNVEOAg

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
In Dead Space 3, you can set little scavenger bots to collect materials while you're away from a workbench. If you place the bots in the snow, they leave little trails in the snow and even leave a tiny hole if they scoot into a snowdrift. :3:

Also they are absurdly powerful; I saw one push a box that was at least four times its size!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I always appreciate when a game rationalises a New Game Plus. In Lightning Returns, you begin the game with Lumina breaking Lightning's sword so that Snow can't just let Lightning kill him. At the end of the game you can forge the Ultima weapon, which happens to be the complete version of the sword Lumina broke. Lumina is simply making sure that you can't break the NG+ by bringing the Ultima Weapon along

I always like that sort of thing.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
Bastion had a similar thing. In the ending, you can use the eponymous Bastion to reverse time to before the apocalypse - it does turn back time, but not quite far enough, and you come back to the protagonist waking up after it happened, at the very beginning of the game. You also have another option for the ending, where you don't do that. I haven't messed around enough to know if it means you just don't unlock NG+.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

:goonsay:
That was actually in Lost and the Damned

For content I love the champagne drinking game in TBoGT because if you do it right you pass out and wake up in some random part of LC, like inside a fountain.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Couldn't you wake up way high up in the air with a parachute? Or am I thinking of 5?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

CJacobs posted:

Couldn't you wake up way high up in the air with a parachute? Or am I thinking of 5?

Yes you could, though at least from my own experience that rarely happened. You were more likely to wake up inside the Statue of Happyness with a parachute on, the already mentioned fountain, and the ramp/dumpster in Star Junction.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Aithon posted:

Bastion had a similar thing. In the ending, you can use the eponymous Bastion to reverse time to before the apocalypse - it does turn back time, but not quite far enough, and you come back to the protagonist waking up after it happened, at the very beginning of the game. You also have another option for the ending, where you don't do that. I haven't messed around enough to know if it means you just don't unlock NG+.

They did a great job tying the game's NG+ mode into a story-relevant thing. You can do NG+ regardless of which ending you choose, but in NG+ the narrator sometimes interjects things like "didn't I already...?" and generally implies this has all happened before. It assumes you picked the ending where you went back in time, because otherwise you wouldn't be seeing this all a second time. It's also a pretty subtle way of indicating which ending the game considers the good ending--Going back in time isn't going to change the fact that the same people who caused the apocalypse the first time are still there and won't be any different this time around. You can only accept what's happened, make it a part of yourself and move on having learned from it.

Much like the talos principle, bastion would still have been a good game if it didn't absolutely nail the ending the way it did, but doing so took it from good game territory to something memorable and awesome.

Owl Inspector has a new favorite as of 00:27 on Feb 20, 2016

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Thin Privilege posted:

:goonsay:
That was actually in Lost and the Damned

For content I love the champagne drinking game in TBoGT because if you do it right you pass out and wake up in some random part of LC, like inside a fountain.

Whoops, my bad. :v: I forgot that the rich lawyer/politician dude was connected to the bikers for a reason.

Sorry, I don't make too much of an effort in keeping my memory of old guy dick and balls straight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
John C. Lilly was a prominent researcher in dolphin communication who, among other things, tried to unlock inter-species telepathy by giving dolphins LSD, trying to teach dolphins a computer language, and did an experiment where a human woman and a male dolphin lived together in a partially-submerged lab for ten weeks. He was also fond of experimenting on his own psyche, having invented the sensory-deprivation tank and spent countless hours using one while tripping balls on LSD and/or Ketamine.

Unsurprisingly, he wound up being unhinged and swore that aliens were communicating with him and guiding him to be humanity's savior. The alien entity he claimed to communicate with was called the Earth Coincidence Control Office. Or, for short, E.C.C.O.