Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Selachian posted:

Jeb!, as you may have heard, tweeted a picture of a gun with his name engraved on it.

I wish there were a Youtube-style progress bar along the bottom of these GIFs; I never know when it's safe to stop watching. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

prefect posted:

I wish there were a Youtube-style progress bar along the bottom of these GIFs; I never know when it's safe to stop watching. :ohdear:

It's Jeb! so there really isn't much to see.

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

Ranter posted:

French, Italians and SWEDES weren't wholly white for Ben Franklin? Wow.

I know this has been gone over, but it's worth keeping in mind that Franklin - and the rest of the framers - considered themselves English for most of their lives, and for a long time it was an article of faith among the English that ( and I wish I were joking ) "the dagos begin at Calais".

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

Selachian posted:

Jeb!, as you may have heard, tweeted a picture of a gun with his name engraved on it.

He looks so happy. :3:

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Nenonen posted:

The point is that some American guy who's never been to Sweden would have to rely on his acquiantances eg. in diplomatic circles, and being noblemen they didn't always have purely Nordic ancestry.

Bernadotte is really interesting though, a French marshall-come-king of the north who took part in defeating Napoleon.

I found it amusing that as a king he refused physicians to examine him because he had "Death to Kings" tattooed on him.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

4 Oh Eric :nallears:
8 Trust Gorrell to be both lazy and incoherent
10 real subtle there Skelley
11 Hah! That uppity Obama, doing that thing that he did only in my own imagination.
12 That Cruz :allears:

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred. An Imperial cartoon.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Alito got confirmed 58-42 you dumb hack.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

colonel_korn posted:

12 That Cruz :allears:

:buddy: Dicknose!

quote:

:stare:

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Mankind is as destructive to species as a cometary impact. An I-wish-that-was-a-joke cartoon. :sigh:

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

This is really funny

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

You heard it here first. Apple isn't actually concerned with consumer privacy, they are just Bad At Computers.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

seiferguy posted:

Also there is a material difference between "we oppose this specific nominee because of concerns about him in particular" and "we oppose anyone who is nominated because OBAMA"

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Who can forget that 10km meteor that collided with the Earth a few decades ago and kickstarted global warming. Wowsers, was that an exciting year.

dijon du jour fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Feb 18, 2016

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Internet Webguy posted:

You heard it here first. Apple isn't actually concerned with consumer privacy, they are just Bad At Computers.

And here I thought Davies was One Of The Good Ones. :sigh:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

seiferguy posted:

It wasn't 100-0. That's the problem.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
I feel like "the cartoonist has no idea how encryption works" may have legs as an edit series already, since it's clear some don't have a clue.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Yeah, there's a difference between "we don't like this guy" and "we're going to block literally anyone nominated and triple the old record for longest confirmation."

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

He finally got his skul-gun.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy

colonel_korn posted:

8 Trust Gorrell to be both lazy and incoherent

Ah yes, if only Apple had given the government a backdoor to the Internet Phones that the FBI seized from the San Bernadino shooters prior to the shooting, they would've realized they were texting back and forth, "hey let's shoot up this place! monday good?"

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Ultraklystron posted:

I feel like "the cartoonist has no idea how encryption works" may have legs as an edit series already, since it's clear some don't have a clue.

Yeah I was going to say, even a lot of good people have dumb opinions about the Apple thing because nobody gets how encryption works, or the fact that this is much more about tech security practices and legal precedent than it is about privacy.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Alito, who is more right-wing than even Scalia (just without the bluster) was confirmed, you hack. Meanwhile, Senate Republicans are saying they won't even entertain the notion of Obama nominating anyone.

Also, if you're wondering if our usual suspects are being complete hypocrites on the matter, of course they are!

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Yeah a lot of people don't get how encryption works and that since Apple did not build a back door the ONLY get into the phone is somehow obtain the password.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

vyelkin posted:

Bombardier used to be a good manufacturing company making planes and trains and snowmobiles and other stuff like that, until relatively recently when they were taken over by MBAs who have run them into the ground. Their business model now is to get contracts through corruption and being the only Canadian bidder, do such an incompetent job that they can't even weld metal together properly, and then ask the government for bailouts when they lose money.

Recently the government of Quebec gave them over a billion dollars. Their response, yesterday, was to turn around and announce that they were firing 7,000 people.

Canadian industry!

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Shugojin posted:

Yeah a lot of people don't get how encryption works and that since Apple did not build a back door the ONLY get into the phone is somehow obtain the password.

Also a lot of people don't get that a security system with a backdoor by definition isn't.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
The problem is that it actually is feasible for Apple to disable the security mechanisms the court is telling them to. Yes, the FBI will still have to brute force the PIN, but the search space is small enough that they should be able to accomplish that in a matter of days at most and more likely minutes - once Apple disables the security features that would prevent them from doing that.

Since Apple controls the phone's firmware and it's possible to update the firmware on this particular model of the iPhone, it is entirely possible for Apple to comply with the court order. They're going to lose this battle in the end.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
This is a derail in the making, but I don't think you could make any changes to the locked phones operating system or firmware because its, well, locked. And to brute force it, even if they could disable the timer/attempts security feature, are you imagining they have a robot arm that is pushing the buttons automatically at rapid speed?

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Xenoveritas posted:

The problem is that it actually is feasible for Apple to disable the security mechanisms the court is telling them to. Yes, the FBI will still have to brute force the PIN, but the search space is small enough that they should be able to accomplish that in a matter of days at most and more likely minutes - once Apple disables the security features that would prevent them from doing that.

Since Apple controls the phone's firmware and it's possible to update the firmware on this particular model of the iPhone, it is entirely possible for Apple to comply with the court order. They're going to lose this battle in the end.

There isn't a way to ensure the firmware can't be used to brute force other phones. If the state gave Apple the phone and compelled them to unlock it themselves and provide the state with an infodump then you might have a point.

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

Ranter posted:

are you imagining they have a robot arm that is pushing the buttons automatically at rapid speed?

I don't see why they couldn't simply emulate the serial output of the touchscreen.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

... for all.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Dr Cheeto posted:

There isn't a way to ensure the firmware can't be used to brute force other phones. If the state gave Apple the phone and compelled them to unlock it themselves and provide the state with an infodump then you might have a point.

Considering that Apple's already provided the FBI with the iCloud backup of the phone, along with all texts from it and call logs, and that it was a work phone, not the personal phones of the terrorists (which they actually shredded, along with their computer hard drives), I wonder what useful information the FBI actually wants to get off the phone?

(There is none, they just want the precedent so they can force Apple to unlock any other iPhones they run across in the future, never mind that proving the feasibility of such opens the doors for other governments to demand the same drat thing)

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

Schpyder posted:

Considering that Apple's already provided the FBI with the iCloud backup of the phone, along with all texts from it and call logs, and that it was a work phone, not the personal phones of the terrorists (which they actually shredded, along with their computer hard drives), I wonder what useful information the FBI actually wants to get off the phone?

(There is none, they just want the precedent so they can force Apple to unlock any other iPhones they run across in the future, never mind that proving the feasibility of such opens the doors for other governments to demand the same drat thing)

At least we'll have neat fluorescent umbrellas and killer humanoid robots to look forward.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
The FBI wants to be able to brute force the phone. It currently has encrypted contents that are set to erase themselves after 10 unsuccessful attempts to gain entry. The courts want Apple to disable this feature.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
It might be a bit obscure, but I really wanna see someone make a Blackadder 4 joke with Jeb!

"Jeb, what are you doing?"
"I'm carving something on this bullet, sir"
"And what are you carving?"
"I'm carving Jeb!, sir"
"Why?"
"It's a cunning plan, actually"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Fulchrum posted:

It might be a bit obscure, but I really wanna see someone make a Blackadder 4 joke with Jeb!

Jeb: Whatever your joke was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get the nomination by saying insane things. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here? :sigh:

Yes ....and then all the dinosaurs died out....

:psyduck:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Feb 18, 2016

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

Yes ....and then all the dinosaurs died out....

:psyduck:

It's basically "the climate has changed drastically before man existed so clearly man's actions can have no influence on the climate."

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Do you think they know what state the Bushes come from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Zerilan posted:

It's basically "the climate has changed drastically before man existed so clearly man's actions can have no influence on the climate."

God it's so frustrating. "Look, all our pollution has done is cause similar effects to that time a giant meteor crashed into the earth at unimaginably high speed, that's all!"

• Locked thread