Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lord1234
Oct 1, 2008
Going through the interview process in a Sales role for the first time has me intimidated. I've done the standard googling of "Sales interview questions", but would love to hear what you guys use as some good standby's for weeding people out. I had a phone screen(which I passed) but had to think fast on my feet when asked "what do you see as the competitive landscape for <company>?", so any good questions you guys can suggest are great. The role in question is for Sales Engineer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Alfalfa posted:

Have any contacts in Houston? lol

Unfortunately no I don't.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
Does anyone have any experience in sales with Cintas? A recruiter reached out to me about a senior sales position and I had a phone interview with the regional sales manager today. He gave me some info: It is an external sales position, looking for new business-to business sales. He told me it's a base 43-45k, uncapped commision doing outside sales. He also said the average sales rep (company wide) made $113,00 /year (median average I think, he wasn't sure), they offer $355 /month allowance for a car which goes on Cintas company insurance and I get a gas card. They also match 401k up to 6%, and after 6/mo's I get 1 week off per year.

Of course it sounds appealing coming from the recruiter and manager. I've done a little research, but I wasn't planning on looking for another position yet so I am pretty unprepared. I'm in Enterprise's Management Trainee program now.

What are some things I should look out for? Is this a stable position? What are some questions I should ask? Has anybody done external sales with Cintas? Or any other positions with Cintas? Anything you wish you knew going into it?

Thank you

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

grvm posted:

Does anyone have any experience in sales with Cintas? A recruiter reached out to me about a senior sales position and I had a phone interview with the regional sales manager today. He gave me some info: It is an external sales position, looking for new business-to business sales. He told me it's a base 43-45k, uncapped commision doing outside sales. He also said the average sales rep (company wide) made $113,00 /year (median average I think, he wasn't sure), they offer $355 /month allowance for a car which goes on Cintas company insurance and I get a gas card. They also match 401k up to 6%, and after 6/mo's I get 1 week off per year.

Of course it sounds appealing coming from the recruiter and manager. I've done a little research, but I wasn't planning on looking for another position yet so I am pretty unprepared. I'm in Enterprise's Management Trainee program now.

What are some things I should look out for? Is this a stable position? What are some questions I should ask? Has anybody done external sales with Cintas? Or any other positions with Cintas? Anything you wish you knew going into it?

Thank you

I got offered a similar deal with my company (not Cintas). Only my car allownace is 580 with a 12 cent per km mileage thing. No gas card (which IMO is way better than a mileage payment). I also got 60k instead of 45k base and a 25% bonus if I hit a certain target for sales.

My job turned out to be relatively safe but I received no sales training or real guidance in terms of lead generation and penetrating into the companies I'm supposed to sell to. My advice to you is to thoroughly research your market. Make sure it isn't oversaturated with competition and incumbent suppliers like mine is. You're kind of selling a commodity in that most other companies will source/manufacture the exact same products you offer. Price will be one of your primary determinants as a result unless Cintas has a very powerful marketing game.

Here's a list of things you need to watch out for:

1. How powerful is their marketing (I've seen them everywhere so they're a household name at least. That means most of the heavy lifting is done for you and you just gotta hustle harder)

2. Is your territory already saturated with existing business - Incumbent relationships are practically bullet proof. Facility services are among the last things people think of when it comes to purchasing in businesses. A company like Cintas is more likely to get traction with big corporations and fancy companies that can spend more on their facilities.

3. Training? Make drat sure you are getting trained. If they plop you out there like a naked baby in the woods you're just being set up to fail.

4. Lastly I'd try and do a dry run. Ask your connections and friends what they're using in their buildings. See if its a cintas product. Try to get a feel for what they're looking for. Maybe even do a dry run where you get on linked in and find people who might be your customers if you worked there and test out the field to see how receptive they are.

Look around lobbies and washrooms and see what's being used. Think about your experience with that. Try to put that into perspective relative to the cintas product.

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

:australia:
Advice that's probably relevant to several people In this thread - linkedin lets you search for current AND past employees of a company. Several times I've searched for the guys and girls that used to have the job I'm being interviewed for and messaged them asking why they left. People are usually very open and honest and you'll get a different spiel than what the recruiter/hiring manager is telling you

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
Thanks for the help! I'm looking around and asking people about quality of life, work/life balance, and that sort of stuff now.

How much difficulty did y'all have finding positions after moving to new metro areas? I have a feeling that I'll be in that position in the not so distant future.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

grvm posted:

Thank you

It depends on what kind of business you area has. If it's the Cintas uniform company then you will be able to get through the door at least in most places.

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

:frogout:
Are there any hot sales markets around DC? To all of you that are in sales, what does your actual day to day look like? Are you calling people all day? Meeting people? Do you sell stuff to your friends? Do you have friends? I'm all of a sudden intensely curious about the lives of different types of sales people.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tots posted:

Do you have friends?

I haven't had friends since school. Since working, everyone is placed in one of two columns: Prospect | Worthless.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
Hey everyone, first of all thank you for all your great feedback.

I started the interview process. I found out a lot of details about the position I'm in for, reached out to a lot of people who told me it was a good company to work for (past employees I found on linked in), found out it's a stable company and they have a highly rated training program. I did a ride along and saw what I would be doing (lots of cold calling/on site visits) and they set up an interview with the regional sales manager for tomorrow. It's all moving super quick but it seems like a good opportunity and I'm excited to go forward.

I know for tomorrow I should have questions prepared, a brag book, and look clean and wonderful. But here's where I'm reaching out to you: what are some great questions? What are some wow factor things I could pull out? What should I know or ask?

This will be my first interview for a fully sales position (currently in a sales/management position) and I want to be as prepared as possible.

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

:australia:

grvm posted:

Hey everyone, first of all thank you for all your great feedback.

I started the interview process. I found out a lot of details about the position I'm in for, reached out to a lot of people who told me it was a good company to work for (past employees I found on linked in), found out it's a stable company and they have a highly rated training program. I did a ride along and saw what I would be doing (lots of cold calling/on site visits) and they set up an interview with the regional sales manager for tomorrow. It's all moving super quick but it seems like a good opportunity and I'm excited to go forward.

I know for tomorrow I should have questions prepared, a brag book, and look clean and wonderful. But here's where I'm reaching out to you: what are some great questions? What are some wow factor things I could pull out? What should I know or ask?

This will be my first interview for a fully sales position (currently in a sales/management position) and I want to be as prepared as possible.

If possible find out their biggest competitor; see what that competitor has that they don't and then ask the RSM how or why he doesn't see that as a threat. Market and competitive intelligence is key

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
Since sales is all about goals, setting 30 day, 6 month, 1 year goals and present to RSM and ask for feedback. They don't have to be exact but something like reach out to 50% of existing customers in first thirty days, make X number of calls to new customers in 6 months, etc. They need to be actionable and measurable.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Jon Von Anchovi posted:

If possible find out their biggest competitor; see what that competitor has that they don't and then ask the RSM how or why he doesn't see that as a threat. Market and competitive intelligence is key

Yeah, take this advice. I didn't know what I got myself into and our competition is mopping the floor with us despite us being the biggest player in town.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Kraftwerk posted:

Any of you guys ever heard of Concur? I hear they're hurting for staff to expand their marketshare. I've been ahead of the game on this and know that Concur seems like a pretty great system to have in most organizations that want to move away from the usual excel spreadsheet expense management system. Would probably be a little tough to convince some of the smaller and more old school firms to go with it but I see a lot of growth potential here if I get in now. I also think it's neat how it is a part of the SAP umbrella and I think streamlining something like expense management with your ERP is a great idea and can go a long way to improving a business and saving time.

I personally would love to have Concur so I don't have to collect easy to lose receipts and scan them all from a photocopier to send to accounting.

Any thoughts?
We're using Concur and while it does have some weird quirks (can't have a comma in the comment field!), expense tracking does work pretty well, as does the integration with ERP. I don't have any experience with the competition (other than old-school SAP) but it got to be a pretty good deal for anyone stuck with emailing excel files around and what not. We still have to submit paper receipts but that's just a policy issue obviously.

I don't have PM, but you can email me at mobby.6kl at gmail if you want to talk in a bit more detail.

devoir
Nov 16, 2007
My wider team is hiring a significant number of Sales Engineers - http://newrelic.com/about/careers/job/oBXgZfwx

Relocation is on the table if you aren't already in SF, but no additional permanent remote staff are being considered at this time.

I don't want to gush unnecessarily, but I only transitioned to a sales engineer role here because of how excellent the company, product and team are. Happy to take questions via PMs or leave your e-mail.

We're open to people who don't have previous sales experience, but have the technical chops and people skills proven in other roles.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

devoir posted:

My wider team is hiring a significant number of Sales Engineers - http://newrelic.com/about/careers/job/oBXgZfwx

Relocation is on the table if you aren't already in SF, but no additional permanent remote staff are being considered at this time.

I don't want to gush unnecessarily, but I only transitioned to a sales engineer role here because of how excellent the company, product and team are. Happy to take questions via PMs or leave your e-mail.

We're open to people who don't have previous sales experience, but have the technical chops and people skills proven in other roles.

Holy poo poo. My recruiter is actually looking into new relic for me as an option for when I inevitably jump ship from my current company. I heard a LOT of good things about this company.

Do you have any information about what it's like being an Enterprise Field Sales Executive there? I live in Canada right now, would you take someone who's had aerospace sales engineer experience? Within a couple months I figured out how to discuss deeply technical subjects with airline customers at my old job and did technical backup for sales teams. If I can figure out how to discuss aircraft and aircraft components I think the core mindset of understanding technical products can be re-purposed to software too.

Kraftwerk fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Feb 19, 2016

devoir
Nov 16, 2007

Kraftwerk posted:

Holy poo poo. My recruiter is actually looking into new relic for me as an option for when I inevitably jump ship from my current company. I heard a LOT of good things about this company.

Do you have any information about what it's like being an Enterprise Field Sales Executive there? I live in Canada right now, would you take someone who's had aerospace sales engineer experience? Within a couple months I figured out how to discuss deeply technical subjects with airline customers at my old job and did technical backup for sales teams. If I can figure out how to discuss aircraft and aircraft components I think the core mindset of understanding technical products can be re-purposed to software too.

A large portion of my time is spent working with our Enterprise AEs. We have hired AEs with wildly varying levels of domain knowledge/experience, predominantly based on their proven ability to compete, sell and be agile.

Looks like you don't have PMs - if you can post your e-mail or something we can have go a little deeper.

DogsCantBudget
Jul 8, 2013
drat, if I didn't have to move to SF, this would be a super interesting role for me. I have a pretty great set of qualifications for it too :(a

devoir
Nov 16, 2007

DogsCantBudget posted:

drat, if I didn't have to move to SF, this would be a super interesting role for me. I have a pretty great set of qualifications for it too :(a

That sucks. If you think you're an excellent fit for the role, I'd love to see the resume and an informal "why me" paragraph - maybe you're the exception to the location rule?

DogsCantBudget
Jul 8, 2013
I don't have PM's...is there any way to get in touch with you? Email addy?

devoir posted:

That sucks. If you think you're an excellent fit for the role, I'd love to see the resume and an informal "why me" paragraph - maybe you're the exception to the location rule?

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
So I didn't get that position with Cintas, but this process has piqued my interest: what is a good way to find my way to more interviews in business to business sales? What are some companies with highly rated training I should maybe look into? Any key words I should be throwing into my linked in? Anything else I should know?

I've done the business to business process with enterprise, but it's not my focus in my position. I'm on the eastern shore of Maryland, if anyone is familiar with this area.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

What's it like working for Netsuite? They're interested in having me join them.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I am cross posting this from Career Paths

Waroduce posted:

I'm not really sure where to put this, so I figure I'll ask here and move it if it doesn't belong. I need some serious advice if you guys don't mind reading a wall of text.

I'm 26 and have been in sales for almost 3 years with the same company. They hired me straight out of college at 30K a year. I need a job. Fine. The company does around 300$ million in business a year, is one of the largest independent dealers in the US, has several fortune 500 clients, and is in general a really cool and good place to work in the other branches. The CEO wanted to expand into this state, and purchased an existing dealership, fired everyone but the owner who now acts as GM and Sales Manager out of a little office in a lovely part of town. He recently got a brand spanking sexy new office and warehouse space in a nicer part of town. i worked up and down the street for about a year and a half selling multi-function copiers up and down the street. Alot of cold calls, telemarketing, all that poo poo. I was ok, i covered my base and made quota consistently. I wasn't great but I covered my numbers in a competitive industry in a competitive market.

About a year and a half into this, i found a bid for one of the largest school districts in the nation (top 10, 300+ schools, 40+ business locations, 250K+ students, 36K staff) that was due in like two weeks. I read the whole thing, and filled it out. Wrote my own scope of work, pulled references, priced out options and equipment. I emailed the financials to the CEO, CFO, VP of Sales, my immediate boss (and GM/SM/Owner) whom we'll call Bob before turning it in for review because we use internal leasing and I'm asking the company to front several million dollars. No on said anything so I submitted it.

I won. It is by an order of magnitude the largest single hardware deal in the company, we placed over 1000 copiers into the district. I had a discussion with Bob where he told me verbally that i would be salaried at 50-60K and would earn approximately $60,000 in manufacturer spiffs (kickbacks, a sort of rewards program). Cool.

The deal as Structured in whats called a cost per page or cost per click agreement. You pay every time you print, and the click rate has your equipment cost, service, labor, parts, toner etc included in it. We came in half a million dollars cheaper than the next closest in competition, and if you do bidding, thats a lot of loving money. Turned out i essentially used a 60 month lease rate on a 36 month contract, which gave us our low low price. The CEO ran the numbers after we won, and figured we would break even or be in the red slightly on the account if their volume (pages printed) remained static. If they grew 5% we'd make a bunch of loving money according to him. I was ecstatic because i was tired of doing up and down the street sales, and now i got to manage this major account which is a hell of a reference and I figured a hell of a resume builder.

The incumbent bidder drags us to court protesting, just as an effort to drag their existing contract out and continue to collect. Bob fronts like 60K in lawyers fees fighting a bullshit protest and we win six months later. I continue to sell during this period and hit quota.

Bob plans on bringing in Phil, a major project manager for corporate who basically does large private and public entity bidding and implements them.

We have about a month and a half until we are to start the project, literally two days before school starts and that's a nightmare, because we are going to be crawling all over schools pulling out copiers, putting ours in, networking them, deploying drivers, configuring features and training users during the busiest period of the year. During this period, I start building a deployment schedule, until the district tells us they don't have all the schools Purchase Orders in and we will have to deploy as we receive purchase orders, because we aren't installing equipment without one. Ok. I still have yet to recieve any purchase orders, but I have estimated total device quantities and a map of the district. I go out and speak to property managers about short-term rentals and arrange for us to rent a warehouse in prime location in the middle of the district between two highways as a place to build and stage equipment.

Corporate sends us the guy who manages warehouses and inventory for the entire company to help me deploy this project. We work all week before we are to begin deploying the district offices and one of the larger business centers. He's a life saver, because he ties equipment to the entity in our system and creates sales orders for us to put equipment out. I oversee a team of foreign engineers and American reps the equipment manufacturer whose product we used sent us. I have them building, updating and staging equipment in the warehouse around the clock all week.

Bob has a brief discussion with me about pay, where he tells me it probably can't be 60K since he's gunna lose money out the gate, and that he needs half my spiffs (approx 30k) to give to Phil to cover his cost/pay on the project. I disagree, but am overruled because its a large account and I've never done anything like this. Bob goes to play golf across the country all week. I text and call him all week about hammering out my compensation, and he basically tells me i can take 36K and half the spiffs or he'll find someone else to do it...over text message....Saturday morning.

I agree, because I really want to put this on my resume, I'm making 30k from the manufacturer and i don't have another job lined up. So we go from 60 toooo 36K. I should have refused but I didn't. Im fresh out of college and loving dumb. He says we'll revisit salary when he sees what the account is making.

So we start deployment monday, Phil helps for approx two weeks, and goes home. Never touches the account again, doesn't handle it, made 30k. Which pisses me off.

Moving on, I do everything for this account.
1. I build truck routes, tell the drivers what needs to be on each truck, coordinate with each site to arrange delivery and coordinate with the warehouse to make sure we have the necessary amount of units built, staged and updated for installation.
2. I am the single point of contact between my company and the account. I receive approx. 200 emails a day about various issues ranging from paper jamming to invoice questions. Technical and non technical. I dispatch service calls, trainers, engineers and networkers to sites as they have problems.
3. I build routes for installation teams typically a day or two behind the truck, who are responsible for installing the copier, deploying drivers, networking, end-user training, power training technical users and getting everything up and running. I have also installed sites myself, led installation teams and done all this from the ground up.
4. I sit between our respective Accounts department and help solve invoice and payment issues.
5. Handle ordering of hardware and accessories

I deploy roughly 1000 copiers over a period of 3 months, going all day often 7AM to 9 or 10PM. I had guys tell me to stop emailing them so late, or theyd just turn their phone off cause my guys are getting their routes at 10 o'clock at night for the following day. Just me, and the teams under me, but Phil is no where to be found. I oversee a team of approx 20-40 people day to day for the first 3 months of deployment and a team of 15 day in and day out now.

We mostly finish deployment, thank loving god around mid January.... and we realize we can't ping half our devices. We have pushed out 1000+ copiers and have approx. 450~ on a DCA (data collection agent, a software hooked up to the districts network to ask devices to report copy meter counts for billing). Well that's just hunky dory, now we need to find those other ones and make sure we can talk to them so we can bill the account and figure what we're going to make. We have also installed extra option on some copiers for an extra fee such as stapling capability, upgraded engines, or software applications. Well we need to make sure we're billing those accessories and add-ons as well so Bob decides we are going to audit every location in the district.

He hires two people, we split the district into thirds and go about visiting every school, performing an audit for devices and accessories as well as training and customer care. Both those guys were hired late last year, and both quit....roughly 3 weeks ago.

So now its just me. Making 36K, and I'm pretty pissed about it, because this audit is going to take forever and meanwhile im driving my car into the ground and blowing through gas. I'm also not selling so I get no income from that, I approached him at the end of last year about a raise and he told me that he couldn't because he's loosing money on the account, losing money on his business as he remodels his new office, and the only reason he kept the account was because the CEO told him to or it'd go to the closest branch in another city. He can't afford to pay me right now till he sees what the account makes, but he assures me i'll get paid. I feel like i have been a team player and would like to be rewarded at this point. I'd be ecstatic with 45-50K, but I spoke to a buddy at work and he doesn't think i'll get it.

I am going to begin putting my resume out and ask him in two to three weeks when i have some interviews and stuff under my belt about a raise...because I feel like my skills are above that mark at this point, and i am managing the largest account in the company. I also can't live on 36K anymore, i want to pursue grad school, my gf and I want to move in together among other things. Im not even sure what i want out of grad school but my girl is really pushing me for it and i feel like its a good decision so...yea.

So goons....should I ask him for a raise, and if so how should I? and if not, what are some types of positions I should look for? I literally haven't updated my resume since college and i have no idea how to put that account on it. I also really don't want to go back into sales.

Thank you for reading this wall of text

please let me know if you have any questions.

e: I also do SLED bidding for the company now and won two other contracts in different government districts, as well as placing well in several others I submitted.

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

You're getting hosed and you should begin by researching copier sales positions and branch off a little bit in areas that are similar. You should ask for a raise immediately and regardless if you get it or not keep job searching and jump ship when you have something better. Maximize your own profit.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Get your spiff and get out (from working for Bob). gently caress guys like that.

You may actually want to speak with your corporate and explore options in other offices if your side of the project went well. If it did, they would probably want to keep you.

Especially if you have a line to the CEO.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!

Tots posted:

You're getting hosed

Find something else ASAP regardless of getting a raise. You don't want to work for a company like that. You can still use the experience as a feather in your cap in future interviews and explain why you left when you did. Any potential employer worth a drat will realize why you walked away.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Jordan7hm posted:

Get your spiff and get out (from working for Bob). gently caress guys like that.

You may actually want to speak with your corporate and explore options in other offices if your side of the project went well. If it did, they would probably want to keep you.

Especially if you have a line to the CEO.

I do have a line on the CEO, but the company is based out of fly over states and I don't really wanna work there. I am apparently used as an example of success for new trainees lmao.

I need some serious resume help though, what do you guys put on your sales resumes? can anyone recommend a service even though i want to get out of sales, im not sure how to descibe my positions. I did straight sales for like a year and a half and project management after that

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

Waroduce posted:

I do have a line on the CEO, but the company is based out of fly over states and I don't really wanna work there. I am apparently used as an example of success for new trainees lmao.

I need some serious resume help though, what do you guys put on your sales resumes? can anyone recommend a service even though i want to get out of sales, im not sure how to descibe my positions. I did straight sales for like a year and a half and project management after that

Paging @petyrr to drop some resume knowledge

Also read the negotiation thread and don't tell prospective employers your sob story

Tots fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Mar 21, 2016

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
My recommendation on your resume is to start compiling a spreadsheet of every drat thing you've accomplished with that company. This can be any big sale, accounts you've managed, any increased revenue in existing accounts, any performance numbers, ways you've optimized your route, accolades, awards, etc. use this to really understand what you did, what you enjoy, and what you want to do. The more numbers the better. Be very technical. If you're exploring fields outside your current one even somewhat average numbers can look great (because they don't drat know).

Then start joining groups and talking to recruiters on linked in and network like crazy. When you get interviews I think you should have that spreadsheet with you as a "brag book," and you should definitely bring it in front of your boss. Make it impossible for him not to see value in you.

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

We're using Concur and while it does have some weird quirks (can't have a comma in the comment field!), expense tracking does work pretty well, as does the integration with ERP. I don't have any experience with the competition (other than old-school SAP) but it got to be a pretty good deal for anyone stuck with emailing excel files around and what not. We still have to submit paper receipts but that's just a policy issue obviously.

I don't have PM, but you can email me at mobby.6kl at gmail if you want to talk in a bit more detail.

Concur is way better than the days of taping receipts to paper and then faxing them in, especially with the iphone app. I just photograph my receipts and then fill them out later when I do my reports. Apparently Concur just hired some maniac listed as "Concur Auditor 1" who flagged over 30 of my expenses, and I've never had a report kicked back in the years that I've been using it. Everyone at my company wants to murder this rear end in a top hat. This last month's expense report was over $3500, and I don't need this fuckhead holding up my money over trivial bullshit.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Waroduce posted:

If moving within your existing company isn't an option I'd still talk to the CEO if you can. Explain that it's not working out and you're planning to leave, ask for a reference. See what if anything they can do for you on the way out.

If he's worth anything he'll be supportive of the move. Losing good employees over bullshit is tough but part of business, especially sales. Keeping good relationships is valuable.

Just don't burn any bridges on your way out except for with Bob because gently caress that guy.

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

lord1234 posted:

Going through the interview process in a Sales role for the first time has me intimidated. I've done the standard googling of "Sales interview questions", but would love to hear what you guys use as some good standby's for weeding people out. I had a phone screen(which I passed) but had to think fast on my feet when asked "what do you see as the competitive landscape for <company>?", so any good questions you guys can suggest are great. The role in question is for Sales Engineer.

I'm late to respond to this, but here is what I do.

I'm in medical device, and unlike pharma, I don't have a list of set questions that I need to ask. My interviews "seem" unstructured and are very conversational, but that's because I'm sizing up the candidate and seeing how likable they are, how well they can tell a story, and how well they can communicate.

When it comes down to it, people buy from who they like. When a candidate presents their resume to me (and I have already seen it, as I get their resumes from recruiters and then do a phone interview before they get the chance to meet with me), I glance at it and push it aside. I don't care how many awards they won, etc., because that can be made up, and the numbers are not always indicative of talent. You may be a great salesperson, but someone else in your company finished at number one because they got a large corporate deal, or maybe their territory is larger, or whatever. There have been many people at my company who won "Rep of the Year" or were in the CEO Club who were gone the next year because they weren't good in the long run. It's like the athlete with the amazing rookie season who never becomes a star over his career.

The most important things that I look for are intelligence and quick-thinking. Just like on a sales call, someone will throw an objection at you. I want to see how quick you can overcome that objection without stumbling over your words or looking like a deer in headlights. Another telltale sign of intelligence for me is someone with a wise-rear end sense of humor, meaning, if I say something, and you can whip a witty retort back at me, I know that your brain works quickly, and that you can think fast on your feet.

Sales (at least on the higher-end where I am), is about being likable, having a good reputation and being able to tell a story. People who have the gift of gab can be trained well. Most of it can't be taught, though. Kind of like having rhythm; you have it or you don't. All of the people I know who do well in sales are naturally entertainers, not shy, able to tell a story at the bar and have everyone listen, etc.

When interviewing, do your research on the company, it's products, competition, etc. But above all, you're selling you as a likable person who can talk to anyone and communicate effectively, while not taking "no" for an answer, yet doing it in a respectful way.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The best salespeople I've met aren't always the best talkers. They're the ones who actually do what they say they'll do. The rookie with an amazing season who never repeats is almost always a great talker.

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

Jordan7hm posted:

The best salespeople I've met aren't always the best talkers. They're the ones who actually do what they say they'll do. The rookie with an amazing season who never repeats is almost always a great talker.

Doing what you'll say you're going to do is a given. All of the good salespeople I know are good talkers, and I'm not saying smooth/slick-talkers. Those people don't last, I hope you weren't conflating the two based on what I was saying.

e: It also depends on the level of sales we're talking about. When I was making $50k a year selling Yellow Pages back in 2000, there were "good" salespeople there who were making $75k plus. My best reps top out at over $300k. It's a different level as far as skill sets and abilities in this type of sale.

Count Freebasie fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Mar 22, 2016

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

In my industry where I'm essentially moving a commodity around I find that relationships and how well someone likes you can make or break the deal. My coworker controls about 1.5 million in business because he ran his own company for 30 years and has fostered relationships with operations managers and executives at companies who will deal with him and pay any price he asks due to the trust and reputation he's built with them.

Conversely about 8 months into my job as a rookie salesman I've managed to eke out a few hundred grand in business at razor thin margins while being pressured by auto industry suppliers to take their payment terms instead of going by my standard terms. I'm about ready to throw in the towel and concede defeat. Maybe I'm just not a good salesman or lack the charisma to be effective at my job. I definitely suck at the whole witty comeback thing and how well I respond to challenges depends more on anticipating the challenge and being prepared with a response than coming up with one immediately. I grossly underestimated how little it matters that you can present and explain things if you don't have the charisma to get a guy to talk to you and agree to a meeting in the first place.

Some of it is my company's fault because it's industrial packaging and they're a little known player in a saturated market but I'm going to have to accept a portion of the responsibility as well. It doesn't help that when I do get projects I'm forced to baby sit them and wrestle with my engineers to get timely delivery instead of focusing on filling the pipeline.

On the same point I've had a lot of people working on the auto dealership side of things hounding me to try and work for them at least part time due to how much knowledge about cars I've accumulated over the years. Even my boss asked me why I've never worked as a car salesman. If I wanted to I could probably get a job at a Toyota or GM dealer no problem. I just don't think I'd ever clear 50k per year on a good day. I make 60 right now with semi decent benefits. This is Canada so I can't see myself moving the kind of volumes a Los Angeles or Chicago dealership could.

The one good or bad thing about my situation is my employer has been reluctant to set any targets for me or pressure me to hit them. From their perspective they think I'm green and in a tough market where they bungled my training and haven't prepared me properly to win business. As a result I can probably keep my job for a while until I quit for another sales job in a more organized firm or leave sales entirely. Sometimes I wish I was that social frat boy in college- I could have used that experience to help my personality and network.

Kraftwerk fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Mar 22, 2016

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

Kraftwerk posted:

I grossly underestimated how little it matters that you can present and explain things if you don't have the charisma to get a guy to talk to you and agree to a meeting in the first place.

I don't know your sales ability, as I don't know you, but this right there is a very important point that most people don't get about sales. Tons of people I know say "I can do what you do, people like me, I'm really knowledgeable regarding "x"..."

You hit the nail directly on the head with that.

That being said, I always tell my new reps (and really, it applies to everything in life) "Fake it 'til you make it." Act confident, project that you belong there, and that that person needs to see you; they would be losing out if they didn't. Just practicing doing that will lead to success, and success breeds success. Personality goes a long way. Ever wonder why you see average looking guys with really attractive girls? It's not always the default "oh, he's got money." People (men and women) are attracted to confident people. If you don't have the confidence, you can build it. I used to tell people just getting into sales to practice confidence by saying "hi" to five strangers per day, and then see if you can start conversations (about anything) with five strangers per day. It's a simple exercise and will build your confidence and skills with rapport. No mater how important the person you're speaking to is, in your head, make them your equal. Strip away the power, titles, and prestige, and they're just people; no different than you or me.

Count Freebasie fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Mar 22, 2016

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

I think one of my problems is I can be a bit awkward or stiff. This is because with each interaction I'm feeling the pressure that I need to walk out of it with a certain objective achieved (a meeting, a closed deal, a date etc). This ...stress caused me to either appear bolder than usual or just plain awkward as I try to put on a facade that I think the customer wants to see. Inevitably I also fail to read my audience sometimes (although I'm better at it now) and talk about the wrong things or use the wrong words. There's no sense talking about inbound and outbound flows or ergonomic benefits to a Joe buyer who's primary concern is purchasing a cheaper version of exactly the same product he used before. Walking into a call sounding like a Rhodes scholar just alienates people and hurts my chances.

This job has taught me a lot of hard won lessons about what it means to sell and relate to people. I find it much much easier to look for a new job for example because I understand that almost every interaction is based on the same principles as sales. I also use linked in for lead generation know and bypass gatekeepers on my cold calls as a result. The rate at which get meetings has increased quite a bit.

But at the end of the day I have a very polarizing personality. I'm a very direct person which at times makes me seem abrasive and untactful. It's hard for me to discuss non essential topics like sports or the clients kid because I don't give a poo poo. My best sales calls have been with people I could relate to on a personal level who would have been friends with me in real life if I met them at a party. The need to appeal to wide audiences and get everyone to like me is both extremely tiring and taxing on my psyche. In spite of this I've succeeded in closing some deals but I don't think I'd ever top the board at any sales organization unless I found a way to become witty and more likeable to more people.

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

That is part of the trick to sales; it is acting, to a degree.

Where amateurs fail is that they try to be someone who they're not. For people who are good, it is being able to speak with everyone and connect with them on some level, even when you really don't like them or care for them. It is extremely taxing having to put on that front all day, but it's no worse than hanging out with the GF's friends who you can't stand and just playing nice while you're out.

Quick story: one of my reps is this guy who is basically a GQ cover model come to life. Very intelligent, likable, women throw themselves at him like I've never seen, he's got the BMW 7-series, etc. When I interviewed him, he was great, very likable, and modest, though by appearance you would assume he wouldn't be. On one of the first calls I accompanied him on, he started talking in a very stiff, "professional" manner, and the call didn't go well. He was so focused on coming off as a professional that I had to remind him that I hired the guy at the interview, not the "sales professional" I just saw.

Once he loosened up and started being himself, he was doing fine. That's why I believe some people are natural salespeople. He already had all of those likable qualities, but he was putting on some weird veneer that he thought would help, but in fact was a hindrance. I told him "I can teach you everything about our product and what we do, but I can't teach you how to sell."

People who do this for life are pretty much born to do it. Lots of people try it after college and may do it for a short while, but for those of us who have made it our careers, it's something that all of my peers who have been doing this for a while have come to do naturally. You can always improve upon your skill set, but if you feel that this isn't the right fit, and you don't like doing it, get out before you've been in it for so long that you're less marketable for other positions.

You can make a lot of money in sales, if you're good, but if you don't like it, it is a miserable job to have. I happen to be one of those people who lives to negotiate, interact with people, meet new people, network, etc. And the people I work with who are successful are all pretty much the same way, and we're all normal people. There are no Alec Baldwins from "Glengarry Glen Ross" at my company, because snakes like that are easy to spot and a bad reputation builds fast and carries far. They normally don't last long. I know many people in the industry outside of my company from rep level to CEO, and they are all pretty much normal people, albeit very intelligent ones who know how to get a message across and are very good at reading others and they are very good at being cognizant of what they say. People who like to speak their mind all of the time don't last long.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Count Freebasie posted:

There are no Alec Baldwins from "Glengarry Glen Ross" at my company, because snakes like that are easy to spot and a bad reputation builds fast and carries far. They normally don't last long.

I agree with everything you said, except this part. Alec Baldwins "Blake," or gently caress YOU, isn't a snake. Blake is the superstar that always performs, but you never see him actually work. He is Napoleon, a genius at what he does but he doesn't help or teach anyone on how to repeat his success. All you see is his massive ego and absurd numbers.

The snake is Sheldon Levine. He is the guy that bring in bad deals by being charmingly fake and acting as a "salesman."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

Snatch Duster posted:

I agree with everything you said, except this part. Alec Baldwins "Blake," or gently caress YOU, isn't a snake. Blake is the superstar that always performs, but you never see him actually work. He is Napoleon, a genius at what he does but he doesn't help or teach anyone on how to repeat his success. All you see is his massive ego and absurd numbers.

The snake is Sheldon Levine. He is the guy that bring in bad deals by being charmingly fake and acting as a "salesman."

I was using snake as a pejorative; more along the lines of a douchebag or fuckhead. I agree with your assessment of the characters. I meant only to imply that guys who are assholes like that don't last in the (at least my) industry. If your type of sales is like theirs, where you make your deal and move on to the next target, you may be able to get away with that, but if you are in a type of sale that requires relationship building and maintenance, and the ability to network well using your past customers as referrals, you get black-balled pretty fast, at least in what I do.

We have a few people like that at my company, but it's not a good position to be in. As a manager, sure, my main concern is my reps are hitting their numbers, otherwise I don't hit mine. But, people like that are riding only on their numbers, and when the time comes that they start slipping, we pull the trigger on people like that fast, and we do it with pleasure. I have a team that reports to me, and toxic people on my team (or any in the company) are like a cancer and just bring others down. If you're universally disliked at a company, the axiom "You're only as good as your last sale" will apply to you, fast. People like that will never be leaders, as their only concern is themselves and everyone is easily able to see it, so they are never groomed for management or advancement. They will eventually piss off the wrong person or burn the wrong customer, and then they become a liability, and I can normally find a good replacement for anyone on my team within a few months, if not less.

Count Freebasie fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Mar 22, 2016

• Locked thread