Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I'm imagining that this particular lead-in part of season lost some scenes to whatever the Jaha endgame is in editing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Xoidanor posted:

I'm imagining that this particular lead-in part of season lost some scenes to whatever the Jaha endgame is in editing.

Murphy's mentioned in the press release for episode 3 despite neither he nor Jaha appearing. I imagine there's quite a lot of other stuff in this early season that's been sitting on the floor of the editing bay, and might make some of the plotting feel less abrupt. I imagine we've also lost some Monty / mother material as well, which might have motivated "I'm going through some poo poo too!" outburst a little more specifically.

I know several posters have compared this season to the Vampire Diaries' third season, and though that could be very true -- I've not seen it -- what this season most reminds me of is Veronica Mars' ridiculously overplotted second season. While none of the choices that show did were entirely bad, the decision to do all those choices at once strained the gently caress out of every plot line and could make things feel strangely motivated. The show kept tugging you on forwards, because it had something it just had to show you Right Now, without really justifying a lot of what was going on.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Veronica Mars is sacred and you should be beaten.

Seriously though we are barely into this season and TVIV has thrown in the towel, gently caress you half wits.

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Feb 18, 2016

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Rocksicles posted:

Seriously though we are barely into this season and TVIV has thrown in the towel, gently caress you half wits.

I'm loving the season so far. :shobon:

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

VagueRant posted:

Snak, I appreciate your effortposts.

But Bellamy's arc still bugs me.
please stop I cannot endure another Snak wall of text

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Any more than a paragraph is a rant, i don't read rants.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I can't tell if y'all are serious but he has some really good character insights and god forbid we discuss things in a discussion forum

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
He can write all he wants. Doesn't mean we gotta read it.

Twitter has ruined the art of the text wall.
Besides, i'm sort of joking, sort of.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Open Source Idiom posted:

I know several posters have compared this season to the Vampire Diaries' third season, and though that could be very true

TVD was an excellently plotted show with surprisingly capable protagonists and for the first two seasons subverted expectations of what was originally set up as Twilight: the show. Then the plots started running out of steam and the show got a supervillain that got so integrated into the main cast that he basically overshadowed any development going on outside of his plot lines. Then the show fell head first into endless reconfigurations of the main love triangle that was used to be in the background but never the main focus. The 100 is NOWHERE close to the drop of quality that TVD suffered from.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's still the best CW show by a colossal amount.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

hope and vaseline posted:

he has some really good character insights

Rocksicles posted:

It's still the best CW show by a colossal amount.

:agreed:

So does tonight's episode open with grounder slaughter 2.0? Taking bets, taking bets...

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

VagueRant posted:

But Bellamy's arc still bugs me. Because the way he went from bad boy stereotype to actual steadfast cool dude/leader/one of the best characters in season 2 was a big deal. Even at the start of this season he seemed like a responsible sergeant type back in the jeep scene. And now he's just being a big dumbdumb and it's sad.

The very first thing Bellamy did when he was outside of Kane's sights was to enter Ice Nation territory. He may be the most competent soldier among the Arkers but his decision making has always been a little "suspect".

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
To be fair, he came up under Genghis Clarke's School of Military Whoopassary

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Johnny Truant posted:

:agreed:

So does tonight's episode open with grounder slaughter 2.0? Taking bets, taking bets...

My bet is that PikeKru arrives to find the Grounders already dead at the hands of some other force who have guns. Then you have all the drama of getting the blame without turning Bellamy into a new Finn and they can go to find Indra who is in the hands of this new foe to clear them.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

PikeKru find the grounder army already converted by Jaha.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

VagueRant posted:

Snak, I appreciate your effortposts.

But Bellamy's arc still bugs me. Because the way he went from bad boy stereotype to actual steadfast cool dude/leader/one of the best characters in season 2 was a big deal. Even at the start of this season he seemed like a responsible sergeant type back in the jeep scene. And now he's just being a big dumbdumb and it's sad.

Oh thanks :)

Yeah it bugs me too. I hope they end up doing something interesting with this turn, because it's really lame and lovely.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Pike's going to end up in the Matrix for sure.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Rocksicles posted:

Pike's going to end up in the Matrix for sure.

No way, he's dead.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Rocksicles posted:

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

esperterra posted:

It feels like they're in a place where they could slow down and take their time with things, but instead they're just rushing through at the same clip as seasons one and two so the added characters and conflicts that didn't carry over from S2 feel out of place and rushed as gently caress.

Like if they had spent a couple more episodes on the Pike stuff or let us get to know Bellamy's GF more (or switched her out for a minor character from seasons past so we have a small connection already) this would all be well and good. Pike makes sense he's just moved so fast, and Bellamy makes sense but it seems flimsy because of how much is focused on that GF dying rather than the parts of him that make his decision work.

Almost feels like they're speeding past this stuff to leave more room for the City of Light story, or hurrying to split the arkers into two factions or whatever so they can get on to that bit already.

To be fair, people here are focussing on the gf dying a lot more than the show did.
You see the GF, She gets stab, she makes a call and then she dies. The end, she's never brought up again. Bellamy doesnt even mention her when talking to Pike.
You guys are literally making this poo poo up.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The sad thing is that there are so many good ideas going on with the story. But it's all being ridiculously rushed. The Ice Queen was introduced and killed in essentially the same episode after being seemingly hyped up to be a real factor. The Clarke poisoning plan was a joke with how fast it came and went. The 13th clan dynamic would have been so cool if it weren't just introduced and undone in ONE EPISODE. And soon they need to drop the whole AI plot nightmare on top of an already existing plot mess.

Its funny..

Season 1 and Season 2, goons just loved the fact that things went sour like this.
But ow that its season 3, its all about crying how the show's going downhill. Like with virtually any thread about any show.

For what its worth, I still think the show is awesome. It doesn't feel any more rushed than the other seasons and once again, characters pay for their stupidity.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Troposphere posted:

a lot of people on tumblr are calling the writers racist for having the two poc men (beside Lincoln and Jaha I guess) be the ones to be racist against grounders haha

Don't you know? Only white people can be racist. Or so I'm often told anyways. :shrug:

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
Minor spoilers:

http://nerdist.com/the-100-creator-digs-into-bellamys-dark-evolution/

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Dalael posted:

Its funny..

Season 1 and Season 2, goons just loved the fact that things went sour like this.
But ow that its season 3, its all about crying how the show's going downhill. Like with virtually any thread about any show.

Time makes the heart grow fonder and all of that, but goons really go off the rails holding shows to standards that they have never actually met before, and then hate-watching despite the show having the same qualities and flaws that it always did.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Rocksicles posted:

Veronica Mars is okay, but it doesn't hold a candle to Buffy or Dawson's Creek. Unlike those shows and this one, Veronica Mars has a very "neat karmic package" aspect to it, where the others were about subverting genre expectations and life not being fair.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

:siren: S3 E5 Hakeldama

A new threat dashes Clarke's hope for peace; Raven is targeted; Murphy (Richard Harmon) orchestrates a dangerous con.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Snak posted:

Veronica Mars is okay, but it doesn't hold a candle to Buffy or Dawson's Creek. Unlike those shows and this one, Veronica Mars has a very "neat karmic package" aspect to it, where the others were about subverting genre expectations and life not being fair.

Hahahaha all credibility lost.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

Hahahaha all credibility lost.

Whatever. I have no nostalgia for the show and watched it for the first time in my mid 20s. It's a show about storytelling. It's not an accident that Dawson is obsessed with movies and that every other episode is a reference to famous film or storytelling technique. It definitely has lovely episodes, but you're comparing it Veronica Mars.

Here is what a "biker gang" looks like in Veronica Mars

fuckin lol.

edit: But since I'd rather do anything that prepare for class, more about Dawson:

I like Dawson's Creek because it's a show where the main character is obsessed with films and the stories they tell. He tries to tell his own stories and he basically has to struggle with his voice as an artist and what it's missing. He struggles to interpret the films that he watches, and he doesn't recognize how his flaws as a human color his attempts to make his own films. Through the course of the show, the dissonance between how the lives of characters in films unfold, compared to his own life, forms the basis of him maturing both as a person and an artist. Like in the 100, it's common for the characters in Dawson's Creek to express their frustration with their perception of the causes of their suffering. But it's never really an omnipotent "This is the writers talking through the character to preach about the way things are" but rather "this is how a person in this situation acts because of the lessons they've learned from the events of their life". I don't think I've made it a secret that this type of storytelling appeals to me. Veronica Mars does not scratch that itch for me.

Snak fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Feb 18, 2016

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Snak posted:

Veronica Mars is okay, but it doesn't hold a candle to Buffy or Dawson's Creek.
lol
Bob Morley is the dumbest name, I swear to god

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Snak posted:

Whatever. I have no nostalgia for the show and watched it for the first time in my mid 20s. It's a show about storytelling. It's not an accident that Dawson is obsessed with movies and that every other episode is a reference to famous film or storytelling technique. It definitely has lovely episodes, but you're comparing it Veronica Mars.

Here is what a "biker gang" looks like in Veronica Mars

fuckin lol.

edit: But since I'd rather do anything that prepare for class, more about Dawson:

I like Dawson's Creek because it's a show where the main character is obsessed with films and the stories they tell. He tries to tell his own stories and he basically has to struggle with his voice as an artist and what it's missing. He struggles to interpret the films that he watches, and he doesn't recognize how his flaws as a human color his attempts to make his own films. Through the course of the show, the dissonance between how the lives of characters in films unfold, compared to his own life, forms the basis of him maturing both as a person and an artist. Like in the 100, it's common for the characters in Dawson's Creek to express their frustration with their perception of the causes of their suffering. But it's never really an omnipotent "This is the writers talking through the character to preach about the way things are" but rather "this is how a person in this situation acts because of the lessons they've learned from the events of their life". I don't think I've made it a secret that this type of storytelling appeals to me. Veronica Mars does not scratch that itch for me.

I never compared it to VM, you're the only one holding up DC as come bastion of good story telling.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I didn't really think it was a problem for me to draw parallels between what I like about The 100 and what I like about Dawson's Creek while pointing out that Veronica Mars does not have those qualities.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

I preferred the shipper talk, tbh.

Kabby 4 lyfe

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

hollylolly posted:

Kabby 4 lyfe

Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your posting!

I'm hoping the two really self-destructive emotional/literal cripples find solace in each other.

...I am not going to figure out how to combine their names in a declaration of my giving a poo poo.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

hollylolly posted:

Kabby 4 lyfe

Harpsper #1

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

eh, i was a shipper for barry and patty on the flash

but mostly because patty is :swoon:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

enraged_camel posted:

eh, i was a shipper for barry and patty on the flash

but mostly because patty is :swoon:

I quit watching an ep or two back because I couldn't stand the fact that HE WOULDN'T loving TELL HER HE WAS THE FLASH GOD DAMNIT IT'S IRIS ALL OVER AGAIN WHAT A GARBAGE SHOW

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Soothing Vapors posted:

Bob Morley is the dumbest name, I swear to god

And 'Jamming' is really overrated

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Dalael posted:

To be fair, people here are focussing on the gf dying a lot more than the show did.
You see the GF, She gets stab, she makes a call and then she dies. The end, she's never brought up again. Bellamy doesnt even mention her when talking to Pike.
You guys are literally making this poo poo up.

He mentions to Pike, or it may have been Kane or Abby, it was someone anyway, that she's dead because of him telling her to stay and help with the missile system, or whatever they were trying to get up and running at the time.

I wasn't trying to say it was the singular focus of his going with Pike. I'm one of the people who thinks it makes perfect sense, just that the pacing was kind of whack and that the whole girlfriend thing (while not the crux of it all like some may think) got a fair bit of focus to draw some sympathy points for a character it's hard to care about, since we knew nothing about her beyond she was banging Bellamy and seemed good with tech.

Bellamy has a lot of reasons for going with Pike. Some to do with his own feelings about grounders, some to do with feeling betrayed by one of the grounders he thought be could trust, because of his dead gifriend, because of all the people who died in the mountain and-- most importantly, in my opinion-- Bellamy is a soldier and when he's too emotional or doesn't know what to do it's very easy for him to fall in line behind someone who seems to have a plan and some strong conviction.

e: went back to check since it was bothering me, and yeah it's Kane and Abby he's talking to about how it's his fault 49 people he was protecting died, when he goes to turn in his guard uniform, and when Kane tries to reassure him it's not his fault he shifts the focus to how Gina only died because he told her to stay there.

So yeah, Bellamy himself wasn't playing it up as the sole reason like some people (or other people think they) assume. But it would be silly to pretend the show didn't include her in that to help show the event breaking Bellamy down enough to go with Pike. The issue is I think he could have easily gone with Pike even if Gina never existed and it still all happened the same way. And it would have been more emotional a thing if Gina had been a character we knew or cared about.

esperterra fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Feb 18, 2016

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
I think regardless it's still disappointing to me that they cut some corners in rushing to get there. They kinda still did it with Finn and Lexa peacing out during the Mt. Weather siege but the payoff they can usually deliver on, so I'm hoping they can do it again. But that doesn't mean I should forgive them or not really like them playing a bit fast and loose cause they need to rush through the plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Sober posted:

I think regardless it's still disappointing to me that they cut some corners in rushing to get there. They kinda still did it with Finn and Lexa peacing out during the Mt. Weather siege but the payoff they can usually deliver on, so I'm hoping they can do it again. But that doesn't mean I should forgive them or not really like them playing a bit fast and loose cause they need to rush through the plot.

Yeah, it's not like the show has ever taken time with much of anything. It likes to chew through plot and while it can be a weakness at times, the speed at which the story moves is one of its biggest strengths as well.

Whether they rushed to get the pieces into place or not, I'm feeling pretty confident the payoff will be good. So why complain?

I mean, as great as this show is and how much better it can be and has been, it's still a show on the CW. I expect it to falter from time to time. Even some of the very best shows have their missteps.

• Locked thread