Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Animal posted:

I've seen Fuji's different Instagram accounts gushing over pictures of weathered looking X-T1's and X-Pro1's, I think the paint is meant to be that way to please the hipsters out there who want their cameras to look heavily used so they can in turn seem like grizzled photographers.

Then make the drat thing out of brass. Worn black paint over brass looks baller but regular old magnesium is bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

8th-snype posted:

Pretty much the one thing I am not a fan of regarding the x series is the fragility of the paint they use. I don't abuse my gear but I already have a chip on the "prism" of my XT1 and I've only had it a few weeks.

Shutter button of my xe1. I actually still have paint on all other surfaces because I put black vinyl on the body when I got it new.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

oh god what have i done

aaaaaaaaaa this thing is wider than your mom :radcat:

I got this refurbished for $600 and I don't give a fuuuuuuuuccccccccck :frogc00l:

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

DJExile posted:

oh god what have i done

I got this refurbished for $600 and I don't give a fuuuuuuuuccccccccck :frogc00l:

Not gunna lie: jealous as gently caress

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That is clean as gently caress.

Out of nowhere: I really want the 8mm Rokinon for X. Fisheye be damned, I want to go out and do really wide nighttime astro shots.

8th-snype posted:

Then make the drat thing out of brass. Worn black paint over brass looks baller but regular old magnesium is bad.

I dunno, your xpro was beat up to hell but I really like the look :) I think I've become what I hate.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Feb 18, 2016

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

DJExile posted:

Thats gonna be what like 16mm equivalent, 100 degrees? Trippy.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

It's listed as a 180 degree field of view. I have no idea if that'd change going to full frame.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Martytoof posted:

That is clean as gently caress.

Out of nowhere: I really want the 8mm Rokinon for X. Fisheye be damned, I want to go out and do really wide nighttime astro shots.

I dunno, your xpro was beat up to hell but I really like the look :) I think I've become what I hate.

I don't mind the scratches my xpro has, its like the camera has been used as opposed to my dentist's leica. (not too sure he has one)

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Aargh posted:

I don't mind the scratches my xpro has, its like the camera has been used as opposed to my dentist's leica. (not too sure he has one)

Probably using it as a door stop.

I got the x100t back from the shop. $150, they replaced the board and the entire lens/shutter assembly. Basically a new camera now. And I didn't have a proof of purchase.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

DJExile posted:

It's listed as a 180 degree field of view. I have no idea if that'd change going to full frame.

I don't know that it'd be able to cover any more than that. I used my bosses old Russian 8mm fisheye on my 5D back in the day, and it turned out to have similar coverage to a crop-sensor (circular image with black corners). No way a lens designed for m43 would cover more than one designed for 35mm, I'd think.

There is that ludicrous, super-rare Nikon fisheye for astrophotography, I think that's like a 6mm? Yeah, here we go: http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/fisheyes/6mmf28.htm

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?

DJExile posted:

oh god what have i done

:swoon:

you're gonna have the sweetest skateboarding shots bro

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
This could be you

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I didn't bother testing the 12/2 too much, but I found the focusing ring to be too stiff to be enjoyable in any use. It'll do when you have all the time to focus, it's just so drat slowww.

Build quality felt ok. Hood is huge. Sharpness is great corner to corner and ca is low/nonexistent. There's visible bulging distortion. Reviews say it has great coma handling so it works well with astrophotog.

I'd buy one used despite the focusing. Maybe I could switch the lubes to lighter ones if it isn't too much work. Reportedly the lens has a lot of sample variance so try the specific lens you are buying personally.

Oh, and the lens focuses past infinity so you need to always pay attention to that. Perhaps it is fixable, but drat does Samyang save pennies with QA.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

It focuses past infinity because 99% of the time the actual infinity point is a mm or two past the marking on the barrel. Samyang QA :suicide: Other than that I like it, its cheap with good optics and I haven't had the manual focus issues described. Mine has pretty extreme corner smeariness when open (notably worse than other examples i've seen) but other than that no complaints.

Example shots, im at work so havent got much selection

Composite panorama from 2 shots, Fuji X-e2 w Samyang 12mm/f2.

Tre Cime Eastern path, Italy.

Fort Monte Festa (3 shot composite)

Saros fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Feb 19, 2016

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I got my tax return and was about to order the Nissin i40, but stopped because I didn't know when I'd actually use it. One of the main reasons I love my fuji setup is that it's small and unassuming. I know the Nissin is small for an bounce flash, but it's still a fairly large add-on to an otherwise compact setup. I remember loving my old TTL flashes for house parties and the like back in the day but I just hesitate to spend $250 on something that I'm not sure I'd use all that much (I don't throw a ton of house parties any more and I don't want to be the guy with a bounce flash out at a bar). I want to get back in to doing more portraits but in general I just like carrying my camera around when I go on trips and snap general stuff.

Part of me wants to save up for the 16 and 56, sell the 18-55 (thought it's great, primes just feel better on the fuji) then maybe grab the 90 or something...making gear choices is hard. I've even tossed around the idea of selling everything and picking up the x100t with a wide/tele combo so I could just be done with it all.

Ouhei fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Feb 19, 2016

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Ouhei posted:

I got my tax return and was about to order the Nissin i40, but stopped because I didn't know when I'd actually use it. One of the main reasons I love my fuji setup is that it's small and unassuming. I know the Nissin is small for an bounce flash, but it's still a fairly large add-on to an otherwise compact setup. I remember loving my old TTL flashes for house parties and the like back in the day but I just hesitate to spend $250 on something that I'm not sure I'd use all that much (I don't throw a ton of house parties any more and I don't want to be the guy with a bounce flash out at a bar). I want to get back in to doing more portraits but in general I just like carrying my camera around when I go on trips and snap general stuff.

Part of me wants to save up for the 16 and 56, sell the 18-55 (thought it's great, primes just feel better on the fuji) then maybe grab the 90 or something...making gear choices is hard. I've even tossed around the idea of selling everything and picking up the x100t with a wide/tele combo so I could just be done with it all.

I got the Fuji EF-20. It has 90° vertical tilt, no horizontal tilt, and it folds up to be a little smaller than a pack of cigs so you can put it in your pocket no problem.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

Dren posted:

I got the Fuji EF-20. It has 90° vertical tilt, no horizontal tilt, and it folds up to be a little smaller than a pack of cigs so you can put it in your pocket no problem.

Oh I do like that idea, might have to grab that! It would still work on a x100t if I go nuclear on the modular lens system...

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Here's my entire kit for 3 weeks travel laid out as it will be carried on the airplane with me. Grey bag for carry on/non-quick access stuff: X-T1 body, strobes, misc gear, inflatable pillow, sleeping pad, emergency toiletry kit; Green bag for personal item/quick access: X100T plus kit, portable 10,000maH battery, documents, tablet, adapters , water bottle.

Plus two pictures to show how much room I have left for food and all the other the crap that accumulates while traveling.

Which leaves my entire checked bag for non-photo related stuff :toot:

There area few things that I didn't toss into the picture, like my radio triggers and spare memory cards.

Edit:

In synchronizing all the custom function buttons on my X100/XT I discovered the video button on my XT1 is broken and you have to push it extremely hard to get it to register anything :(

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Feb 19, 2016

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

Ouhei posted:

Get the 16 and 56mm they are fantastic.

Fart Car '97 posted:

In synchronizing all the custom function buttons on my X100/XT I discovered the video button on my XT1 is broken and you have to push it extremely hard to get it to register anything :(

You sure it's not just the built in 2 sec delay? That still applies to the button even if it's not set to video. I have mine set to change shutter modes and I still have to hold it down as if it was gonna record video.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

One XF Samyang 12/2 @ 2: http://hakkarainen.kuvat.fi/pics/DXT10117_lr5.jpg

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Fart Car '97 posted:

Here's my entire kit for 3 weeks travel laid out as it will be carried on the airplane with me. Grey bag for carry on/non-quick access stuff: X-T1 body, strobes, misc gear, inflatable pillow, sleeping pad, emergency toiletry kit; Green bag for personal item/quick access: X100T plus kit, portable 10,000maH battery, documents, tablet, adapters , water bottle.

Plus two pictures to show how much room I have left for food and all the other the crap that accumulates while traveling.

Which leaves my entire checked bag for non-photo related stuff :toot:

Are you using one of those charger you can swap the top plate and keep only 1 bottom to plug into the power socket? I actually have an after market charger that can charge both x100 battery and regular XE/XT/XP battery. Not reliable though.

What tablet are you using? Any adapter to load pictures to the tablet?

Since you show the water bottle, I suggest you bring some bug spray too.

I would have swapped the big earphone with 2 small bluetooth earphones too. :)

Sorry I am an armchair trip planner :)

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

Will covering the rear LCD with gaff tape on a Fuji mirrorless ruin the screen or anything? Google says maybe not but isn't conclusive.

Is there a better way that gaff tape to cover the rear screen in all black?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

mulls posted:

Will covering the rear LCD with gaff tape on a Fuji mirrorless ruin the screen or anything? Google says maybe not but isn't conclusive.

Get a cheap screen protector and either gaff tape that or paint one side of it then apply that to the camera.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

whatever7 posted:

Are you using one of those charger you can swap the top plate and keep only 1 bottom to plug into the power socket? I actually have an after market charger that can charge both x100 battery and regular XE/XT/XP battery. Not reliable though.

What tablet are you using? Any adapter to load pictures to the tablet?

Since you show the water bottle, I suggest you bring some bug spray too.

I would have swapped the big earphone with 2 small bluetooth earphones too. :)

Sorry I am an armchair trip planner :)

Yes, and I've never had any troubles with Wasabi power gear. It's aways traveled well with me.

And no way would I ditch those headphones. There's nothing like having great sounding, comfy over ear headphones to make traveling in an airplane more enjoyable.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I have those same Wasabi chargers and I love them.

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

8th-snype posted:

Get a cheap screen protector and either gaff tape that or paint one side of it then apply that to the camera.

That's a good idea, thanks.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

mulls posted:

I think all the Fujis with VFs let you just turn the back screen off entirely, assuming you just want to run dark. I know my XT10 and X100 do.

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

Huxley posted:

I think all the Fujis with VFs let you just turn the back screen off entirely, assuming you just want to run dark. I know my XT10 and X100 do.

I'm going to gaff over the branding etc, so I might as well gaff over the screen that I'll never use.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

8th-snype posted:

Get the 16 and 56mm they are fantastic.
Oh I know they're fantastic, it's more of the $ thing that keeps me from buying them than anything else.

mulls posted:

I'm going to gaff over the branding etc, so I might as well gaff over the screen that I'll never use.
Literally never use? even if you shoot with the VF the entire time, the screen is great for reviewing shots, or showing them to people...or for using any of the setting menus.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Loving the Xpro1 but holy gently caress I want to stab in the eye whoever decided that focus peaking should be white highlights

Is it still white only in newer X bodies?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

DJExile posted:

I have those same Wasabi chargers and I love them.
Same.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Martytoof posted:

Loving the Xpro1 but holy gently caress I want to stab in the eye whoever decided that focus peaking should be white highlights

Is it still white only in newer X bodies?

The color is now selectable.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

thetzar posted:

The color is now selectable.

Dang. Guess Xpro1 is just going to be stuck with white :[

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
I have to be the only person here that doesn't like focus peaking. I kept trying to love it and getting out of focus images so I just went back to zooming in to manual focus stuff.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
You've never photographed a moving subject, have you?

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Just picked up a second hand 55-200 for $400 AUD, seems in pretty good nick too there's a scratch or two on the hood but allelsr seems fine. Initial testing suggests its quite nice. Off to the F1 in a couple of weeks so I'll give it a bit of a run then.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

HPL posted:

You've never photographed a moving subject, have you?

Yes I have, I'd still rather use just the screen.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Ouhei posted:

Oh I do like that idea, might have to grab that! It would still work on a x100t if I go nuclear on the modular lens system...

I love the ef-x20 on the x100t. but i am a huge fan of direct flash.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

8th-snype posted:

Yes I have, I'd still rather use just the screen.

I also prefer zoom-in or prefocus over peaking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

whatever7 posted:

I also prefer zoom-in or prefocus over peaking.

Same. Focus peaking just never seems quite accurate enough for what I'm doing (birds, planes, other relatively small things).