Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I ain’t touching Bush dropout and I ain’t touching SC runner‐up.

a cop posted:

How clear is it that Jeb is going to drop out before super tuesday? I haven't been following those happenings.

Not all that clear. There are rumours today that staffers have been told the pay stops Saturday, but nothing concrete. Then there’s the aforementioned Super PAC ad cancellation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin

Platystemon posted:

I ain’t touch Bush dropout...
Wise words.

Corrupt Politician posted:

Are there any other states Jeb has put substantial resources into that would let him justify saying in just to wait and see? I mean "justify" in a subective, "need to continue to delude my staff and donors" sense, obviously there isn't an objective reason to stay in.
I'm not sure what Right to Rise PAC's position is other than they themselves have cancelled Super Tuesday advertising buys in recent days. I didn't hear anything about consolidating the buys in a certain region or anything.

For him to cart out half his drat family for South Carolina shows the desperation at play here. And for once I can't bet on the guy staying in the race (I maxed out on both his Iowa NO dropout and NO by 02/12 dropout markets). I think we're all on the same page though --- because of his poo poo positioning for Nevada if Jeb places fourth (or worse) and loses by 4+% that's probably the threshold where the campaign needs to start discussing funeral rites. They gave it everything short of wheeling HW out on stage, which of course wouldn't happen since the man is so old.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
I mean, I just said 75 is fair so 60 is not -that- far off, but if you're "not touching it" there are probably a ton of markets where you're missing free money and/or lighting some on fire.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Adar posted:

I mean, I just said 75 is fair so 60 is not -that- far off, but if you're "not touching it" there are probably a ton of markets where you're missing free money and/or lighting some on fire.

The thing is that I have no idea what the fair price is. Where’s my edge?

If I don’t know better than the market, it’s a straight gamble, and in the long run that’s a losing strategy. If you believe 75¢ is the fair price, go for it.

I decided Rubio in second was closer to even odds a few days ago when it trading in the low thirties, so I bought in. Then he got the Haley endorsement, the market reflected what I believed to be close to the true odds, and I got out. Maybe Rubio’s momentum and party support beats Cruz’s ground game, maybe it doesn’t, but I don’t give it far from coin‐flip odds and that’s how it’s currently priced.

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 21:15 on Feb 18, 2016

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
SC and Nevada are coming up and Jeb is polling badly in both. It's a safe bet that the market will react to each of those states AND any random news like what we got today. If you don't think he's going to drop, it's still a great market to flip after news cycles.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Adar posted:

Via Kelly Criterion there are at least five and probably a ton more primary markets that a bettor should max out at $850 before buying Jeb.Dropout shares at 60c that you think is a 75% chance of happening. It's hardly lighting money on fire to pass on this one.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

nachos posted:

SC and Nevada are coming up and Jeb is polling badly in both. It's a safe bet that the market will react to each of those states AND any random news like what we got today. If you don't think he's going to drop, it's still a great market to flip after news cycles.

It works both ways. In particular, the dropout market will take a hit if Kasich finishes below Jeb and again if Kasich drops.

e: Though Kasich dropout is priced quite low, so I guess other bettors don’t think that’s as likely as I do. I just don’t see where the money will come from to keep him going. Even if he beats Bush in SC and NV, Rubio is still their golden boy and there will be pressure on him to drop. He might as well do it with dignity.

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 21:48 on Feb 18, 2016

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
If the Carson drop out No market drops down a little more I'll probably by me some. He's not actually running and hasn't been for a while. The book tour's still got stops and as long as that money's flowing the good doctor has no reason to stop.

I bet Ron Paul has called him at least once asking if he would be his son. From Rand's house.

railroad terror
Jul 2, 2007

choo choo
I only bought in Jeb Dropout for 100 shares or so at .55 --- I'll probably sell if it cracks .70 some point soon.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

nachos posted:

i got some at 40 last night and woke up to them priced at 67 so yeah this works pretty well

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Platystemon posted:

It works both ways. In particular, the dropout market will take a hit if Kasich finishes below Jeb and again if Kasich drops.

e: Though Kasich dropout is priced quite low, so I guess other bettors don’t think that’s as likely as I do. I just don’t see where the money will come from to keep him going. Even if he beats Bush in SC and NV, Rubio is still their golden boy and there will be pressure on him to drop. He might as well do it with dignity.

He surely stays in until Ohio.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
Hmm, I had bought some Jeb Dropout NO because it's gotten so low, but it looks like its only going down even further and this thread makes me think he'll drop out after all... fuuuuuck. maybe I'll just take a small loss and get out now.

The Real Paddy
Aug 21, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

a cop posted:

Cruz is going to win 2nd...............he has to............

When you start thinking like this it is time to take losses and go somewhere safer, imo. That's part of why I got out. But he does have the ground game.

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich
I must have missed something- why is Carson drop out before ST so low ?

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

The Real Paddy posted:

When you start thinking like this it is time to take losses and go somewhere safer, imo. That's part of why I got out. But he does have the ground game.

Never!! NEVER!!!

I'll still break even if he loses. Then I'll go back to slow, steady, and boring. But I like having a nice juicy bet on this poo poo. It'll make Saturday interesting. I also think it's fairly undervalued- it's better than a 50/50. Cruz has the ground game, it's his territory in terms of demographics, and he's had the lead in nearly every single poll for the last few months, even yesterday in a poll w/ a 5000 sample size (by 2 points). I think the odds of Cruz supporters fervently actually-showing-up are greater than the rubio people.

e: Although, when you consider the undecideds, maybe it is a 50/50. No telling where they'll swing.

Trash Trick has issued a correction as of 00:47 on Feb 19, 2016

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich
Oh and 2nd question: what the hell was up with that NBC national poll?

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

TROIKA CURES GREEK posted:

The Jewish conspiracy rigged it against Trump I think.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

I was upside down in the trump market so I had to call in some favors

The Real Paddy
Aug 21, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/us/2016_republican_presidential_nomination-3823.html

Trump now at 34.2 nationally, pre SC win...

https://youtu.be/ZvCI-gNK_y4

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

EngineerSean posted:

Via Kelly Criterion there are at least five and probably a ton more primary markets that a bettor should max out at $850 before buying Jeb.Dropout shares at 60c that you think is a 75% chance of happening. It's hardly lighting money on fire to pass on this one.

Kelly doesn't apply on PI unless you are broke IRL. Because of the 850/4500 limits (the second one does exist right? I couldn't get confirmation either way but I saw somebody mention it) you need far more money available on March 1 and then November than you're ever going to be able to get on the site. Aggressively taking +EV bets is the best way to do this. I don't think there are too many K's with big action available there that are this mispriced pre-March 1.

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Wooo I'm glad I got Cruz for 3rd place SC shares at 8 cents a piece :toot:

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

This is a good question. I'd like to know too.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Someone's buying up a whole lotta Rubio.2nd.NO :getin:

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

is .61 low? Seems like his campaign has money to continue and he's got books to sell.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Adar posted:

Kelly doesn't apply on PI unless you are broke IRL. Because of the 850/4500 limits (the second one does exist right? I couldn't get confirmation either way but I saw somebody mention it) you need far more money available on March 1 and then November than you're ever going to be able to get on the site. Aggressively taking +EV bets is the best way to do this. I don't think there are too many K's with big action available there that are this mispriced pre-March 1.

Hmmm actually I was going to say Kelly maximizes bankroll over time but I just realized that if you treat this like the early stage of a rebuy tournament, it IS in your best interest to take riskier bets. I do have infinite $4500 rebuys but I'm just doing this for fun and don't want to explain to my wife how I lost $25k on TRUMP.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Adar posted:

I've got more than 4500 in it right now. 850 is definitely the limit for individual market, but linked markets let you bet 850 per line. So I could put 850 on Hillary YES/NO, 850 on Bernie YES/NO and 850 on O'Malley YES/NO, letting me buy a total of 2550 worth of shares in that 3 way market.

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

I don't understand how the linked markets work. I tried messing around in one and got excited when I got credited for purchasing more shares but my risk is so low now I just guaranteed myself pennies of profit

I need some equations to explain it

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Gyges posted:

I've got more than 4500 in it right now. 850 is definitely the limit for individual market, but linked markets let you bet 850 per line. So I could put 850 on Hillary YES/NO, 850 on Bernie YES/NO and 850 on O'Malley YES/NO, letting me buy a total of 2550 worth of shares in that 3 way market.

I'm about a thousand short of $4500 myself but you might want to check and see if you're able to deposit. I've never heard of a deposit limit but it wouldn't surprise me.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Commie NedFlanders posted:

I don't understand how the linked markets work. I tried messing around in one and got excited when I got credited for purchasing more shares but my risk is so low now I just guaranteed myself pennies of profit

Imagine four wads of cash at the edge of a cliff...

huge pile of hamburger
Nov 4, 2009

EngineerSean posted:

I'm about a thousand short of $4500 myself but you might want to check and see if you're able to deposit. I've never heard of a deposit limit but it wouldn't surprise me.

I haven't hit a deposit limit and I have significantly more than 4500 in.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Commie NedFlanders posted:

Fees are calculated in your risk, but I'm going to ignore them here for ease of calculation.

Say in the USPREZ market, both Trump and Clinton are trading at 40c and 60c respectively. If you bought 100 shares of NO for each of them, you'd spend $100. Your worst case scenario is that one of those two people win the presidency, in which case 100 of your shares would resolve to 0c and 100 of your shares would resolve to $1. In this case, you spent $100 (100 shares of Clinton.NO @ 40 and 100 shares of Trump.NO @ 60), and your worst case scenario states that you'll get $100 back (100 shares @ $1 a piece). Your risk is $0. If neither candidate wins the presidency, you'll win $100 on top of your $0 risk.

Let's throw a third candidate in, Bernie. Bernie's trading at 5c, so NO costs 95c. If you buy 100 shares of him, you have now spent $195. Your worst case scenario has changed, too. Now, if any of these three candidates wins, 100 shares will resolve to 0c, and 200 shares will resolve to $1. So your worst case scenario is $200, and you spent $195. Your risk is negative $5. If none of these three candidates win, you'll win an extra $100 on top of that -$5 risk. The math obviously gets more complicated when you have different numbers of shares of different candidates, but that's the gist of it.

edit: It can be very profitable, here's my screenshot from Iowa. Note that the fact that the highlighted column is not in parentheses means that I earned a guaranteed $291 in my worst case scenario.

EngineerSean has issued a correction as of 02:22 on Feb 19, 2016

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Here's a reminder: You must hit 15% to get a delegate in the South Carolina Republican primary. So anyone who's looking like they won't manage to break 15% is a good candidate for dropping out in shame.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

fishmech posted:

Here's a reminder: You must hit 15% to get a delegate in the South Carolina Republican primary. So anyone who's looking like they won't manage to break 15% is a good candidate for dropping out in shame.

even Carson?

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

EngineerSean posted:

Fees are calculated in your risk, but I'm going to ignore them here for ease of calculation.

Say in the USPREZ market, both Trump and Clinton are trading at 40c and 60c respectively. If you bought 100 shares of NO for each of them, you'd spend $100. Your worst case scenario is that one of those two people win the presidency, in which case 100 of your shares would resolve to 0c and 100 of your shares would resolve to $1. In this case, you spent $100 (100 shares of Clinton @ 40 and 100 shares of Trump @ 60), and your worst case scenario states that you'll get $100 back (100 shares @ $1 a piece). Your risk is $0. If neither candidate wins the presidency, you'll win $100 on top of your $0 risk.

Let's throw a third candidate in, Bernie. Bernie's trading at 5c, so NO costs 95c. If you buy 100 shares of him, you have now spent $195. Your worst case scenario has changed, too. Now, if any of these three candidates wins, 100 shares will resolve to 0c, and 200 shares will resolve to $1. So your worst case scenario is $200, and you spent $195. Your risk is negative $5. If none of these three candidates win, you'll win an extra $100 on top of that -$5 risk. The math obviously gets more complicated when you have different numbers of shares of different candidates, but that's the gist of it.

edit: It can be very profitable, here's my screenshot from Iowa. Note that the fact that the highlighted column is not in parentheses means that I earned a guaranteed $291 in my worst case scenario.

So...much....win.....

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

I can't find any polling but logic would dictate that Hillary is probably going to win in Kansas right? Seems like a 50/50 spread at this point so could be ripe for some hedging.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

What do ya'll think about the likelihood of Kasich sticking around? It seems futile, but he has a "lane" and his numbers are still trending upwards, he might be inclined to see how the more liberal contests go...

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

a cop posted:

I can't find any polling but logic would dictate that Hillary is probably going to win in Kansas right? Seems like a 50/50 spread at this point so could be ripe for some hedging.

Check the big 538 state by state chart. IIRC there are some surprises such as Bernie currently splitting the vote in Oklahoma.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

pro tip: 39 will drop before 29th, 26 will stay

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Vox Nihili posted:

What do ya'll think about the likelihood of Kasich sticking around? It seems futile, but he has a "lane" and his numbers are still trending upwards, he might be inclined to see how the more liberal contests go...

Absolutely, he has infrastructure in the Rust Belt already. He wants to compete in Ohio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Vox Nihili posted:

Check the big 538 state by state chart. IIRC there are some surprises such as Bernie currently splitting the vote in Oklahoma.

Sorry but link?? http://fivethirtyeight.com/tag/2016-democratic-primary/ is what i find googling..

Arkane posted:

pro tip: 39 will drop before 29th, 26 will stay

If you end up resolving those NOs, and Rubio ends up winning 2nd in SC, I will never ever EVER loving doubt you again.

• Locked thread