Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.

Ague Proof posted:

"The bird let out a slow chicken cackle. It sounded like a chicken, but in her heart she knew it wasn't. In that instant, she completely understood the concept of a chicken that was not a chicken. This looked like a chicken, like most of the Mud People's chickens. But this was no chicken.

This was evil manifest."

The fact that I recognized this quote depresses me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

jivjov posted:

It has aspects of many things all at once.

It was an aspect in three parts.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Troll Bridgington posted:

:smith::hf::smith:

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

jivjov posted:

But you combine those things with the "sharp stone" comparison and the knowledge that the description is being applied to a sword to get to "dangerous"

I took it more to mean hidden danger. You might look at it and not see it as extremely dangerous or you might not even realize it's there hidden under the water but when you are crossing the river and you trip and fall onto the rock it is plenty deadly/dangerous (or if you were being pulled downstream). I can maybe accept that the different use of language doesn't make sense, going from otherworldly to natural but even then it is a magic fantasy sword, maybe it is both.

Anyway what I'm saying is this is not nearly Rothfuss's worst transgression. I think he's a total rear end and that he is highly overrated but I just don't see how this one phrase is getting so much interest.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Lyon posted:

Anyway what I'm saying is this is not nearly Rothfuss's worst transgression. I think he's a total rear end and that he is highly overrated but I just don't see how this one phrase is getting so much interest.

Because jivjov cannot let any slight against Rothfuss, no matter how minor, pass without debate.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Ornamented Death posted:

Because jivjov cannot let any slight against Rothfuss, no matter how minor, pass without debate.

I'll defend the concept of an abstract metaphor any day.

Edit: seriously though...people are going "uhhhh, water isn't deadly, stones aren't deadly; how does metaphor work" even in the face of multiple descriptions of various things the metaphor can evoke.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Feb 18, 2016

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
It is not a good metaphor, but for a different reason, and this is observable through a critical reading. It's counterproductive to latch onto a single thing (what is silence in three parts, is Kvothe a Mary Sue, is this book double-ironic subversion of heroism) and debate it back and forth, because it distracts from the larger context. Careful reading will reveal all things. In this case, the sword ends up serving as a microcosm of the deeper failure of the book, where the confusion of signifiers conceals a lack of meaning.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Troll Bridgington posted:

I think we all needed the reminder that there are, indeed, worse writers out there.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Solice Kirsk posted:

It was an aspect in three parts.

I'm sorry, but there's only two parts. The third is just Fallout 4.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
In some strange way I hope that if I ever do get my work published someone as talented and dedicated as BotL gives it a similar treatment. It seems like a great "ripping off the bandaid" way of improving your writing.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ManlyGrunting posted:

In some strange way I hope that if I ever do get my work published someone as talented and dedicated as BotL gives it a similar treatment. It seems like a great "ripping off the bandaid" way of improving your writing.

From my personal if limited experience, editors of even smaller-scale magazines make the stuff Lamps is doing here look like a mother's gentle kisses. There's are practical concerns on the production side of this - eventually a writer has to go "gently caress it, good enough" and punt a piece out into the world, warts and all - but you'd be hard-pressed to find any writing that couldn't be reamed to some degree on its first several drafts. Though hopefully katanas wouldn't be involved.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

ChickenWing posted:

I would like it to be noted that I love the poo poo out of these books, and yet it's oddly satisfying to see them eviscerated in such a fashion.

If a bloke sets up a soapbox on the street and starts talking passionately about something he seems to know a lot about, he'll draw a crowd even if he's talking complete cobblers. Passion is fun to watch be expressed.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Odette posted:

I'm sorry, but there's only two parts. The third is just Fallout 4.

This was fitting, as the third silence was the deepest and most encompassing of the three, enfolding the others in itself. It was the plain paper sound of a blank book being narrated.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
LET’S READ THE KINGKILLER CHRONICLE CRITICALLY

Part 5: “’If I seem to wander, if I seem to stray, remember that true stories seldom take the straightest way.’”

In Chapter 6, “The Price of Remembering”, we begin the story proper. Chronicler has recovered, and reveals he knows Kvothe through a mutual acquaintance. Kvothe is intent on staying in hiding, while Chronicler wants to set down his story.

quote:

“You don’t get it, do you?” Kote shook his head, stuck between amusement and exasperation. “That’s the whole point. People don’t look for you when you’re dead. Old enemies don’t try to settle scores. People don’t come asking you for stories,” he said acidly.

Chronicler refused to back down. “Other people say you’re a myth.”

“I am a myth,” Kote said easily, making an extravagant gesture. “A very special kind of myth that creates itself. The best lies about me are the ones I told.”

While the myth of Kvothe is central to the narrative, it is never properly explained, and in fact acknowledged as lies and half-truths:

quote:

The stories are saying ‘assassin’ not ‘hero.’ Kvothe the Arcane and Kvothe Kingkiller are two very different men.”

Kote stopped polishing the bar and turned his back to the room. He nodded once without looking up.

“Some are even saying that there is a new Chandrian. A fresh terror in the night. His hair as red as the blood he spills.”

Stories and storytelling are recurring motifs. Stories are told, stories hold truth, stories lie, and so on. The story of The Kingkiller Chronicle is Kvothe recounting his life and adventures. What’s odd is the hero-worship of Kvothe: every effort is made to emphasise that Kvothe is exceptional, which is why he’s the subject of the story. I’ve explained what inescapable problem this presents to the narrative, and I’ll return to it later. For now, the narration establishes that Kvothe is exceptional, even when it contradicts his present characterisation. Kvothe embodies no ideal that sets him apart: he is merely an angry and bitter man in hiding. This is not used to create interesting contrast between the man and the legend, and the narration instead states Kvothe to be exceptional as he is now:

quote:

Kote turned. “What can any of them know about her?” he asked softly. Chronicler’s breath stopped when he saw Kote’s face. The placid innkeeper’s expression was like a shattered mask. Underneath, Kote’s expression was haunted, eyes half in this world, half elsewhere, remembering.

Chronicler found himself thinking of a story he had heard. One of the many. The story told of how Kvothe had gone looking for his heart’s desire. He had to trick a demon to get it. But once it rested in his hand, he was forced to fight an angel to keep it. I believe it, Chronicler found himself thinking. Before it was just a story, but now I can believe it. This is the face of a man who has killed an angel.

This is utterly ridiculous. It's also again is in that uncomfortable middle ground between realism and fantasy, the result of an inconsistent tone and style. Robert E. Howard can handle something as ludicrous by keeping an elevated tone throughout his stories:

The People of the Black Circle posted:

‘The king dares not trample a worm in the road? Little fool, do you not realize that your royal pride is no more than a straw blown on the wind? I, who have known the kisses of the queens of Hell! ...”

It is bombastic and ridiculous, but that is the appeal of the Conan stories.

The other way Rothfuss underlines Kvothe’s sheer exceptionalism is with constant references to his physical features, primarily his eyes and hair. Sometimes changes in expressions constitute dramatic action, even.

quote:

Chronicler’s serious expression returned. “Three days is quite unusual. But then again—” Some of the self-importance seemed to leak out of him. “Then again,” he made a gesture as if to show how useless words were. “You are Kvothe.”

The man who called himself Kote looked up from behind his bottles. A full-lipped smile played about his mouth. A spark was kindling behind his eyes. He seemed taller.

“Yes, I suppose I am,” Kvothe said, and his voice had iron in it.

By the end Kvothe reluctantly agrees to tell his story and tell “truth of things”, which will take three days. In Chapter 7, “Of Beginnings and the Names of Things,” the framing story is finally giving way to the main narrative. While preparing, Kvothe reveals his mental abilities by decoding Chronicle’s system of short-hand. While this again is supposed to characterise Kvothe as exceptional, it is too mechanical to register as impressive.

quote:

“Wonderfully efficient system,” Kvothe said appreciatively. “Very logical. Did you design it yourself?”

Chronicler took a long moment before he spoke, staring at the rows of characters on the page in front of Kvothe. Finally, disregarding Kvothe’s question, Chronicler asked, “Did you really learn Tema in a day?”

Kvothe gave a faint smile and looked down at the table. “That’s an old story. I’d almost forgotten. It took a day and a half, actually. A day and a half with no sleep. Why do you ask?”

Chronicler nodded solemnly, trying to imagine the mind that could break apart his cipher in a piece of an hour. A mind that could learn a language in a day.

Kvothe has a bombastic speech to start his story. It includes his list of names, which was soundly trashed on the very first page of this thread. I don’t feel the need to add more than what a goonsay does, except for one small observation: we are never told what the story of Kvothe is about. Obviously Kvothe is the subject, but what does Kvothe represent in the larger scheme of things? Heroism? Exceptionality? Multiplicity? It's a self-referential nightmare.

This would be the most obvious moment for the story to smuggle in its programmatic statement. There is no mention of a central theme, a matter of no small concern. The closest is the implication that Kvothe restlessly moves through different roles, but this is not a theme as much a motif, and not one used in the story.

Umberto Eco’s Baudolino, on the other hand, does not hesitate to justify itself and its themes The framing story is set during the sack of Constantinople in 1204, which provides the perfect thematic impetus for a search of meaning in chaos. Baudolino, the hero, has rescued statesman and historian Niketas Choniates, and desires to tell his story as the world has fallen apart.

Baudolino posted:

“You will tell me what you remember. I receive scraps of events, fragments of actions, and I extract a story from them, woven by a design of Providence. In saving my life you have given me what little future remains to me and I will repay you by giving you back the past you have lost…”

“But maybe my story has no meaning.”

“There are no stories without a meaning. And I am one of those men who can find it even where others fail to see it. Afterwards the story becomes the book of the living, like a blaring trumpet that raises from the tomb those who have been dust for centuries…Still it takes time, you have to consider the events, arrange them in order, find the connections, even the least visible ones.

Baudolino posted:

“Master Niketas, the problem of my life is that I’ve always confused what I saw with what I wanted to see.”

“That happens to many people.”

“Yes, but with me, whenever I said I saw this, or I found this letter that says thus and so (and maybe I’d written it myself), other people seemed to have been waiting for that very thing. You know, Master Niketas, when you say something you’ve imagined, and others then say that’s exactly how it is, you end up believing it yourself. So I wandered around Frascheta and I saw saints and unicorns in the forest, and when I came upon the emperor, without knowing who he was, I spoke to him in his language. I told him that Saint Baudolino had said he would conquer Terdona. I said that to please him, but it suited him for me to say it to everybody, and especially to the delegates from Terdona, so they would be convinced that even the saints were against them. That’s why he bought me from my father. It wasn’t so much for the few coins, but because it was one less mouth to feed. And so my life was changed.”

In both quotes we can discern the theme of the story: the nature of meaning. Now I don’t actually consider Baudolino to be the greatest novel ever written despite the impression I may have given, but I wholeheartedly recommend it. And here the novel is doubly important because it reads like a deliberate response to Kingkiller. The connections will be explored more as our read-along proceeds. For now we can take another look at the quotes again. Eco’s dialogue is decidedly unrealistic, but he uses it to his advantage: the characters can speak freely of themselves and their ideas. In Kingkiller, on the other hand, characters speak fast and rough, but still need to communicate their characters, ideas, and themes. Then we reach Kvothe’s monologue, which characterises him as self-obsessed and vainglorious.

quote:

I have stolen princesses back from sleeping barrow kings. I burned down the town of Trebon. I have spent the night with Felurian and left with both my sanity and my life. I was expelled from the University at a younger age than most people are allowed in. I tread paths by moonlight that others fear to speak of during day. I have talked to Gods, loved women, and written songs that make the minstrels weep.

You may have heard of me.

ROTHFUSSIAN ATTRIBUTES

quote:

Inside the Waystone, the light fell across Chronicler’s face and touched a beginning there, a blank page waiting the first words of a story. The light flowed across the bar, scattered a thousand tiny rainbow beginnings from the colored bottles, and climbed the wall toward the sword, as if searching for one final beginning.

But when the light touched the sword there were no beginnings to be seen. In fact, the light the sword reflected was dull, burnished, and ages old. Looking at it, Chronicler remembered that though it was the beginning of a day, it was also late autumn and growing colder. The sword shone with the knowledge that dawn was a small beginning compared to the ending of a season: the ending of a year.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Dec 5, 2016

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
The participle phrases in this man's dialogue attributions are overlong and overwrought, and it discomfits me.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Oxxidation posted:

From my personal if limited experience, editors of even smaller-scale magazines make the stuff Lamps is doing here look like a mother's gentle kisses. There's are practical concerns on the production side of this - eventually a writer has to go "gently caress it, good enough" and punt a piece out into the world, warts and all - but you'd be hard-pressed to find any writing that couldn't be reamed to some degree on its first several drafts. Though hopefully katanas wouldn't be involved.

If editing is that brutal than why is Lamps having to do the job Rothfuss's editor should have done?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Oxxidation posted:

The participle phrases in this man's dialogue attributions are overlong and overwrought, and it discomfits me.

What about the adverbs?

Patrick Rothfuss posted:

“Imagine my relief,” Kote said sarcastically.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Wait. Isn't Folly supposed to be Cinder's sword and not Kvothe's? I seem to remember it being described as broken in the second book and the kid from town going off to join the army pointed out it wasn't anything like Kvothe's sword.

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Wait. Isn't Folly supposed to be Cinder's sword and not Kvothe's? I seem to remember it being described as broken in the second book and the kid from town going off to join the army pointed out it wasn't anything like Kvothe's sword.

Folly is not Caesura, the sword the Adem gave Kvothe. I don't think we know where Folly came from at this point in the story, only that it is not the same sword.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Uranium Phoenix posted:

Folly is not Caesura, the sword the Adem gave Kvothe. I don't think we know where Folly came from at this point in the story, only that it is not the same sword.

Then Rothfuss wasn't necessarily describing a katana with all those clunky metaphors. That makes it a little less nerdy at least.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
DISCLAIMER

I don't actually hate D&D.

Part 6: "My father made a face. 'Not a very good play.' I shrugged. 'They won’t know the difference.'”

In chapter 8, “Thieves, Heretics, and Whores,” the story proper begins. Kvothe begins narrating with his childhood in a band of gypsy performers. And when I say “gypsies,” I mean no slur. They are romanticised outsiders by the way of Romani people. Here we can start discussing Kingkiller's bizarre positions on class and race:

quote:

Contrary to popular belief, not all traveling performers are of the Ruh. My troupe was not some poor batch of mummers, japing at crossroads for pennies, singing for our suppers. We were court performers, Lord Greyfallow’s Men. Our arrival in most towns was more of an event than the Midwinter Pageantry and Solinade Games rolled together.

quote:

Now you have to understand that twenty pennies might be a good bit of money for some little ragamuffin troupe living hand-to-mouth. But for us it was simply insulting. He should have offered us forty to play for the evening, free use of the public hall, a good meal, and beds at the inn. The last we would graciously decline, as their beds were no doubt lousy and those in our wagons were not.

quote:

That was the hardest part of growing up Edema Ruh. We are strangers everywhere. Many folk view us as vagabonds and beggars, while others deem us little more than thieves, heretics, and whores. It’s hard to be wrongfully accused, but it’s worse when the people looking down on you are clods who have never read a book or traveled more than twenty miles from the place they were born.

Several factors combine to create this baffling portrait of “gypsies”. First, there is the traditional romantic view of the “gypsy” lifestyle as free and full of wonders. Second, there is the removal of anything to mark “gypsies” as outsider or cultural Others besides their employment as itinerant performers. Thirdly, there’s the removal of anything to mark the “gypsies” as a marginalised class, because this band is styled after an Elizabethan/Jacobean acting troupe that looks down on parochial villagers.

Rothfuss’s failure in portraying a marginalised group is that he insists on making them modern and liberal, which means removing any conflict save for between liberalism and parochialism. Kvothe’s mother is, in fact, a former noble seduced by Kvothe’s father to join the “gypsy” lifestyle! Kvothe is also insistent on how his father and mother were not married because they felt themselves free to decide about their own lives. The gypsy band also includes occasional tag-alongs. This again confuses “gypsy” communities with traveling performers. In contrast, kinship and marriage ties are hugely important parts of real Romani cultures.

Kvothe’s troupe has arrived in a town whose mayor is trying to turn them away, but Kvothe’s father threatens him with the name of their lordly patron. They triumph over the bullying mayor and are allowed to stay in the town. But the town officials also try to turn away Abenthy, or Ben, a travelling wizard who in response scares them by controlling the wind:

quote:

“Shut your clepper, you old poo poo-fire,” the constable said. He snatched at the arcanist’s arm as if he were sticking his hand into an oven. Then, when nothing happened, he smiled and grew more confident. “Don’t think I won’t knock you a good one to keep you from working any more of your devilry.”

“Well done, Tom,” the mayor said, radiating relief. “Bring him along and we’ll send someone back for the wagon.”

The constable grinned and twisted the old man’s arm. The arcanist bent at the waist and gasped a short, painful breath.

From where I hid, I saw the arcanist’s face change from anxious, to pained, to angry all in a second. I saw his mouth move.

A furious gust of wind came out of nowhere, as if a storm had suddenly burst with no warning. The wind struck the old man’s wagon and it tipped onto two wheels before slamming back down onto four. The constable staggered and fell as if he had been struck by the hand of God. Even where I hid nearly thirty feet away the wind was so strong that I was forced to take a step forward, as if I’d been pushed roughly from behind.

“Begone!” the old man shouted angrily. “Trouble me no longer! I will set fire to your blood and fill you with a fear like ice and iron!” There was something familiar about his words, but I couldn’t put my finger on it.

Both the mayor and the constable turned tail and ran, their eyes white and wild as startled horses’.

This is again inconsistent tone, where dull realism (“poo poo-fire”?) and whimsy are forced to occupy the same passage. Contrast the simple brutality of the constable bullying the wizard and the wizard’s overblown threats. Kvothe observes this and joins the wizard. Kvothe’s and Ben’s meeting is the first example of :siren:actually good writing:siren: so far:

quote:

I brought my hand out of my pocket. “Can you sell me anything for a penny?”

He seemed stuck between amusement and curiosity. “What are you looking for?”

“I’d like some lacillium.” We had performed Farien the Fair a dozen times in the last month, and it had filled my young mind with intrigue and assassination.

“Are you expecting someone to poison you?” he said, somewhat taken aback.

“Not really. But it seems to me that if you wait around until you know you need an antidote, it’s probably too late to pick one up.”

“I suppose I could sell you a penny’s worth,” he said. “That would be about a dose for a person your size. But it’s dangerous stuff in its own right. It only cures certain poisons. You can hurt yourself if you take it at the wrong time.”

“Oh,” I said. “I didn’t know that.” In the play it was touted as an infallible cure-all.

Abenthy tapped his lips thoughtfully. “Can you answer me a question in the meantime?” I nodded. “Whose troupe is that?”

“In a way it’s mine,” I said. “But in another way, it’s my father’s because he runs the show and points which way the wagons go. But it’s Baron Greyfallow’s too, because he’s our patron. We’re Lord Greyfallow’s Men.”

The old man gave me an amused look. “I’ve heard of you. Good troupe. Good reputation.”

I nodded, not seeing any point in false modesty.

This is a good back and forth - dialogue. There’s a contrast of fanciful ideas and reality, an interesting character relationship, and the clarifications serve as comedy. “Filled my young mind with intrigue and assassinations” and “touted as an infallible cure-all” are all excellent phrases. If it was trimmed to flow better, it could have come out of Jack Vance’s pen:

Cugel’s Saga posted:

The clerk returned. He started to go to his ledger, then noticed Cugel. "Did you want something?"

"I also require a few words with Soldinck," said Cugel haughtily. "Your methods are incorrect. Since I entered the chamber first, you should have dealt first with my affairs."

The clerk blinked. "The idea, I must say, has an innocent simplicity in its favor. What is your business with Soldinck?"

"I want to arrange passage by the quickest and most comfortable means to Almery."

The clerk went to study a wall map. "I see no mention of such a place."

"Almery lies below the bottom edge of the map."

[...]

The clerk led the way to the end of a hall and pushed his head through a pair of hangings. "A certain 'Cugel' is here to see you."

There was a moment of strained silence, then Soldinck's voice came in response: "Well then, Diffin: what does he want?"

"Transport to a possibly imaginary land, as best I can make out."

Kvothe, intrigued, wants to study under Ben and invites him into their troupe. It’s only later that Kvothe understands that Abenthy was wielding “the name of the wind”. So the central motif of the book is thus mastery, the ability to control one’s environment, which is at odds with the story so far. The imagery of mastery and controlling the wind imply power, authority, and hubris, while Kvothe is primarily an outsider-figure. His character exemplifies anger and bitterness, but not towards himself. This is because the book doesn’t exploit the metaphorical power of this device properly: as we learn, controlling the primal forces of nature is a skill, like short-hand. It's treated with only the bare minimum of mysticism, even if the logic behind it is quite intriguing in principle. This, again, speaks of the influence of D&D, where magic is mechanical and quantifiable. This in turn was appropriated from the Dying Earth stories of Jack Vance (hence the term “Vancian casting”), where magic becoming a series of strict, quantified rote actions was used to show how decayed and impoverished the world was.

Rather fitting, I suppose.

In Chapter 9, “Riding in the Wagon with Ben,” we’re treated to an explanation of what makes a wizard such as Ben different. Ben was trained to become a wizard at the University, which qualifies him to dismiss petty conjurers and frauds:

quote:

He took a deep breath. “Just because someone knows a trick or two doesn’t mean they’re an arcanist. They might know how to set a bone or read Eld Vintic. Maybe they even know a little sympathy. But—”

“Sympathy?” I interrupted as politely as possible.

“You’d probably call it magic,” Abenthy said reluctantly. “It’s not, really.” He shrugged. “But even knowing sympathy doesn’t make you an arcanist. A true arcanist has worked his way through the Arcanum at the University.”

[...]

Ben continued. “The people you see riding with caravans—charmers who keep food from spoiling, dowsers, fortune-tellers, toad eaters—aren’t real arcanists any more than all traveling performers are Edema Ruh. They might know a little alchemy, a little sympathy, a little medicine.” He shook his head. “But they’re not arcanists.

One might assume at first that such class pretension from an itinerant salesman is meant to characterise him as a blowhard, but Ben’s pride is not satirical. Kingkiller also treats the notion of an academic degree in sorcery very seriously. The Harry Potter series always treated its magic school with satire and whimsy. The fabled Scholomance was a hidden and forbidding place. For medieval scholars it was a tradition of fraud. But for Kingkiller, academic magic is not satirical or fantastical at all. There’s also a brief discussion of how people may be born with mutant abilities that are magic. Ben begins teaching Kvothe, who starts on his road to becoming a polymath:

quote:

This was levels beyond the simple memorization I had practiced for the stage. My mind was learning to work in different ways, becoming stronger. It felt the same way your body feels after a day of splitting wood, or swimming, or sex. You feel exhausted, languorous, and almost Godlike. This feeling was similar, except it was my intellect that was weary and expanded, languid and latently powerful. I could feel my mind starting to awaken.

I seemed to gain momentum as I progressed, like when water starts to wash away a dam made of sand. I don’t know if you understand what a geometric progression is, but that is the best way to describe it. Through it all Ben continued to teach me mental exercises that I was half convinced he constructed out of sheer meanness.

Chapter 10, “Alar and Several Stones,” is brief and shows Kvothe learning a technique to hold two beliefs simultaneously, which is necessary for practicing magic. The problem is that this completely spurious exercise is part of a novel that tries to be realistic.

quote:

He also taught me a game called Seek the Stone. The point of the game was to have one part of your mind hide an imaginary stone in an imaginary room. Then you had another, separate part of your mind try to find it.

[...]

I remember one time I looked for the stone for almost an hour before I consented to ask the other half of me where I’d hidden it, only to find I hadn’t hidden the stone at all. I had merely been waiting to see how long I would look before giving up. Have you ever been annoyed and amused with yourself at the same time? It’s an interesting feeling, to say the very least.

Another time I asked for hints and ended up jeering at myself. It’s no wonder that many arcanists you meet are a little eccentric, if not downright cracked. As Ben had said, sympathy is not for the weak of mind.

ROTHFUSSIAN WISDOM

quote:

I learned the sordid inner workings of the royal court in Modeg from a…courtesan. As my father used to say: “Call a jack a jack. Call a spade a spade. But always call a whore a lady. Their lives are hard enough, and it never hurts to be polite.”

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Dec 9, 2016

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

That Seek the Stone game sounded totally implausible to me when I read it, but if you kind of look at it like a reverse Method of loci I guess maybe somewhere, sometime, someone could potentially be able to do it with consistency. Maybe.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
botl your posts are high quality

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.

quote:

Abenthy tapped his lips thoughtfully. “Can you answer me a question in the meantime?” I nodded. “Whose troupe is that?”

Is this Rothfuss's failure to use good attribution, or did you accidentally forget to hit enter before "I nodded"?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BananaNutkins posted:

Is this Rothfuss's failure to use good attribution, or did you accidentally forget to hit enter before "I nodded"?

It's how it reads in the e-book edition I have.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

I have a paperback copy (sigh, goon secret santa) so I checked it for giggles and it's the same there too.

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007

jivjov posted:

Yeah; sharp stone beneath swift water is really evocative for me. Maybe it's just because I personally got a cut from a sharp rock in a river on one of the very few camping trips I went on as a kid

I've cut my feet on sharp rocks while getting into boats and similar a few times, and its painful sometimes, but usually you never notice until later, and its like, "oh, I'm bleeding, oh, well, salt water is meant to be good for cuts".

Maybe if he'd said, "as dangerous as a sharp rock in swift water FILLED WITH PIRANHAS!" It would feel dangerous.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

It's how it reads in the e-book edition I have.

What are your feelings on it? As a writer, it drives me crazy, it looks like a rookie mistake, and in complicated scenes it results in text that is difficult to follow.

On the other hand, it makes a paragraph look nice, and eliminates unwanted emphasis on the bland "I nodded." by having it on a line by itself.

quote:

“You’d probably call it magic,” Abenthy said reluctantly. “It’s not, really.” He shrugged. “But even knowing sympathy doesn’t make you an arcanist. A true arcanist has worked his way through the Arcanum at the University.”

The double Abenthy attribution here is also terrible to my eye. You don't need Abenthy said reluctantly AND He shrugged. They both serve the same purpose--identifying Abenthy as the speaker, and showing his dismissal of sympathy as "magic".

MartingaleJack fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Feb 22, 2016

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

I'm skipping 100 pages to ask: Is the third book coming out this year Y or N

Aquarium Gravel
Oct 21, 2004

I dun shot my dick off

Don Tacorleone posted:

Nope. There would be a significant lead time between finished book and actual delivery to store shelves, even if he were done today, and he's not.

Alternately, lawl, Rothfuss ain't writing.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

BananaNutkins posted:

What are your feelings on it? As a writer, it drives me crazy, it looks like a rookie mistake, and in complicated scenes it results in text that is difficult to follow.

On the other hand, it makes a paragraph look nice, and eliminates unwanted emphasis on the bland "I nodded." by having it on a line by itself.

I'm of the opinion that it's a valid stylistic choice because it makes the paragraph look neater and it doesn't put unwarranted emphasis on "I nodded". Sure, in a complicated scene it could be more difficult to follow, but this is not a complicated scene.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BananaNutkins posted:

What are your feelings on it?

It's a stylistic choice, but again is indicative of a larger problem rather than the problem in itself. Rothfuss emphasises certain things to visualise a scene, which smells of writing classes.

I was busy this weekend, will update later.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Don Tacorleone posted:

I tear open my loving blouse. Breasts are hiding inside as golden as an unrisen sun at the cusp of midnight. I am a switch in the wickerbox. I begin to dance. There's nothing so beautiful in all the kingdom and my curves soar up above you like the many-scored flanks of a desert canyon. Kiss me! I activate my lute. The strings are all aquiver with a melody like the staticky heartbeat of bumblebees; I smell of sun and sex. I must have sex with you thrice per day for two hundred years or the sun will disappear. Icy and swathed in shadow we'll rocket away together into the unfeeling universe. loving put your crown prince inside me. Conquer my tower! I am Potlick Randybustle and this is my novel, "Ecstasies Of The Night's Katana"; it will change your mind, and your underwear! (This is a quote from my hero's poem. With it he seduces his own self and gives birth to miniature hims unto infinity, leading inevitably to my birth and sexual awakening)

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Aquarium Gravel posted:

Nope. There would be a significant lead time between finished book and actual delivery to store shelves, even if he were done today, and he's not.

Alternately, lawl, Rothfuss ain't writing.

In general yes, but Rothfuss is a best-seller and there's a lot of people waiting on the book. When (If) the book is ever done, the publisher will almost certainly fast-track it through the production process. If a 100% finished manuscript (including all editing) were submitted for printing by, oh, say June or so, it is possible that we'd see the third book this year.

Of course, there's no way Rothfuss will even have a first draft done in that time frame, so basically you're right :v:.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

BananaNutkins posted:

Using the listener's actions as a dialogue attribution is a valid choice, but it's probably not a good idea to do so when the attribution follows a question mark, since that can be either a half-stop or a full stop to the dialogue depending on the situation. A clumsier but less syntactically vague way to phrase it would be something like,

quote:

“Can you answer me a question in the meantime?” he asked. I nodded. “Whose troupe is that?”

English: We Don't Know What We're Doing

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Part 7: "I think making you sit and listen to the rest of my story should be punishment enough."

Chapter 11, “The Binding of Iron,” is where Ben start teaching magic to Kvothe. First their teacher-student relationship is explored with some fictional history:

quote:

I ignored him as best I could. “They controlled the only plentiful and easily accessible source of metal for a great distance and soon they were the most skilled workers of those metals as well. They exploited this advantage and gained a great deal of wealth and power.

“Until this point barter was the most common method of trade. Some larger cities coined their own currency, but outside those cities the money was only worth the weight of the metal. Bars of metal were better for bartering, but full bars of metal were inconvenient to carry.”

Ben gave me his best bored-student face. The effect was only slightly inhibited by the fact that he had burned his eyebrows off again about two days ago. “You’re not going to go into the merits of representational currency, are you?”

Two things to take away from this chapter: first, despite characters talking about representational currency as part of the fantasy world, this is not satirical or humorous.

Second, like mentioned in the discussion, Rothfuss visualizes characters too much. Every gesture, shift in expression, and physical movement is described whenever possible.

quote:

“Good enough,” Ben broke in, startling me. “So these two drabs,” he held a pair out for my inspection, “Could have come from the same bar, right?”

“Actually, they probably cast them individually….” I trailed off under a glare. “Sure.”

“So there’s something still connecting them, right?” He gave me the look again.

I didn’t really agree, but knew better than to interrupt. “Right.”

I suspect this is a straitjacket of English classes or fiction writing courses. Characters must act constantly, and speak and tend to speak in short lines unless outright lecturing. There’s little room for abstracted action or monologues. This would imply a story where every minute detail was relevant, but the main story of Kingkiller is about remembrance. The story should abstract and summarise more, and focus on the themes and ideas it presents in Kvothe’s development.

Mika Waltari does exactly so in The Egyptian. Like Kingkiller and Baudolino, The Egyptian uses the same device of the protagonist recounting their life. Notice how the descriptions always underline what’s most important about the character and the situation:

The Egyptian posted:

“There will never be war again,” declared the heir to the throne. Horemheb laughed.

“The lad’s daft! War there has always been and always will be, for the nations must test each other’s worth if they are to survive.”

“All peoples are his children—all languages—all complexions—the black land and the red.” The prince was gazing straight into the sun. “I shall raise temples to him in every land, and to the princes of those lands I shall send the symbol of life—for I have seen him! Of him was I born and to him I shall return.”

“He is mad,” said Horemheb to me, shaking his head in compassion. “I can see he needs a doctor.”

After this the nature of magic is explained: the first brand of magic is named after the principle of Sympathy, coined by George Frazer in The Golden Bough. To sum it up, wizards create a mental connection between to similar objects, and can then manipulate them by affecting one of the objects. The second brand is Naming, which involves controlling something by knowing it's "true name".

quote:

I was rather disappointed. At least as disappointed as I could be in the Heart of Stone. I lifted the coin in my hand, and the coin on the table lifted itself in a similar fashion. It was magic, there was no doubt about that. But I felt rather underwhelmed. I had been expecting…I don’t know what I’d been expecting. It wasn’t this.

The intention is here is to reveal a prosaic truth behind magic by making it a scientific discipline. In contrast, Naming is “true” magic in the sense that it’s a mysterious, liminal force. Yet it’s also an academic subject, and ends up being as prosaic as Sympathy for reasons that I described in the previous part.

There’s a clumsy segue into Kvothe singing a song that offends his mother, which shows that his childhood was sometimes rough even before his family was murdered by a band of supervillains. The reason it was inserted is that it’s very likely foreshadowing about Kvothe’s mother’s identity. What really sticks out is that Rothfuss uses the words “sexual innuendo” in this novel, which Is a stretch for even satire (which Kingkiller isn’t).

quote:

It seemed mostly nonsense rhyme. But when I ran it back through my head, I saw the rather obvious sexual innuendo.

Chapter 12, “Puzzle Pieces Fitting,” involves Kvothe’s parents more. I haven’t talked about them too much, mostly because they’re uninteresting aside from the stuff I’ve mentioned. He’s a dramatist, she’s a runaway noblewoman, they have a playful relationship, and they’re called Arliden and Laurian respectively. Arliden is gathering material about the Chandrian, legendary boogeymen whose true nature is shrouded in mystery (yet which I have inferred and will reveal later on). The Chandrian are a complete mystery, a group of seven demonic figures who perpetrate atrocities seemingly at random, and without “rhyme or reason”. Superstitions about them exist for a reason, and even Ben hesitates to mention their names.

Then the scene shifts to everyone talking about how intelligent, capable, and in every way exceptional Kvothe is. Ben wants for him to go the University to get a degree in wizardry.

quote:

“If he decides to become an arcanist, I bet he’ll have a royal appointment by the time he’s twenty-four. If he gets it into his head to be a merchant I don’t doubt he’ll own half the world by the time he dies.”

My father’s brows knitted together. Ben smiled and said, “Don’t worry about the last one. He’s too curious for a merchant.”

Ben paused as if considering his next words very carefully. “He’d be accepted into the University, you know. Not for years, of course. Seventeen is about as young as they go, but I have no doubts about…”

I missed the rest of what Ben said. The University! I had come to think of it in the same way most children think of the Fae court, a mythical place reserved for dreaming about. A school the size of a small town. Ten times ten thousand books. People who would know the answers to any question I could ever ask….

Chapter Thirteen, “Interlude—Flesh with Blood Beneath,” per its name returns to the present of the Waystone Inn. It also has three revelations. Chronicler meets Bast, who he reveals to be a Fae creature by using iron. Chronicler, in turn, is also revealed to be a wizard who can control iron. This is an incredibly prosaic way to introduce supernatural elements.

Kvothe gets angry with the two, and is revealed to be twenty-five years old or at least look twenty-five.

quote:

Kvothe’s voice grew quiet, “If you do not stop this foolishness, you may both leave now. One of you will be left with a slim sliver of story, and the other can search out a new teacher. If there is one thing I will not abide, it is the folly of a willful pride.”

Something about the low intensity of Kvothe’s voice broke the stare between them. And when they turned to look at him it seemed that someone very different was standing behind the bar. The jovial innkeeper was gone, and in his place stood someone dark and fierce.

He’s so young, Chronicler marveled. He can’t be more than twenty-five. Why didn’t I see it before? He could break me in his hands like a kindling stick. How did I ever mistake him for an innkeeper, even for a moment?

If this is true, any hope for authenticity in Kingkiller is lost, because Kvothe being a figure of legend and subject of a thousand stories recounted across the world is simply at odds with him also being twenty-something.

Here, for example, Kvothe is supposed to a menacing and authoritative because of his dark and violent past, but he is also twenty-five years old. And in general Kvothe the innkeeper is written as a bitter and world-weary old man. His youth simply does not fit his characterization.

There is repeated emphasis on how dangerous Kvothe seemed for a moment:

quote:

Kvothe poured something from the green bottle into the glasses. This simple gesture changed him. He seemed to fade back into himself, until there was little left of the dark-eyed man who’d stood behind the bar a moment ago.

[...]

Chronicler watched him covertly, finding it hard to believe that this man humming to himself and cutting sausage could be the same person who had stood behind the bar just minutes ago, dark-eyed and terrible.

The dramatic action in this scene is anything but. Chronicler remains a thin character, while Bast’s true nature is revealed in a wholly prosaic manner.

quote:

As Chronicler gathered his paper and quills, Kvothe studied the angle of the sun through the window, a pensive look on his face. Eventually he turned to Bast. “How much did you manage to overhear?”

“Most of it, Reshi,” Bast smiled. “I have good ears.”

“That’s good. We don’t have time to backtrack.” He drew a deep breath. “Let’s get back to it then. Brace yourselves, the story takes a turn now. Downward. Darker. Clouds on the horizon.”

JUST ROTHFUSS THINGS

Remember this part from Part 5?

quote:

Chronicler found himself thinking of a story he had heard. One of the many. The story told of how Kvothe had gone looking for his heart’s desire. He had to trick a demon to get it. But once it rested in his hand, he was forced to fight an angel to keep it. I believe it, Chronicler found himself thinking. Before it was just a story, but now I can believe it. This is the face of a man who has killed an angel.

For some reason Rothfuss slips it in again:

quote:

Then he saw Kvothe’s eyes. They had deepened to a green so dark they were nearly black. This is who I came to see, Chronicler thought to himself, this is the man who counseled kings and walked old roads with nothing but his wit to guide him. This is the man whose name has become both praise and curse at the University.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jan 2, 2017

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

It really is hard to imagine all these cool things and foreshadowing are going to lead up to anything at all since he has managed to tell almost precisely none of it in the two giant books he has released so far. Bast did more in his short story than Kvothe did in Wise Man's Fear.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Does aggrandizing a character to this extent ever end well? I haven't seen a case this severe since the Drizzt Forgotten Realms books (I was eleven and I got them out of my dad's attic, don't judge).

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Ornamented Death posted:

In general yes, but Rothfuss is a best-seller and there's a lot of people waiting on the book. When (If) the book is ever done, the publisher will almost certainly fast-track it through the production process. If a 100% finished manuscript (including all editing) were submitted for printing by, oh, say June or so, it is possible that we'd see the third book this year.

Possibly even later. George R R Martin's publishers thought they could do everything first in 5 months and then later in 3:

quote:

We all wanted book six of A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE to come out before season six of the HBO show aired. Assuming the show would return in early April, that meant THE WINDS OF WINTER had to be published before the end of March, at the latest. For that to happen, my publishers told me, they would need the completed manuscript before the end of October.
They already had contigencies in place. They had made plans to speed up production. If I could deliver WINDS OF WINTER by the end of the year, they told me, they could still get it our before the end of March.
http://grrm.livejournal.com/465247.htm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flattened Spoon
Dec 31, 2007

quote:

If there is one thing I will not abide, it is the folly of a willful pride.

I literally lmao'd when I read this.

• Locked thread