Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cathead
Jan 21, 2004

:getin::getin::getin:
CAN'T STOP WON'T STOP
:getin::getin::getin:

MARCH 2

NARYU LABYRINTH
MUSHIN TOWER FLOOR 8
WARLOCK

(also an extra character slot and what is likely the January balance patch)

cathead fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Feb 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

according to this game, i'm the rank 400 blade master on my server. and also the rank 17000th player overall. weighted clothing status = on

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

I'm legitimately having trouble keeping my gear updated with how fast these content patches are coming out

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Stormgale posted:

I'm legitimately having trouble keeping my gear updated with how fast these content patches are coming out

The good news is there is no new weapon upgrade for this patch, it will stop at True Pirate. Legendary weapons will start dropping in Naryu Labyrinth though, which are super-rare but powerful weapons that can end up being better than your hongmoon weapon when fully upgraded, but have ridiculous material and upgrade costs to get there (like, in the "thousands of gold" range from what I've heard).

You can also just sell the box they come in on the AH for tons of gold if you get lucky enough to get a drop though. Considering how much trouble people have keeping up with even the regular items I think that might be the better route for now.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

cathead posted:

The good news is there is no new weapon upgrade for this patch, it will stop at True Pirate. Legendary weapons will start dropping in Naryu Labyrinth though, which are super-rare but powerful weapons that can end up being better than your hongmoon weapon when fully upgraded, but have ridiculous material and upgrade costs to get there (like, in the "thousands of gold" range from what I've heard).

You can also just sell the box they come in on the AH for tons of gold if you get lucky enough to get a drop though. Considering how much trouble people have keeping up with even the regular items I think that might be the better route for now.

Accessories are the real thing, 15 moon stones + 150 soulstones

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Jesus loving Christ. I still need to get my Awakened Siren weapon and beat floor 7. :negative:

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

GlitchThief posted:

Jesus loving Christ. I still need to get my Awakened Siren weapon and beat floor 7. :negative:

You can do it! I mean honestly you don't even need to keep up that hard with gear I just hate being behind on 2 characters

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
If there's one thing I've figured out about this game so far it's that it is so alt-unfriendly it's absurd, haha

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I hear you. I don't have enough time to keep up on even one character. If we ever get the Soul Fighter class, I'm just gonna have to give up on being even remotely current with content.

UchihaHirou
Mar 8, 2007

Active Skill:
Solves all problems.
I have terrible alt-itis. I want one of each race, and would prefer to play the race-specific class for the race.

Currently have:
Gon Destroyer
Jin Assassin

Between Lyn Blade Dancer and Lyn Summoner, which one is more fun / different from Destroyer and Assassin? I'm leaning toward Summoner to have the cat and party play (but mostly the cat). Most likely going to make a Yun Warlock come March 2nd.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Yun can't be warlocks.

UchihaHirou
Mar 8, 2007

Active Skill:
Solves all problems.

mightygerm posted:

Yun can't be warlocks.

Are you sure? I was just going off the description in the OP. Not sure where to check.

quote:

Warlock - Edgy Summoners. They get a huge temporary demon pet that they can pull out for damage and support. They fight using charms and talismans. They also get a powerful party buff called Spiritualize, which makes your whole party go DARK SSJ with black outfits and wings and poo poo and empowers their left click abilities with special attributes. NCWest has said we’ll be getting this class “soon” after release. Jin, Yun, and Lyn can be Warlocks.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

GlitchThief posted:

I hear you. I don't have enough time to keep up on even one character. If we ever get the Soul Fighter class, I'm just gonna have to give up on being even remotely current with content.

By the time they do the steps to get caught up with be easy to overcome via high level gold etc.

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know
Welp I just met this giant rear end in a top hat while doing daily dungeon runs for white roses. I ran brightstone and joined a preexisting party but it was only one guy and everyone else was new. I assume he's been doing this all day just sitting at the door AFK while everyone clears and when the boss dies he would switch the minimum bid to 10g. No one took the bait but unfortunately, the pottery recipe dropped so he got a small chunk of gold.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

So for warlock is spiritualise the only game in town cause that CD refresh version seems pretty good

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

Stormgale posted:

So for warlock is spiritualise the only game in town cause that CD refresh version seems pretty good

They don't just get a cooldown refresh! They give a buff for your entire party that awakens one or more of their skills to super powered versions.

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!
I am excited to try out awakened flicker. Anyone happen to know what the awakened moves are like? Cause I'm curious if the awakened version of flicker may ironically be worse than that right tree flicker, which has insane attack speed but no aoe.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Velveteen posted:

They don't just get a cooldown refresh! They give a buff for your entire party that awakens one or more of their skills to super powered versions.

There's 2 versions, 1 with CD refresh + awaken 1 with 3 cd refreshes in 5 seconds

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

UchihaHirou posted:

Are you sure? I was just going off the description in the OP. Not sure where to check.

I was actually about to fix this. Sorry for being wrong. :smith:

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

This game is severely lacking in hats. My head feels so empty. Costumes are cool and all but I need hats.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
So regarding the Summoner Doom'n'Bloom and cat taunt changes, is there any news about if the Korean version where that's supposedly normal behavior if it's planned on being changed ever or is it just a nerf we'll have to deal with?

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008

Hyper Inferno posted:

So regarding the Summoner Doom'n'Bloom and cat taunt changes, is there any news about if the Korean version where that's supposedly normal behavior if it's planned on being changed ever or is it just a nerf we'll have to deal with?

It was in their patch notes and was an intended change (nerf)

Penis Vanguard
Mar 5, 2014

Anarkii posted:

It was in their patch notes and was an intended change (nerf)

Where was it in the patch notes? I do not see anything on Doom'n'Bloom or the cat taunt in the Rising Waters patch notes, which was when the nerf was introduced.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Penis Vanguard posted:

Where was it in the patch notes? I do not see anything on Doom'n'Bloom or the cat taunt in the Rising Waters patch notes, which was when the nerf was introduced.

The entire problem was that it was actually in the Korean notes for that patch, but not in the translated ones for Rising Waters we got (and weirdly, not on Freedomplay's fan-translated notes either). Babbletr0n confirmed yesterday that they screwed up and missed that and the changes were actually intended.

We discovered it because a guy in the summoner forums on dojo posted the Chinese notes and brought up the fact that it may have been intended. Then I decided to go digging through the Korean notes with Google Translate (that was fun) to see if anything matched up. Sure enough, I tracked down the December patch notes (i.e. the balance patch we got) and there they were.

It kinda sucks, but speaking as a Summoner, solo PvE is so ridiculously easy for us I'm not surprised at all that we took some nerfs for it.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Velveteen posted:

This game is severely lacking in hats. My head feels so empty. Costumes are cool and all but I need hats.

Yeah, Junghado's hat is a good start but I need more. How am I expected to accessorize with all my costumes when I don't have any accessories?!

Krilion
Nov 24, 2015

I honestly didn't even notice a nerf.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
So, what's the goon server/faction atm?

Everyman
Jun 4, 2009

bonds0097 posted:

So, what's the goon server/faction atm?

There's several in the OP. I can at least attest to the fact that Good Jobbu (blue on Mushin) is always near capacity.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

so far i've gone up against like 30 summoners as a blade master and beaten maybe 2. and i've been swapping my tactics and my talents and it doesn't seem to do anything. nowadays i just alt tab and look at funny pictures on the internet whenever i get queued up against a summoner

meanwhile i've beaten maybe 20 of the 25 force masters i've gone up against. i barely have to try because the matchup is so easy for me.

i sincerely hope the level 50 patch actually makes these matchups a lot more balanced because this isn't really okay. i don't feel like i'm playing a fighting game, i feel like i'm playing rock paper scissors

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Feb 20, 2016

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

Minorkos posted:

so far i've gone up against like 30 summoners as a blade master and beaten maybe 2. and i've been swapping my tactics and my talents and it doesn't seem to do anything. nowadays i just alt tab and look at funny pictures on the internet whenever i get queued up against a summoner

meanwhile i've beaten maybe 20 of the 25 force masters i've gone up against. i barely have to try because the matchup is so easy for me.

i sincerely hope the level 50 patch actually makes these matchups a lot more balanced because this isn't really okay. i don't feel like i'm playing a fighting game, i feel like i'm playing rock paper scissors

With warlock (even at 45 patch which is weird) you'll see the hard counter for Summoners emerge (well, Destroyer does that too, but destroyer beats EVERYTHING at the moment)

The 50 patch is really what all these balance patches we're getting are intended for, so I do think we'll see a much more 'balanced' meta emerge when that patch drops

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

HapiMerchant posted:

With warlock (even at 45 patch which is weird) you'll see the hard counter for Summoners emerge (well, Destroyer does that too, but destroyer beats EVERYTHING at the moment)

The 50 patch is really what all these balance patches we're getting are intended for, so I do think we'll see a much more 'balanced' meta emerge when that patch drops

How are warlocks a hard counter to summoner? I could understand the healing maybe but that's precisely what got nerfed fairly significantly in the patch we already have, and what made them so powerful before.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

HapiMerchant posted:

having warlocks stomp summoners doesn't exactly help the issue of me being unable to touch summoners. i just went up against one. i stunned him, he went invisible, then his cat grabbed me through my block and they did 50% of my hp. doesn't help that the ncsoft figured it isn't necessary to separate different levels in the matchmaking so i can't actually spec into grab removal without losing my own combo

this game's pvp is broken to the point that it feels like i'm playing an alpha version of the game

edit: after a few times i lose to summoners and assassins, the game queues me up against a few force masters and i can farm them to go back to where i was. a lot of them seem to go afk as soon as the match starts too.

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Feb 20, 2016

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Minorkos posted:

having warlocks stomp summoners doesn't exactly help the issue of me being unable to touch summoners. i just went up against one. i stunned him, he went invisible, then his cat grabbed me through my block and they did 50% of my hp. doesn't help that the ncsoft figured it isn't necessary to separate different levels in the matchmaking so i can't actually spec into grab removal without losing my own combo

this game's pvp is broken to the point that it feels like i'm playing an alpha version of the game

edit: after a few times i lose to summoners and assassins, the game queues me up against a few force masters. a lot of them seem to go afk as soon as the match starts too.

The PvP is not broken at all. The core of the issue right now is that we're on 45 cap on a patch balanced for 50 cap. This ends up throwing the balance off somewhat as some classes need skillpoints and hongmoon skills they can't get yet to keep up with some of the other classes. Blade Masters are especially hurt by this, but they also stand to gain the most once we're at 50. Because UI and system changes are tied to the balance changes in the patches, it's not feasible to go back to 45cap balance, as that would set us back 2 years or so and we'd lose a lot of the functionality the game has today. It's a catch-22 and considering we're looking to be on 50 less than 4 months after release, I think it's a tradeoff people can deal with.

It's also inadvisable to PvP seriously before the level cap. The game is balanced around PvPing at cap, and it's unlikely they'll ever put in too much work to tune under-cap matchmaking as it takes such little time to get there.

It's best to just tough it out and keep practicing. Learn the matchups, learn what the other classes are capable of and what you can do to handle that. There's a lot of little things buried in the skills like guard breaks and movement skill disables and stuff like that. Watch better players play and see how they handle different matchups. It's gonna be hard right now, especially as a BM, but when 50 gets here and you've already got that knowledge, you'll be able to put all those new skills to much more effective use. You're going to have to learn how to fight summoners at some point anyway, not like 50 magically makes them stop doing their usual bullshit, just gives you the tools you need to keep up better.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

none of the poo poo you wrote addressed the fact that force masters are free rating and summoners are an insanely bad matchup

it's not like i'm especially bad or anything, i'm the 288th best bm on my server

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

FMs might be easy wins for you but they wreck my assassin like no other class can. They do a ton of damage and it's hard to get combos started when half my decoy stance skills are sealed.

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008
The argument that it's currently rock paper scissors is kinda true, but as cathead said the balance patch we have is for Level 50 +HM levels. That's the reason they haven't started Season 1 and we're still in preseason. Imagine doing level 60 PvP in WoW currently - of course the classes aren't balanced at that level anymore. 5 more levels, more skill points and access to all HM skills changes this. People kinda have confidence in the balance because koreans take their esport very seriously, and if this was not balanced in their current version, nobody would be playing arenas.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

What is the purpose of releasing a MMORPG known for its PvP and having broken PvP in it. why release this for the public consumption

I understand that they have to translate more of the amazing story for the level 50 patch, but couldn't they take the time to give everyone in arena PvP the same amount of skill points as a level 50 character? maybe even unlock the hongmoon abilities solely for arena. i don't know, i'm just spitballing here.

a lot of parts in the PvP are pretty awful disregarding balance issues. it seems like flicker hit detection is god drat awful against stealthed assassins. i can see my projectile clipping through their character to no effect. seems like i have to lead my target some unknown amount. i guess it would be however laggy the server is at that exact moment, though the devs have not provided a way to check my ping. then there's the fact that blade dancers seem to spend 80% of the match resisting everything i do, and there isn't no visual cue to let me know when they're resistant. maybe they should glow a bit when they're resisting? that would be nice because then i wouldn't have to take the 50 hours to level up and learn a blade dancer to find out how their abilities work. but these aren't real flaws, just game design philosophy i disagree with.

it's hard for me to justify coming back to this game when the fabled level 50 patch hits when it's a frustrating unfun mess right now. by then i'll have dark souls 3 and stuff to mess around with.

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Feb 20, 2016

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Minorkos posted:

What is the purpose of releasing a MMORPG known for its PvP and having broken PvP in it

Couldn't they take the time to give everyone in arena PvP the same amount of skill points as a level 50 character? maybe even unlock the hongmoon abilities solely for arena

right now it's hard for me to justify coming back to this game when the fabled level 50 patch hits when it's a frustrating unfun mess right now

Like I said, they had to make a choice based on the patche Korea is on and the release schedule they wanted. Sorry, but PvE is also a big part of the game and definitely a consideration for how they roll the game out. Having to do a bunch of custom stuff that would have to be specifically coded for (which requires them to go back and forth between the Korean devs and makes poo poo take even longer) is a lot more complicated than just rolling out the latest patch and accelerating everyone through the early content so we get caught up as quickly as possible without just straight up obsoleting a bunch of content right off the bat.

Sorry you're frustrated, but there's really nothing that can be done about it other than wait another month or so for 50 and do what you can in the meantime.

Minorkos posted:

then there's the fact that blade dancers seem to spend 80% of the match resisting everything i do, and there isn't no visual cue to let me know when they're resistant. maybe they should glow a bit when they're resisting? that would be nice because then i wouldn't have to take the 50 hours to level up and learn a blade dancer to find out how their abilities work. but these aren't real flaws, just game design philosophy i disagree with.

There are visual cues. If they have a blade circling around them they probably have iframes for 5 seconds (or 5 attacks). If they don't have their spin specced to deflect, they can trigger 2 seconds of iframes during their spin on a 36 sec cooldown. Their five-point strike (where they dash around a bunch) can be specced for iframes as well. Their Q/E (where they dash around you) also has iframes on it, though this applies to a number of other classes as well. And of course backdash, but every class has that.

By the way, I know this poo poo and my BD is a whopping lv7. It's not that loving hard to just do some research, talk to people, watch some videos, and understand how the classes work.

cathead fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Feb 20, 2016

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

I know about the parry vortex and q and e and stuff like that. It seems like they resist stuff besides that. like he can be in the middle of a combo and my entire five-strike gets resisted and i see no visual cue to that. maybe the netcode is loving with me and their q and e i-frames are getting stretched out like crazy or something i don't know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Minorkos posted:

I know about the parry vortex and q and e and stuff like that. It seems like they resist stuff besides that. like he can be in the middle of a combo and my entire five-strike gets resisted and i see no visual cue to that. maybe the netcode is loving with me and their q and e i-frames are getting stretched out like crazy or something i don't know

Air combos generally have 100% evade chance too, btw. You can still CC during them though.

• Locked thread