Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Modern Masters and Modern Masters 2015 had 15 mythic rares each, 2 of each colour and 5 gold/colourless. Blue has Force at Mythic and Jace 2.0 will certainly be in Eternal Masters at Mythic, which means if they put True-Name Nemesis into the set it will be Rare. Which is going to suck for Limited, because even in powerful Cubes that tends to be a miserable and overly powerful card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

TIL Gamble is not on the reserved list.

Also that people see Chain Lightning at mythic and somehow don't immediately scream fake.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

suicidesteve posted:

TIL Gamble is not on the reserved list.

Also that people see Chain Lightning at mythic and somehow don't immediately scream fake.

Why does that seem unrealistic to you? It's a mythic under $10 which needs to be there to allow them to print mythics at over $10. It's not quite the comet storm of the list (that would be Armageddon) but it's a poo poo mythic but still playable in legacy.

This list has a lot of bricks to open but they're still either legacy/vintage or tied to older/fringe legacy archetypes like the goblin ringleader, priest of titania, worldgorger dragon.

I dunno, I fully expect WotC to print an equal number of useful reprints and bricks. Honestly the number of non-legacy/vintage cards on this list is really low, with Evacuation, Day of Judgment, Regrowth, and March of the Machines being the only real cards that don't see some play, if only in fringe decks / sideboards. Orim's Chant and Armageddon certainly have better alternatives typically in Silence and Cataclysm, but those cards don't have the same nostalgia value. This is probably the highest number of hits for a reprint set, with all the cards being useful if not money. Compare this to the whole loving cycle of Jugan / Keiga / Kokusho / Yosei / Ryusei in MM plus Sarkan, or Comet Storm and Tezzeret and like 30 poo poo rares in MM15.

You have pretty much every major legacy deck represented here outside of the modern-playables like goyf and confidant, and things like the various delver bits are more likely to show up as common/uncommon. But this covers goblins, lands, XBlade, Shardless BUG, Pox, Miracles, Sneak and Show, Elves, Reanimator, Landstill, MUD.

Anyhow I still don't think it's real because it's a loving excel sheet posted by some small magic page my friend in loving New Mexico likes, but none of the cards on the list actually seem unbelievable to me at all, outside of possibly how many hits they have.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Chain lightning at mythic seems unreasonable to him because it is, do you really think they'd put a sorcery speed bolt at mythic in an expert level draft set? Chain lightning would be a fine, and probably likely inclusion to the set, and if it's included it will probably be uncommon. Mythic rares are either going to be chase cards, or cards that are extremely good in limited.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Sigma-X posted:

Anyhow I still don't think it's real because it's a loving excel sheet posted by some small magic page my friend in loving New Mexico likes, but none of the cards on the list actually seem unbelievable to me at all, outside of possibly how many hits they have.

Just fyi, that's the page run by the guy that got banned for spoiling wastes and new kozilek. Not that it has any bearing on the validity of the list, but it would be funny if it turned out to be true. I don't like mom in the list because she just showed up in a duel deck and there should be trillion copies already. Entreat the angels, Armageddon, and terminus all got recent reprints in ftv products too.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
I mean it's not hard to make a list of eternal staples that aren't on the reserved list, remove some and shift some up in rarity to make people mad.

Personally, I think Drunk Frodo, the greatest thief in the multiverse, is bound to be in EMA.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Barry Shitpeas posted:

I mean it's not hard to make a list of eternal staples that aren't on the reserved list, remove some and shift some up in rarity to make people mad.

Personally, I think Drunk Frodo, the greatest thief in the multiverse, is bound to be in EMA.

I suspect Dank Fakin' will move down in rarity...

Because he's nothing more than a common thief.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Barry Shitpeas posted:

Buck Turgidson is the one card other than the ones that've already been revealed that I'm 100% confident will be in the set.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Thinking about it the biggest problem with that list is that it's laser-focused on Legacy, even though they've said the set will support other formats like Commander as well.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Chamale posted:

Today I had MODO lock up because I cast Balance with no cards in hand and no creatures in play, so my opponent saw that I had priority while I saw that he had priority.

On another note, I was thinking about the counterfeit problem, and people saying there are no good fakes. I don't play in events these days, and I don't condone using proxies in them, so I bought some fakes for casual play. I think they're good enough that it could be a problem for tournaments if more people decide to use them.

Who can spot the fake among these four?

Scan them instead of taking a picture and it will be immediately obvious. lovely grainy photos aren't really a good way to tell fakes it turns out.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
I wonder if you could make SaffronOlive's new budget Standard deck into something legit.

http://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/budget-magic-55-36-tix-standard-mardu-threaten

What a fun concept

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Chamale posted:

Who can spot the fake among these four?

It's a grainy picture and all but all of them look fake.

EDIT: That's what I get for skipping posts

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Ciprian Maricon posted:

It's a grainy picture and all but all of them look fake.

EDIT: That's what I get for skipping posts

Did I call it, or did i call it?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Props to Sickening, he sent a PM yesterday that said:

quote:

Sickening wrote on Feb 17, 2016 20:09:
At least 2 goons will come in by tomorrow saying that these fakes were obvious.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Chain lightning at mythic seems unreasonable to him because it is, do you really think they'd put a sorcery speed bolt at mythic in an expert level draft set? Chain lightning would be a fine, and probably likely inclusion to the set, and if it's included it will probably be uncommon. Mythic rares are either going to be chase cards, or cards that are extremely good in limited.

You say that and yet Hedron Alignment was printed, and is neither. I don't have a lot of faith in WotC not printing bricks in this set and an $8 common becoming a mythic seems like a reasonable brick to me.

It's unusual chain behavior makes it more than just lightning bolt, too.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Chamale posted:

Props to Sickening, he sent a PM yesterday that said:
An impressive prediction, let me offer up one that is similarly impressive:

Tomorrow the sun will rise in the east.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Sigma-X posted:

You say that and yet Hedron Alignment was printed, and is neither. I don't have a lot of faith in WotC not printing bricks in this set and an $8 common becoming a mythic seems like a reasonable brick to me.

It's unusual chain behavior makes it more than just lightning bolt, too.

Hedron Alignment isn't mythic.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Sickening posted:

Did I call it, or did i call it?

drat dude, that's crazy, who could have known that people have a different opinion on a subjective idea like "are these cards notably fake"

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

My friends have been pressuring me to get into MtG for a little while, and now that they've gotten me hugely into Hearthstone it's becoming clear that they're going to eventually win me over.

How much does a competitive budget deck cost to build, roughly? I want to get an idea so I can hopefully say "haha nah guys I'm broke" instead of "gently caress me that's reasonable, okay fine"

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Ciprian Maricon posted:

drat dude, that's crazy, who could have known that people have a different opinion on a subjective idea like "are these cards notably fake"

drat dude, you always seem to spot the fakes after they you are told they are fakes. That is pretty crazy.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
chain lightning was a common in VMA tho so :laffo:

R to do 3 damage is probably a little bit pushed at common for most limited formats so I could see it getting a rarity bump but anything above uncommon seems kind of silly.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Feb 18, 2016

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I don't think Hedron Alignment at mythic would be outrageous. Mythic rare is a good place for cards that do not fit well into the limited environment, whether that's due to them being too good or too bad in that context. It doesn't really have the flavor requirements for a mythic rare though.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Tusen Takk posted:

My friends have been pressuring me to get into MtG for a little while, and now that they've gotten me hugely into Hearthstone it's becoming clear that they're going to eventually win me over.

How much does a competitive budget deck cost to build, roughly? I want to get an idea so I can hopefully say "haha nah guys I'm broke" instead of "gently caress me that's reasonable, okay fine"

$1500 if legit, around $200 from our eastern friends.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Tusen Takk posted:

at the least, $700 (standard) but easily soaring into $2500 if you want to play a not-poo poo format.

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Like you get in packing paper?

Tusen Takk posted:

http://www.mtggoldfish.com/metagame/standard/full#paper is a pretty good list of decks vs cost in the current standard metagame. You will easily be able to say "haha nah guys I'm broke" at this point as we are in a current upswing in deck prices due to the land bases containing cards used in more expensive formats. After the next rotation, in 40 or so days, decks will generally be cheaper and a couple of Hundred dollars may get you something good, we don't know yet though what those decks might be.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I mean you can build a budget deck for any price really, it's just a matter of how well you want it to function

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Sickening posted:

drat dude, you always seem to spot the fakes after they you are told they are fakes. That is pretty crazy.

A person can be shown a fake and still form and opinion on it like "hmm these are not good" or "yes these are very convincing"

Sickening posted:

I was going to say that they are all fake but the delta has some wear from play.

Sickening posted:

I will also say that that none of them appear to be a fake enough that would draw any attention in a sleeve therefore it doesn't matter.

That's your opinion and its perfectly valid, but lmao at acting like someone else thinking they are fake is definitely a liar or making poo poo up when it was your first instinct.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Feb 18, 2016

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Chill la Chill posted:

$1500 if legit, around $200 from our eastern friends.

Everblight posted:

at the least, $700 (standard) but easily soaring into $2500 if you want to play a not-poo poo format.

DoctorOozy posted:

http://www.mtggoldfish.com/metagame/standard/full#paper is a pretty good list of decks vs cost in the current standard metagame. You will easily be able to say "haha nah guys I'm broke" at this point as we are in a current upswing in deck prices due to the land bases containing cards used in more expensive formats. After the next rotation, in 40 or so days, decks will generally be cheaper and a couple of Hundred dollars may get you something good, we don't know yet though what those decks might be.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I mean you can build a budget deck for any price really, it's just a matter of how well you want it to function

Holy loving poo poo, well that solves that

I think I'll stick with Hearthstone.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Tusen Takk posted:

Keep in mind, this community is mostly the most committed of players, playing in sanctioned events for prizes etc. Your friends might not be as committed as the average poster here and by the admission of the company who publishes the game the vast majority of players spends significantly less on Magic. You could (potentially) spend very little on the game and still have a lot of fun, but the reality is that the game is typically more fun when you and the people you are playing with are all working under the same restrictions. If your friends are as engaged as some of us, then you're unlikely to have very much fun playing with them unless you spend similar amounts of money, but if they are relatively un-engaged with organized play you might have tons of fun playing with them and spend no more than 20-30 dollars.

"What's a budget deck cost" is going to have wildly varying answers so maybe ask your friends what they play/how much they spend to get a better idea of what it might take to join them and if that's viable for you.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Feb 18, 2016

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Tusen Takk posted:

If you like the anime, you could try force of will. It's like magic's older formats but with fixes from hearthstone. Competitive decks are $1-200.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Sigma-X posted:

Why does that seem unrealistic to you? It's a mythic under $10 which needs to be there to allow them to print mythics at over $10. It's not quite the comet storm of the list (that would be Armageddon) but it's a poo poo mythic but still playable in legacy.

Why does that seem unrealistic? Because they just reprinted Lightning Bolt at uncommon. Because I'm pretty sure Chain Lightning was a common in VMA. Because it costs 1/3 of what Gamble costs. Because your argument that they need mythics under $10 (it isn't) to print mythics over $10 (they don't) makes no sense at all. Because Armageddon is a game-ending card that should be at mythic.

Are you really trying to argue that Chain Lightning makes any sense at all at mythic? And using Armageddon at mythic to support your argument?

Ciprian Maricon posted:

That's your opinion and its perfectly valid, but lmao at acting like someone else thinking they are fake is definitely a liar or making poo poo up when it was your first instinct.

Once I saw the enlarged picture instead of the crappy preview it showed in the forums it was pretty obvious that the ZEN fetches were fake. The Strand just looks off to me but I'm not sure if that's from the picture quality. The Delta had me fooled, even ignoring the wear.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Tusen Takk posted:

Run away while you can.

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Borrow a deck off a friend, play a few games and see if you like the game in general.

If you do, find one of the recent budget decks off mtg goldfish (watch the videos to see what appeals to you) and buy that.

I've been playing the budget turbo turns deck from there (albeit with two added ugins) and it's definitely competitive against the much more expensive tier 1 decks at fnm.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Keep in mind, this community is mostly the most committed of players, playing in sanctioned events for prizes etc. Your friends might not be as committed as the average poster here and by the admission of the company who publishes the game the vast majority of players spends significantly less on Magic. You could (potentially) spend very little on the game and still have a lot of fun, but the reality is that the game is typically more fun when you and the people you are playing with are all working under the same restrictions. If your friends are as engaged as some of us, then you're unlikely to have very much fun playing with them unless you spend similar amounts of money, but if they are relatively un-engaged with organized play you might have tons of fun playing with them and spend no more than 20-30 dollars.

"What's a budget deck cost" is going to have wildly varying answers so maybe ask your friends what they play/how much they spend to get a better idea of what it might take to join them and if that's viable for you.

Yeah that's a great point. Knowing myself, I wouldn't want to play at a scrub level because I'm way too competitive and I'd eventually blow a shitload of money on it every year

Thanks for the info though :)

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Chill la Chill posted:

If you like the anime, you could try force of will. It's like magic's older formats but with fixes from hearthstone. Competitive decks are $1-200.

Less, really. I think my deck came in at forty five dollars overall.

Tusen Takk posted:

Yeah that's a great point. Knowing myself, I wouldn't want to play at a scrub level because I'm way too competitive and I'd eventually blow a shitload of money on it every year

You might want to consider the commander format if your friends also play it.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

you can spend less than 100 bucks on a competitive FNM deck as long as you play standard and/or just draft.

If you want to be a competitive player that wins big tournaments yes of course you have to spend hundreds of dollars on your mana base. If you just want to play the game and have fun you don't have to spend a lot of money at all in any way. You just can't expect to win all the time against the dudes who do spend a lot of money and that is something that has never changed through the history of this game as far as I can tell.

Play draft, play sealed, accumulate a collection and in a year or so when you're sitting on a decent amount of cards you can play with or trade to get what you want, build a real standard deck since you'll probably have at least 1/3 of it ready to go and you can make a lovely but playable deck with your draft leftovers after a couple of drafts. Again, just don't expect miracles if someone comes to your casual play with a $700 deck and whomps you.

The game's fun as long as you don't take it too seriously and you learn who to ignore in this thread fairly quickly.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Tusen Takk posted:

While most competitive play is very expensive as the whole nature of organized play is designed to help sell product. You can be extremely competitive and spend little money. Drafting for example can cost as little as 15.00 dollars (or even free if a friend has a Cube) and is crazy competitive. Its all about making sure you're playing under the same restrictions. For example I regularly play with some old friends who spend maybe 25 bucks a year. We get together sometimes have some drinks, every person brings 6 packs and we build 40 card decks from that and we all play each other. They are good, competitive games, and despite being about as balls deep into Magic as a person can be I lose plenty.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Feb 18, 2016

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Zoness posted:

chain lightning was a common in VMA tho so :laffo:

R to do 3 damage is probably a little bit pushed at common for most limited formats so I could see it getting a rarity bump but anything above uncommon seems kind of silly.

Yeah I think it being at Uncommon is realistic, altho of course I'd rather just have real Lightning Bolt but I understand that Chain is probably the safer card and you know, hasn't been reprinted recently

Depends on the creatures really, but assuming they put in stuff like Pyromancer and Delver, Bolt would be a real good removal spell to have access to

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
even looking at the full-size picture, I think I would bat an eye at none of those if they got tossed on the table across from me in a game or even if I was scanning through a sleeved deck.

Ciprian Maricon posted:

"What's a budget deck cost" is going to have wildly varying answers so maybe ask your friends what they play/how much they spend

While this is good advice in spirit, I would amend the specific instruction to "ask them how much it would cost you to play like they do." Like I could say that the Tropical Island in my EDH deck cost me $8, and I wouldn't be lying (and that wouldn't be my way of saying it was a fake, because it's not) but it wouldn't be remotely useful for someone trying to buy a comparable sort of card in 2016.

If they can't tell you or they mislead you (intentionally or otherwise) then that's a warning sign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

JerryLee posted:

While this is good advice in spirit, I would amend the specific instruction to "ask them how much it would cost you to play like they do." Like I could say that the Tropical Island in my EDH deck cost me $8, and I wouldn't be lying (and that wouldn't be my way of saying it was a fake, because it's not) but it wouldn't be remotely useful for someone trying to buy a comparable sort of card in 2016.

If they can't tell you or they mislead you (intentionally or otherwise) then that's a warning sign.
Presumably, his friends are humans and not robots, so I would wager they would naturally understand what he's getting at by asking 'what do your decks cost', rather than invite their brand-new-to-the-game friend over as they start dropping revised duals against his 80-card vampire tribal deck. Presumably they also enjoy his company, and aren't out to mislead him into running his casual junk up against tuned eternal lists. If they are, it's a warning sign that his friends are just dickheads lol

• Locked thread