Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hanales
Nov 3, 2013
I wanted to play star citizen but I got caught up in a WH4K campaign. Took up my entire room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

if it was a screen resolution joke i didnt get it

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I tried making a video but my PC says I don;t have the right kind of RAM, can anyone help?

Galarox
Sep 23, 2015

Fun Shoe
Well as we all like recipies... Here's a Recipie book available at all good bookstores:

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

Toysrme posted:

What they told me when I wanted a refund on my Primary account.
(again screenshot, 4k monitor. sorry its big)

http://i.imgur.com/FzedAKC.png

Oh hey Toys, I remember you from when I actually played Arena Commander. Remember the time that I shot your spaceship with a missile in a game about shooting spaceships with missiles and you got so mad that you went to Twitch channels to complain about it? Good times. Was this before or after you got 4k monitors? I would think before, because surely you could see a missile coming with your 4k monitor. Also, it's really cool that you have 4k monitors. I wish I had 4k monitors.

Seriously though, good luck with your chargeback.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Obviously you weren't born on July 14th.

So… what? Can't people born on 7-14 clatter their teeth? The poor souls! Why?!
Don't they have teeth or do they have some hideous extra mouth flaps that cover them up and keeps them from coming in contact?

This sounds like an even worse version than the Stimpire.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
http://indiewolverine.com/2016/02/01/video-game-kickstarter-tips/

Harebrained Schemes linked this article about how to not gently caress up your KS. Good read.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Berious posted:

Science wouldn't dare to create such a thing

Yeah, we'll probably get 165Hz 4k screens.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Harebrained Schemes linked this article about how to not gently caress up your KS. Good read.

Yep, which is why I had no problem handing them $20 for battletech.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Colostomy Bag posted:

Yep, which is why I had no problem handing them $20 for battletech.

Yup, same. Can't wait for it to come out!

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Is there a computer out there that can run Star Citizen at 60fps

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Tippis posted:

So… what? Can't people born on 7-14 clatter their teeth? The poor souls! Why?!
Don't they have teeth or do they have some hideous extra mouth flaps that cover them up and keeps them from coming in contact?

This sounds like an even worse version than the Stimpire.

Good question, the original lore doesn't mention removal of skeleton AND teeth on July 14th.

Sounds like the Keepers of the Stimflames will need to make a judgement ruling to clarify this.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Iglocska posted:

Yup, same. Can't wait for it to come out!

Same here. HBS has some of the best marketing people in the business.

You heard me Sandi.

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Same here. HBS has some of the best marketing people in the business.

You heard me Sandi.

they also have that sweet sweet history of setting reasonable goals and driving towards delivering a complete product on a realistic timeframe. when they fire off that kickstarter they lay out explicitly what they want to build, and don't leave it vague to be ever-changing later.

and as a result they've been successful multiple times and have a good, trustworthy track record of not going off the rails.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

MeLKoR posted:

Why do you need to keep bringing up your 4k monitor with every post? Imgur has a very convenient "EDIT" button that allows you to "RESIZE" your images to sizes the plebs can deal with. hth

Because, he's a little whale with 4K in the CIG pot, and like all whales, he needs to overcompensate.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I was linked to an old talk today, in which the creator of Team Fortress outlines some of the reasons why Valve keep their big fat mouths shut.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fwv1G3WFSfI
Jump to 33:50. The guy's not a fantastic public speaker and stumbles over his words a lot, so I transcribed a chunk of it:

Robin Walker posted:

Let's talk about External Communication, which is forum posts, blogs, emails and so on. Back at the start we essentially identified this as communication that's outside the flow of the improvement of the product, right? It's much harder than product communication, or much riskier, so let's start... let's try and understand why. And fear not, this is a lot shorter than the other bit...

So, a typical scenario involving External Communication might involve something like this: You see a customer report a bug in a forum somewhere, and so you as a member of the dev team go "Hey yeah, that's a bug, I'll go and fix it", and then you go and fix it. That would be great! Unfortunately, as you get into it, you find it didn't quite work out like that. Maybe you get in there and find that that bug's a lot harder to fix than you thought. Actually, it's not something you're gonna get out in the next update, maybe you won't get it out for months! That's a really significant bug. Or maybe it involves trade-offs, like, you can fix it, and that customer'll be happier, but now a bunch of other customers are gonna be less happy. So what do I do there? Or maybe you find out that you can't fix it, like the trade-off is so great that you can't fix it. Like "Yeah, we can fix it, and we have to drop support for Windows 7, and that's not something we can do" or whatever, right? You can't fix it. Or maybe you just find that... even if you could fix it, you shouldn't fix it. Maybe as you're getting into fixing it, you realize "This bug is entwined in the balance of our game, if we change this suddenly now our competitive game balance is off and it's all kind of screwed, so we can't fix it".

The problem is, by posting in that forum and saying "Yeah, I'm gonna fix that", our piece of External Communication has now made it harder for us, it's made our life harder. It's done two things that are worth noting. One is it changed the community conversation around the bug, and this is most easily thought of as... Imagine if it wasn't a bug, it was a piece of balance suggestion or something like that. Well now, the community is... you've interjected an official voice about what we as a dev team think is right into that community conversation, and the problem there is that we don't really want to be... the best feedback we typically get from our customers is the things they say to each other when they think we're not there. We don't want to colour their opinion of the product with what we're trying to do, or what we think is right, or anything. We want customers to have that conversation and we just want to sit there and listen to it as much as we can. So if we start colouring that conversation, telling a bunch of customers that "Oh, the OFFICIAL voice is that that bunch of customers is right, and this bunch of customers is wrong!" then we've permanently altered that conversation in a way that causes us to get less valuable feedback around that entire topic, potentially forever.

We've also added friction here with that choice, specifically friction about our ability to make the choices that are right for our customers. If any of the four examples we've have for why you can't fix the bug turn out to be true, what you're essentially saying is that "Even though we SAID we'll fix the bug, the right thing, for our customers as a whole, to do is to NOT fix the bug." So we wanna change our mind, and that piece of external communication has now made it harder for us to change our mind. And it's really, really critical that we can change our mind. Today, or maybe at any point in the future, right, that piece of External Communication is on the internet, it will be there forever, and if in five years from now we realize, y'know, "We've done five years of learning what's right for our product, our customers, we've learned a ton, we've evolved the product, the right thing to do is to actually implement something different", that piece of External Communication is still out there. So even if it all works out perfectly - like, we say we're gonna fix the bug, we fix the bug, everyone's happy - it may still come back to bite us later. So even if we make that particular customer happy, there's that risk of being made unhappy in the future by the fact we've gone back on our word.

It's important to realize that this concept of "we need to be able to change our mind" is the whole point of game-as-service. Like, the whole point of running products that you publicly iterate, is to change your mind in response to customers impacting the product, right? If we weren't gonna let customers interactions with the product change our mind, then we should have just kept the thing inside, worked on it for five years, then unveiled it and walked away. But the whole point of doing public iteration is we WANT them to change our mind, so we need to be able to do that.

But unfortunately, BAD communication is worse than none. And if we define bad communication as communication that just turns out to not be true, something we said to our customers that they know isn't true now or, unfortunately, any time in the future, or any communication that just makes our customers far more confused, or less sure of what we're doing, or in their trust in us, then that form of communication costs us more than if we hadn't said anything in the first place. As we've talked about, they have ongoing future costs and they reduce our ability to operate or make good decisions in the future in that space, and it destroys customer's trust in our decision-making process. It destroys their trust in our communication, right, if we communicate ten things and five of them turn out to be false, then their ability to trust the next ten things we say is gonna start decreasing over time.

You can probably remember like ten different ways this has effected Star Citizen off the top of your head right now.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

You know, after further review I noticed CIG wasn't on there. Hmmm...

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Hold up wait, I must have missed this.

So RSI has released a variety of pirate themed vessels? Pirates go down to the Ship Yarrrrrrd and buy a Cutlass from a guy in a Jack Sparrow outfit wtf? Why would you name/market ships to pirates? Wouldn't they just use any ship they could steal?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
The brown sea constantly shits itself about PIRATES and GRIEFING and FEELING GRIEF and yet politely don't mention that CIG sells ships designed for pirates to use. These people are amazing and keep on giving.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

runsamok posted:

Good lord he rubs me the wrong way, more than most of the CIG employees (except Ben the Human Soft Serve Cone & The Stimperor himself).

Same, shilling because it earns you a crust I can understand. That's just doing your job. Shilling for free because you're just such a massive cultist fanboy is icky.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Iridium posted:

they also have that sweet sweet history of setting reasonable goals and driving towards delivering a complete product on a realistic timeframe. when they fire off that kickstarter they lay out explicitly what they want to build, and don't leave it vague to be ever-changing later.

and as a result they've been successful multiple times and have a good, trustworthy track record of not going off the rails.

Yeah. I have little to no interest in the BT/MW franchise, but I saw that — to no-one's surprise — they had busted through their funding (and stretch) goals and they started getting all kinds of questions on the theme of “couldn't you add…”. They quickly and firmly squashed that with a “no, those are our goals and we're sticking to them — doing anything else would be stupid”, with a (not so) hidden jab at CIG mixed in for good measure. That alone almost made me back it on sheer principle.

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

Mendrian posted:

So RSI has released a variety of pirate themed vessels? Pirates go down to the Ship Yarrrrrrd and buy a Cutlass from a guy in a Jack Sparrow outfit wtf? Why would you name/market ships to pirates? Wouldn't they just use any ship they could steal?

yes, basically the entire Drake line (Cutlass, Caterpillar, Herald).

the wink wink nudge nudge storyline is that Drake knows exactly who ends up using them and is just cool with it but doesn't actively market as pirate poo poo, which doesn't explain a goddamn thing but of course Ben thinks it does, so the brown sea does too

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Mendrian posted:

I was told in no uncertain terms by the turds dwelling in the brown sea that there are no ships aimed at pirates and that CIG never have said anything officially about pirates being allowed.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Not overproduced enough, needs more bright lights and filters.

This is CIG, not J.J. Abrams.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
This took way too long and is not even slightly funny,enjoy.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

peter gabriel posted:

I was told in no uncertain terms by the turds dwelling in the brown sea that there are no ships aimed at pirates and that CIG never have said anything officially about pirates being allowed.

The brown sea's relationship to reality is somewhat similar to Norman Bates' relationship to shower curtains.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Iridium posted:

yes, basically the entire Drake line (Cutlass, Caterpillar, Herald).

the wink wink nudge nudge storyline is that Drake knows exactly who ends up using them and is just cool with it but doesn't actively market as pirate poo poo, which doesn't explain a goddamn thing but of course Ben thinks it does, so the brown sea does too

Can someone summarize what the issues were with the Cutlass? Seems to be the most controversial ship on how it was sold and what was delivered.

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

Colostomy Bag posted:

Can someone summarize what the issues were with the Cutlass? Seems to be the most controversial ship on how it was sold and what was delivered.

lol you mean most controversial ship that was delivered

ask the caterpillar owners how their ship is coming along since it was announced in like mid-2013

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Colostomy Bag posted:

Good question, the original lore doesn't mention removal of skeleton AND teeth on July 14th.

Sounds like the Keepers of the Stimflames will need to make a judgement ruling to clarify this.

If I may -

While removal of the teeth is not specifically mandated according to Stimperial edict, the subject's entire skeleton must be removed and replaced with a silver liquid. This necessitates the removal of all teeth, as the skull and mandible cannot be replaced with silver liquid while teeth are still in place. Teeth are not required to be replaced following the procedure, although sometimes children of wealthy parents will have grinding plates grafted in their place.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

Colostomy Bag posted:

Originally sold as a highly-maneuverable raiding ship, sort of a glass cannon. Actually came out as an uncontrollable turd, literally one of the worst ships to fly.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Iridium posted:

lol you mean most controversial ship that was delivered

ask the caterpillar owners how their ship is coming along since it was announced in like mid-2013

Or Banu Merchantman owners which piece of now-invalid concept art was their favorite.

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

Beet Wagon posted:

Or Banu Merchantman owners which piece of now-invalid concept art was their favorite.

that too but the caterpillar was clearly disappointing people first

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Colostomy Bag posted:

One could argue teeth are an exposed part of the skeleton. And they are a great way to inflict pain.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Iridium posted:

that too but the caterpillar was clearly disappointing people first

My favorite thing about the Caterpillar is how some loving autist came up with a "Wouldn't it be cool if..." about somehow externally mounting Cutlasses to it and using it as a pirate carrier or something, and CIG did absolutely gently caress-all to quash the idea until it had completely taken hold and the entire community was sharing fan-made concept art of obviously loving impossible configurations of the two ships "human centipede"-ing.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Samizdata posted:

One could argue teeth are an exposed part of the skeleton. And they are a great way to inflict pain.

Beet Wagon posted:

If I may -

While removal of the teeth is not specifically mandated according to Stimperial edict, the subject's entire skeleton must be removed and replaced with a silver liquid. This necessitates the removal of all teeth, as the skull and mandible cannot be replaced with silver liquid while teeth are still in place. Teeth are not required to be replaced following the procedure, although sometimes children of wealthy parents will have grinding plates grafted in their place.

Both compelling arguments that I agree with. I motion that teeth removal on July 14th become lore.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Colostomy Bag posted:

Both compelling arguments that I agree with. I motion that teeth removal on July 14th become lore.

I wasn't sure who all is a keeper of the flame and who isn't, but it didn't seem very Stimperial to just leave a citizen with perfectly good teeth.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

I wasn't sure who all is a keeper of the flame and who isn't, but it didn't seem very Stimperial to just leave a citizen with perfectly good teeth.

I view it more of a council or committee. A few of us here have a pretty good grasp on the Stimpire. Whether you like it or not, you are on the committee.

SpunkyRedKnight
Oct 12, 2000

Didn't even have to change the tag line.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Colostomy Bag posted:

Whether you like it or not, you are on the committee.

Oh poo poo, I better update my LinkedIn page!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

SpunkyRedKnight posted:

Didn't even have to change the tag line.

Haha, nice.

Probably wouldn't have to change the tag line on "True Lies" either.

• Locked thread