Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MalcolmSheppard
Jun 24, 2012
MATTHEW 7:20

Helical Nightmares posted:

Very interesting. Were you involved with brick-and-mortar retailers or distributors?

In various capacities, with local retailers and publishers, and I was in contact with a printer that handled orders from WW and GoO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MalcolmSheppard
Jun 24, 2012
MATTHEW 7:20

Grim posted:

The Tremere thing is more pointing out that people just fuckin' love them, not commentary on how interesting they actually are :)

This reminds me. I was talking to another designer about how V:TM might be redesigned and he was like, "Get rid of the Tremere," but I explained that you can't, because folks like them too much. Especially LARPers, where Tremere organizational stuff highly motivates players, especially if they're lil' heel-clickers to begin with.

This brings me back to what works for Vampire that can be taken from Nordic LARP. WW's stereotype was to produce these enormous books that folks would read and STs would interpret and release bits of through play. The College of Wizardry LARP isn't really "light." There's an enormous book full of spells and lore. The difference is that this is explicitly player-facing material. There's no double talk about knowledge, because the book exists in the world. Lots of WoD stuff could be used that way, and was written to support it, but wasn't explicitly released this way. Tremere have an advantage in that they have more player-facing lore to guide what they do and provide a sense of purpose.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

MalcolmSheppard posted:

In various capacities, with local retailers and publishers, and I was in contact with a printer that handled orders from WW and GoO.

It's also fairly well documented in Designers & Dragons as well, for those who are curious.

AFAIK, no oWoD game after Mage was an unqualified success, and White Wolf had seen diminishing returns year after year. Without the nWoD, I think the WoD would have crashed harder and sooner. It was what the line needed at the time, but it's likely nothing could have actually saved it with the market and economic forces in play.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Alien Rope Burn posted:

AFAIK, no oWoD game after Mage was an unqualified success, and White Wolf had seen diminishing returns year after year.

At least it made being a collector of oMummy really easy!

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

MalcolmSheppard posted:

This brings me back to what works for Vampire that can be taken from Nordic LARP. WW's stereotype was to produce these enormous books that folks would read and STs would interpret and release bits of through play. The College of Wizardry LARP isn't really "light." There's an enormous book full of spells and lore. The difference is that this is explicitly player-facing material. There's no double talk about knowledge, because the book exists in the world. Lots of WoD stuff could be used that way, and was written to support it, but wasn't explicitly released this way. Tremere have an advantage in that they have more player-facing lore to guide what they do and provide a sense of purpose.
You warm my heart. I did a big post on some of that a page or two ago. Anyway, i helped write CoW's handbook, and one of the big, important things was that you weren't required to really read any of the matierial. It was there as teaching material and inspiration, and because everyone had the book at the larp, if you referenced it and someone didn't know, you could say 'oh, it's in the book' and they would be able to go look at it if they thought it was cool or if it was a plot they wanted to have fun with.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

LatwPIAT posted:

At least it made being a collector of oMummy really easy!

Was oMummy good? I never hear anyone talk about it.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Gilok posted:

It's REALLY hard to say, because each of the three (I think?) iterations of Mummy was a markedly a different game mechanically from the one before it with very little consistency.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Let me put it this way. There are few oWoD products I've had less recollection of than any incarnation of oMummy. They just... Didn't make an impression.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Gilok posted:

Since I own the entire line of Mummy: the Ressurection (all two books!) I believe I'm well-qualified to speak on this. :v:

It's... dull. A lot of thought and effort was put into making Mummies their own distinct thing in the World of Darkness with their own ties to the other supernaturals and the alike, and it doesn't really matter one bit because there's basically nothing to do. The only real hook Mummies have is that they fight the servants of Set (vampires in general and the Children of Set in particular), and other than that the Mummies just kind of are there. In the great lineup of old World of Darkness games, the Mummies inhabit the role of "...and Mummies were there too." There's some hints at something really interesting there though; Mummies have a Solar-like two-part soul that consists of both an ancient Egyptian and a recently dead person, which could make for some interesting personal roleplay in the vein of Promethean, but in the end nothing is done with it. There's also an appendix of rules for non-Egyptian Mummies, which is slightly more interesting if just for novelty. It allows you to play smoke-dried Incan Fire-Mummies!

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
The only thing most people know about oMummy is the three-dot power that does agg damage to an area equivalent to a small town.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Gilok posted:

Mummy: the Resurrection is difficult to play without some changes, IIRC, because you either have to be based out of Egypt the Middle East The Web of Faith, or you need to be travelling back there at least once a month, because otherwise you can't recharge your Mummy Energy.

There are some cool ideas sprinkled throughout, and I especially liked the character creation: you make a normal person, then kill them, and add on the Mummy aspect to it. Kind of a dry run for the way nWoD does it. A supplement expanding the appendix about non-Egyptian mummies would have been very welcome.

It would have been a very good game with another pass through for balance and playability and some better editing. A lot of the good things in the book were poached for nWoD, as I mentioned above, and that makes the game a very interesting read, even if you don't play it, if you're into that sort of "game genealogy".

Toph Bei Fong fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Feb 18, 2016

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

MalcolmSheppard posted:

Tremere organizational stuff highly motivates players, especially if they're lil' heel-clickers to begin with.

Laughed out loud at this.

Anyway, what you do is you keep them but you make them people who knew what they were getting into - mages who tired of petty willworking and consensus-shaping and sought, instead, for direct access to the mind and power of God. Obviously you get that stuff right in the blood of Caine's descendants, and obviously it should specifically produce a power suite that resembles the Path of Father's Judgment/Theban Sorcery rather than http://www.d20srd.org/indexes/spells.htm

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Ferrinus posted:

Anyway, what you do is you keep them but you make them people who knew what they were getting into - mages who tired of petty willworking and consensus-shaping and sought, instead, for direct access to the mind and power of God. Obviously you get that stuff right in the blood of Caine's descendants, and obviously it should specifically produce a power suite that resembles the Path of Father's Judgment/Theban Sorcery rather than http://www.d20srd.org/indexes/spells.htm
Is it wrong that I really really want a Path of D&D that has iconic low level spells at every dot? I think it's be fuckin' hilarious to have a Tremere that actually fires magic missiles (for bashing damage) and casts Color Spray (which only affects mortals) and the like.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Yeah, the problem with Mummy: the Resurrection was that a) it basically demands that you play in the modern Middle East, b) it's deceptive about this fact so that you won't figure it out without reading it, and c) it doesn't really provide even a fraction of the support random American nerds would need to do this without being super disrespectful.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Lets not pretend that being in the same timezone ballpark makes European nerds more able than Americans to play with middle-eastern culture without incident.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Gerund posted:

Lets not pretend that being in the same timezone ballpark makes European nerds more able than Americans to play with middle-eastern culture without incident.

Oh, yeah, probably; I just can't speak for those.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Can you imagine what Mummy: The Resurrection would look like if written during or shortly after the Arab Spring?

(Mind you, I don't particularly enjoy nMummy, either.)

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Ferrinus posted:

What if every character wasn't a jaded, genre-savvy wizard who'd figured out the actual real truth and was making the most efficient possible beeline towards it

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Attorney at Funk posted:

What if every character wasn't a jaded, genre-savvy wizard who'd figured out the actual real truth and was making the most efficient possible beeline towards it

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Rand Brittain posted:

Yeah, the problem with Mummy: the Resurrection was that a) it basically demands that you play in the modern Middle East, b) it's deceptive about this fact so that you won't figure it out without reading it, and c) it doesn't really provide even a fraction of the support random American nerds would need to do this without being super disrespectful.

This is actually something I'd really like to see, modern settings described in the same detail as a city in an RPG sourcebook, and toward the same purpose. Like, if I want to be from Waterdeep there's books that will tell me what the town is like, who lives there, what their lives are like, who's important there, what are the politics like, what's the geography like, what sort of food they eat, and on and on. I want that book, but for Baghdad or Moscow.

Anything like that that I'm aware of either isn't built for RPGs and is more geared toward tourists than teaching you what it's like to live there, or is an RPG supplement that is mostly about the game setting as it pertains to the city. White Wolf sourcebooks tend to touch on what I'm looking for a little bit, but still feel more like visitor's guides and don't make me feel like I can paint a good picture of a city I've never been to for my players or accurately portray a resident.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Gilok posted:

This is actually something I'd really like to see, modern settings described in the same detail as a city in an RPG sourcebook, and toward the same purpose. Like, if I want to be from Waterdeep there's books that will tell me what the town is like, who lives there, what their lives are like, who's important there, what are the politics like, what's the geography like, what sort of food they eat, and on and on. I want that book, but for Baghdad or Moscow.

Anything like that that I'm aware of either isn't built for RPGs and is more geared toward tourists than teaching you what it's like to live there, or is an RPG supplement that is mostly about the game setting as it pertains to the city. White Wolf sourcebooks tend to touch on what I'm looking for a little bit, but still feel more like visitor's guides and don't make me feel like I can paint a good picture of a city I've never been to for my players or accurately portray a resident.

They aren't made for RPGs, but you can find those Frommer's and Baedeker's guides at most bookstores and public libraries, and despite being for tourists, they do actually give a pretty good sense of the region and its people. They'll give you a quick, canned history of the region, all its major geography, some taboos to avoid if you're not local, the notable sights and destinations, good restaurants and stores, etc, as much as in your average RPG sourcebook anyways.

The older ones, especially, were the go to guides for writers who didn't live in a region. Vintage Baedeker's are an absolute goldmine.

You'll need to make up your own NPCs though.

Bikindok
May 3, 2012
So, I was going over that Changeling 2e stuff mentioned earlier, and I kinda noticed something weird. Y'know how in 1e harvesting Glamour from emotions had no direct penalty for the subject? Like, if you did it right it was at worst a victimless crime. But in 2e, harvesting from someone gives them the Reticent condition, which is, uhh.

"Your character has lost emotion, and is but a dull reflection of her normal self. She loses all Willpower, and cannot regain Willpower so long as she has this Condition. However, she gains a +3 bonus to any attempts to manipulate her emotions, or move her to impulsive action. If left unchecked, this Condition lasts either one week, or two days per dot of the changeling’s Wyrd who caused it, whichever is longer."

So, Changelings are like pseudo-vampires now? I mean, I didn't have a problem with Mask and Mien being swiped wholesale because they fit and made sense, and Touchstones were okay once you got used to them, but I'm not sure I'm a fan of leaving people psychically drained husks.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Bikindok posted:

So, I was going over that Changeling 2e stuff mentioned earlier, and I kinda noticed something weird. Y'know how in 1e harvesting Glamour from emotions had no direct penalty for the subject? Like, if you did it right it was at worst a victimless crime. But in 2e, harvesting from someone gives them the Reticent condition, which is, uhh.

"Your character has lost emotion, and is but a dull reflection of her normal self. She loses all Willpower, and cannot regain Willpower so long as she has this Condition. However, she gains a +3 bonus to any attempts to manipulate her emotions, or move her to impulsive action. If left unchecked, this Condition lasts either one week, or two days per dot of the changeling’s Wyrd who caused it, whichever is longer."

So, Changelings are like pseudo-vampires now? I mean, I didn't have a problem with Mask and Mien being swiped wholesale because they fit and made sense, and Touchstones were okay once you got used to them, but I'm not sure I'm a fan of leaving people psychically drained husks.

Yeah, I definitely agree here. Leaving the target unaffected played up the Changeling's isolation. You aren't part of the world any more, no matter how much you try to be. You aren't even a parasite dwelling among them, like a vampire. Nobody knows what you've suffered, nobody even knows you're there. You're just stuck on the outside looking in, vicariously feeling the emotions that are lost to you, wearing your fake mask in a fake life.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

That is unusual, and does not really seem appropriate.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Also losing all Willpower and being unable to regain it means that they're basically the worst non-lethal thing that can ever happen to a Hunter. So that's...cool...

Axelgear
Oct 13, 2011

If I'm wrong, please don't hesitate to tell me. It happens pretty often and I will try to change my opinion if I'm presented with evidence.
The funky thing is, it sounds like that's the result of some wires getting crossed. From that same section:

quote:

Harvesting Glamour is an intensely emotional action. Many changelings liken it to a combination of euphoric high, revelatory dream, and body-shuddering orgasm all taken in a single breath. They feed on the power of sentiment and the essence of emotion, drawing life from the very feelings of living things. This is not necessarily a predatory act (although changelings can prey on their victims to elicit Glamour of the appropriate “flavor”), in that it does not require actually harming the subject. Instead, it's as if the subject creates a vapor cloud of emotional energy in which the changeling immerses herself, breathing it in, tasting it, allowing it to fill her lungs and her mind and her heart.

Feeding doesn't harm the victim and it's described as breathing in a kind of vapour someone exudes, rather than taking something from them.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Bikindok posted:

:wtc: that condition is potentially even more crippling than a vampire's bite! You take a bit of lethal from the blood loss and what, you're superficially lightheaded for a couple days? As long as you don't get stabbed/shot/in a car accident you're fine. But losing all of your willpower with no way to recoup it for a week means you literally cannot exert mental effort on anything and rest doesn't really do anything at all for you. Adding in the "easily manipulated/coerced" bit pushes this straight into NPC/villain territory, holy poo poo.

I could see this as a thing when huntsmen/gentry/fetch regain glamour to make them more terrifying (since your average person won't know the difference between the fae that makes them want to die and the one that does not) but as a core part of the PCs? No. It's completely antithetical to the theme of CtL, at least in my opinion.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

Axelgear posted:

The funky thing is, it sounds like that's the result of some wires getting crossed. From that same section:

Feeding doesn't harm the victim and it's described as breathing in a kind of vapour someone exudes, rather than taking something from them.

Yeah, you're right, sounds like someone's not quite understood something along the way. I mean, they always hinted that feeding on the same guy over and over again may have consequences to it. But not 'first time you feed, this guy gets hosed'

I suppose this is the point of the questionnaire they've provided. Hopefully they'll realize the mistake and get that corrected.

Axelgear
Oct 13, 2011

If I'm wrong, please don't hesitate to tell me. It happens pretty often and I will try to change my opinion if I'm presented with evidence.

Yawgmoth posted:

I could see this as a thing when huntsmen/gentry/fetch regain glamour to make them more terrifying (since your average person won't know the difference between the fae that makes them want to die and the one that does not) but as a core part of the PCs? No. It's completely antithetical to the theme of CtL, at least in my opinion.

... I actually like this idea, now that you've mentioned it, especially since the victim of it couldn't be fed on by a Changeling. Not only do the forces of Arcadia harm someone, they also take away their ability to be a strength to you in the process. It emphasizes the parasitic nature of the Gentry, too, as they steal something genuine to empower their magic.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

This actually doesn't make any drat sense at all, because it's not like WoD fae consume human emotion, leaving empty husks in their wake. That's Exalted fae!

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
If that change to how glamour harvesting works isn't a case of crossed wires/a mistake, it's the first thing going out the window if I run Changeling 2E. No interest in further thematically diluting that line by turning them into Emotion Vampires.

Crion fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Feb 18, 2016

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Ferrinus posted:

This actually doesn't make any drat sense at all, because it's not like WoD fae consume human emotion, leaving empty husks in their wake. That's Exalted fae!

Maybe we had it backwards the whole time. Maybe the WoD is the precusor to Exalted!

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Okay, I'm confused now. Is Changeling 2.0 the sequel to "Your enemy is normal people working to feed their families, ugh screw those guys and their non-whimsy" Changeling, or to "Well, you got kidnapped and abused and escaped but now you're pretty much going to be chased forever" Changeling?

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

The Lord of Hats posted:

Okay, I'm confused now. Is Changeling 2.0 the sequel to "Your enemy is normal people working to feed their families, ugh screw those guys and their non-whimsy" Changeling, or to "Well, you got kidnapped and abused and escaped but now you're pretty much going to be chased forever" Changeling?

Second one. It's nWoD AKA Chronicles of Darkness

Bikindok
May 3, 2012
It also doesn't seem to be quite as easy to extract Glamour from Pledges. There is an Oath that'll let you swap your Willpower and Glamour pools around, so that'd work, but I'm not really seeing any other ways. Also, Harvest acts as an equipment bonus to gathering rather than a steady trickle, so that's out too. Eating Goblin fruits and/or certain Hedge creatures is mentioned as a possible glamour source, but no real details seem available beyond that it's apparantly kind of a crapshoot and that they're frequently used as traps by the Fae.

It looks like they're trying to ratchet up conflict by making Glamour less readily available, which I guess makes sense, but I'd have to see the finished product before I could really say I was okay with this direction.

Green Bean
May 3, 2009
Hey, at least this way Beasts are no longer the splat that harms mortals most to survive.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Since, as far as I can recall, CtL True Fae don't really care about what emotions people may or may not be feeling, and don't exactly go away if people stop believing in them, I've always thought it was a bit weird that Changelings derive Glamour specifically from human emotion. Like, maybe they should instead be pulling it from certain narrative circumstances or (sometimes artificially arranged) storybook coincidences or something. But there's no way they should be parasitic or predatory in the actually-feeding-on-you sense.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
Making Changelings explicitly monstrous is an improvement on the prior edition, because it gives the Changeling condition some story hooks that aren't purely reactive.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

I agree, but it's a mistake to make them monstrous in a way that doesn't echo their Keepers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Ferrinus posted:

I agree, but it's a mistake to make them monstrous in a way that doesn't echo their Keepers.

So you're saying Changelings should have to kidnap and enslave people?