Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

ExiledTinkerer posted:

I'll also always wonder about an alternate reality where the D&D masters didn't botch things so drat terribly with Japan, how Sword World(still seems to be running their race as they do compared to all the troubles D&D continually gets into) rose up, giving up on/despite early high notes with video game/arcade licensing---the whole lot of it had to have left so much on the table it boggles the mind.
If what I've read about Sword World is any indication, Japanese tabletop RPGs take more direction from Final Fantasy, and other console RPGs that were derivative of D&D, than they do from D&D itself--and they're much, much better for it. The games are focused on being fun and interesting with no obnoxious poo poo about "verisimilitude" and earning your fun. You can play a rabbit man with a gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Verisimilitude is very fun and interesting though?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Not verisimilitude, but "verisimilitude," meaning unnecessary and burdensome simulation. Worse, simulation based on false assumptions (poo poo like, of course two-handed swords weigh 20 pounds, and of course you have to track every item you're carrying and its weight to the nearest tenth of a pound, etc.)

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
You're fooling yourself if you think Japanese games are all full of whimsy and modern design just because you can be wacky jrpg races. Many of them are specifically designed with old school ideas in mind; Ryuutama, a game basically about being a wandering artisan that is cute as all get out, has an introduction in the translation that basically says "this and lots of other Japanese RPGs have pretty traditional assumptions when it comes to things like gm fiat/control, the purpose of stats, etc." They take fewer notes from DnD than they do jrpgs, but a lot of classic jrpgs have very player-unfriendly ideas.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Verisimilitude is fun. Book-keeping isn't.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Serf posted:

Verisimilitude is fun. Book-keeping isn't.

I would probably still buy an Erol Otus-cover Audits & Accountancy Basic set if I could find one.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Bookkeeping is extremely fun, but I will admit that this is a minority opinion. Doing it half way is very lame though and no one gets off.

I have realized that there is a large gulf between "games I want to play" and "games I have even a small chance of getting others to play with me", so the I am trying to embrace less complex stuff.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Is there a japanese TRPG that lets me play as Torneko in his chapter in DQIV or Recette?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Is there a japanese TRPG that lets me play as [...] Recette?

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/140692/Retail-Magic-Golden-Friday-Edition

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

bongwizzard posted:

Verisimilitude is very fun and interesting though?
At some point, "verisimilitude" was hijacked to mean something different in online discussion--namely, the idea that the game is not a game, but a virtual reality engine. This tends to come packed with a lot of really awful design concepts; for example, the idea that PCs shouldn't be balanced against each other because some stuff is just better.

bongwizzard posted:

Bookkeeping is extremely fun, but I will admit that this is a minority opinion. Doing it half way is very lame though and no one gets off.

I have realized that there is a large gulf between "games I want to play" and "games I have even a small chance of getting others to play with me", so the I am trying to embrace less complex stuff.
What kind of bookkeeping do you mean? For example, there's a lot to track in D&D 4, but that's because it's a very tactical game. OTOH there are many games with a lot of data to track, but that bean-counting translates into zero interesting decisions to make in actual play.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Meh, as much as I like Ewen's original stuff it's not a "real" japanese TRPG.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Halloween Jack posted:

At some point, "verisimilitude" was hijacked to mean something different in online discussion--namely, the idea that the game is not a game, but a virtual reality engine. This tends to come packed with a lot of really awful design concepts; for example, the idea that PCs shouldn't be balanced against each other because some stuff is just better.

What kind of bookkeeping do you mean? For example, there's a lot to track in D&D 4, but that's because it's a very tactical game. OTOH there are many games with a lot of data to track, but that bean-counting translates into zero interesting decisions to make in actual play.

I have a theatre background, so verisimilitude comes up a lot, I didn't know it had other connotations in gaming. I guess I do prefer more "low fantasy" settings that work closer to the real world. Until recently I have never given it much thought, but for example, when I was looking to get back into gaming I read some of the 4e stuff and had an immediate negative reaction to the dragon dudes and golems guys as being "to silly".

I started gaming with AD&D 1e, and we played it as close to RAW as a bunch of 14 yearolds can. So stuff like tracking spell components, ammo, how many feet of rope carried, all that stuff. We played very focused on problem solving and not so much any roleplaying. We did progress a little into other games and a bit more actual roleplaying, but I still miss the days of fretting over how to waterproof my dude's spellbook.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

homullus posted:

I would probably still buy an Erol Otus-cover Audits & Accountancy Basic set if I could find one.
Maybe 2016 is the year we'll finally get a good Fantasy Classic Traveller.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

chrisoya posted:

Maybe 2016 is the year we'll finally get a good Fantasy Classic Traveller.

I would totally buy this.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

bongwizzard posted:

immediate negative reaction to the dragon dudes and golems guys as being "to silly"

fretting over how to waterproof my dude's spellbook.

Dragon guys: not realistic enough. Magic: perfectly fine.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

homullus posted:

I would totally buy this.

I can't empty-quote, so let's just say that if you cherry-pick Traveller enough you can totally play it as a John Carter of Mars-esque planetary sword adventure anyway.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

bongwizzard posted:

I guess I do prefer more "low fantasy" settings that work closer to the real world.

I started gaming with AD&D 1e, and we played it as close to RAW as a bunch of 14 yearolds can.

In what ways does AD&D meet the criteria of being low fantasy or working similarly to the real world?

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Leperflesh posted:

Dragon guys: not realistic enough. Magic: perfectly fine.

Well that's sort of the problem with typical fantasy and D&D in particular. They have shaped expectations for decades, and in such ways that some things seem very realistic and others not at all, even though they're both wildly out of theme for medieval Europe.

Simple example: firearms. Lots of people object to the presence of gunpowder in D&D because they want to "keep it medieval" but they have no problems at all with full plate armor. Which is ironic, considering that firearms were used in Europe for a long time before full plate was invented. I believe there are actually indications that full plate was developed because firearms were around.

That also goes for henotheism (google it), the presence of elves, the explicit answers that gods can give (including whether kings rule by divine mandate or not), wizards, and so forth. Your typical "medieval European" fantasy looks absolutely nothing like medieval Europe.

I guess that's just what people want though.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
"Low fantasy" is such a fuzzy concept it's not worth debating, but the idea that dragonborn are "silly" compared to older D&D stuff is just pure unexamined bellyfeel.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Didn't Dragonlance have dragon-men or lizard-people in like the 80s already?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Serf posted:

Yeah but they were the bad guys made from an evil ritual performed on good dragon eggs.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I'm pretty sure you'll find that the idea of dragonpeople was invented by 4th Edition Dungeons & Dragons circa 2008, actually.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Serf posted:

You'll find that most of the things people complain about "not being D&D enough" were included in AD&D, just not a part of it that they were exposed to when they were first playing.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

Serf posted:

The Draconians are the coolest part of Dragonlance, all in all. They're an artificial race created by the bad guys corrupting good dragon eggs, but once the bad guys were defeated, they lingered on and had to struggle to create their own cultural identity. They're actually super neat on a purely narrative level, and have the advantage of possessing very interesting mechanics to boot.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Serf posted:

Yeah, but they weren't intended for use as a PC race.

I still remember one guy back in 4e Encounters getting upset because there was a draconian NPC in the Dark Sun adventure. People draw the logic lines for fantasy in the dumbest places.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
I wonder where that notion of "low fantasy" "versimilitude" actually infected the hobby. The game materials for D&D, even from the earliest days, seem much more gonzo than that. Kung fu monks and psychics fighting along side elves and knights against Ray Harryhausen monsters over treasure. Robot dudes and dragon people have been in the game since at least the 80's; now you can finally just play one.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Didn't Expedition to the Barrier Peaks have ray-guns, aliens and robots? Seems to me that "silly" things have been around in D&D since before I was even born.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I was reading though the Basic D&D rules compendium and found an honest-to-goodness martial encounter power. It's amazing how badly we've let the grogs rewrite history...

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Serf posted:

Didn't Expedition to the Barrier Peaks have ray-guns, aliens and robots? Seems to me that "silly" things have been around in D&D since before I was even born.

It totally did, but it doesn't count because

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Serf posted:

Oh definitely.

Remember that in the wild, wooly days of the 70's, the lines between fantasy and sci-fi weren't as firmly drawn. They weren't even separate sections of the bookstore; fantasy was just a sub-genre of the larger sci-fi category.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Mecha Gojira posted:

I wonder where that notion of "low fantasy" "versimilitude" actually infected the hobby. The game materials for D&D, even from the earliest days, seem much more gonzo than that. Kung fu monks and psychics fighting along side elves and knights against Ray Harryhausen monsters over treasure. Robot dudes and dragon people have been in the game since at least the 80's; now you can finally just play one.
D&D has always been a dragon-cum-spattered clusterfuck of everything Gygax and his friends were reading from the pulp era up until the time D&D was published; it's game where a paladin from a Poul Anderson novel can smite an alien from an AE van Voght story.

A lot of what's "low" or "classic" or otherwise acceptable fantasy seems to be predicated on the idea of more-or-less normal people exploring a magical world--so if the player can look at a picture of his character and imagine himself as that guy, it's acceptable, even if that guy can create gravity wells with his mind. Dragonmen and Crystalmen are no more fantastical than a wizard from Vance's novels, but they set off mental alarms. Likewise, Elric's world is the stage of an epic battle between abstract forces of Law and Chaos, but because your PC is likely to be a vagabond with a sword, it satisfies many people's idea of "low fantasy."

moths posted:

I was reading though the Basic D&D rules compendium and found an honest-to-goodness martial encounter power. It's amazing how badly we've let the grogs rewrite history...
I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that Basic was phased out in large part because it lost an internal edition war at TSR; some of the developers felt that D&D books shouldn't be clearly written, straightforward guides to playing the game.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Feb 18, 2016

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

That's what's always bugged me about a lot of OSR games; they seem so focused on this mythical "dirt farmers tossed in a meat grinder" style of low fantasy they completely ignore all the goofy-rear end nonsensical poo poo that gave D&D its character.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Mecha Gojira posted:

You've finally been able to play as monsters / weird stuff in D&D since forever. I remember reading a (Dragon?) article about how to play as an undead character in OD&D, where obviously you start as a 1HD skeleton then move up to Zombie when you hit level 2 and so on. I'm pretty sure there was also a thing about playing as actual dragons, with rules about starting small at level 1 and getting bigger and stronger (edit: long, long before Council of Wyrms).

AD&D's DMG has a whole page explaining why you probably shouldn't have monsters as PCs but you can if you like, followed by a page and a half about lycanthrope PCs.

The 2nd ed DMG has rules for creating new PC races on page 15: "...such as orcs, lycanthropes, ogres, lizardmen, or even dragons".

2nd ed had the humanoids handbook.

Planescape, like in general.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Feb 18, 2016

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
Okay, you can finally play as these monsters officially without having to houserule a new race or do some bizarre multiclass shenanigans; they're in the PHB's and not tucked away as options in magazine articles or DMG/Monster Manuals. Splitting hairs, though, you know what I mean.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Evil Mastermind posted:

That's what's always bugged me about a lot of OSR games; they seem so focused on this mythical "dirt farmers tossed in a meat grinder" style of low fantasy they completely ignore all the goofy-rear end nonsensical poo poo that gave D&D its character.

That's why they're, forgive me if I'm wrong, culturally irrelevant in a subculture that is itself culturally irrelevant

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I remember Spelljammer having dragon-centaurs as a player race.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Mecha Gojira posted:

It's always been there. If you read through the oldest editions of Dragon or White Dwarf or whatever you'll see a neigh constant war in the fandom going on about it. Gygax more then once had to officially state that "realism" was bullshit and not a core part of his game. You had dozens of branch off games that ended up being little more then "D&D but with harsher wound penalties" or the like. Nerds have always been nerds - the kinda people who don't want to ever actually play the game, they just want to argue about it and imagine their own "perfect" versions.

As for when it became a part of proper mainstream D&D, 3rd edition for sure. Gygax wrote AD&D as a jumbled confusing mess not because it was how he played the game, but because it was how he felt others wanted to play the game. From there you had AD&D fans who were big "realism" types join TSR. Jeff Grub I believe mentioned with AD&D2e that they originally wanted to make a lot more changes, but felt the fandom would revolt against it. Those "realism" types were the ones who ended up working in WotC for 3rd edition - and their legacy is plain as day.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I don't want to pile on bongwizzard too much, because you know, his visceral gut-feels reaction isn't just made up. It's actually how a lot of people reacted.

I don't think dragonborn are misplaced in D&D, but it was, in hindsight, probably a tactical error to include them (and eladrin) in the first published PHB, while not including gnomes. There's nothing inherently more fantastical about a dragon-man than a gnome, mind you: but first impressions matter so very much, and the game was already taking (much needed, good, positive) risks.

e. If I recall correctly, when I first heard they were in the book - before I'd read the rules - I also had a negative reaction. I was eye-rolling, because the "half-dragon half-ogre half-vampire thief/fighter/mage/monk" bullshit that had been around for ages in previous editions was exactly the sort of crap I was hoping would be gone in the new D&D game, and yet here we were, oh boy, dragon-people.

Once I read the rules? It was obvious they had no particular overpowering advantage and were just another player race. I was disappointed there weren't any gnomes and that the sorcerer and bard and (especially) barbarian were missing... but I was so overwhelmingly pleased with how the game was written and balanced, and they were already clearly announcing that those classes and the gnomes were coming in future books, that it just didn't matter to me. It was also immediately obvious that you could just make a halfling and call it a gnome if you wanted to, or re-flavor any class to be any other class if it suited you.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Feb 18, 2016

Serf
May 5, 2011

Leperflesh posted:

I don't want to pile on bongwizzard too much, because you know, his visceral gut-feels reaction isn't just made up. It's actually how a lot of people reacted.

I don't think dragonborn are misplaced in D&D, but it was, in hindsight, probably a tactical error to include them (and eladrin) in the first published PHB, while not including gnomes. There's nothing inherently more fantastical about a dragon-man than a gnome, mind you: but first impressions matter so very much, and the game was already taking (much needed, good, positive) risks.

Eladrin were what always confused me. Like, we already had elves. Previous editions had roughly a billion subraces of elves too. Why were there now 2 kinds of elf in the core book? Gnomes would've made much more sense, honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Serf posted:

Eladrin were what always confused me. Like, we already had elves. Previous editions had roughly a billion subraces of elves too. Why were there now 2 kinds of elf in the core book? Gnomes would've made much more sense, honestly.

The original reason, IIRC, was the Elf-Elf weres like the wood elves while the Eladrin were like tolkein-fae elves.

• Locked thread