Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bad Seafood posted:

Alright guys let's not turn this into a place into a sideshow.
Your initial opinion was neutral, yes - if weird to parse - but upon being asked to clarify you immediately jumped to, "You guys worship Tomino too much," after which you proceeded to paint your detractors in broad, unflattering strokes apropos of nothing besides Boom Boom being Boom Boom. I can't say I see how a bunch of people advocating/defending Tomino's chops specifically as a comedy writer somehow translates into them blindly standing vigil in his hallowed name, especially when many of these same posters are critical of him in other areas.

You're reading it too literally, but ok, we will roll with it. This whole comedy business started when Xinder said Moon Moon isn't good or funny, then the entire thread does it's damnest to drown the dude out and rehabilitate Tomino comedy cred. I should correct what I said a little as I didn't really proofread it making it hard to parse. Corrections in bold.

oohhboy posted:

I find Tomino takes the Darkness too far rather than that he is good at comedy. It's not that he is bad at comedy, when contrasted to things like Zeta, it had no where to go but up.

Even something that doesn't have a taste like water, taste good when you're thirsty, to put it another way. This was enough to blow up the thread. By that point it's hard not to make the observation that it isn't worship as the thread went into overdrive to bat for Tomino. I could say more about Tomino's comedy, but I don't see the point considering anything I say is likely to be seen as incendiary no matter what I say.

Zedd posted:

I like this thread, please don't get it closed again guys. :v:
I will try to stop this from happening again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I cannot for the life of me find good images of non main/minor character Zanscare. However if you are into crazy overly busty Katejina PVC figuires I assure you now you are living in a golden age.

Seriously, aside from screen capping directly from the episodes anyone got any suggestions? If not, I'll sadly just move onto Zeon.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

oohhboy posted:

I could say more about Tomino's comedy, but I don't see the point considering anything I say is likely to be seen as incendiary no matter what I say.

I will try to stop this from happening again.

I think you should say more. Part of what made you seem so caustic this time is that you said a single line that when read parses mostly as "actually, he's not funny" followed by "anyone who disagrees is white knighting hard" whereas if you had gone into detail in the first place there'd actually be something to discuss versus one dude going "it sucks" which doesn't give people much incentive or options other than "no it doesn't", you get what you give, I guess!

I see where you're coming from with the idea that the comedy seems funnier that it actually because of the surrounding material, but Xabungle is like 99% jokes and a lot of people don't find the start of ZZ very funny and that's famous for the tonal whiplash from the end of Zeta so I don't think that's entirely the reason, but it probably doesn't hurt..

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

EthanSteele posted:

I think you should say more. Part of what made you seem so caustic this time is that you said a single line that when read parses mostly as "actually, he's not funny" followed by "anyone who disagrees is white knighting hard" whereas if you had gone into detail in the first place there'd actually be something to discuss versus one dude going "it sucks" which doesn't give people much incentive or options other than "no it doesn't", you get what you give, I guess!

yeah, this is the problem i had w/ that post. it seemed dismissive rather than attempting to bring up any concrete opposing view, and then turning from that to paint everybody as "fanboys" just made it worse

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Tomino is anything but infallible. I enjoyed G-Reco but even I'll admit it wasn't even close to his best work. I have serious problems with Zeta's characters, and while I enjoy ZZ immensely I can understand why it's not for everyone. I enjoyed Turn A a fuckton, but I do feel the show doesn't have quite the same impact if you haven't seen other shows in the UC. You can go without watching them, but Turn A's ending is more shocking to me after however many Gundam shows end on "Hooray we did it--oh wait nobody learned a goddamn thing."

Anywho, the only Gundam show that's above any sort of criticism is G Gundam.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Im snarlin and tossing up papers at this assertion.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
Wow things happened since I last posted. I'll just agree to disagree with the guys who responded to me rather than dissect this anymore at this stage. I just don't like Moon Moon at all. I'm banking on ZZ getting more enjoyable though. Since as I was told ~20 episodes in the show takes a tone shift or something, which is nice.

I'm trying not to want more Zeta, because I know that's a bad way to view things. But when Zeta was so good and I watched it right before ZZ it's hard not to feel it.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

SeanBeansShako posted:

I cannot for the life of me find good images of non main/minor character Zanscare. However if you are into crazy overly busty Katejina PVC figuires I assure you now you are living in a golden age.

Seriously, aside from screen capping directly from the episodes anyone got any suggestions? If not, I'll sadly just move onto Zeon.
I'd just go for the screencap option, given how rare it is to find Victory related images.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

AradoBalanga posted:

I'd just go for the screencap option, given how rare it is to find Victory related images.

Oh jesus that is like 51 episodes versus my shite memory. I might have to put that one on the back burner.

Ironic really, Zanscare has an even more Nazi boner than Zeon.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I haven't watch Xabungle and if that clip was the best he can offer, I am not resonating with it. I find that his comedy is very one note, slapstick and that clip is 2 minutes of the same joke over and over again, sure the villain is having a mini breaking down from the literal waves of love, but then it petters out into an anticlimax having served no purpose. It doesn't help I don't have any of the build up or context to it.

When given the chance to write better comedy ala Loren/Laura he seems to stop before going into it with any depth except it is his longest running joke in all of his Gundam works when at the last episode you get hit with oh Guin's gay and he refuses to lower himself(In his eyes) in order to rule or have happiness so a female takes his place with a verbal smack down. There was easy comedy gold to have with Laura and he barely did anything with it. It becomes a figment of a past choice he wasn't allowed to make.

The Iron Gear clip has the same problem, 3 minutes of effectively running the same slap stick joke that never messes with your expectations and you are never surprised by the outcome. Take road runner for example, you know the coyote is going to fail, but how he fails is is the surprise, even then you have your expectations subverted again when he falls off that cliff after seemingly recovering from his last case of cartoon death.

So no, I don't find him very funny and given I watch Zeta and ZZ back to back, the comedy as shallow as it was, came as a welcome relief. The best jokes were very quick ones regarding the continued loss of Bright's dignity as a Captain cumulating in him losing his ship, but finally having your expectations subverted where he is ok with this, becoming a heart warming moment instead of more slap stick.

All those gifs posted reinforce the fact he doesn't punch much higher than football in the groin level of comedy that tend to linger too long. His unintentional comedy is far stronger, but exceedingly rare. Ramaba line about forgetting to fight and subsequent suicide is so bizarre you can't help but laugh. He is A CHAR. Bazooka headshot. Motorcycle war machines and nuclear suicides. Head crunch. Beam rifle overkill.

The best Gundam comedies are well, actual comedies doing all those thing Tomino can't or isn't willing to do to make a good lasting joke. The SD Gundam OVAs directly related to MSG, Z, ZZ, CCA mock the living daylights out of them. One of the closest times Tomino approaches this is when Moon Moon come along demanding they destroy ZZ cumulating in intentional, unintentional "bad" acting where the VA sold the joke more than anything Tomino did.

In closing, comedy is not Tomino's wheel house. He is unnatural at it causing tonal whiplash. It's shallow, imminently forgettable most of the time. His best comedy is when he doesn't try for that easy two pointer but instead slips and throws that cross court 3 pointer.

To end on another divisive note, my favourite Gundam series isn't a Tomino work. His best Gundam is his first, his worst his last.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voOQ-Fph7Fc

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

She's so cool.:swoon:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Edit: Eh, nevermind

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The only SD Gundam episode I've ever been able to finish was the Wacky Races homage, but it was more out of a fascination with how enamored some people in the anime industry are with the show (And hell, that love gave us Redline so I'm cool with it).

The rest I've checked out felt too in-jokey in a way that felt pretty hokey to me. I recall a particularly bad gag involving the next episode preview line from Zeta that just turned me off from checking out any more.

What I love about Xabungle's humor isn't just the slapstick, but the way the entire cast bounces off each other. They're always yelling and having fun in a way that goes a long way towards warming me up to that cast of goofballs.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

One of the SD Gundam episodes was confusing as hell to me at the start because where I am from, a pension is not a time share holiday cottage.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Xinder posted:

Wow things happened since I last posted. I'll just agree to disagree with the guys who responded to me rather than dissect this anymore at this stage. I just don't like Moon Moon at all. I'm banking on ZZ getting more enjoyable though. Since as I was told ~20 episodes in the show takes a tone shift or something, which is nice.

I'm trying not to want more Zeta, because I know that's a bad way to view things. But when Zeta was so good and I watched it right before ZZ it's hard not to feel it.

I empathize with ya. Several months ago I finished up Zeta and really liked it so I dove right into ZZ. The shift from serious war drama into "what are these wacky kids going to do today!" really put me off. I get Judau and Co. are kids that do dumb things but I have no idea why they wrote all the early antagonists (Marshmello/Chara/Glemmy) into comically incompetent morons (who suddenly turn serious, with no explanation why, at the series midpoint). It also disappoints me what ZZ did with the development of the characters coming from Zeta. Bright/Yazan are turned into buffoons, Camile/Fa get brushed aside, Amuro/Hayato/Sayla have singular token appearances, and Haman doesn't really do anything meaningful until midway though the show. Hamans treatment is the worst because she is (imo) the best written antagonist the franchise has had chronologically up to this point and yet they do nothing with her until very late in the series.

Regarding ep 20-21, they defiantly feel like they were the first episodes directed by Tomino. A few episodes after is where the show realizes it has to start progressing the plot. I wouldn't say that there's a absolute point at which the show gets serious (there's some pretty stupid stuff later in the series too), but the focus on the story post ~ep 20 curbs a majority of the wacky stuff. Mondo and Beecha are still morons though.

roux is the only good OC in ZZ, if only by virtue of being the only competent member of the argama

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
You know thinking about it a bit, ZZ would probably be a much better show if Mondo and Beecha weren't in it. 95% of the time theyre the catalyst for all the dumb poo poo that happens to everyone else.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Kuvo posted:

roux is the only good OC in ZZ, if only by virtue of being the only competent member of the argama

wrong

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Elle, dear, that isn't how shirts work.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

It was the 80's man.

Nothing worked in the 80's.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Hairspray did

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

cutout shirts were still pretty popular just a couple of years ago but its was mostly back cutouts

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

i always thought the skull cutouts were cool but i havent seen any in a bit

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

When you own a giant robot deathmonster and can use it to take out entire armies of more powerful and advanced giant robot deathmonsters, you're allowed to commit whatever crimes against fashion you want.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

advanced cutout technique: the heart cutout thats also a ribcage

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

When you own a giant robot deathmonster and can use it to take out entire armies of more powerful and advanced giant robot deathmonsters, you're allowed to commit whatever crimes against fashion you want.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I always assumed ZZ's tonal whiplash was due to Tomino's brain problems, his desire to kill the monster he'd created, or both.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I think he made ZZ the way it is since he likes funny things, not because of brain damage

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

If you really like z zz is sorta dumb especially right after z but i think z gets too much credit and zz takes too many knocks so together they are "pretty neat"

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
Elle is nice, but thus far Roux is my favorite character. Elle managed to be someone I didn't immediately grow to dislike early on (which was rare) and Roux I almost immediately liked. She's great.

My dislike of most of the main cast is slowly fading as time goes on. Not for Mondo and Beecha though.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Harry Ord is the universe. And I love him for it.:allears:

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx
I really dislike ZZ but it's more of just personal dislike for it. It's not that terrible outside of a couple things (Moon Moon is the loving worst, and so is Beecha). Zeta is my favorite Gundam series though and ZZ just doesn't work for me.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Bimmi posted:

I always assumed ZZ's tonal whiplash was due to Tomino's brain problems, his desire to kill the monster he'd created, or both.

Nah, that was Victory.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

W.T. Fits posted:

Nah, that was Victory.

V was his next and final stab at it.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Bimmi posted:

Tomino had a tendency to follow his tragedies with comedies. After Zambot he made Daitarn, after Ideon he made Xabungle, after Dunbine he made Xabungle Grafitti. So naturally he took the same approach going from Z to ZZ.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
Finished episode 20. It's getting more interesting now at least. Puru creeps me out, though.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Xinder posted:

Finished episode 20. It's getting more interesting now at least. Puru creeps me out, though.

Given the origin of her name (Elpeo Ple = L(emon) People, a notorious hentai magazine with characters that... uhh... tended a little young), any creepiness is almost certainly intentional.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Given the origin of her name (Elpeo Ple = L(emon) People, a notorious hentai magazine with characters that... uhh... tended a little young), any creepiness is almost certainly intentional.

intentional like the creepy posts you keep making? Puru is fine, jesus christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

If you could keep your obsession with pedophilia out of the gundam thread that would be cool, i think