Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

kapalama posted:

Imagine how loose someone's mouth is if they talk about what happened in Japan (or in this case living in Japan) and it's bullshit.

I think it also says something to you about yourself, that you tend to believe it.

:v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

504 posted:

This is not "Jenny barks when shes banging" this is "This freak wants me to piss on her in the really early stages of dating"

and why would he not believe his friend? over someone he doesn't know from work?

It is a bit more complicated than that. They actually dated for about 6 months before the whole peeing on each other became an issue. I really only found out about the whole pee fetish thing after the breakup. When we got shitfaced and he told me why they broke up.

The thing is that that my friend was the king of dirty jokes, he was cool with all sorts of perversions, he just wasn't down with that particular fetish. If that's you're thing, well then let you're freak flag fly.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Feb 18, 2016

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
I was thinking about doing an ask/tell on the collapse of Dick Smith Electronics but it may be a bit to specific for a world based site like SA.

Do you think so?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

504 posted:

I was thinking about doing an ask/tell on the collapse of Dick Smith Electronics but it may be a bit to specific for a world based site like SA.

Do you think so?

Well I'd be interested but I'm Aus myself so.

But if you go ahead and I'm right about the nature of it, drop a link in PYF Schadenfreude. :allears:

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

How can I find out what prescription my glasses are so I can get some new ones for cheap? I called my optometrist a while back and asked, and they didn't seem to understand my question and muttered something in response about making a new appointment. They also sell expensive glasses there so they have a vested interest in not telling me.

Could a generic retail glasses store figure it out if I bring in my old, scratched up pair?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

How can I find out what prescription my glasses are so I can get some new ones for cheap? I called my optometrist a while back and asked, and they didn't seem to understand my question and muttered something in response about making a new appointment. They also sell expensive glasses there so they have a vested interest in not telling me.

Could a generic retail glasses store figure it out if I bring in my old, scratched up pair?

Go to the office in person and ask for your prescription. They'll give it to you if you pester them enough. I had to do the same thing recently, and it's easy for them to brush you off over the phone.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
Is there some known bug with Firefox and the forums where images from imgur don't show up. I tried loading with no add-ons and that didn't fix it and the same images are fine in Chrome. I have the latest version of Firefox. It may be only TIMG images also because some work and others don't.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Why do elements have totally different properties than their periodic table neighbors when they are only a subatomic particle different? Why is platinum grey but gold yellow?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

kapalama posted:

I think you found a person you cannot trust though, for free. There are two possibilities at play here.

Imagine how loose someone's mouth is if they talk about what happened in a bedroom (or in this case a bathroom) with a lover.

I think it also says something to you about yourself, that you tend to believe it.

I kind of feel like someone who lets information like this out is either childish and untrustworthy, or equally likely, the kind of liar who uses people's natural tendency to believe things they are told "in confidence" to spread lies about other people to get ahead in some weird way.

(and I hope to god "Sara from Accounting" was a joke phrase, rather than an actual description.)

:siren:Piss fancier spotted!:siren:

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Baron Porkface posted:

Why do elements have totally different properties than their periodic table neighbors when they are only a subatomic particle different? Why is platinum grey but gold yellow?

Different amounts of subatomic particles result in different levels of reactivity and interaction with other things. The only difference between the highly reactive fluorine (9) and high not-reactive neon (10) is one electron: fluorine badly wants to have another electron, so reacts with everything to get it, but neon has all the electrons it needs. Likewise sodium (11) has one more electron than it really needs to have, so it really wants to share it with others.

Platinum absorbs and reflects light of all wavelengths equally, but the specific structure of gold means that it absorbs yellow light slightly less than other colors, and/or reflects it more than the others.

dupersaurus fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Feb 18, 2016

tminz
Jul 1, 2004

This is it! Thank you!

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

If it's been a while, you really should get an appointment for an exam as your eyes may have changed since your last exam. Cheapest would probably be a Costco or Wal-Mart. If you go to an optometrist, make sure to ask them to measure your pupillary distance.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

bongwizzard posted:

:siren:Piss fancier spotted!:siren:

Actually I AM Sara from Accounting, and that boy asked if he could piss on me first. I just got into it once he started.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Trastion posted:

Is there some known bug with Firefox and the forums where images from imgur don't show up. I tried loading with no add-ons and that didn't fix it and the same images are fine in Chrome. I have the latest version of Firefox. It may be only TIMG images also because some work and others don't.

It's a side effect of the forums moving to https. Basically, if an image is served via a non-https host, it likely won't show up if you're viewing the forums via https. Fortunately there's a workaround: up in the url bar for the forums page, change the https:// to http:// and hit enter to switch back to the old non-encrypted page.

I just learned about this the other day myself, having asked a very similar question in the Technical Thread.

Powered Descent fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Feb 21, 2016

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

kedo posted:

Go to the office in person and ask for your prescription. They'll give it to you if you pester them enough. I had to do the same thing recently, and it's easy for them to brush you off over the phone.

They are required by law to give you a prescription valid for at least one year from the date of the eye exam. They can't hold it hostage so you buy from them.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

kapalama posted:

Actually I AM Sara from Accounting, and that boy asked if he could piss on me first. I just got into it once he started.

I have to assume this is how it plays out, like, how else you gonna discover you are into that?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

bongwizzard posted:

I have to assume this is how it plays out, like, how else you gonna discover you are into that?

Some guys pee in the shower, sometimes they forget there's a lady present. Some of the splash gets on her feet and you just go with it.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
A friend and I used to have whole days at work stuck in a small lift like 60' in the air. We had a lot of downtime and like to play a game where we imagined what it was like for super pervy people pre internet. Like, if you are into pooping on ladies' tits, how much time you would waste dating people who freaked and left when you brought it up? We decided the best way would be to make your first date at an icrecream parlor, accidentally throw a chocolate cone on her while giving her one's most smoldering bedroom eyes.

We had a lot of good times in that lift.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Remember that in some states that your prescription will expire after 1 or 2 years and that if you want glasses made locally, they will more than likely make you take another eye exam. And yes, any generic glasses store will be able to tell your prescription from your old pair of glasses but I'm not sure if you will be able to get everything you need to order new glasses just from that.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Is the E/N subforum for real or is it an ironic comedy thing? Genuinely curious, I just read a little of it for the first time and I can't tell. The questions, the answers, the regular posters... The whole thing reads like some kind of parody.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
It's real. I refuse to believe that the baby stroller hiker is fake.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
I'm looking for a picture of a sign put on a urinal, probably fake, saying something like "the urinals have been closed at x college so men can know what it's like to pee using a toilet" or something to that effect.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Really dumb question, but in America, why do we (by common parlance) feel the need to label people as African-American, Asian-American, etc but do not hyphenate white people? It's not Caucasian-American, it's just "American."

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Really dumb question, but in America, why do we (by common parlance) feel the need to label people as African-American, Asian-American, etc but do not hyphenate white people? It's not Caucasian-American, it's just "American."

Presumably (though I don't claim to know) because Caucasian-Americans are the "default, normal" ones. (note the quotes, I'm not the one claiming this)

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Practically, because Africa and Asia are continents but white is not. You can call white people white people and be politically correct (though often you don't need to because they're the majority and aren't the focus of any population-specific issues such as incarceration or housing), but it sounds more dignified for some reason to say something nationalistic instead of "black person". So you need a place of origin or something sciencey like caucasoid, but negroid and mongoloid are obviously loaded with pejorative racist implications. Black people were kidnapped originally from Africa (whereas whites just migrated slowly like the rest of humanity) so they're African... But not like Nigerians, so we have to distinguish there.

Historically, white immigrant groups were (and still are) referred to as, say, Ukrainian-Americans which is a source of pride and identity for those people. The alternative for black people were labels based on racism or skin colour such as negro or black and they don't have the same strength as as a cultural/geographic indicator such as Irish-, so in the 80s the same treatment of wording was afforded to blacks for the same reasons, it theoretically evokes pride and identity instead of horrible history.

Even though, the rejection of "black" as an acceptable category is kind of confusing to me as well. In Canada we have "Black History Month", and I've never heard it called African- anything. It's also not generally considered offensive to talk about the black community, black people, or say, like, black Nova Scotians (unless you're drafting legislation, because that would be unprofessional). Black people don't get offended when referred to as black in my experience either, but my American tutor students invariably say "African-American" in all seven glorious syllables, every time. :iiam:

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Canadians aren't shooting black people in the streets on a monthly basis, so it probably has a lot to do with that.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Turtlicious posted:

Canadians aren't shooting black people in the streets on a monthly basis, so it probably has a lot to do with that.

So changing the name causes white people to become more violent?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

tuyop posted:

So changing the name causes white people to become more violent?

Nah, it comes from white guilt. White people as a whole feel lovely for what's happened in the past / happening currently, and ontop of that don't want to be lumped in with the kind of person who is gun-ho about killing black people. So they use special code words to show to everyone else in their room their not racist / are progressive.

Basically, saying African American is announcing to the room "hey please don't lump me in with a Tea-Party nutjob."

fe: Others are also over-compensating because they're worried about their career / social standing if anyone found out how they really felt about other races.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
I really don't see a lot of use of "African American" these days, honestly. It's pretty universally "black," lately. See also "Black Lives Matter."

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

People used to refer to themselves as 'Irish-American' and 'German-American' for many a moon, they just stopped doing it in more recent years because there started to be a focus on merely being American (to show PATRIOTISM). By and large you won't find black people referring to themselves as 'African-American' unless specifically talking about their heritage like 'to think that an African-American could be in a position like this, when I was a child I've never have thought it possible' - if you ask them if they're American, they'll say they're American. The tendency to hear 'African-American' or 'Asian-American' is just a holdover of America's racial political divide, perpetuated by progressives to push their heritage into the limelight and by conservatives to push their disdain into the limelight.

Of course, be careful using the term for any ol' black person you encounter since not every black person comes from Africa. ;)

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Tesseraction posted:

People used to refer to themselves as 'Irish-American' and 'German-American' for many a moon, they just stopped doing it in more recent years because there started to be a focus on merely being American (to show PATRIOTISM).

It didn't stop entirely. You can still find Polish-American or Italian-American associations and organizations if you look in the right neighborhoods, it's just less common these days, partly intentionally for the reason you mention but also partly because immigration from those nations has slowed and as such the younger generations are simply more assimilated and don't feel as much of a need to be involved in those kinds of groups.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Tesseraction posted:

Of course, be careful using the term for any ol' black person you encounter since not every black person comes from Africa. ;)

Every person on earth comes from Africa though.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

tuyop posted:

Every person on earth comes from Africa though.

Don't be smart with me lad or I'll send ye to the 'eadmaster.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

tuyop posted:

The what now? C'mon, you can't tease a lead like that and not deliver!

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

tuyop posted:

That thread started out in A/T so I'm pretty sure it was real. I kinda wish I hadn't unfriended him on Facebook after the hike ended... I got tired of reading about his stump removal business.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

DrBouvenstein posted:

The what now? C'mon, you can't tease a lead like that and not deliver!

Yeah I can't find the thread now at all but a dude posted a "walking across America AMA" thread and his plan was to walk along highways in summer in Nevada with a backpack and a bike stroller trailer thing he bought off craigslist for 80 bucks. He bought all his gear from Walmart and refused to open or test any of it before he would need it, it still had tags. He also refused to listen to anyone about gear and only changed his route slightly after like 30 pages of yelling.

Oh and he was doing it for "mental health awareness" and had signs and hashtags and a YouTube video that looked like a Web 2.0 ransom note. No real charities would touch him but he raised like 5k with a Kickstarter. Then he started his hike in a small public park and forgot to eat for like 12 hours, his stroller broke on mile 3 and he abandoned it in the woods, succumbed to exposure and reality on the top of a 300 foot hill and drove his nice car to his aunt's house.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

tuyop posted:

Yeah I can't find the thread now at all but a dude posted a "walking across America AMA" thread

Hiking Across America: My Clothes Were Too Heavy
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3714480

Worth a read from start to finish. It's truly a magical tale.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Did people in the 1940s also call it the second world war? Obviously they called it "the war" first though.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Namarrgon posted:

Did people in the 1940s also call it the second world war? Obviously they called it "the war" first though.

"World War II" was first used in print in 1919 by people speculating on what another war like the one they were just in would be like. The term Second World War first came to prominence in speeches by FDR in 1941, although some people had already started calling the war World War II after it got beyond the point of just the Poland stuff and the phony war period.

There were actually attempts to come up with a different name from Second World War or World War II while it was going on, but in the end those two names have stuck, with the corresponding renaming of what was mostly called The Great War.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Anyone know where I can find the Excel Advice / Questions thread?

edit: Found it http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3132163&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=46

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Feb 19, 2016