Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I RMA'ed a ton of those greens over the years and the reds don't seem to be much better. These are all in Synology NAS's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hi Jinx
Feb 12, 2016

Bob Morales posted:

I RMA'ed a ton of those greens over the years and the reds don't seem to be much better. These are all in Synology NAS's

Greens - oh man, I had 4 out of 8 fail on me when I was upgrading my NAS. I know they're not for RAID arrays, but I was trying to be smart with WDTLER - and frankly if the NAS OS is tolerant enough, which it is, it shouldn't matter. (Also Synology here.)

I returned them and got reds instead, they ended up being great. Cheaper than blacks and fast enough.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I've had greens going for 2 years in my always on HTPC/Torrent/Emby Windows box. They've been fine.

All "X hard drive brand/model is bad" is anecdotal and stupid.

Hi Jinx
Feb 12, 2016

LmaoTheKid posted:

All "X hard drive brand/model is bad" is anecdotal and stupid.

Depends on the sample size. Same goes for "X hard drive brand/model is good" by the way. Even more so because you'd be trying to argue a negative in that they won't break.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Hi Jinx posted:

Depends on the sample size. Same goes for "X hard drive brand/model is good" by the way. Even more so because you'd be trying to argue a negative in that they won't break.

I forgot to add the good part. Agreed.

Just buy something in your price range with a decent warranty. And if you have an Amex, use that because it doubles it. And have backups.

IMO the "safest" external portable storage is a SSD in an enclosure but if you need gobs of space that's going to cost a shitload.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Jealous Cow posted:

Was this at the Apple Store in Short Pump?

It was, actually. When we came back to pick up the iPhone they had some issue with the building or their POS system and were closing down the store, but that all happened after my appointment.

smackfu posted:

Wait, why should people ahead of him affect how long the fix for his issue takes? Does Apple not have the concept of future service appointments like a car mechanic?

And here's the real problem. I should be able to schedule this ahead of time for same-day service. At the least they should have a tech dedicated to the quick issues so that twenty logic board swaps don't delay a battery swap. But no, I'm the rear end in a top hat for expecting better from Apple.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Luceo posted:

It was, actually.

Did you also go in for an iphone repair?

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

I will be there to receive the new mind

LmaoTheKid posted:

I forgot to add the good part. Agreed.

Just buy something in your price range with a decent warranty. And if you have an Amex, use that because it doubles it. And have backups.

IMO the "safest" external portable storage is a SSD in an enclosure but if you need gobs of space that's going to cost a shitload.

My brother wound up getting another Seagate. Said it was the best-reviewed option in his price range. :shrug:

Overall it seems like things haven't changed much since I last looked at this five-ish years ago. Thanks for the input though dudes.

Also, the data journalist in me finds Backblaze's "stats" rather...interesting.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Argali posted:

Also, the data journalist in me finds Backblaze's "stats" rather...interesting.

That image is pretty easy to take out of context. It's from an article they wrote that analyzed one year (or maybe more) of all of the drives they used in their datacenters, which encompassed maybe a few dozen model numbers across brands. IIRC, they were transparent about a particular Seagate model number or manufacturer plant being responsible for the super high failure rate on the offending drives.

Not to defend Seagate, but I've never had a problem with them. I've never had a problem with any hard drive, knock on wood. It's for that reason that I'm a WD guy who also owns hard drives from other brands.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Bob Morales posted:

That graph is misleading. It doesn't show how terrible the non-4TB Seagate drives are

Also it only takes in to account 3.5" hard drives.

As far as my personal experience:

I don't know if WD just makes lovely enclosures but almost every loving 3.5" MyBook I have ran into dies. And you can almost always directly connect the drive to another generic enclosure or computer and it will work to get your data off.

I personally go with 2.5" external drives from Toshiba or Hitachi. Sure, they only got up to 2TB but they just seem much more durable, the drive and the enclosure. Plus you don't need an external power supply, and they're very small. I haven't had one of these fail yet.

afaik it's good to note there's a bit of selection bias in these graphs since backblaze pretty much just use whatever drives are available regardless of quality and rely on redundancy to keep things operational. hence a good portion of the WD and seagate bars are likely to be cheap models or ripped straight out of those lovely mybook things, whereas HGST seem to stick to more high end enterprise drives with less of a consumer presence so they're naturally going to have better failure rates when present.

enojy posted:

That image is pretty easy to take out of context. It's from an article they wrote that analyzed one year (or maybe more) of all of the drives they used in their datacenters, which encompassed maybe a few dozen model numbers across brands. IIRC, they were transparent about a particular Seagate model number or manufacturer plant being responsible for the super high failure rate on the offending drives.

Not to defend Seagate, but I've never had a problem with them. I've never had a problem with any hard drive, knock on wood. It's for that reason that I'm a WD guy who also owns hard drives from other brands.

yeah that graph covers pretty much the worst case scenario because of the taiwan floods that knocked out a good portion of HDD production

Luceo posted:

And here's the real problem. I should be able to schedule this ahead of time for same-day service. At the least they should have a tech dedicated to the quick issues so that twenty logic board swaps don't delay a battery swap. But no, I'm the rear end in a top hat for expecting better from Apple.

nah, you're the rear end in a top hat because your posts make you come across like a real rear end in a top hat. i'm sure you're very personable irl tho

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Feb 15, 2016

Rexim
Jun 2, 2006

I wants flies in on a dragons, okay?

Jealous Cow posted:

Did you also go in for an iphone repair?

Did you know where Luceo lives beforehand or does the Short Pump store have some sort of reputation?

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Generic Monk posted:

nah, you're the rear end in a top hat because your posts make you come across like a real rear end in a top hat. i'm sure you're very personable irl tho

I came to the thread to bitch about Apple, so yeah, maybe my posts are harsh because I think they have real issues developing, and not just about this. However, my bitching in this thread was not the same language or tone I used at the store, and I really think that my bitching online meaning that I was obviously a complete dick in person is an unfair conclusion to draw. Given the tendency of these threads to meet any criticism of Apple with scorn, I should have known that someone would defend this situation as being perfectly reasonable.

Rexim posted:

Did you know where Luceo lives beforehand or does the Short Pump store have some sort of reputation?

He is going to make some claim to being at the store last night, likely followed by an attestation that I was a dick to the employees. Perhaps he will claim to actually be one of the employees, and tell us how they all had a good laugh about that rear end in a top hat who didn't understand how fixing computers works, oh ho ho, what an idiot. :smug: edit: If he does do this, I still maintain that I was polite, never raised my voice or used profanity, although I did express my displeasure with Apple at the end. Thought about it a bit, asked for a manager, explained the situation politely and when I got the same answer, thanked him for his time and said good night. What a dick!

To be honest, I feel sorry for the employees there. Working retail sucks, and it must suck even more when your company doesn't give you the resources to help people in a reasonable amount of time, not to mention actually having to be in an Apple store all day in that human morass. Repair must suck in that situation too, because it'd have to be just computer after computer all day, a never ending stream of logic boards and displays. Apple absolutely needs more staff at the Short Pump store if they're that backed up, and a way to schedule service, not just diagnosis, in advance.

The end of the story was that I called the Potomac Town Center store, figuring that since the DC area has eight Apple stores for not eight times the population of Richmond, that it might be less crowded in the outskirts like Woodbridge. I finally got the head repair guy on the line, who confirmed having a battery in stock and told me he could do it today. Drove up there and poo poo got handled in like ten minutes.

Luceo fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Feb 15, 2016

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
A little over a week ago I was in that store waiting on a repair. A guy came in at 8:55 and said a lot of things to the guy checking in Genius Bar appointments that sound very similar to this guy. He was your typical "do what I say I'm the customer" type. Didn't necessarily yell but made retarded arguments like "I don't care if you close in 5 minutes you're going to fix this i drove an hour down here this is terrible customer service".

If that wasn't you I saw I hate to think there's two dipshits they have to deal with around here.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Did people clap when he left with Albert Einstein?

FFS this isn't the STDH thread. People are dicks, sometimes it's the patron sometimes it's the employee. Move on, this is a hardware thread, not a retail stories thread.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Apple's service is pretty drat good compared to... anyone else. Really, try to get ANYTHING done at Best Buy it's a nightmare every time I go in there with any minor problem. Just getting them to look up the extended warranty status I purchased takes hours.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Yeah, to be fair, being able to walk into a store and get even a (pessimistic) 3-5 day service quote, done locally with the parts in stock, is pretty drat good service in the consumer electronics world.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
Back blaze stats are a bit weird because they do buy the cheapest possible drives in batches, so if a particular model has a temporary bad run for example that would inflate their stats a bunch, eg those Seagate 3TB drives.

Really the best thing to do is realize that all drives of all sorts can suffer unexpected catastrophic failure and back up your data accordingly.

Hi Jinx
Feb 12, 2016

MrBond posted:

Really the best thing to do is realize that all drives of all sorts can suffer unexpected catastrophic failure and back up your data accordingly.

A mean time to data loss calculator can be pretty useful. Something like this:

http://www.servethehome.com/raid-calculator/raid-reliability-calculator-simple-mttdl-model/

There are more complex versions of this out there if you google a bit.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I did a thing

The SSD is the MacOS 9 boot disk :D

Chris Knight fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Feb 15, 2016

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Chris Knight posted:

I did a thing

Oh yeah?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

BackBlaze just put up a new blog post regarding HD reliability

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-reliability-q4-2015/

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

MrBond posted:

Back blaze stats are a bit weird because they do buy the cheapest possible drives in batches, so if a particular model has a temporary bad run for example that would inflate their stats a bunch, eg those Seagate 3TB drives.

Also BackBlaze doesn't test 2.5" externals at all which was the guy's question to begin with so I'm not sure why these graphs are being thrown around.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Chris Knight posted:

I did a thing

The SSD is the MacOS 9 boot disk :D

Good job, but was this a clone or a fresh install? I keep meaning to do this for my Digital Audio G4/533..

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

I will be there to receive the new mind
I was looking at the latest Sweetwater catalog today and it reminded me - anyone ever use a Glyph external drive? They're pricier but seem to be generally well-reviewed.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I need to start thinking about replacing my 2010 27" i7 iMac and hoping some of you guys who follow the hardware closer than I do might be able to confirm/deny some stuff...

1. I know it's never a certainty, but it's fairly likely that the Summer will bring a new 5K iMac, yeah? If not, are people generally happy with the latest 5K machines?
2. Is there a general timespan between model release and it entering the Refurb market, or is it just a case of refreshing until they start appearing?
3. The ever fun storage decision... is it just a case of get the biggest flash drive you can afford, or are the Fusion drives generally pretty decent? I'll have a 2TB USB3 external drive with my iTunes library (about 300gb) and my Lightroom catalogs (similar in size) from my old machine and presume I should just keep things as they are, and will probably buy a portable Thunderbolt hard drive for the photo side for the future so I can pair it with my 2011 MBA also.
4. Anyone know if upgrading the graphics card makes a significant different when using Lightroom or Photoshop? Nothing heavy layer wise at the moment, but my images are 24MP so quite large, and I'm expecting my library to grow pretty quickly when I'm settled.

Thanks!

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I'm in the market to buy a new MBP but I am planning on waiting until the new models are released. I have read rumors that more than likely they will be announced during WWDC in June 2016. My question is, in the past, how fast has Apple had the new laptops for sale after the announcement?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

5k iMac is a beast. I Use one in work every day and I'd never use anything else that's out right now when given a choice

I Am Crake
Mar 31, 2010

There is so much beautiful in the world if you look around. You are only looking at the dirt under your feet, Jimmy. It's not good for you.

Busy Bee posted:

I'm in the market to buy a new MBP but I am planning on waiting until the new models are released. I have read rumors that more than likely they will be announced during WWDC in June 2016. My question is, in the past, how fast has Apple had the new laptops for sale after the announcement?

I'm in the same boat. MacRumors speculates March or June. I believe the Retina Macbook was available almost instantly after they announced it. Take what I say with a grain of salt though, all of this information comes with words like "potentially, likely, may be planning to". Check out what they have to say at:
http://www.macrumors.com/roundup/macbook-pro/

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

I Am Crake posted:

I'm in the same boat. MacRumors speculates March or June. I believe the Retina Macbook was available almost instantly after they announced it. Take what I say with a grain of salt though, all of this information comes with words like "potentially, likely, may be planning to". Check out what they have to say at:

The Retina Macbook Pros are usually available the day after they announce a spec bump, though it's not fully clear whether this year's will be a regular spec bump to the new Intel chips or more of a redesign. They'll more than likely at least get USB-C, but if that's the only major change I can't see a huge delay.

The Retina Macbook launched last year was the most botched launch Apple have ever done, and certainly wasn't available almost instantly. There was a 6 week lead time on orders made immediately after the announcement, and for a month there weren't even any display models anywhere in Europe, let alone any to buy.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Quantum of Phallus posted:

5k iMac is a beast. I Use one in work every day and I'd never use anything else that's out right now when given a choice

These are the words I like to read. I know there were some issues with Lightroom (Adobe, so go figure) when the model first came out, but it's been long enough now that they really should have their poo poo together. And the Metal demos they showed off last year for Premiere and Illustrator? Yes please.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

My friend says "my computer is being slow..." and I ask her for some details.

"LITERALLY. DIED." That OS X is 5 years old and that hard drive should be in a museum. RAM is eh. So now we get to go shopping!

What would you guys recommend on a budget? When I'm kitting out my own stuff I usually go for, you know, reputable brand RAM and the best reviewed SSD, but I'm not sure this warrants her spending more if she won't even notice.

The funny thing is, if she only noticed it getting slow now, imagine how blown away she's going to be coming into 2016 hardware.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

EL BROMANCE posted:

I need to start thinking about replacing my 2010 27" i7 iMac and hoping some of you guys who follow the hardware closer than I do might be able to confirm/deny some stuff...

1. I know it's never a certainty, but it's fairly likely that the Summer will bring a new 5K iMac, yeah? If not, are people generally happy with the latest 5K machines?
2. Is there a general timespan between model release and it entering the Refurb market, or is it just a case of refreshing until they start appearing?
3. The ever fun storage decision... is it just a case of get the biggest flash drive you can afford, or are the Fusion drives generally pretty decent? I'll have a 2TB USB3 external drive with my iTunes library (about 300gb) and my Lightroom catalogs (similar in size) from my old machine and presume I should just keep things as they are, and will probably buy a portable Thunderbolt hard drive for the photo side for the future so I can pair it with my 2011 MBA also.
4. Anyone know if upgrading the graphics card makes a significant different when using Lightroom or Photoshop? Nothing heavy layer wise at the moment, but my images are 24MP so quite large, and I'm expecting my library to grow pretty quickly when I'm settled.

Thanks!

Lightroom and Photoshop performance are more tied to CPU and having enough RAM. There are some features that use the GPU, but you don't need a high-end card to take advantage of those features.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Pivo posted:

the best reviewed SSD, but I'm not sure this warrants her spending more if she won't even notice.

If she's stuck using Snow Leopard, don't forget to use Trim Enabler after you put in the SSD.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Housh posted:

If she's stuck using Snow Leopard, don't forget to use Trim Enabler after you put in the SSD.

Why stuck? It should run El Cap fine.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Lightroom and Photoshop performance are more tied to CPU and having enough RAM. There are some features that use the GPU, but you don't need a high-end card to take advantage of those features.

Yeah, I don't know much about PS to be honest as I don't use it much but LR is stepping out into the world of GPU and not doing a great job of it to the point where it can be faster if you turn off the hardware acceleration. If it's unlikely the extra graphics power will ever be useful even a few years down the line when they've revamped it, then I'll skimp I think. I just don't want to be locked into something I know the user can't upgrade themselves.

I take it the extra GPU options are for people doing lots of stuff in FCPX or 3D animation tools then? I'm guessing it's not there specifically for games, even if they can make use of it.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
I use ps way more than lr but I find ps using all sorts of gpu accelerated features and I suspect that lr is the same. Anything generative - filters, content aware fill, etc - will benefit from the gpu. I find it's also helpful with zooming in and out.

Having said that most of those features are totally fine even on weak gpus; just wanted to provide some context.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Still love my 2015 rmbp 15. Battery life could be better, seems like normal web surfing usage I get around 4-5 hours, kind of what I expected I guess. Sometimes I'm just pretty shocked at how off the battery estimate is even when I've got my display at half brightness, no keyboard leds, and just browsing the internet. I figure this is because I am an 'aggressive browser', meaning I like to click things a lot. I bet those in house apple safari only tests sit on webpages for a few minutes to simulate reading.

The thing though, and this is totally a non problem, I just want to see if anybody else has noticed it. Occasionally, and I mean, I think I'm going insane, I notice a slight 'click' in the force trackpad. What does this mean? If I just lightly tap, not click, there is this 'tick', like if you take your fingernail and just ever so lightly tapped on wood. It's just enough to be noticeable. Right now, I can't even get it to happen. I think it's humidity based or something. Am I loving nuts???

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

EL BROMANCE posted:

Thanks!

3. Definitely get whatever SSD you can afford and use your external.

ethanol posted:

The thing though, and this is totally a non problem, I just want to see if anybody else has noticed it. Occasionally, and I mean, I think I'm going insane, I notice a slight 'click' in the force trackpad. What does this mean? If I just lightly tap, not click, there is this 'tick', like if you take your fingernail and just ever so lightly tapped on wood. It's just enough to be noticeable. Right now, I can't even get it to happen. I think it's humidity based or something. Am I loving nuts???

Isn't that the haptics?

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

I Am Crake posted:

Awesome, well I hope I can grab a 13" RMBP by July at the latest.... My mid-2009 MBP is still going strong but I really want to upgrade!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

The Milkman posted:

Isn't that the haptics?

It's not, note that I am referring to just lightly tapping the pad, not a full click, and there is no haptic response like a full click. It also doesn't feel at all haptic, although it might have something to with how the haptic motor rests in its off state sometimes.. perhaps sometimes it has an ever so slight give to it. I'm not entirely sure about that though, the haptic motor is very simple and I don't think it is capable of producing the little tick I am referring to even if it 'settled in the wrong position'. It feels more like the entire glass pad just sometimes has a .01 mm give to it which gives a notable 'tick'. which is why I think it might be humidity/temp based

ethanol fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Feb 19, 2016