Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

MonoAus posted:

That sounds like fun but given that so many people are confused as to how to join the first highway off ramp do you think it might be a bit too advanced for most players?

That seems to be the main problem with this game, there's such a wide player base that for one group, for example, the fact that cars don't merge realistically is a terrible problem that must be solved while others think that having to create interchanges is too difficult and fiddly and that must be solved.

I think you are right. You bring up really the next step of making a good design, where you make it really simple to just lay down some simple things that make it work, and then add layers upon it that mean that people with more understanding and effort can get more out of it (e.g. get more benefits). People understand that poop water = bad after the initial accident, so i'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt that folks would get that freshwater > seawater.

Anyway, it's total speculation. There's like a billion ways to think up cool things.

Fishbus fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Feb 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012
Are we still sharing screenshots of our cities in this thread?

If not, apologies in advance.

Downtown

An urban park

An aerial view

Main access to port facilities

Suburbs and northern highway

Suburban cricket ground

Suburban golf course

Still have a few issues with industrial traffic though...

edit:

Thought I'd chuck in a few more then.

MonoAus fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Feb 17, 2016

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

That's great. This thread needs more screenshots of cool poo poo people make.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Island im working on, playing without money cheat

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

How do I work with building themes? I haven't touched the stuff before but I've been looking at screenshots of cities built with e.g. the Brooklyn buildings and similar and they look awesome. What do I need to do to replace the default shiny space Scandinavia buildings with stuff that looks like 20th century America?

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012
Download the themes mod. It comes with a theme editor so you can assign/remove buildings to a given theme. You can then assign the theme to a district.

There are a few pre-made themes downloadable with collections of the buildings that are in them. I think Brooklyn buildings was one of those.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Bold Robot posted:

That's great. This thread needs more screenshots of cool poo poo people make.

Seconding this. I want to see cool skylines, but also detail shots of how you solved a weird complex problem in game.

BallsFalls
Oct 18, 2013
The Snowfall expansion is looking pretty good.

It's Ottawa :canada:

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Maybe this is obvious but I saw an interesting post on Reddit comparing C:S performance with 8 gigs of ram vs. 16 gigs of ram. I thought the processor was the main bottleneck for this game but the guy saw pretty significant gains with 16 gigs. I've only got 8 gigs so I'm probably gonna pick up another 8 bases on this.

BallsFalls
Oct 18, 2013

Bold Robot posted:

Maybe this is obvious but I saw an interesting post on Reddit comparing C:S performance with 8 gigs of ram vs. 16 gigs of ram. I thought the processor was the main bottleneck for this game but the guy saw pretty significant gains with 16 gigs. I've only got 8 gigs so I'm probably gonna pick up another 8 bases on this.

I recently went from 8GB to 16GB myself, and I did notice a fairly significant performance increase for C:S.

King Faraday
May 22, 2009

I'm going to dive back in to this game with Snowfall, however I've never really played around with mods/custom assets since I didn't want to gently caress up my ability to get achievements (also some felt like they were cheating).
Is there any way to determine if an asset will cause the game to nix achievements?
Should I just ignore that and grab the achievement activation mod?

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

King Faraday posted:

Is there any way to determine if an asset will cause the game to nix achievements?

I think only mods specifically block achievements by default.

quote:

Should I just ignore that and grab the achievement activation mod?

If you use even one mod (even an official one) and still want achievements then yes. And there really are some great quality of life improvement mods (like Precision Engineering) are almost essential to making a nice looking city.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
So apparently Traffic++ is not being actively developed and will be rendered incompatible by the update?

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Inverness posted:

So apparently Traffic++ is not being actively developed and will be rendered incompatible by the update?

Isn't there like a super Traffic++ and some other mod in the works? Whatever the other Traffic AI mod is.

King Faraday
May 22, 2009

necrotic posted:

If you use even one mod (even an official one) and still want achievements then yes. And there really are some great quality of life improvement mods (like Precision Engineering) are almost essential to making a nice looking city.

Oh, wow, I hadn't even seen Precision Engineering - it seems amazing. Thanks for the advice and the recommendation.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

So far I've built a dusty freight depot and can't seem to break out of the old sim city mindset of the grid.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Inverness posted:

Awesome, well I guess I'm out.

Or is there some other mod that does everything traffic ++ does? Ped roads, lane control, speed limit control?

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

When does this actually drop?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Elendil004 posted:

Tomorrow. Not sure why it's not in the store yet for pre-order but it's set to be available to download mid-day 18th (mid-day where I dunno)

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Elendil004 posted:

Sometime later today (18th) I believe.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

Sometime later today (18th) I believe.

Yeah, no clue what timezone they're counting for the 18th though. *shrug*

I want my trams...and I may want to play them on a snow map to see how pretty and/or annoying they are.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Apparently it's going to drop tomorrow afternoon Paradox time, so it should be available tomorrow morning in the US.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I wonder if we'll be able to convert current maps/cities to snow mode. Not that starting a new one is a huge deal.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

CLAM DOWN posted:

I wonder if we'll be able to convert current maps/cities to snow mode. Not that starting a new one is a huge deal.

They've said that snow maps are going to be a unique map theme, so you're probably going to need to start over.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
I guess it will drop at usual Steam store update time. 10am Pacific.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I don't want infinite money, but sometimes I want a little burst to finish an area or something, is there a legit money cheat or is it all or nothing?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Elendil004 posted:

I don't want infinite money, but sometimes I want a little burst to finish an area or something, is there a legit money cheat or is it all or nothing?

You can take out loans in game if you want.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
There are also mods that let you add cash by hitting ctrl+M or whatever.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

Awesome, well I guess I'm out.

Or is there some other mod that does everything traffic ++ does? Ped roads, lane control, speed limit control?

Network Extentions is going include to do ped roads, they intend to add this in their Snowfall update within days or even hours (also there's a fully custom bridge on their 8L avenue now??!)

Lane and speed limit control I never really messed with. Aren't they included in some of the Traffic Manager forms? Is it impossible to play the game without them if you're used to them?

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

Efexeye posted:

Just use my starter city!

maybe I should do one for each stock map

I would like to see one or two with specific set up problems.
You already set up that one with potential car traffic, but I'd like to see others with different traffic problems. Maybe one with a train system in place, you're in the green, but the train lines are all kinds of messed up and clog up all the time?

Extra cool if you can build massive laned concrete hell-scapes of ugly. Actually, that would be interest. Mix industry in with dense residential. A European buildset might make it look closer to the real thing in industrial age cities. Then you have to make the city beautiful and modern, chalking it up to tourism for the old quarter (entertainment) and stuff, but people are turned off by the rest of the city and it's sketchiness. As the newly elected mayor, you have to clean up the city. You have a huge budget surplus, but very low income due to waste and corruption.

Boom, custom scenario!

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

2 hours and 10 minutes from this post was made until snow cities is supposed to go live on Steam.

I feel very unsure what to do really. Buy or not buy. Content seems scarce, but the base game is still good.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Have an album of images from this summer taken from a blimp pilot overhead a number of Australian cities as inspiration:
http://imgur.com/a/HR1JF

For example, a former Australian Rules Football ground, now housing estate:

Edit: Patch is out.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Feb 18, 2016

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Dunno-Lars posted:

I feel very unsure what to do really. Buy or not buy. Content seems scarce, but the base game is still good.

Speaking of, while it's still half off on the Paradox store, how worth getting is After Dark? I find it really hard to tell with most Paradox games what's actually in the DLC and what's just included in the patch.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Koramei posted:

Speaking of, while it's still half off on the Paradox store, how worth getting is After Dark? I find it really hard to tell with most Paradox games what's actually in the DLC and what's just included in the patch.

Here's the full 1.2.0 (AD update) patch notes, split between the paid and free content. Since you've already got the latter, let me go through the former:

• The new (unique) buildings are pretty nice
  • Taxis seem pretty useless
  • I haven't ever had the need to build a jail
  • Leisure and tourism are unbalanced, and are pretty monocultural since there's only one level to them
  • The new policies are kind of ham-handed and IMO very marginal
  • Bikes are decent but feel like an afterthought

Honestly, there's a decent number of mods that change core gameplay in way interesting ways, and the same goes for workshop assets vs. Colossal Order's paid additions in After Dark. I bought the DLC to support the devs, not because it had any meaningful effect on how I play the game. Same goes for Snowfall.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

516.3 MB update according to Steam.

I am weak and foolish with money, and bought it. Can't play it until later tonight, have to be a dad first and have to wait until kids have gone to bed.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

This update broke the poo poo out of all the mods I have and traffic is moving like a snail at every game speed :wtf:

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Dunno-Lars posted:

I am weak and foolish with money, and bought it. Can't play it until later tonight, have to be a dad first and have to wait until kids have gone to bed.

Do you have to say all this stuff every time you spend $20 or just on Videogames?

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

Sylink posted:

This update broke the poo poo out of all the mods I have and traffic is moving like a snail at every game speed :wtf:

Look on the bright side, at least your city loaded. I worked on and off on mine for the better part of six months and have been staring at the loading screen for the past 7 minutes. I'm so tired of those twats constantly messing with their code and consistently breaking mods with their lovely updates that no one wanted in the first place.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

I just had it get stuck infinitely popping up an error warning at me the moment I tried to add a road.

Oh well.

Mods'll update soon, probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Trip report: I unsubscribed to everything and then loaded up. Snow is very pretty. Temperatures vary throughout the day on snow maps, and because electricity demands vary with temperature, this is seriously loving with my ability to anticipate budgets.

The snow makes everything look extremely comfy, though. I want a cup of hot cocoa now.

e: why does a snow dump need water pipes???

Ofaloaf fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Feb 18, 2016