Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Antifreeze Head posted:

I'm in a non-IT role, as is my co-worker. He can rival your grandmother for how bad he is with technology.

I was in on Sunday, and he was. I saw him sitting at his computer typing out his timesheet in Microsoft Word. He finished the document, printed it, and closed Word without saving.

He walked over to the printer (multi function device with fax, copying, scanning, etc) with a USB drive. He plucked one of the two copies he made, and put it into the document feeder, plugged the USB drive into the MFD and scanned his time sheet into a PDF which was saved on the USB drive.

He then threw away the physical copy he just put through the scanner, took the other physical copy and the USB drive back to his desk.

That's where he plugged the USB drive into the computer, opened up his gmail account, and attached the PDF to a message that he sent himself.

From there, he downloaded the file from his inbox onto his computer, so he could have a backup.

He does this every week, because that is what someone (who I assume hates him) told him to do if he wants a copy on the computer. And you might think that to be an isolated incident done to mess with me, but he doesn't have anything saved on his computer, he has never saved anything. It took me a long series of questions to determine that he had no idea that a computer could actually ever save anything, so he's been using some variation of this system for years to preserve copies of things.

You reminded me of an old post of mine from the last thread:

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Speaking of going down the rabbit hole, I had a client call today who had trouble sending email. Now let it be known that he and his brother who run this 5-person company are notorious for trying to send 20MB attachments thru AT&T's provided email service.

I encouraged him to break up today's 20MB PDF into smaller files and send those maybe 2 at a time. He called back when he got to the last one which was stalling, I remote in and see that it's 6MB but trying to go out. I have him wait for five minutes and out it goes.

I then asked him how he comes upon these massive files to send:

1) Receive 2MB PDF attachment
2) Print it out
3) Scan it thru the big Kyocera unit
4) Send 20MB scan of exact same loving thing

:psyduck:

I then advised him to not do the whole print/scan thing - just forward the email directly, or save the attachment and attach to a new email. He thought those would be introducing extra, unnecessary steps!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Antifreeze Head posted:

I'm in a non-IT role, as is my co-worker. He can rival your grandmother for how bad he is with technology.

I was in on Sunday, and he was. I saw him sitting at his computer typing out his timesheet in Microsoft Word. He finished the document, printed it, and closed Word without saving.

He walked over to the printer (multi function device with fax, copying, scanning, etc) with a USB drive. He plucked one of the two copies he made, and put it into the document feeder, plugged the USB drive into the MFD and scanned his time sheet into a PDF which was saved on the USB drive.

He then threw away the physical copy he just put through the scanner, took the other physical copy and the USB drive back to his desk.

That's where he plugged the USB drive into the computer, opened up his gmail account, and attached the PDF to a message that he sent himself.

From there, he downloaded the file from his inbox onto his computer, so he could have a backup.

He does this every week, because that is what someone (who I assume hates him) told him to do if he wants a copy on the computer. And you might think that to be an isolated incident done to mess with me, but he doesn't have anything saved on his computer, he has never saved anything. It took me a long series of questions to determine that he had no idea that a computer could actually ever save anything, so he's been using some variation of this system for years to preserve copies of things.

you're loving with us. I refuse to believe this is real.

e: an e-waste recycler came in. Or more specifically, someone my boss hired off of Craigslist to move out all of our old poo poo. A different boss wanted to make sure the guy taking our stuff would destroy the hard drives so that any potentially sensitive information that we didn't know was on them would be gone. To that end, he wrote this:

"Guarantee" used to say "guarranty" until I corrected him, which I regret now honestly.

Segmentation Fault fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Feb 17, 2016

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Surely iron-clad. No lawyer can penetrate that one.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Segmentation Fault posted:

I wish this were the case. I may be slightly incorrect in stating that he doesn't think computer CAN save anything, but it is certainly true that he has no idea HOW to make a computer save something. We work in a radio station and he will routinely take calls by recording them in Soundforge, but he never saves them. That isn't unusual if they will be used in the next five minutes, but he'll leave the program open on the desktop with the .wav hanging out in memory until he can play it for the next person, even if it is days later. I know that to be true once I closed something on him and he was upset that he couldn't get it back. I told him to just load in his saved file and he looked at me quizzically, like I suggest he harvest bananas from his rectum.

He's kinda generally bad at his job. He's on air "talent" but he smacks his lips a lot, says "uhhh..." about every three seconds (we've timed it), and has a lot of dead air in general. He also panics really quickly, angers even faster and has straight up admitted that he can't adlib anything to the point that if there is an incorrect word in a script, he'll read it. Like, he'd talk about the Florida Panthers being in the Super Bowl even if that was just a mistake in the copy from the newswire. He knows the Florida Panthers are a hockey team and that the Super Bowl is for football, but he cannot make that correction on the fly.

He also can't pronounce things all that well, particularly many names which is a constant source of amusement for us because he insists on reading out about four minutes of celebrity birthdays every day. My personal favourite is Gilbert Gottfried, who he declared to be GOT-fried. It's his birthday again in nine days and several people around here are excited to hear that he has learned absolutely nothing in the past year.

In case you are thinking he's really old and maybe can be excused because his brain is scrambled from serving in Vietnam or something, he turns 48 in April and has been in the industry for a couple of decades. He'd probably still be using actual physical tape if we didn't take the machines out of the studio. The one thing he can do really well is follow precise directions, which is how that method of saving came to be.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Antifreeze Head posted:

I wish this were the case. I may be slightly incorrect in stating that he doesn't think computer CAN save anything, but it is certainly true that he has no idea HOW to make a computer save something. We work in a radio station and he will routinely take calls by recording them in Soundforge, but he never saves them. That isn't unusual if they will be used in the next five minutes, but he'll leave the program open on the desktop with the .wav hanging out in memory until he can play it for the next person, even if it is days later. I know that to be true once I closed something on him and he was upset that he couldn't get it back. I told him to just load in his saved file and he looked at me quizzically, like I suggest he harvest bananas from his rectum.

He's kinda generally bad at his job. He's on air "talent" but he smacks his lips a lot, says "uhhh..." about every three seconds (we've timed it), and has a lot of dead air in general. He also panics really quickly, angers even faster and has straight up admitted that he can't adlib anything to the point that if there is an incorrect word in a script, he'll read it. Like, he'd talk about the Florida Panthers being in the Super Bowl even if that was just a mistake in the copy from the newswire. He knows the Florida Panthers are a hockey team and that the Super Bowl is for football, but he cannot make that correction on the fly.

He also can't pronounce things all that well, particularly many names which is a constant source of amusement for us because he insists on reading out about four minutes of celebrity birthdays every day. My personal favourite is Gilbert Gottfried, who he declared to be GOT-fried. It's his birthday again in nine days and several people around here are excited to hear that he has learned absolutely nothing in the past year.

In case you are thinking he's really old and maybe can be excused because his brain is scrambled from serving in Vietnam or something, he turns 48 in April and has been in the industry for a couple of decades. He'd probably still be using actual physical tape if we didn't take the machines out of the studio. The one thing he can do really well is follow precise directions, which is how that method of saving came to be.

:stare: So the rube goldberg saving wasn't something he came up with, he's clearly not adept enough to figure out stuff on his own.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
No, not his own design. I think it was our engineer who set up that system, probably because he was mad at him about something.

So there you go, not every broadcast engineer is incompetent, but they will probably all make you jump through hoops if they don't like you.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Antifreeze Head posted:

I'm gonna send this to our dev team and see how many of them go insane and/or attempt to murder me for doing so.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

neogeo0823 posted:

There aren't enough :stonklol: :magical: styled emotes for that. I mean, you can't get more head-in-the-sand, blatant-disregard-for-security, bull-headed, nor preposterously, monstrously, negligently stupid than that, can you? I mean, as far as network security goes, not like, burn-down-the-building-with-kerosene-soaked-shoes, anyway.

I firmly believe that some companies should never have graduated beyond paper.

Antifreeze Head posted:

And yet, literally the very next post. What the gently caress? What even the gently caress. :psypop:

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer
And suddenly, my clients are not that bad.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

FreshFeesh posted:

A good buddy of mine working at another MSP called me with a horror story that luckily wasn't his fault.

He texts me early in the morning with "do you know a lot about Bitcoin?" I ask how bad the crypto infection was and he says that the ransom is approaching $10k. The company pays and ... nothing.

Turns out it wasn't a generic crypto variant that ripped through their four interconnected locations and all of their online disk to disk backups, it was a malicious hacker who wormed their way in, somehow got domain admin rights, and then went to town nuking everything from their AD structure to shadow copies, encrypting things on a lark.

The company had no offline or cloud backups, instead duplicating data between remote sites, which were all accessible through the same network link and with the same credentials.

This 100-person civil engineering firm has public and government contracts, which when added to their existing projects puts their potential losses in the tens of millions.

While all of this is bad and terrible and post-worthy, what really brings it all home is the fact that they had been hit with crypto variants twice before and just assumed that paying the ransom was part of doing business, without ever having improved their security or business practices (sometimes actively fighting my friend's company's recommendations like "changing passwords" and "disabling former employee accounts").

Just boggles my mind.

I'd be backing up all the CYA correspondence to a billion different locations

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Can we talk about crazy religious people? I seemed to have missed the last page. About 5 years ago my grandfather started talking in tongues at random, grandmother thought he was insane then started doing it too. They found a church that was forming around some rock that was claimed to look like Marry or some other crackpot theory. Town approved the church but didn't approve the housing that my grandparents sold their house and bought into. They condos still haven't been built. They lived in the church itself for 2 years, and service was never actually held at the church.

Ever been in an empty church? Ever had a holiday even in a church with the resident priest and nun and your entire extended family the giant function hall but only fill a quarter of it if that? Creepiest poo poo ever. They were eventually kicked out and refunded their investment for being too wackjob for the guy trying to make it all happen. The compound still exists unfinished and my entire family calls this place "The Cult".

edit: Nothing against religion in general, just the far crazy side.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Feb 17, 2016

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
I hope your grandma and grandpa are getting the help they need, and that it's not hereditary.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Antifreeze Head posted:

he can't adlib anything to the point that if there is an incorrect word in a script, he'll read it.
Have you tried changing his script to end with "Go gently caress yourself, San Diego" ?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Antifreeze Head posted:

So there you go, not every broadcast engineer is incompetent, but they will probably all make you jump through hoops if they don't like you.

Bullshit, from what I've learned in this thread I'm 100% convinced that method is the standard approved .doc to .PDF conversion championed by the CE. I'm absolutely sure the CE was proud of the method as he relayed instructions to that guy, because no mere IT schmuck could be clever enough to make it work.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Steakandchips posted:

Lime Tonics, is the boss man in your story the owner?

If not, has he been sacked yet?

Was the owners son, so no real repercussions. Insurance covered half of it or some such. In po-dunkville everyone knows everyone else so nothing ever came of it. No pictures my friend could find sadly.

Edit: Changed the wording a bit.

Lime Tonics fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Feb 18, 2016

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

I'm going to dub it Karmic Entropy. For every action taken by a competent IT worker that reduces repetitive, time consuming tasks (e.g. writing a powershell script to automate a process) a user must equally and oppositely duplicate their work. Balance in all things!

You just saved an hour a week by revamping the process you use to import csv files? The coworker two cubes down just determined that because they couldn't save a read-only file they opened they have to burn it to a CD and then drag the file from the CD to a new folder on their desktop. :smithicide:

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Feb 18, 2016

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

I'm pretty sure it's just where I work. Either that or behind the scenes a lot of churches are just hosed up.

Here's a story:

The church I work for is very into pageants and theatrical stuff. They'll have plays with the thematic subtlety of a sledgehammer, usually centering around or at least alluding to going to hell.
Personally I find some of the stuff they put out there fairly objectionable but I won't derail the thread with that kind of a powder-keg. Just to preface, I'm not going to inject my personal opinion of the subject matter into any of what follows, i'm merely presenting what happened. The gist of the play they want to put on is thus:

There's a young, attractive woman riding in a cab. The devil (literally) decides to hop in shotgun next to the cab driver and "orders" him to force himself on the girl. The girl is horrified, the terrible act happens, and the cab driver somehow gets away scott free after doing the Devil's work. As if it wasn't horrible enough the woman gets pregnant and has recurring nightmares about fire and brimstone whenever she seriously thinks about abortion, so she's effectively guilted into having the kid. She has the kid, gives it up for adoption, and life continues but she can't live with the guilt of abandoning her child. She gets into drugs and ODs, which counts as suicide, which means she goes to hell. The intent is to show this on a Sunday afternoon to a mixed age audience.

So the powers that be approach me and my boss about something they want to do: they want to set the lady playing the poor woman mentioned above on fire as part of the show. Instantly the word NO launches itself from my face before the conversation really begins in earnest, but that just means I'm ignored from that point on and it's a conversation between my boss and the pastor. To this day I'm thankful for how level-headed my boss is; there have been a number of times where I've nearly lost it over stupid bullshit at this place, and setting a lady on fire as part of an act definitely ranks up there. Like most people in this place, the "actress" is a volunteer.

They're talking about this while I'm red-faced and fuming and the Head Pastor is very animatedly pontificating on kevlar and fireproof dresses and such. Clearly not anyone I want messing with pyrotechnics. My boss is completely on my side and is having almost as hard a time as I am keeping it together, but he's a veteran. He's been in this crazy trench waaaaaaay longer than I have, so he knows how to speak the lingo. My boss pretends to do the speaking in tongues bit and walks off, waving back at me and the pastor saying he'll need to think on it. A minute later my phone starts to buzz and I know that's my cue to head back to the office with him.

I get back there and I unload. They HAD to hear me screaming, they just had to, but to this day I've never heard a single word about any of it. My boss looks at me and tells me, "Look, they're going to go ahead with whatever stupidity it is they're planning. The best we can hope to do is minimize the impact. Once <pastor name> gets an idea in his head he's going to run with it no matter how negligent it is."

We talk for a while longer and get into a creative groove. I had the idea, but he put the finishing touches on it: instead of setting the girl on fire we'd use her high heels as a form of symbolism. It'd be easy enough to rig something together that would set them on fire with a switch of some kind, and we had the time to plan it so it wasn't a rush job. We ordered one of those fire starter kits that magicians use and had our plan of attack in order.

The next day he presents the idea and the pastor loves it, but he wants a practical demonstration. We don't have any high heels and the pair being used for the show are the only ones they have, so we're charged with buying a pair ourselves so we can demonstrate. The pastor is a huge rear end in a top hat with regards to scheduling and making himself available for questions/concerns, so we know he'll only be around for maybe an hour before he vanishes into the darkness for a week. We break off from the pastor and make the quickest dash for PayLess shoes that a human has ever made, returning with these red sequined abominations. They're perfect.

It takes ten minutes or so to get everything prepped, but we get it done. The presentation goes off without a hitch and the ugly shoes are burning on stage on top of an industrial rubber mat. It's a slow burn too, which I thought was a nice touch if you're going for subtlety in how you present the theme (slow encroachment of sin, damnation is a gradual burn, that kind of thing). The head pastor sort of grunts at us and tells us it's good enough, but I can tell he's not super thrilled. Dude really wanted to set this poor lady on fire, I guess. We never got comped for the shoes OR the remote starter, either.

I'm not a member of the church, so I didn't see the production. I just work there. My boss though, he saw it, and the next time I saw him was a few hours after the show and he was obviously stricken. Something was wrong. "Yo dude, you alright? You look pale as hell."
He tells me that the higher-ups didn't think the shoes burning was obvious enough. The fire was too small, not evocative enough. So they doused the shoes in kerosene and set everything up the same way we had it otherwise. "Bitch King, walk out to the stage with me. It's easier to just show you."

We walk out and the left half of the stage is charred black. I'll never forget the sight of it: the piano they keep on stage had collapsed when one of the legs burned through, the electronics and lighting were all disabled since the damage was so extensive, and apparently they had a tough time getting the fire otu at all because all the fire extinguishers were expired and barely worked. Apparently, mid-fire, someone ran out to Wal-Mart and bought two of the cheap ones while the rest of the church battled the flames on the stage with faulty equipment. Thankfully nobody got hurt, but sitting there right in the middle of the stage were a pair of high heels, completely unblemished and untouched by the fire. Mocking the absurdity of it all. I'm told it burned for twenty minutes straight while people sat around waiting for Wal-Mart guy to get back, just doing their best to contain it somehow with the power of good intentions.

To this day I don't know what they did to gently caress up so badly, but I took it as a sign that maybe there is a dude up there punishing us for our stupidity. Just maybe. Needless to say there was a prayer drive the following week and the damages ended up repaired rather quickly. I'm still just thankful they didn't try to set some poor lady on fire. And to this day they still haven't updated all the fire extinguishers, just the ones around the stage.

What in the actual gently caress

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Every time I start to think maybe my opinion on religious nutcases is a bit unfair, I'm going to go back up and re-read that post. What the loving gently caress.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Mo_Steel posted:

I'm going to dub it Karmic Entropy. For every action taken by a competent IT worker that reduces repetitive, time consuming tasks (e.g. writing a powershell script to automate a process) a user must equally and oppositely duplicate their work. Balance in all things!

You just saved an hour a week by revamping the process you use to import csv files? The coworker two cubes down just determined that because they couldn't save a read-only file they opened they have to burn it to a CD and then drag the file from the CD to a new folder on their desktop. :smithicide:

I wrote two bash scripts to mostly automate remote server checks because I didn't feel like copying and pasting commands.

Now I'm going to find out one of my coworkers nuked a SAN volume. Thanks Karmic Entropy :argh:

Also that hospital paid up, 40 bitcoins http://bigstory.ap.org/article/d89e63ffea8b46d98583bfe06cf2c5af/hospital-paid-17k-ransom-hackers-its-computer-network

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Feb 18, 2016

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Collateral Damage posted:

Have you tried changing his script to end with "Go gently caress yourself, San Diego" ?

We're not keen to risk the run in with the broadcast standards people, but we muse about something with easily mispronounced words like halcyon, indict, hyperbole and cache. Maybe something about Don Quixiote and quixiotic. Though in fairness, those should be the same thing but because English is what it is, they are entirely different even though one has its roots in the other.

He'd be fun to prank by switching the G and the H on his keyboard, but he already makes life so hard on himself whatever I do seems like small potatoes.

neogeo0823 posted:

And yet, literally the very next post. What the gently caress? What even the gently caress. :psypop:

Oh, he totally loves paper. Until about 18 months ago, we had a 386 with a 9-pin dot matrix printer that was hooked to a satellite receiver from which we'd get all of the text from the newswire. Among other things that would come off that, were weather reports.

Until they shut that service down, this guy would print off the various weather reports, cut them apart with scissors, tape them to another piece of paper, photo copy that and use the copy for his weather reports.

That's basically how stuff was done 15 or so years ago, but we've had a web interface for the newswire for years and everyone else just cuts and copies from that. I mean, he literally cuts and copies, but I think you know what I mean.

Antifreeze Head fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Feb 18, 2016

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

e: an e-waste recycler came in. Or more specifically, someone my boss hired off of Craigslist to move out all of our old poo poo. A different boss wanted to make sure the guy taking our stuff would destroy the hard drives so that any potentially sensitive information that we didn't know was on them would be gone. To that end, he wrote this:

"Guarantee" used to say "guarranty" until I corrected him, which I regret now honestly.

A small drill-press can scrap a pile of hard disks pretty quickly. Put a 12mm hole through each unit (casing and all), any subsequent attempt to spin that platter up will end badly.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

A small drill-press can scrap a pile of hard disks pretty quickly. Put a 12mm hole through each unit (casing and all), any subsequent attempt to spin that platter up will end badly.

No I'm aware. I just think the disclaimer is a work of art.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Antifreeze Head posted:

Until they shut that service down, this guy would print off the various weather reports, cut them apart with scissors, tape them to another piece of paper, photo copy that and use the copy for his weather reports.

In my last job I worked with teachers. This was their method of creating test papers or class handouts. They would type up what they wanted on a computer using Word, print it out, and then do physical cut/paste to assemble the final product. The people doing this were not elderly either. A lot of them were younger than me, and I'm only 29.

There's a lot of people who will choose the devil they know, time-consuming cutting/pasting, over the devil they don't know, learning how to use Microsoft Word or other computer software effectively.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Feb 18, 2016

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

The generation that grew up with DOS and early Windows has some advantages over both younger and older people in my experience. Kids these days generally don't give a gently caress about how stuff works, they just want their games to work. Back in the early 90s you had to be somewhat computer literate to get poo poo working. Especially games. Now? Install steam, done.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I'm pretty sure the minicomputer/mainframe greybeards from the 70s said the same thing about MS-DOS and the PC.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Wibla posted:

The generation that grew up with DOS and early Windows has some advantages over both younger and older people in my experience. Kids these days generally don't give a gently caress about how stuff works, they just want their games to work. Back in the early 90s you had to be somewhat computer literate to get poo poo working. Especially games. Now? Install steam, done.

I installed Steam and none of the games work to a degree I would call acceptable. (Then again, the ones I bought were Morrowind and New Vegas. However, they both run just fine on my Microsoft-brand Xbox and Xbox 360 home computer systems.)

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Collateral Damage posted:

I'm pretty sure the minicomputer/mainframe greybeards from the 70s said the same thing about MS-DOS and the PC.

I really don't think this is the same thing. It's more like the evolution that cars went through. You don't need to know how a computer works to work it anymore the same way you don't really need to know how a car is built to drive it. Is that information helpful in certain contexts? Yes! Does the usage of a car require you to understand it to use it effectively for your purposes? Certainly not.

Lots of people understand that computers can do lots of amazing things but assume it is beyond their understanding or time constraints to be able to do it themselves. They fall back on tools they know how to use to get their job done.

This is mostly a UI failure on the part of the tools they're using. Straight up, Microsoft Word is a bitch to use. Arcane bullshit lurks around every loving corner if you so much as attempt to do something beyond a simple document with a header/footer. It's real bad and we shouldn't blame users for not understanding it since there are times when we, ourselves, don't understand why it chooses to do the crazy things it does.

Users have been trained through using tools they can't trust that computers aren't capricious assholes waiting to gently caress them at every turn. With some software I can't say they're wrong on that fact, and that's sad.

Users probably should know how to save. However, we shouldn't delude ourselves into thinking that any of this stuff is "obvious." A lot of us only understand it and have patience for it because we grew up with it.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Feb 18, 2016

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ErIog posted:

This is mostly a UI failure on the part of the tools they're using.

If they made a program that was a) actually literally 100% WYSIWYG and b) geared towards tasks real live people actually want to accomplish in real life, then people wouldn't need scissors and glue anymore. Hell, even just one or the other would go a long way. This will never happen because all coders are absolute poo poo and designers are just coders who can't code.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer
TBH, scissors and glue are much easier to use than MS word. Reminds me that each time I had to make a more complicated document, I would just get lost in Word, close it and fire up InDesign. Sure, it is an overkill, and it hardly has best interface ever, but it is much more logical and workflow is much more understandable if you want any kind of text reflow. But, with some exception with excel formulas, I suck at MS Office.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Of course WYSIWYG isn't even entirely a software issue. As long as lovely companies keep making lovely printers that can't print on an entire A4 (or whatever the paper size), and lovely people keep buying them, real WYSIWYG won't happen.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.
The biggest complaints about word et al are always about how it doesn't do DTP properly and Microsoft should've integrated publisher into word eons ago to remedy that.

edit:
Although I am aware that a foolproof system is not on the cards ever, that's just not how the world works. Freshman students will bitch and moan about having to learn to computer until the end of days even if we build a computer that can read their minds.

edit2:
And don't get me started about student bitching about us buying ebooks instead of physical ones because they love the feeling of a physical one. Suck it up, you kept stealing them and we are sick of having to buy new ones all the time.

DONT TOUCH THE PC fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Feb 18, 2016

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I wish I were still naive enough to believe that one day someone could invent a non-lovely printer.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ghostlight posted:

I wish I were still naive enough to believe that one day someone could invent a non-lovely printer.

I remember using non-poo poo laser printers back in the late 80s and early 90s. Canon at least made some.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

I've never had any trouble with my Samsung colour laser wireless printer :shrug:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

The Lone Badger posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ol_odX02NAg

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
I wrote this a while ago and just found it again. Need to record a version. (In particular, I look forward to the whiskey and cigarettes recording it will require.)

the keyboard has been drinking
my bluetooth set's asleep
the tech team went back to new york, and left me all alone
the server has to take a leak
have you noticed that the carpet needs a haircut?
and the monitor looks just like a prison break
and the telephone's out of cigarettes
as usual the mail server's on the make
and the keyboard has been drinking, heavily
and he's on the hard stuff tonight

and you can't find your netapp
even with the geiger counter
and i guarantee you that it will hate you
from the bottom of its raid
and all of your friends remind you
that you just can't get served without it

and the webmaster's blind in one eye
and he can't see out of the other
and the nt admin's got a hearing aid
and he showed up with his mother
and the keyboard has been drinking
without fear of contradiction i say

our father who art in heaven
hallowed be thy glass
thy kingdom come, thy will be done
on earth as it is in the office
give us this day our daily splash
forgive us our hangovers
as we forgive all those who continue to hangover against us
and lead us not into temptation
but deliver from evil and someone you must all ride home

because the keyboard has been drinking
and he's your friend not mine
and he's not my responsibility

the security guard's this sumo wrestler
kinda cream puff casper milquetoast
and the ceo's just a mental midget
with the i.q. of a fencepost
i'm going down, hang onto me, i'm going down
watch me skate across an acre of nylon axminster
i know i can do it, i'm in total control
and he's embarassing me
the keyboard has been drinking, he raided his mini bar

and the aerons are all on fire
and all the news sites were just fooling
and slashdot has retired
and i've got a feeling that the keyboard has been drinking
it's just a hunch
the keyboard has been drinking and he's going to lose his lunch
not me, not me
not me

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
A customer came in.

"I went on a porn site and I got hit hard."

... Points for honesty I guess?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

A customer came in.

"I went on a porn site and I got hit hard."

... Points for honesty I guess?

If they admit to a porn site, the truth must be far more nefarious.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

divabot posted:

I wrote this a while ago and just found it again. Need to record a version. (In particular, I look forward to the whiskey and cigarettes recording it will require.)

my bluetooth set's asleep
the tech team went back to new york, and left me all alone
the server has to take a leak
have you noticed that the carpet needs a haircut?
and the monitor looks just like a prison break
and the telephone's out of cigarettes
as usual the mail server's on the make
and the keyboard has been drinking, heavily
and he's on the hard stuff tonight

and you can't find your netapp
even with the geiger counter
and i guarantee you that it will hate you
from the bottom of its raid
and all of your friends remind you
that you just can't get served without it

and the webmaster's blind in one eye
and he can't see out of the other
and the nt admin's got a hearing aid
and he showed up with his mother
without fear of contradiction i say

our father who art in heaven
hallowed be thy glass
thy kingdom come, thy will be done
on earth as it is in the office
give us this day our daily splash
forgive us our hangovers
as we forgive all those who continue to hangover against us
and lead us not into temptation
but deliver from evil and someone you must all ride home

and he's your friend not mine
and he's not my responsibility

the security guard's this sumo wrestler
kinda cream puff casper milquetoast
and the ceo's just a mental midget
with the i.q. of a fencepost
i'm going down, hang onto me, i'm going down
watch me skate across an acre of nylon axminster
i know i can do it, i'm in total control
and he's embarassing me
the keyboard has been drinking, he raided his mini bar

and the aerons are all on fire
and all the news sites were just fooling
and slashdot has retired
and i've got a feeling that the keyboard has been drinking
it's just a hunch
the keyboard has been drinking and he's going to lose his lunch
not me, not me
not me

This is loving beautiful.

For those that don't get the reference:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPPtrqvHGEg

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Kaizoku posted:

If they admit to a porn site, the truth must be far more nefarious.

Mousing over Internet Explorer just showed some relatively benign stuff. I just threw Chrome on his machine, installed ublock, and called it a day. It satisfied him and I have more pressing stuff in the shop right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

divabot posted:

This is a thing of beauty. And once you've got the proper whiskey voice you can leave IT for a career in blues.

• Locked thread