Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

OxMan posted:

Clock Tower 1, for being a sprite sidescroller, is actually quite creepy and good. I played it a few years ago with headphones and in the dark and it actually managed to scare me a couple times. Are there any other genuinely scary 2D games? I've played a few indie puzzle games with a creepy atmosphere but nothing that gave me that OH poo poo gently caress feeling.

Some of the graphics in the game are super good for an SNES game and they probably blew the budget for those key moments:

Also related:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
What struck me most about the original Clock Tower was all the child murder. Like I realize it never got an official American release and the whole horror sound novels in Japan were pushing envelopes, but still the game opens with either an impaled young girl, a gutted young girl, or a drowned young girl. And it's not like these happened off screen or anything; it was all pretty gruesome. Then you uncover all these horrible secrets and get chased by a murderous baby man, and even beyond that it was all inspired by Italian giallo. Such a great and bizarre little title.

And yeah, it looked so good for an SNES game:
https://zippy.gfycat.com/HarmfulTangibleApisdorsatalaboriosa.mp4

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I do love Clock Tower. It feels weird playing a point and click game with a controller, but it's good enough to deal with.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I'm excited for the project scissors Scissorwalker game thing that guy is working on. I've seen people say it looks like poo poo and looks awful but to be it looks just as weird and strange and...I don't want to say campy, but I dunno a better way to describe it. It looks like it will be good. A worthy successor to clock tower PS1.

Several Goblins
Jul 30, 2006

"What the hell do they mean? Beefcake?"

chitoryu12 posted:

What's the jump scare counter at?

Pretty high, with a lot of music stings to boot. Normally I'd hate that, but the game pulls off atmosphere and tone well enough that I didn't find myself getting annoyed by them like I usually would.

It might be because the game kind of beats you up with weird poo poo at a pretty rapid pace. Strange imagery, jump scares, distorting levels and such all happen so constantly that you don't really have time to be focus on a single thing before the next one pops out.

Several Goblins fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Feb 18, 2016

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
What's the verdict on Fatal Frame 5? I really want to play it but I'm a big scaredycat who could barely get through FEAR 1. Is it just full of jumpscares or is it more ambience and mood?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Foxhound posted:

What's the verdict on Fatal Frame 5? I really want to play it but I'm a big scaredycat who could barely get through FEAR 1. Is it just full of jumpscares or is it more ambience and mood?

It's terrible. Don't get it.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I wouldn't say it's terrible, but it certainly is disappointing. The location's backstory isn't very interesting, and character motivations are nebulous at best, and idiotic at worst. Also, because they're actually free to come and go as they please from the main location of the game (a mountain), there's no real oppressive fear like some of the other FF games have given, when you're trapped in a supernatural location that simply wants you dead.

Several Goblins
Jul 30, 2006

"What the hell do they mean? Beefcake?"

Morpheus posted:

I wouldn't say it's terrible, but it certainly is disappointing. The location's backstory isn't very interesting, and character motivations are nebulous at best, and idiotic at worst. Also, because they're actually free to come and go as they please from the main location of the game (a mountain), there's no real oppressive fear like some of the other FF games have given, when you're trapped in a supernatural location that simply wants you dead.

Was Fatal Frame 5 the one that was supposed to take place in some fictionalized version of the real life suicide forest? Is it suicide mountain now or am I thinking of a different game?

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

sounds like Dreadout is a better Fatal Frame game than Fatal Frame 5

play Dreadout it's very good and the Indonesian ghosts and ghouls are creepy and new

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Cowman posted:

sounds like Dreadout is a better Fatal Frame game than Fatal Frame 5

play Dreadout it's very good and the Indonesian ghosts and ghouls are creepy and new

Sweet Jesus no, DreadOut is terrible. They took an amazing premise and setting and did absolutely nothing with it.

If anything, play the free demo. That's the best part of the game. It's all downhill from there.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

chitoryu12 posted:

What's the jump scare counter at?

I played it for about an hour yesterday but just gave up on it and uninstalled.

The game is literally just walking from one jumpscare to the next through admittedly gorgeous scenery. I became pretty much completely immune to them after about five minutes so they just seemed silly after that.

Plus the small bit of voice acting is laughably poo poo. The entire thing plays like some 15 year olds lovely Unity powered Slenderman knock off but with better visuals.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Zombie Samurai posted:

Sweet Jesus no, DreadOut is terrible. They took an amazing premise and setting and did absolutely nothing with it.

If anything, play the free demo. That's the best part of the game. It's all downhill from there.

They've updated it and it's really a very good and creepy game.

although in Act I when it goes to night don't go into the school go wander the town a bunch. That's where the really cool poo poo is and it's very easy to miss it.

Cowman fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Feb 18, 2016

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Cowman posted:

although in Act I when it goes to night don't go into the school go wander the town a bunch. That's where the really cool poo poo is and it's very easy to miss it.
I don't know; the last thing I had was that they massively downgraded the graphics because people were having troubles running the game and that they didn't do anything about super cheap encounters (like with the boss fight in the closet). I mean it's good they decided to include the early demo as the prologue since that was pretty fun to play through, but when I played through Act 1 before it was not that fun of an experience.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Cowman posted:

I played it just last October, and while the atmosphere is great, the gameplay is terrible. The school is hall after hall of empty rooms, there are virtually no items to find, and the two enemies I ran into were an immortal pig thing and a ghost you have to photograph from the back but she can phase through walls in narrow corridors. There's also no depth to the combat, not even a single feature copied from Fatal Frame, just find the weak point and clickclickclick until dead.

I might actually give it another try to see what's in the town, but holy hell that's stupid. When night falls you're right in front of the school and basically everyone and everything is telling you to get into the school right now, and you can't leave once you enter.

Niggurath posted:

I don't know; the last thing I had was that they massively downgraded the graphics because people were having troubles running the game and that they didn't do anything about super cheap encounters (like with the boss fight in the closet). I mean it's good they decided to include the early demo as the prologue since that was pretty fun to play through, but when I played through Act 1 before it was not that fun of an experience.

If you can believe it, they brought the hi-res textures back about two weeks ago. Only for Act 1, though.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Pretty much the only good Unity horror game is Sylvio and even that has its flaws. Still neat though and it has ambition that it does a solid job fulfilling.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Dread out fortunately has a watchable stream on shesellsheshells YouTube page, at least one nonscarecam option there

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Well, I got and tried the trial version of FF5. And it was pretty fun. Somewhat interesting story and setting, pretty good combat and moderately spooky (which suits me fine). My biggest gripes in the demo were probably the sluggish tank controls out of combat and the fact that every woman looks like dead or alive character. I might get the full game unlock.

Edit: That doll shrine can go screw itself though. gently caress I hate dolls.

Foxhound fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Feb 18, 2016

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Lol at konami killing silent hills when it would of brought back one of their titles.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Tenzarin posted:

Lol at konami killing silent hills when it would of brought back one of their titles.
Nah, it's actually a better idea as a business to make money rather than throwing it at a dead franchise or Kojima.

Zombie Samurai posted:

If you can believe it, they brought the hi-res textures back about two weeks ago. Only for Act 1, though.
That's actually pretty cool; I didn't realize they did that since I haven't touched the game in like half a year or so.

And yeah, there's some pretty bizarre stuff waiting out in the town at night like the motorcycle ghost. But yeah, outside of achievements, it's never really hinted that there's stuff out there to find.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Niggurath posted:

Nah, it's actually a better idea as a business to make money rather than throwing it at a dead franchise or Kojima.

Kojima, the guy who made an undisputed hit AAA game last year, and Silent Hill, that dead franchise that quite a few people would like to see Kojima's sequel to?

Edit: You know, you CAN just say "I don't like it" instead of pretending that nope nope, nothing here, only fools would do that.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I dunno how you call Silent Hill a dead franchise after the incredible blow-up that P.T. had, I mean yeah I guess you can say it now because Konami are shitheads, but a whole, whole, hell of a lot of people were suddenly interested in Silent Hill(s) who'd never even played the old games before.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

^^^^^^^
While I would say there was quite a bit of interest in PT, I wouldn't say that's really interest in Silent Hill as a franchise. PT could easily have just been a horror game headed by Kojima and Del Toro, and it would have garnered attention.

Skyscraper posted:

Kojima, the guy who made an undisputed hit AAA game last year, and Silent Hill, that dead franchise that quite a few people would like to see Kojima's sequel to?

Edit: You know, you CAN just say "I don't like it" instead of pretending that nope nope, nothing here, only fools would do that.
It's not that it's a case me not liking something, it's the fact that Kojima is well known for not being easy to work with and normally goes over budget and has to be massively reined in to keep things running on schedule. And while a petition showing people would definitely be interested in Kojima working on this magical Silent Hill they were promised, it doesn't mean the franchise isn't dead.

I mean, the last one to come out was Downpour or Book of Shadows, and both of those were massive failures commercially and generally considered not that great by the population at large. Before that you had Shattered Memories or Homecoming, and that 6 to 8 years ago, and yet again those were neither well received by critics or most fans. When a franchise hasn't had a successful game in about eight years and the primary dev controlling the IP would rather use it for gambling to make a quick buck, then those are pretty indicative that the franchise is dead.

discworld is all I read fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Feb 18, 2016

al-azad
May 28, 2009

There's zero doubt in my mind Silent Hills would have been a big success but also Konami is one of I think two Japanese publishers that didn't completely poo poo the bed in 2015. They're doing the best thing for their bottom line. gently caress 'em, but they're not in the hole.

Now Kojima is cock teasing everyone by posing with Reedus and del Toro. If Sony wants to take a crack at that by all means do so. Until Dawn was a bit of a sleeper hit and I could do with some more PlayStation spooky games.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I thought Toro was done with video games though

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Niggurath posted:

^^^^^^^
While I would say there was quite a bit of interest in PT, I wouldn't say that's really interest in Silent Hill as a franchise. PT could easily have just been a horror game headed by Kojima and Del Toro, and it would have garnered attention.
Right, but it wasn't, it was a Silent Hill property, and that's just what we were talking about. You're right, Silent Hill is dead, except for this part where it isn't.

Niggurath posted:

It's not that it's a case me not liking something, it's the fact that Kojima is well known for not being easy to work with and normally goes over budget and has to be massively reined in to keep things running on schedule. And while a petition showing people would definitely be interested in Kojima working on this magical Silent Hill they were promised, it doesn't mean the franchise isn't dead.
So hard to work with that his bosses would rather scrap PT completely and take him off as much MGSV material as they could. That said, he turns crazy huge budgets into hits, unlike certain other AAA titles I could name. If you don't think MGSV made its budget back, I'm interested to hear it, but right now I don't believe it.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

voltcatfish posted:

I thought Toro was done with video games though
In the keynote he said he'd be down to work with Kojima. They're best friends. They trade toys, sing karaoke. The sexual tension between them is really high.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Butt Ghost posted:

In the keynote he said he'd be down to work with Kojima. They're best friends. They trade toys, sing karaoke. The sexual tension between them is really high.

it helps that if he finally did work with Kojima again, they have the safety of being directly funded largely by Sony this time. The chances that this current project gets pulled like all the other games del Toro wanted to do is probably much, much smaller.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Skyscraper posted:

Right, but it wasn't, it was a Silent Hill property, and that's just what we were talking about. You're right, Silent Hill is dead, except for this part where it isn't.
So hard to work with that his bosses would rather scrap PT completely and take him off as much MGSV material as they could. That said, he turns crazy huge budgets into hits, unlike certain other AAA titles I could name. If you don't think MGSV made its budget back, I'm interested to hear it, but right now I don't believe it.
Yeah, I'm just wrong; sorry for my misunderstanding on it.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
The ending to SOMA is so excellent. It kinda stayed with me for a while, it was just such a great mixture of despair, bittersweetness, and unsure hope.
That shot of the earth, man...and the satellite...a good ending.
Can't wait to see what the team pulls out for us next

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

Accordion Man posted:

Pretty much the only good Unity horror game is Sylvio and even that has its flaws. Still neat though and it has ambition that it does a solid job fulfilling.

Layers of Fear is Unity! It's got its flaws, too, of course. (mild gameplay spoilers) It pulls the same tricks way too many times, to the point where instead of being unsettled you're just left mildly exasperated. A lot of the scares are just kind of there, too-- the full release significantly changed the order of a lot of events to absolutely no effect story-wise. Just creepy stuff happening for the sake of creepy stuff happening, which in a linear story-based game doesn't sit right with me. That said, it's still a really good game. Plus it scratches the PT itch, just a little bit :v:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Been meaning to get SOMA for a while, but the OH GOD WHAT THE WHAT IS HAPPENING WHAT barks from the protagonist really grated on me in promotional stuff they put out. Is it toned down in the actual product?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

poptart_fairy posted:

Been meaning to get SOMA for a while, but the OH GOD WHAT THE WHAT IS HAPPENING WHAT barks from the protagonist really grated on me in promotional stuff they put out. Is it toned down in the actual product?

It's worse.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Zombie Samurai posted:

I played it just last October, and while the atmosphere is great, the gameplay is terrible. The school is hall after hall of empty rooms, there are virtually no items to find, and the two enemies I ran into were an immortal pig thing and a ghost you have to photograph from the back but she can phase through walls in narrow corridors. There's also no depth to the combat, not even a single feature copied from Fatal Frame, just find the weak point and clickclickclick until dead.

I might actually give it another try to see what's in the town, but holy hell that's stupid. When night falls you're right in front of the school and basically everyone and everything is telling you to get into the school right now, and you can't leave once you enter.

Act 2 is really a lot better. There's spots that are weak but as a whole the game is really very good although extremely rough.

Edit: The whole town thing is really dumb because there's no indication.

Cowman fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Feb 20, 2016

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

poptart_fairy posted:

SOMA has elements of free choice (not sure how much they pan out because I never finished the game) and a protagonist with a distinct personality. Much like games with voiced protagonists and dialogue trees, the things you choose to do will have him reacting or rationalizing in ways counter to what you intended. And he will always react. Always.

Oxxidation posted:

It's worse.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Oxxidation posted:

It's worse.

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

SOMA has elements of free choice (not sure how much they pan out because I never finished the game) and a protagonist with a distinct personality. Much like games with voiced protagonists and dialogue trees, the things you choose to do will have him reacting or rationalizing in ways counter to what you intended. And he will always react. Always.

Ick. Nothing kills my ~immersion~ in horror games than the protagonist freaking out on my behalf. More limited stuff such as Ripley's breathing in Isolation, or Daniel from Amnesia, but anything more than that quickly grates.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I don't remember the protagonist in SOMA being annoying fwiw. He's a guy and he reacts to some stuff but he doesn't yell for a minute or anything. People have complaints when poo poo goes down and your character never reacts to anything as well. I say play the game

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
He's probably the most irritating horror protagonist I've ever dealt with, and probably makes my top 10 list of worst protagonists period, if I had one of those.

I'm uniquely biased against that game, though, very much an outlier.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I want a game where the first thing your character says is that he really has to take a poo poo and every five minutes or so, independent of anything happening in the game, he farts or wonders where a toilet is or repeats that he really has to poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Simon only really talks to other entities and not to himself in SOMA, so I wouldn't really worry about that.

The game has a lot of dialogue and Simon is a fraction of it.