Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spideycloned
Aug 5, 2004

Starfleet Dental

In Dear Leader, we trust.
As someone who played until around 23 when ARR first launched, then quit, what's changed? Quit last time due to life stuff, but wanted to get back into it for a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

seiferguy posted:

Try to get up to i170 as soon as you can so you can run Gordias (a good way to do this is to get your Anima weapon through phase 2 to i200). DGKK just ran one person through A1-A4 yesterday, and if everyone but you refuses loot, you can boost your gear to a reasonable level that way.

Ok cool. I'm not 60 yet but I'm pushing it so I'm trying to get my ducks in a row.

EDIT: I can trade in my zeta to shortcut the new relic quest to a certain point, right?

Levantine fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Feb 18, 2016

petcarcharodon
Jun 25, 2013

Thundarr posted:

I kind of hope that Zurvan and Goddess in 3.3 and 3.4 get different mixes of the FF6 fierce battle theme if only so their birds don't all share the same music.

I'd assume they'd play the music for the second half of their respective fights.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Spideycloned posted:

As someone who played until around 23 when ARR first launched, then quit, what's changed? Quit last time due to life stuff, but wanted to get back into it for a long time.

Things you'd notice at your level would be a shitload of various small but appreciable quality of life improvements, faster experience, and more diverse options for good experience. (At launch it was basically quests and fates or bust. They've massively buffed dungeon experience and added daily dungeon roulettes which give a shitload of bonus experience at the end, plus a challenge log with weekly goals like "do 5 dungeons" which also fork over good amounts of experience.)

Plus, ya know, various content additions and job balancing, but the former is mostly at 50+ so it'd be new to you anyway. And for the latter unless you have a very good memory, you'll probably be relearning your job mechanics more or less from scratch after 1.5 years regardless of whether anything's changed in the meantime.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Spideycloned posted:

Its still the same game as it was then with massive quality of life improvements and hundreds of hours of content ahead of you.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Levantine posted:

Ok cool. I'm not 60 yet but I'm pushing it so I'm trying to get my ducks in a row.

EDIT: I can trade in my zeta to shortcut the new relic quest to a certain point, right?

Basically you trade in your zeta to get the weapon. It saves a bunch of time that would otherwise be spent braindead mashing fate mobs until you get 18 atma equivalent drops.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Kwyndig posted:

Basically you trade in your zeta to get the weapon. It saves a bunch of time that would otherwise be spent braindead mashing fate mobs until you get 18 atma equivalent drops.

Sweet, that's what I'll do then.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
So if I want to master a crafting class or two, should I cross the rest of them? And if so, in what order should I go?

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

The biggest change for somebody at lv23 who last played 2.0 is the addition of duty roulettes. At first there's Leveling Duty Roulette which groups you with three other players and throws you into a dungeon all of you have available. When you complete this you also get a pile of bonus exp based on the difference between your level and the level of the content you just did. It's basically so when you wind up doing Satasha you'll get about the same exp as a higher level dungeon where the mobs give more exp. It sure beats just queueing for the highest level dungeon you have available to level a class from the 2.0 days! They're also quicker now since when you get synced down you can get synced with HQ gear instead of NQ stuff like in the 2.x days. Doing this roulette is the best way to level, then just doing the highest level dungeon. Dungeon mobs give a lot of exp and fate grinding in Quarrymill or so is long since dead.

There's also a roulette for guildhests but completing that just gives something like 3% exp to your next level. The rest of the roulettes (lv50, lv60, main scenario, trials, and expert) won't unlock until lv50/60.

There's probably other big changes since 2.0 that would be immediately obvious but I can't think of any others right now.

e: Forgot to mention you get the bonus exp from roulettes the first time you complete them that day. You can't just do the same one over and over again for the bonus exp until it resets the next day.

Scrublord Prime fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Feb 18, 2016

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Check the content unlock guide, there is a bunch of stuff available before 23 now that will be a huge help to you (retainer Ventures, challenge log, etc).

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Talmonis posted:

So if I want to master a crafting class or two, should I cross the rest of them? And if so, in what order should I go?

The first 2 steps are all of them up to 15, then Culinarian to 37.

I don't know after that. Weaver I think is the most valuable?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Talmonis posted:

generally speaking take all crafting classes to 15 first for your base crossclasses, then take Cul to 37 for hasty touch II, carpenter to 50 for byregot's blessing, and weaver to 50 for careful synthesis II. After that it's pretty much whatever order you want, but I'd say the next most useful 50 skill is comfort zone from alc followed by innovation from GSM. After that the rest don't really matter.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Talmonis posted:

The quick and key cross class skills you get at lv15 from the crafters so that should be the first goal. The next goal is Culinarian to lv36 37 to get Hasty Touch 2 (+30% success rate over +20% for like 4 more CP) which synergizes well with their lv15 ability, Hasty Touch (50% chance of improving quality for 0 CP, up to 80% with HT2). The other crafting classes give poo poo for their lv36 ability. After that Carpenter's lv50 skill is amazing (Byregot's Blessing, converts Inner Quiet stacks into a huge quality boost, 90% success rate), then Weaver (Careful Synthesis 2, free 120% power synth move that succeeds 100% of the time. Completely obsoletes the normal synth move). After that it's go where your heart tells you~

If you're lv44 or so look into doing the Ixali daily quests. They're crafter quests that you can complete as any crafter and turn in as any other (read: Do with your best crafter, turn in with what you want to level). There's various penalties when crafting like having to wear lovely gloves, lower CP, or no cross class skills and you have to HQ all but the first tier of crafting but even if you fail all it costs is two shards or so, the mats are all free.

e: oops, I guess it's lv37 not 36!

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Levantine posted:

Sweet, that's what I'll do then.

Part 2 is super easy, too - it's running 10 dungeons in a row with said weapon equipped from Snowcloak to the Vault which gets you from i170 to 200. Part 3 on the other hand, is a real bitch. I'm still not done with it.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

seiferguy posted:

Part 2 is super easy, too - it's running 10 dungeons in a row with said weapon equipped from Snowcloak to the Vault which gets you from i170 to 200. Part 3 on the other hand, is a real bitch. I'm still not done with it.

Do you have to beat the HW story to start it or does it just require level 60? Like I said I'm closing in fast but I'm barely into the HW story.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Once you finish the HW main story final boss you should be able to go to Idylshire right after and start the lv60 relic quest. For example part of the relic is going to the final zone in the HW story so just being lv60 won't be enough.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
If your FC has a crafting materials merchant, they sell goods that can take you into the low 20s fairly cheaply and easily on all crafts. You can do similar by hanging out in each crafting guilds HQ but that caps out lower and has a lesser diversity of materials.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

There's even some mats that the vendors in the house don't sell but are sold by the vendor in the housing district like Mudstone. Also make sure to unlock all the beastman tribes as even at the first rank their vendors sell mats that are cheaper to buy than to craft/gather.

Really just googling "ff14 *crafting mat name*" and seeing if anybody sells it can save a ton of cash. If it's a beastman vendor that requires some ranks you could probably ask somebody in your FC to buy you a stack instead of dealing with MB markup.

e: Make sure to still check MB prices though, there'll always be idiots selling some stuff below crafting costs because ??? so take advantage of these suckers when you see it.

Scrublord Prime fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Feb 18, 2016

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The end of HW is a lot simpler than ARR anyway.

From 58 on you have a 4 man and a trial.

http://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/Main_Scenario_Quests

And HW has enough quests that you don't need to grind your first character though, I think?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Honestly you don't need Byregot's Blessing any more, since every class gets Brow at 51 which is slightly more restrictive in its use but otherwise better in almost every way.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Kwyndig posted:

Honestly you don't need Byregot's Blessing any more, since every class gets Brow at 51 which is slightly more restrictive in its use but otherwise better in almost every way.

This is a very bad post.

Byregot's Brow starts at 150% but only gives a 10% for each IQ stack, and requires a good / excellent proc (which comes much less often for HW crafts). At 5 IQ stacks, it's equal, and at 6, Blessing beats out Brow. Plus Brow only has a 70% chance, so you need SH2 up for perfection.

Tortolia posted:

If your FC has a crafting materials merchant, they sell goods that can take you into the low 20s fairly cheaply and easily on all crafts. You can do similar by hanging out in each crafting guilds HQ but that caps out lower and has a lesser diversity of materials.

I think for the ARR non-Ixal tribes, all the crafting mats can be obtained at neutral rank. All the leveling up just gets you more dyes / mounts / minions.

seiferguy fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Feb 18, 2016

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Doesn't Blessing vs Brow depends on your IQ stack? Blessing is 100 + 20 per IQ and Brow is 150 + 10 per IQ: 4 or fewer is Brow and 6 or more is Blessing. I'm not a lv60 crafter though so if there's a trick to Brow I don't know it.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Man the number of times I've had Blessing fail is quite large, so I just assume you're going to have SH2 up anyway.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Scrublord Prime posted:

Doesn't Blessing vs Brow depends on your IQ stack? Blessing is 100 + 20 per IQ and Brow is 150 + 10 per IQ: 4 or fewer is Brow and 6 or more is Blessing. I'm not a lv60 crafter though so if there's a trick to Brow I don't know it.

Yeah, but the thing is, once you hit 53, you get precise touch that ups your inner quiet stack by an additional stack on a good / excellent proc. So if you're sitting at 5 or less IQ stacks, you've probably gotten screwed badly by RNG with 80% hasty touches and your craft won't do very well anyway.

Kwyndig posted:

Man the number of times I've had Blessing fail is quite large, so I just assume you're going to have SH2 up anyway.

Well yeah, I don't play with fire either. Generally when I'm ready to use BB, I pop up SH1 because after that I'm going to be doing my standard / hand of synthesis to finish the craft.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Scrublord Prime posted:

The problem is that Brow requires a good/excellent proc, which is unreliable. Also if you only have 4 IQ stacks you're probably not going to be HQing it no matter what you use.

Kettlepip
Jun 23, 2009

Skaw posted:

Like making Ala Mhigan characters suddenly have a gaelic accent.

Nope. A Gaelic accent (if there was such a thing, but there isn't really) would be Scottish or Irish. They changed Ala Mihgans to - very specially - have Yorkshire accents and consequently (or likely by design) they all sound like Sean Bean. Thematically, it actually makes more sense than tough Northern folk having a posh Southern-softie home counties English accent like the 'old' Illberd VA.

:eng101:

Kettlepip fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Feb 18, 2016

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:
Every time I read about crafting I am reminded why I don't do crafting.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Luminous Cow posted:

It's actually pretty easy, really. Everything below 1 star is pretty easily macroable, and you can set up a macro to do some of the 1 star crafts pretty reliably as well. The hard part with crafting is the tedium and at the very high ends it takes some work.

If nothing else you should unlock your crafting/gathering classes and do your GC turn ins. The turn ins are almost always dirt cheap either on the MB or from a vendor and it's a bunch of company seals/experience. Being able to repair your own gear or throw together quick stuff for leveling is super nice.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Levantine posted:

Oh, good point, my bad for assuming he was on Excal (be on Excal, Sonic).

The goons on Hyperion have been so good to me. I'd kinda feel like a dick. Plus I dunno, it's goin. Not as fast as the dude who hit 60 and cleared endgame poo poo in 2 days, but goin.

I listened and ordered HW though. Hoping to get through the rest of MSQ and have Leviathan pony by the time it gets here.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Luminous Cow posted:

Repairing your poo poo to 200% anywhere and anytime you want owns.

Being able to easily and instantly gear any class you're leveling owns.

Making gear for your friends and cute newbies owns too.

Farming red scrips once all your classes are at 60 does not own, but it's not like you have to do it anyway.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Edit: Quote is not edit

brennon
Sep 15, 2004

FaintlyQuaint posted:

Link.

Nice to have that confirmed, I guess.

I hate this, a lot.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

fount of knowledge posted:

Farming red scrips once all your classes are at 60 does not own, but it's not like you have to do it anyway.

These are all good reasons to get crafting classes to 50. Beyond 50 though...

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Ah right, forgot about the Good+ restriction of Brow. I thought I had missed something good about it!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

fount of knowledge posted:

Red scrips aren't too bad either. Just keep your eye on it until you've got something that is at 45+ per at the lowest level, set up a macro, and crank out 9-10 depending on how reliably you can hit the high tier. Thanks to relics, a lot of mats for level 60 crafts are dirt cheap on the marketboard or you'll have an abundance of your own if you're doing any maps.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Unfortunately, a lot of people pick DPS classes because they feel it's low responsibility, that they can slack off and nobody will even notice, let alone call them out on it. The trick is to treat DPS exactly the way they want to be treated, which is as useless, replaceable peons that nobody would notice if they were missing. It's a low responsibility tool that's easily replaceable, so don't worry about them getting offended, and if they continue to mouth off then just get a new one.

(emphasis mine)

brennon
Sep 15, 2004

Technogeek posted:

Unfortunately, a lot of people pick DPS classes because they feel it's low responsibility, that they can slack off and nobody will even notice, let alone call them out on it. The trick is to treat DPS exactly the way they want to be treated, which is as useless, replaceable peons that nobody would notice if they were missing. It's a low responsibility tool that's easily replaceable, so don't worry about them getting offended, and if they continue to mouth off then just get a new one.

(emphasis mine)

Fully agreed, though. Death to the DPS parasites and their continual resistance to the addition of DPS meters.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Healer gear lookin good.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I never paid attention to endgame crafting when the cap was 50. Now that it's 60, are you still supposed to grind away at 1-star, 2-star, etc level 50 recipes or does that stuff not matter anymore? I got a blacksmith to 50 and then never did any of the quests I unlocked so I have no idea what comes next.

Technogeek posted:

(emphasis mine)

It reminds me of a brayflox I did in LLDR the other day where both of the DPS died (I was one of them—healer's fault I swear) and the tank was actually doing negative damage to the boss because he couldn't keep him out of the vomit pools long enough to whittle down his health.

I was a bard and I was even actually casting mage ballad so the healer could rez. But alas

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Feb 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

The HW stuff pretty much sidesteps those recipes entirely. Some of them are still worth doing for glamour, but you can easily do those later once you hit higher levels and the requirements become trivial.

Edit: Also you had a bad tank.

• Locked thread