Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
if they have proof he was a ringleader then gently caress him

if he was saying poo poo like "the people here say you should do x and I agree!" well, Alex Jones and guys like him are proper hosed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Jumpingmanjim posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xOB5sXvxcg&t=108s

Need something like this except with the Bundys

Clicked thinking it would be https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yk_MIxu-3q8

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
I can't see any particularly compelling reasons for alex jones's continuing freedom

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
my last reply in here was the 9000th reply and my 420th of the thread

:snoop:

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

I can't see any particularly compelling reasons for alex jones's continuing freedom

comedy

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

I'm interested to see how that plays out, because where does your first amendment rights to journalism end, and being found guilty of inciting violence against police and civilians begin?

If you're leading an armed insurrection but holding a camera your "lol I'm just a journalist" defense seems flimsy as gently caress.

That's why I said "legitimate journalist" which I guess is what the court case will have to decide? I don't know, I assume this has come up in the past and there is some kind of legal definition of what is considered a journalists?

I will be interested to see how this ends up, it's been fascinating from the start.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

The funniest part would be the government could straight up arrest Alex Jones for fake charges and no one would believe him.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

The funniest part would be the government could straight up arrest Alex Jones for fake charges and no one would believe him.

or they could just arrest him on real charges since he's literally a professional liar

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

The boy who cried 'oppression'

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

The only thing that can make this worse is if the Bundys haven't learned some humility and sense and try to be their own lawyers. That said, we haven't even gotten to the fines yet for the destruction of the wildlife refuge, which will probably wipe out any finances or land they might have. These idiots have literally destroyed their own lives and their families as well.

Bundy's been subject to tons of fines forever, and his primary income is based on selling non-FDA-compliant beef raised illegally on government land. The other day I asked how come they haven't frozen all his accounts ages ago, and the only answer I can concoct is that he's operating completely on cash transactions, and the cash is in safes surrounded by guards. (A recent court document confirms he sells his nasty beef straight out of freezers on his ranch. And what Bundy beef customer would want a paper trail anyhow?)

So, I assume the only reason he has had property at any time in the last 10 years is because he's guarding it with armed force. The question then is whether that'll persist when he's in jail. What if the various militia camps on his land decide to stay put? Driving them out sounds orders of magnitude more dangerous than retaking the MNWR, and it would appear to be the feds initiating the conflict. Might they even continue harassing local BLM workers in the name of whatever symbolic value Burns Park has to the movement? A scary business.

McNerd has issued a correction as of 19:04 on Feb 18, 2016

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Breaking news from the D&D thread: LaVoy Finnicum was murdered! by ghosts! :iia:

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
The only chance they have at this point is probably a Presidential pardon. Which isn't too far off if one of those shitshows running gets in somehow.

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

Angela Christine posted:

Breaking news from the D&D thread: LaVoy Finnicum was murdered! by ghosts! :iia:

well they were camping on an old indian burial ground

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Aren't the charges from today all about the 2014 hullabaloo? The Feds seem to take their sweet time so I wouldn't be surprised if the charges for this fresh crop of yahoos takes a while.

Of course, some guys will catch charges for both debacles.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
Oregon Occupier Countersues For $666 Billion, Citing 'Works Of The Devil'
http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/02/18/467204403/oregon-occupier-countersues-for-666-billion-citing-works-of-the-devil

Six hundred and sixty six billion dollars
*raises pinky to corner of mouth.*

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Master Shake needs a steady job since ATHF is off the air?

e: poo poo, that's Levin.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

The Sphinxster posted:

Aren't the charges from today all about the 2014 hullabaloo? The Feds seem to take their sweet time so I wouldn't be surprised if the charges for this fresh crop of yahoos takes a while.

Of course, some guys will catch charges for both debacles.

Yes, they are. I think the ACLU is defending Pete for his activity in Burns. The indictment handed down yesterday is for the 2014 standoff.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Angela Christine posted:

I loving called it

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I've never heard of anything bad happening from desecrating an ancient Indian burial ground, I'm sure that things will work out just fine for these guys. Juuuuuust fine and dandy.

Blackula Vs. Tarantula
Jul 6, 2005

😤I am NOT Captain_Redbeard🧔

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

That's why I said "legitimate journalist" which I guess is what the court case will have to decide? I don't know, I assume this has come up in the past and there is some kind of legal definition of what is considered a journalists?

I will be interested to see how this ends up, it's been fascinating from the start.

Journalists who commit crimes in order to do their job can be arrested and tried just like anyone else. In order for them to be protected by freedom of the press they have to prove that their story served the public good in a way that justifies their crimes.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

McNerd posted:

Bundy's been subject to tons of fines forever, and his primary income is based on selling non-FDA-compliant beef raised illegally on government land. The other day I asked how come they haven't frozen all his accounts ages ago, and the only answer I can concoct is that he's operating completely on cash transactions, and the cash is in safes surrounded by guards. (A recent court document confirms he sells his nasty beef straight out of freezers on his ranch. And what Bundy beef customer would want a paper trail anyhow?)

So, I assume the only reason he has had property at any time in the last 10 years is because he's guarding it with armed force. The question then is whether that'll persist when he's in jail. What if the various militia camps on his land decide to stay put? Driving them out sounds orders of magnitude more dangerous than retaking the MNWR, and it would appear to be the feds initiating the conflict. Might they even continue harassing local BLM workers in the name of whatever symbolic value Burns Park has to the movement? A scary business.

He's not guarding it with armed force now. Not to mention that if it came down to it, the government could just wait out the armed force as well. Not like they're going to get anywhere with Bundy on trial. In theory, they could subpoena everybody on the ranch to testify and then arrest them as soon as they're away from the land. It's not like these sovcits are that smart.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

[trigger warning: gawker]
Hilarious lawsuit, claiming $666,666,666,666.66 in damages because devil

Apparently the IMF (for some reason) can repossess the entire northwest territories because we aren't paying our debts because reasons!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

also our form of government is "constitutional" apparently and the entire national debt is because of the bar association

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Shawna Cox has a little stache going on there.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

VikingSkull posted:

if they have proof he was a ringleader then gently caress him

if he was saying poo poo like "the people here say you should do x and I agree!" well, Alex Jones and guys like him are proper hosed
Santilli's rear end belongs to the Feds, from the Indictment:

USA v. Bundys, Payne, and Santilli posted:

SANTILLI was a leader and organizer of the conspiracy who, among other things: recruited Followers using the internet and other facilities in interstate commerce; led an assault on federal officers; threatened federal law enforcement officers; and participated in the extortion of federal law enforcement officers.

SANTILLI used threats to encourage and incite listeners to travel to Bundy Ranch for unlawful purposes, telling listeners, among other things, that: "if this is not the issue right now where we stand and fight to the absolute death there is no other option; the federal government must get out of the State of Nevada . . . if they don't want to be peaceful it is by their choice. . . I'm calling on all Americans anywhere in the vicinity of Clark County, Nevada . . . if you're in Nevada and can legally carry, get weapons out there, o.k. . . . we are going to stand and fight in Clark County, Nevada . . . they will leave or else."

On April 9, 2014 SANTILLI and A. BUNDY assaulted federal officers by, among other things: intercepting and blocking a convoy of BLM vehicles engaged in impoundment operations; colliding an ATV into a truck in the convoy in an attempt to stall the truck; attempting to forcibly gain entrance to the stalled truck; attempting to throw a rock at law enforcement officers protecting the convoy; threatening physical harm to law enforcement officers while they were protecting the truck and civilian passengers inside; and causing physical contact with an officer while the officer was engaged in protecting the truck and the civilian passengers inside.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Rebel Blob posted:

loooooooooooool

e- ooooh that's right, he was one of the chucklefucks that ran that roadblock in Nevada, I forgot he was at that incident

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
LOL, Pete's going to BootyMax.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
loving lol at santilli crashing his atv into the truck and then attacking them with rocks like some kind of hillbilly roadwarrior

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Rebel Blob posted:

That is just the indictment from the Nevada standoff.

He has another one coming his way from the poo poo he pulled in Oregon.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

McNerd posted:

Holy poo poo.

The stuff about his cows being all kids of messed up is interesting. There's a PBS Nature episode titled Holy Cow about humanity's relationship with cows. Its thesis is that cows are really the only animal that made sense for domestication by early humans, largely because they're curious and docile, along with a bunch of other factors. So is Cliven such a fuckup that he wrecked the peaceful nature of an animal we've been codependent with for thousands of years?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Apparently the IMF (for some reason) can repossess the entire northwest territories because we aren't paying our debts because reasons!

Oh my god. I'm getting a semi just thinking about what a circus the trials are going to be. I bet one of them calls God as a witness.

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

The utterly insane poo poo these people vomit up as "truth" is starting to make me wonder if they have any understanding of any aspect of reality whatsoever. Like gravity, or tableware, or yarn. Do they understand yarn?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Loden Taylor posted:

The utterly insane poo poo these people vomit up as "truth" is starting to make me wonder if they have any understanding of any aspect of reality whatsoever. Like gravity, or tableware, or yarn. Do they understand yarn?

Uhh I think you mean the devil's hairballs :tinfoil:

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Hypothetically let's say she gets her six hundred and sixty six billion six hundred and sixty six million six hundred and sixty six thousand six hundred and sixty six dollars and sixty six cents would the word six even mean anything to her anymore?

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
It's 616 anyway she hosed up

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

A Winner is Jew posted:

That is just the indictment from the Nevada standoff.

He has another one coming his way from the poo poo he pulled in Oregon.

Ammon and Ryan too. They're going to get six hundred and sixty six years.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

theultimo posted:

It's 616 anyway she hosed up

Not according to any 4 hours long youtube video I ever claim to have watched.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007
I hope everyone caught the note at the top. Paraphrased from memory, "The Court has directed this document be filed for the record, but otherwise we're just ignoring it. Please talk to your lawyer about how to correctly present whichever parts of this are actually supposed to be legal defenses."

The sad thing is, I found Cox's notice bizarrely coherent for a sovcit. There are entire sentences and maybe paragraphs that I could be fooled into thinking were written by an actual lawyer. And it was better received than for instance this Canadian classic:

Meads v Meads posted:

[26]           Mr. Meads stated that his birth certificate has an associated bond with large amounts of money that could easily discharge in full the claims advanced by Ms. Meads. He said this Court could order that payment. He then attempted to provide me with an envelope, presumably containing documents. Mr. Meads said the contents of the envelope had been “filed internationally”: a UCC filing, a Canadian filing, a commercial security agreement, an identity bond, “actual and constructive notices”, hold harmless and identity agreements, non-negotiable security agreements, an affidavit of his status, a copyright and trade-mark of his name contract, and definitions of the words used in those documents. “UCC” means the “Uniform Commercial Code”, which is U.S. commercial legislation.

[27]           I refused the envelope, and noted that if the envelope was abandoned then I would put those materials in the garbage.

McNerd has issued a correction as of 23:57 on Feb 18, 2016

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Since I'm on a Deaddpool kick after the movie I started reading some of the newer comics. They're not good but this part from a 2015 issue made me chuckle.

Should have sent Pool to Oregon.

Lowly
Aug 13, 2009

McNerd posted:

I hope everyone caught the note at the top. Paraphrased from memory, "The Court has directed this document be filed for the record, but otherwise we're just ignoring it. Please talk to your lawyer about how to correctly present whichever parts of this are actually supposed to be legal defenses."

I feel so bad for her lawyer, who probably spends so much time trying to explain reality, only to have to give up and just let her do whatever.

quote:

Tiffany Harris, Cox's court-appointed attorney, declined comment on the counter claim.

This is my favorite part:

quote:

In her complaint, Cox says she'll ask jurors who hear her case to bring criminal and civil charges instead against all of the Oregon State Bar members and public employees involved in the "persecution, prosecutorial misconduct and ineffective (counsel)" that resulted in the extended prison time for Burns-area ranchers Dwight Hammond Jr. and his son, Steve Hammond.

That's right, you can totally just ask your jurors to bring charges against unrelated people. Everyone knows that juries don't have to actually bring a verdict on the case they're hearing but can bring whatever verdict they want on whoever they want.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Status of the Wicked: thoroughly confounded

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

VikingSkull posted:

my last reply in here was the 9000th reply and my 420th of the thread

:snoop: