Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

Jizz Festival posted:

I've asked a specific question, specifically "So what's the correct order? The self causes brain activity?" and rather than just answering the question you gave me a long boring quote that doesn't answer that question.

It does answer your question and it's nonsense to speak of causation in this context.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
:rolleyes:

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem

FabioClone posted:

Do we really have to seriously consider all possible claims about gods and the supernatural when there is no supporting evidence besides a book?
No, naturally, of course not!
But not all of life's lessons can come from books but from personal experience, just as any faith can't be fully contained within the pages of a book without limiting how effectively an otherwise contextually-personal experience can be conveyed to the reader. It's a catch-22.
Anyway I just wanted to quit all the Bible-bunking/thumping derails and point out that this isn't a Christianity vs Atheism debate. If anyone here thinks those are the only philosophical worldviews worth discussing then you've still got a long ways to go.

FabioClone posted:

However, I think his existence, or lack thereof, is pretty important for Christians. Their whole religion relies on him actually existing and there not being a dead Jesus body buried somewhere. Not that that couldn't be rationalized away by some, but the truth about his existence is relevant to the most fundamental claims of Christianity.
Oh, Jesus the Man from Nazareth existed, sure, but did Jesus with his "feats of magic" exist- is that what you're asking about?
Don't forget that the Council of Nicea happened, which was when the Church declared Jesus to be a Divine (non-human) Entity, fundamentally different from the rest of us. This is a view in particular I don't espouse: I believe there's an emergent Christ-figure in each and every one of us.

FabioClone posted:

I want to hear more about this please. Otherwise, I'm going to assume that this is the point in your post where the drugs really kicked in.
edit: oh, you edited it out
Yeah, I didn't want to derail, honestly.
John Lennon was the second coming of Christ, the Age of Aquarius has officially begun, and Magic is real and gaining in significance. Art, Love, Music, and Present-Mindedness are be Mankind's greatest assets in t(his/her)heir ascendancy to the Sun, Moon, and Stars, to the Greater Cosmos beyond. What do you want from me? More veiled truths?

Who What Now posted:

Which part of the self do you believe does not take place in the brain?
*I* am the self that resides outside your brain.
Which parts of the brain do you believe house the self?

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

The whole point is that your question only makes sense from a naïve materialist perspective. Only by realizing the limitations of that perspective and opening yourself up to different approaching, by a aufhebung of the naïve materialism, can you see the question in a clearer light.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
I think it's pretty obvious that the 'mind' or 'self' is a little dude inside my head, pulling my brain levers, making decisions and watching the movie of my life projected on the inside of my skull. C'mon, it's basic level poo poo. You think a brain could do all this by itself? Lol, silly materialists.

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem

Who What Now posted:

What we call the "self" is the continuous process of your brain interpreting external stimuli and reacting via chemicals mixing among electrical impulses.
False as all hell; information and memories stored in the brain follow internal processes almost wholly independent of the external stimuli they're reacting to.

What you've described here is not the Self but rather how the Self is experiencing the Present Moment as a continuous process.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

grate deceiver posted:

I think it's pretty obvious that the 'mind' or 'self' is a little dude inside my head, pulling my brain levers, making decisions and watching the movie of my life projected on the inside of my skull. C'mon, it's basic level poo poo. You think a brain could do all this by itself? Lol, silly materialists.

Again, I wholly incorrect reading of both what I said and the wonderful texts I quoted. This would just be falling back on a brain-inside-the-brain ad infinitium, which is absurd.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

The Belgian posted:

I haven't just been going 'no you', I've given an argument. Owlfancier seems to understand it to to some extend and hasn't refuted it but merely called it impractical. You guys haven't even engaged it at all. But have some of Russell's aruments since some of you love cosmic teapots so much.

"Hey guys I don't actually have the slightest clue what the gently caress I'm talking about, so here's something I found through Google to argue for me."

If you can't explain your own position in your own words then you're too ignorant to be part of an adult discussion about it.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

Who What Now posted:

"Hey guys I don't actually have the slightest clue what the gently caress I'm talking about, so here's something I found through Google to argue for me."

If you can't explain your own position in your own words then you're too ignorant to be part of an adult discussion about it.

I have repeatedly stated my own position with perfect clarity. I presented useful background material as you guys are clearly unfamiliar with phenomonalism and phenomenology.

You are like a layman attending a quantum field theory class and getting angry when people won't explain everything from the very basics for you and instead refer you to some background text.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

The Belgian posted:

Again, I wholly incorrect reading of both what I said and the wonderful texts I quoted. This would just be falling back on a brain-inside-the-brain ad infinitium, which is absurd.

Sorry, I forgot to clarify. The little dude inside my head is actually a ghost that resides in the spirit realm. Hope this clears up any confusion :)

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Dinosaurmageddon posted:

*I* am the self that resides outside your brain.
Which parts of the brain do you believe house the self?

The entire brain houses the self, because the self is an emergent property of the brain. If "you" reside outside of the brain, why will "you" change dramatically if I change your brain? Why do "you" act differently when drunk? Surely you can't believe that mere alcohol can transcend the material to reach this supposed immaterial "you"?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

The Belgian posted:

I have repeatedly stated my own position with perfect clarity. I presented useful background material as you guys are clearly unfamiliar with phenomonalism and phenomenology.

The only position you have stated is that you view materialism is "naive". When asked to expound upon this you furiously googled something up that didn't even address the points leveled at you. If you can't explain it yourself, you don't know enough to have a discussion about it.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

Who What Now posted:

The only position you have stated is that you view materialism is "naive". When asked to expound upon this you furiously googled something up that didn't even address the points leveled at you. If you can't explain it yourself, you don't know enough to have a discussion about it.

The Husserl text explicitly discusses naïve materialism. Sorry you're incabable of reading what's presented to you.

FabioClone
Oct 3, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dinosaurmageddon posted:

No, naturally, of course not!
But not all of life's lessons can come from books but from personal experience, just as any faith can't be fully contained within the pages of a book without limiting how effectively an otherwise contextually-personal experience can be conveyed to the reader. It's a catch-22.
Anyway I just wanted to quit all the Bible-bunking/thumping derails and point out that this isn't a Christianity vs Atheism debate. If anyone here thinks those are the only philosophical worldviews worth discussing then you've still got a long ways to go.

Yeah, but claims of personal experience are not good reasons to take an unsupported belief seriously. As pointed, out, you can find people from every religion with these experiences, and so there's still no way to know what beliefs we should take seriously based on these claims.Since most religions contradict each other, millions of people must by lying, mistaken, deluded, or mentally ill when they relate their experiences. What makes your personal experience more valid than theirs? What possible way could there be to tell whose story is valid without some other kind of evidence?

Dinosaurmageddon posted:

Yeah, I didn't want to derail, honestly.
John Lennon was the second coming of Christ, the Age of Aquarius has officially begun, and Magic is real and gaining in significance. Art, Love, Music, and Present-Mindedness are be Mankind's greatest assets in t(his/her)heir ascendancy to the Sun, Moon, and Stars, to the Greater Cosmos beyond. What do you want from me? More veiled truths?

Thanks for elaborating, and I hope you're not offended if I admit that this seems completely crazy to me. I'm sure you base it on some personal experience, but... how does anyone else know that this stuff is true? Like... magic is obviously not real, even if you capitalize it. And what is your reason for thinking John Lennon was Christ? Although, I admit it would be funny if Jesus popped back to Earth every once in a while and we just keep killing him. You'd think he'd get the message that he's not welcome here :)

I don't think this is a derail, because it goes to the heart of the thread question. There is just no way I can accept claims like yours, or most religious claims. I can't force myself to believe it, no matter how hard I try. I just have no reason at all to think that these claims, which are so completely removed from my everyday experience of reality, are true.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

The Belgian posted:

The Husserl text explicitly discusses naïve materialism. Sorry you're incabable of reading what's presented to you.

I give literally zero fucks about what Husserl has to say right now. I care what you have to say. I'm sorry you don't understand how actual humans have conversations.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

Who What Now posted:

I give literally zero fucks about what Husserl has to say right now. I care what you have to say. I'm sorry you don't understand how actual humans have conversations.

Because what I have to say matches the Husserl text. Clearly you didn't like the way I expressed it, so maybe you'll grasp a reformulation better.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Who What Now posted:

not a big Husserl fan but if you struggle with this, you should probs stay away from behavioral science explaining behavior scientifically. maybe try a something little easier, you know, something that's already well understood where you can just dig in and read the inferences without having to think too much about the underlying inferential systems, like simple physics or engineering or something.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Zodium posted:

not a big Husserl fan but if you struggle with this, you should probs stay away from behavioral science explaining behavior scientifically. maybe try a something little easier, you know, something that's already well understood where you can just dig in and read the inferences without having to think too much about the underlying inferential systems, like simple physics or engineering or something.

I understood it just fine, actually. But I have no interest in arguing with Husserl, and I have sincere doubts the Belgian actually understands what he posted himself.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

Zodium posted:

Thank you, please tell me I'm not crazy even if you disagree with me. I've been trying to select nicely readable texts,but it seems like people are just glossing over what I say :(

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Who What Now posted:

I understood it just fine, actually. But I have no interest in arguing with Husserl, and I have sincere doubts the Belgian actually understands what he posted himself.

it's self evident from your (hilariously arrogant) not-even-wrong response that you didn't understand it. now i'm not some loving all knowing oracle, but in my humble opinion here, the Husserl text is, in fact, absolutely on point, while you're talking straight nonsense and cowardly hiding behind Belgian's lack of independent interpretation, you big intellectual pussy.

The Belgian posted:

Thank you, please tell me I'm not crazy even if you disagree with me. I've been trying to select nicely readable texts,but it seems like people are just glossing over what I say :(

it's a substantive point but stop infodumping, you have to at least state your interpretation of the text.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Zodium posted:

it's self evident from your (hilariously arrogant) not-even-wrong response that you didn't understand it.

So how, exactly, does wanting to have a conversation with the Belgian and not merely have him poo poo out some quotes he found and run without actually engaging anyone somehow evidently prove that I don't understand Husserl? Care to actually back this up, or are you just making a tone argument?

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Who What Now posted:

So how, exactly, does wanting to have a conversation with the Belgian and not merely have him poo poo out some quotes he found and run without actually engaging anyone somehow evidently prove that I don't understand Husserl? Care to actually back this up, or are you just making a tone argument?

you think what you've been doing is expressing a desire to have a conversation with The Belgian? you're even crazier than the dino guy.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Husserl's claim that relativity undermines materialism is absolute bullshit - it, at worst, changes what matter is, it doesn't actually help you with dualism at all, which assumes a -wait for it- duality. It's the exact same pseudo-scientific dodge made when it's assumed that quantum 'observations' necessitates a consciousness.
This is a total cop-out though. If the gospels are unreliable, and must be 'read critically', on what basis are you claiming that the jesus figure must be accepted as existing, uncritically? Like, if in a dig, you find some graffiti 'biggus dickus was here', you may not know if that's their actual name, but you can trust it somewhat. You understand why it was written there, and that is was probably written by the person it refers to. You can't say that about the Gospels, there are in fact a tonne of reasons they could have been written, and not every one of them involves a Jesus figure existing! You cannot treat a religious text as evidence for the events it contains, because that's not what the text does.

Like, here's another problem with this whole conversation: if you say, to the average person, 'serious historians all agree Jesus existed', their immediate assumption is that there's actual, historical evidence for his existence. 'Wow, they must clearly have something, other than this book full of other made up poo poo in it, which is also pretty unreliable'. Yet that's not the case, you track down the sources and, lo and behold, the only source is the Bible.

The gospel is true guys, jesus existed! [1]

[1]Source: the gospel

rudatron fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Feb 18, 2016

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Disinterested posted:

I'm not sure what I think of the seminary but I am sure emphasizing academic credentials to make arguments on a notorious gay hookup site about Jesus is suspect as hell.
Also I don't know what sites you visit, but surely this can't be the only gay hookup site with a dick-waving contest.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

rudatron posted:

Husserl's claim that relativity undermines materialism is absolute bullshit - it, at worst, changes what matter is, it doesn't actually help you with dualism at all, which assumes a -wait for it- duality. It's the exact same pseudo-scientific dodge made when it's assumed that quantum 'observations' necessitates a consciousness.

edmund husserl died in nineteen thirty eight. I get it, it's trivial to dismiss idealism. nobody's talking about idealism.

pro-tip: if you stop adversarially trying to shove Husserl into the idealist box you think this is supposed to go into here, you'll get more out of it. that's just not where it goes. i know you want it to fit, but it's just not gonna happen. sorry. it doesn't really go in any box you'll find in Anglo philosophy/science beyond some light intersection in von Neumann/Weaver complexity theory line, but the tradition is alive and well in German/French/Russian philosophy and science (e.g., Edgar Morin's La Methode).

edit: i've heard good things about this

Zodium fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Feb 18, 2016

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

rudatron posted:

This is a total cop-out though. If the gospels are unreliable, and must be 'read critically', on what basis are you claiming that the jesus figure must be accepted as existing, uncritically? Like, if in a dig, you find some graffiti 'biggus dickus was here', you may not know if that's their actual name, but you can trust it somewhat. You understand why it was written there, and that is was probably written by the person it refers to. You can't say that about the Gospels, there are in fact a tonne of reasons they could have been written, and not every one of them involves a Jesus figure existing! You cannot treat a religious text as evidence for the events it contains, because that's not what the text does.

Like, here's another problem with this whole conversation: if you say, to the average person, 'serious historians all agree Jesus existed', their immediate assumption is that there's actual, historical evidence for his existence. 'Wow, they must clearly have something, other than this book full of other made up poo poo in it, which is also pretty unreliable'. Yet that's not the case, you track down the sources and, lo and behold, the only source is the Bible.

The gospel is true guys, jesus existed! [1]

[1]Source: the gospel

Yeah and Josephus and Tacitus. But then they don't count because it makes you look like a conspiracy theorist.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

The Belgian posted:

You are like a layman attending a quantum field theory class and getting angry when people won't explain everything from the very basics for you and instead refer you to some background text.

Quantum Theory Quote!

Richard Feynman posted:

I think I can safely say that nobody understands quantum mechanics.

Also, interjecting about the Husserl stuff: Interesting read. But, once again, it avoids the major question that's been asked so far: What constitutes 'outside the brain' influences on the mind? And on another subject, how do we measure/observe those influences?

All respect to the material, but it seems that Husserl is speaking from more of a spiritual perspective rather than a naturalistic perspective. The end of your first infoblock sums it up fairly well:

The Belgian's 'Husserl', part one posted:

As was the case previously with the psychic, everything that has newly flowed in is now concretely localised in the world through the living body, which is essentially always constituted along with it. I - the-man, together with the transcendental dimension now ascribed to me, am somewhere in space at some time in the world's time. Thus every new transcendental discovery, by going back into the natural attitude, enriches my psychic life and (apperceptively as a matter of course ) that of every other.

Husserl sees himself as two distinct entities: The physical self and the transcendental dimensional self. The argument we are having now is whether there is evidence for this secondary self, or if the brain and it's reactions are the source of what we know as 'self'. Which isn't answered by what you posted. Philosophically it wraps up nicely; observably, not so much.

The Belgian's 'Husserl' part two posted:

But does this mean that it is in the world in the way that the physical body is and that, when men with living bodies and souls are experienced in the world as real, their reality, as well as that of their living bodies and souls, could have the same or even a similar sense to that of the mere physical bodies? Even though the human living body is counted among the physical bodies, it is still "living" - "my physical body," which I "move," in and through which I "hold sway," which I "animate." If one fails to consider these matters - which soon become quite extensive - thoroughly, and actually without prejudice, one has not grasped at all what is of a soul's own essence as such (the word "soul" being understood here not at all metaphysically but rather in the sense of the original givenness of the psychic in the life-world); and thus one has also failed to grasp the genuine ultimate substrate for a science of "souls." Rather than beginning with the latter, psychology began with a concept of soul which was not at all formulated in an original way but which stemmed from Cartesian dualism, a concept furnished by a prior constructive idea of a corporeal nature and of a mathematical natural science.

And here he states, clearly, that physics cannot describe souls, and thus is burdened from the start. Though not the exact wording, this is the 'naive materialism' at the heart of your debate.

But, once again, it offers no proofs. It's philosophical in nature, completely unprovable and unfalsifiable. Which, to a person who is asking for the scientific, observational answer to something, is pointless.

There. Did I get everything, or did I leave something out?

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not adverse to reinterpreting the word salad you get from continentals in purely psychological terms, I think that's also the proper way to get useful stuff from Hegel. But using it in a light-brigade-charge against 'naive materialism' will absolutely compel me to shoving into a box, called a 'grave'. It's a kind of nervous tic I have.

rudatron fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Feb 18, 2016

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

rudatron posted:

The claim that relativity undermines materialism was in the Russell quote, not the Husserl quote.

More to the point, relativity does present problems for materialism if you want to see relativity as describing real reality. Not that relativity itself is enough to wholly anihilate materialism but it poses interesting questions. For instance, the conformal invariance of the causal structure of spacetime poses interesting question on what distance and duration are and to what extend they're really real and unique. Holography in relativity (unknown in Russell's time) poses even greater questions and makes it seem like the 4D universe that we know and love isn't the real deal but some emergent thing.

The Belgian fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Feb 18, 2016

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about believing in magical rainbow gold

rudatron posted:

Jesus isn't real because I don't like the source.

Should we dismiss the city of Troy out of hand because it's mentioned in a fantastical pseudo-historical text?

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
No, but we not should take the Illiad alone as evidence for its existence - in fact, we can only say that it actually existed because it was found, archaeologically.
Well all new discoveries pose interesting questions, but as a threat, not really. You're only changing the rules of the game, the game itself plays on.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

rudatron posted:

Well all new discoveries pose interesting questions, but as a threat, not really. You're only changing the rules of the game, the game itself plays on.
Do you know anything about relativity and its current developments? Isn't the current worry about how real space and time are if we consider what is given by relativity 'the real deal' a real concern for materialism?

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

rudatron posted:

I'm not adverse to reinterpreting the word salad you get from continentals in purely psychological terms, I think that's also the proper way to get useful stuff from Hegel. But using it in a light-brigade-charge against 'naive materialism' will absolutely compel me to shoving into a box, called a 'grave'. It's a kind of nervous tick I have.

gently caress off, deal with your ticks and compulsions on your own time. D&D is not responsible for whatever autistic deficiencies you suffer from.

The Belgian posted:

The claim that relativity undermines materialism was in the Russell quote, not the Husserl quote.

More to the point, relativity does present problems for materialism if you want to see relativity as describing real reality. Not that relativity itself is enough to wholly anihilate materialism but it poses interesting questions. For instance, the conformal invariance of the causal structure of spacetime poses interesting question on what distance and time are and to what extend they're really real and unique. Holography in relativity (unknown in Russell's time) poses even greater questions and makes it seem like the 4D universe that we know and love isn't the real deal but some emergent thing.

idk about holography and other cutting edge physics shite, but you gotta remember that we're basically Bronze Age people trying to work iron when it comes to behavior. sometimes we see a piece of behavior lying around on the ground that might be good for something, but only if it's naturally in the right shape already. we don't really have any idea how to work with it yet, so it's mostly luck or trial-and-error for the foreseeable future.

anyway, here's a a cool article about differential topology and exotic manifolds. i've got a few digits riding in friendly bets on exotic 4-d spheres being the key to capturing behavior mathematically.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

J.A.B.C. posted:

Husserl sees himself as two distinct entities: The physical self and the transcendental dimensional self. The argument we are having now is whether there is evidence for this secondary self, or if the brain and it's reactions are the source of what we know as 'self'. Which isn't answered by what you posted. Philosophically it wraps up nicely; observably, not so much.

Thanks,

The self is immediately given to you. You shouldn't need any convincing that your own self exists because, well, 'you're livng it'. Is this acceptable to you? I'd be interested in seeing a counterproposal but I can't come up with one myself. Of course this says nothing about the selves of other people but that is immediately a concern. There is no dualism here, though in talking about this we are on a linguistic razor's egde.

I take you mean observation in a scientific sense?

You can't scientifically observe the selves of other, though observation (but not in the sense of scientific observation) of your own self is immediate. It predates, conceptually and even temporally other modes of observation. The idea that scientific observation gives you information of some sort comes much later. Not that scientific observation is bad, but it's for totally different things. The immediate knowledge of your own self (not that you wholly know yourself as some sort of open book) is a direct proof of other ways of learning than scientific observation. So, not everything should be argued via scientific observation, only that which is suitable to it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

However the ease with which self delusion is possible suggests that other modes of learning are not credible, as a rule.

Just because you personally see something as being real does not mean it is, at all.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

The Belgian posted:

The self is immediately given to you. You shouldn't need any convincing that your own self exists because, well, 'you're livng it'. Is this acceptable to you?

I recomend you to read this book:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Man_Who_Mistook_His_Wife_for_a_Hat

And no. If I remember correctly the book (I could be wrong), is possible to be alive, and not have sense of self.

Theres seems to be (based on the book) people that accidentally lose the sense of self of one leg or a arm, the result is hilarious / creepy, they feel like theres somebody leg or arm in his bed.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

However the ease with which self delusion is possible suggests that other modes of learning are not credible, as a rule.

Just because you personally see something as being real does not mean it is, at all.

So why is scientific observation (alone?) credible? This seems to be what you're claiming. The scientific knowledge must be mediated and if you cast doubt on the immediate mode, then all else is tainted too.

Zodium posted:

anyway, here's a a cool article about differential topology and exotic manifolds. i've got a few digits riding in friendly bets on exotic 4-d spheres being the key to capturing behavior mathematically.

Cool, yeah 4D is weird but every other dimension's probably weird too. The symmetry of 4D space, SO(4), falls apart into two discint parts that don't talk to eachother, which no other space does. But a lot of the real weirdness that physicists right now are interested in is in 2D.

I think we've made more progress in physics than in behaviour but it's still a really weird place. Even old stuff that once looked sensible like Newton's stuff is starting to look weird with closer analysis.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The Belgian posted:

So why is scientific observation (alone?) credible? This seems to be what you're claiming. The scientific knowledge must be mediated and if you cast doubt on the immediate mode, then all else is tainted too.

The consensus part is what makes it credible, you observe the same thing over and over with different instruments (people) and if and when they correlate, and when you can devise a theory which can be used to predict future observations accurately, you've got something credible.

FabioClone
Oct 3, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Zodium posted:

you're even crazier than the dino guy.

To be fair, what makes Mr. Dinosaur's claims different than those of other religions? Only differences I can think of are age and number of believers, neither of which necessarily indicate whether something is true or false. Also, we have strong evidence that John Lennon existed and it is certainly possible that space travel may be in humanity's future, so I think that makes his viewpoint stronger than a lot of other religions'.

I don't think he was being serious, but if there are actual differences I've overlooked, I'd like to hear them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

The consensus part is what makes it credible, you observe the same thing over and over with different instruments (people) and if and when they correlate, and when you can devise a theory which can be used to predict future observations accurately, you've got something credible.

Ok, now whyis the reality of the phenomena and the self not credible? They're immediately given and so I don't need to work starting from some consensus. The phenomena are real as phenomena, though perhaps not as externals to others.

Tei posted:

I recomend you to read this book:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Man_Who_Mistook_His_Wife_for_a_Hat

And no. If I remember correctly the book (I could be wrong), is possible to be alive, and not have sense of self.

Theres seems to be (based on the book) people that accidentally lose the sense of self of one leg or a arm, the result is hilarious / creepy, they feel like theres somebody leg or arm in his bed.
I'm aware of these kinds of stories (though I have not read this book). They're very interesting but most of them don't go against what I say, see my response to the previous quote.

There being people without a sense of self is somewhat more worrying. But it doesn't change that I'm convinced immediatly of my own self. And unless you're one of these people, all the arguments still apply to you and your self via transposition.

EDIT: I can recall a piece of music and if I focus hard enough I can even here the music faintly. The phenomena of my hearing music is certainly real. This says nothing of the observation of others.

The Belgian fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Feb 18, 2016

• Locked thread