Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Dreylad posted:

This is getting pedantic. There is a difference between providing incentives to one pension plan versus providing it to all of them.

I can't help but be pedantic, sorry. You're saying that the OLP isn't influencing the ORPP to invest in Ontario infrastructure because the OLP is influencing all Ontario pensions to invest in Ontario infrastructure including the ORPP. You've got me, I give up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

New $52 monthly (!!!) fee introduced for disabled people with BC Bus Pass. I feel sick.

Those wannabe terrorists were onto something tbh. We need to burn Victoria to the loving ground.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

THC posted:

We need to burn Victoria to the loving ground.

Please don't.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

figuratively speaking

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Feel free to burn the main BC transit office to the ground, it's run by horrific liberal appointees. But Victoria is nice, probably the least bad part of a very bad province.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

THC posted:

New $52 monthly (!!!) fee introduced for disabled people with BC Bus Pass. I feel sick.

Those wannabe terrorists were onto something tbh. We need to burn Victoria to the loving ground.

Some RCMP officers will be at your door shortly to provide you with a bomb making kit.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

ZShakespeare posted:

Some RCMP officers will be at your door shortly to provide you with a bomb making kit.

:golfclap:

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eWIGTqJBcw

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

gently caress hootsuite

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Burn BC to the ground, start over. The Okanagan gets the right idea every summer, we just need to expand that to the rest of the province.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

gently caress this province

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Eh, $52 per month, that's pretty cheap for a monthly transit pa--

quote:

additional $52 monthly fee

:cripes:

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Jan posted:

Eh, $52 per month, that's pretty cheap for a monthly transit pa--

:cripes:

This additional fee actually sounds like it could be framed as discrimination based on physical disability, i.e. a pretty good case to take to the BC Human Rights Tribunal.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

They used to pay $45 a year. Now it's $52 a month, plus a $45 annual fee. But hey, the province finally raised disability benefits, after a 9 year freeze, by $77 a month, to a grand total of less than $1000 a month. Best place on earth! :iamafag:

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

This additional fee actually sounds like it could be framed as discrimination based on physical disability, i.e. a pretty good case to take to the BC Human Rights Tribunal.
UGH, what a ridiculous creation.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

rise up and overth

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

THC posted:

UGH, what a ridiculous creation.

Maybe we could just have some sort of "court", if you will, that concerns itself with the law. We could call it a Court of Law and use it to settle disputes and violations of the law, instead of setting up a parallel system with less regulation for seemingly no reason at all.

No one's ever been able to explain to my satisfaction why we need human rights tribunals when we have courts. At best, it's superfluous and wasteful, and at worst it's actually harmful.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

This may come as a shock to you, but not everyone can afford "lawyers" and "court fees". Especially those groups of people who tend to have their human rights violated. E.g.: people living on $900 a month disability checks

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

Especially since it doesn't apply to seniors who have the exact same $45 a year fee.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

THC posted:

This may come as a shock to you, but not everyone can afford "lawyers" and "court fees". Especially those groups of people who tend to have their human rights violated. E.g.: people living on $900 a month disability checks

Wouldn't it make more sense to make lawyers do a certain amount of pro bono work as a condition of being allowed to practice law, rather than setting up a separate parallel system of law that can be used to harass people who say unpopular things?

This has the advantage of providing the disadvantaged groups you speak of with actual legal counsel, improving their chances of getting a favourable result.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

This way also works, and it makes you and Ezra mad so it's better.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I am failing to see how providing disabled people with a smaller discount is discrimination against disabled people.

Is not providing them with free transit discrimination?

(I think it's still a lovely thing to do, I just don't see how this is possibly discriminatory.)

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

THC posted:

BC Human Rights Tribunals are the last thing anyone should be defending.

A noble idea, whose implementation is only a few steps from mob justice.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

They're actually fine and have produced a large number of good and just rulings. Of course it's impossible to truly right some wrongs after the fact but they give recourse to people who would otherwise have none.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

ocrumsprug posted:

BC Human Rights Tribunals are the last thing anyone should be defending.

A noble idea, whose implementation is only a few steps from mob justice.

Well, to be fair, defending lovely ideas is sort of THC's thing.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Jordan7hm posted:

I am failing to see how providing disabled people with a smaller discount is discrimination against disabled people.

Is not providing them with free transit discrimination?

(I think it's still a lovely thing to do, I just don't see how this is possibly discriminatory.)
It's a fee that literally only people with Person With Disabilities designation need to pay. As in, it discriminates against people with disabilities because they are the only group of people who have to pay the new fee.

It also says that for some people the increase will be so big they might as well just buy their bus pass from BC Transit straight up, meaning their disabled pass will most more than buying the pass normally.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It's a discount off the price of the actual transit pass. If they just said gently caress You to the disabled and remove any transit pass subsidy is that also discrimination?

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

It incentivizes people with disabilities to keep out of public, basically. Pretty gross.

PT6A posted:

Well, to be fair, defending lovely ideas is sort of THC's thing.

You voted for and defended Stephen Harper in at least two elections.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

THC posted:

It incentivizes people with disabilities to keep out of public, basically. Pretty gross.

You voted for and defended Stephen Harper in at least two elections.

He was legitimately the least bad option on both occasions. As soon as a better option presented itself, I voted for that instead.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

BC HRT once made a guy pay $10k because he kept forcing his female employees to hug him. What a lovely idea. Who could defend such a thing?!

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

PT6A posted:

He was legitimately the least bad option on both occasions. As soon as a better option presented itself, I voted for that instead.

No he was not you colossal idiot.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Pinterest Mom posted:

Michelle Rempel introduced this motion in the House.

Liberals voting in favour :negative:

Eat poo poo feds, Israel is on the list of countries I don't buy products from alongside such wonderful places as Iran and Russia and it's going to stay there.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

THC posted:

No he was not you colossal idiot.

The NDP would not have governed well, and both Liberal leaders during those elections were unquestionably awful, especially Ignatieff. I mean, I suppose you could argue Dion wasn't bad if you have a thing for wussy little Frenchmen, but I certainly do not.

Freeze
Jan 2, 2006

I've never seen it written so neatly

HookShot posted:

It's a fee that literally only people with Person With Disabilities designation need to pay. As in, it discriminates against people with disabilities because they are the only group of people who have to pay the new fee.

It also says that for some people the increase will be so big they might as well just buy their bus pass from BC Transit straight up, meaning their disabled pass will most more than buying the pass normally.

A regular monthly pass is $85/mo.

People with PWD designation will now need to pay $52/mo + $45/year. It's a pretty big increase, but it's also still a significant monthly discount. It's not discriminatory.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

PT6A posted:

The NDP would not have governed well
[citation needed]

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

yeesh and I thought Tory MPs were rude during Question Period, I applaud Mr. Eby for being silent and waiting for the jeering to quiet down since it meant we got to hear dumb poo poo like "get off your high horse"

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Freeze posted:

A regular monthly pass is $85/mo.

People with PWD designation will now need to pay $52/mo + $45/year. It's a pretty big increase, but it's also still a significant monthly discount. It's not discriminatory.

It's $85/month in Vancouver. Not everywhere. Here it's $65. In the Central Fraser Valley (Mission/Abbotsford) it's $52, meaning that they pay an extra $45 a year now over people who just buy a normal bus pass. In Duncan it's $48. The regular monthly price is lower than what disabled people are being charged.

Plus the fact that it only applies to one specific group of people who are eligible for the BC Bus Pass (and not, for example, Seniors) makes it discriminatory as well.

HookShot fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Feb 19, 2016

Panas
Nov 1, 2009

PT6A posted:

Wouldn't it make more sense to make lawyers do a certain amount of pro bono work as a condition of being allowed to practice law, rather than setting up a separate parallel system of law that can be used to harass people who say unpopular things?

This has the advantage of providing the disadvantaged groups you speak of with actual legal counsel, improving their chances of getting a favourable result.

This would never happen. So rag on human rights tribunals all you want, but this idea is pure fantasy.

Not only are lawyers the only class of people that would be able to lobby against this, even if it did pass I would like to see any government try and defend this. Do prosecutors have to do pro bono work as well? Would the government lawyers defending this legislation in the courts then have to go do some evening hours for some disadvantaged individual who may or may not be having his/her rights violated? This was a terribly thought out idea that would never be workable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Sep 9, 2022