Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The entire point of the EUWTD is that it applies to everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Puntification posted:

I honestly couldn't tell you the last time I heard the word gaga and it wasn't about the pop star or the queen song.

It is about her. It's about Bowie's son making fun of the artist by referring to her name's dictionary definition, and the Graun writer is discussing the slight on the mentally ill he was doing in the process.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

thespaceinvader posted:

private members' bill

Oh god, this is definitely going through. That's why burkas are banned

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Well, specifically she's going on a little thought piece about how casually we'd say "looks like the dementia's setting in early!" if someone forgets what they were talking about, whereas you wouldn't say "hope it's not cancer!" if someone complains about indigestion.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Green Wing posted:

Christopher Chope
Why is he not referred to as Chip Chope?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Goons, it will soon be Question Time.

quote:

David Dimbleby presents from Stratford-upon-Avon. Panellists include Conservative international development secretary Justine Greening, Labour's shadow energy secretary Lisa Nandy, the SNP's John Nicolson, broadcaster June Sarpong and businessman and former Dragon Theo Paphitis.

Only one Tory bastard on the panel! Unless her off T4 is one too. Come join us in #ukgoons on synirc.

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

It's the only word they know, but it's such a big word for a tiny creature

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Oh god, this is definitely going through. That's why burkas are banned

Every time I see an article about how a PMB exists and will definitely become law I have to stop myself sending a horrible little pedantic email, but I didn't manage to stop myself when there were articles about how the Ten Minute Rule motion that gave leave to bring in a bill about an English National Anthem meant that we would definitely have one.

It wasn't even a piddling Friday second reading debate urrrrgh we need civics lessons in schools,

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Tesseraction posted:

It is about her. It's about Bowie's son making fun of the artist by referring to her name's dictionary definition, and the Graun writer is discussing the slight on the mentally ill he was doing in the process.

Wait, it's an actual headline? I thought TinTower had just used some sort of wacky mock Grauniad headline generator app & had a hearty chuckle to myself. Because while yes, I do feel that more needs to be done to reduce stigmatisation of mental illness, I don't think the use of a word in a pun on some recording artists name is doing all that much to stoke up discrimination towards the mentally ill. Especially considering nobody has used the word gaga as a slur for the mentally ill in decades.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tesseraction posted:

Well, specifically she's going on a little thought piece about how casually we'd say "looks like the dementia's setting in early!" if someone forgets what they were talking about, whereas you wouldn't say "hope it's not cancer!" if someone complains about indigestion.

I always kind of figured that was because we'll all probably get dementia so might as well laugh about it.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

Wait, it's an actual headline? I thought TinTower had just used some sort of wacky mock Grauniad headline generator app & had a hearty chuckle to myself. Because while yes, I do feel that more needs to be done to reduce stigmatisation of mental illness, I don't think the use of a word in a pun on some recording artists name is doing all that much to stoke up discrimination towards the mentally ill. Especially considering nobody has used the word gaga as a slur for the mentally ill in decades.

Eh, the article's not awful. Remember that the Graun writers don't get to pick their headlines unless there's a reason (e.g. Stewart Lee's comparison of him and Corbyn to Jesus, which in the article he hopes isn't quoted in the headline out of context)

Here it is http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/feb/18/gaga-david-bowie-ill-disenfranchised-dementia

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

The Abortion Act 1967 started off as a Private Member's Bill, oddly enough.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

Must remember to do this in future.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Well I like doing the run downs of the guests soo.....

Justine Greening.
Was one Secretary for Transport but got reshuffled probably because she opposed a Heathrow Third Runway. She likes to appeal to the working class in the most cringe inducingly awful ways.

quote:

"How can Britain's corporate world do a systemically better job of overall consistently pulling in and then pulling through the talent of young people we have who start as rough diamonds, but can be immensely successful if they get the right opportunities if they are spotted and then developed."

She went on: "Getting young people out of our education system who don't necessarily always have that polish, if you like, that some of their counterparts have.

"I've talked about a levelling up of Britain and that's a really important phrase to me.

"Because I wouldn't have been helped growing up in Rotherham by taking away an opportunity from someone else, that would have completely upset me.

"What I wanted was a levelling up of opportunity for me to have a go too."
:barf:

Expect her to be full STRONG ECONOMY when we're not on questions about the loving EU. Actually she'll probably be STRONG ECONOMY on that too.

Lisa Nandy Sometimes suggested as a possible candidate to challenge Jeremy Corbyn and since she's only 36 this kind of shows how hosed they are at ever challenging Jeremy Corbyn right now. She voted against air strikes and has done a pretty good job as Energy Secretary. I dunno, nobody ever writes anything about her. She could be a wizard for all I know.

John Nicolson SNP spokesperson on Culture, Media and Sport. Openly gay and thankfully also not a massive dick. Doing us proud John, keep up the not being a massive dick, it helps.

June Sarpong Launched the In Campaign for the EU. Yeah if you're as sick of the EU debate as I am already, prepare for a Question Time from hell. Also a presenter on Loose Women and I have literally never seen her until now so again, possible wizard.

Theo Phaphitis Immigrant business man and thus obviously supportive of the EU. Right? Right? Nope. He wants out because gently caress you got mine.

It's going to be an EU episode, come join us and bask in our misery.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Dabir posted:

Must remember to do this in future.

Hm, how do you mean? Start insulting the mentally ill?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I'm not against Britain leveling up, but as with a written constitution, I would never trust the Tories to spend our skill points wisely.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

crispix posted:

Only one Tory bastard on the panel! Unless her off T4 is one too. Come join us in #ukgoons on synirc.
I thought IDS was the one off Aktion T4?

Fans posted:

Also a presenter on Loose Women and I have literally never seen her until now so again, possible wizard.
Isn't Loose Women tabloid garbage for the screen? I've never watched it and only hear about it when they've said something idiotic about trans people or the unemployed so it might be 100% communist propaganda every other second, but I somehow doubt it.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

Hm, how do you mean? Start insulting the mentally ill?

No, the other one.

E: I quoted the wrong post somehow, meant to quote your next one.

Tesseraction posted:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Ahhh, I was wondering.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Green Wing posted:

Seriously, don't just post random Private Member's Bills and say "Look at what they are doing!" else you will be either very frightened or very disappointed a great deal.

Current PMBs that also won't receive a second reading are the UK Borders Control Bill (Christopher Chope, also tried last Session), which would "make provision to ensure that the United Kingdom has absolute control over the right to prevent non-UK citizens from entering the United Kingdom; to determine the circumstances in which non-UK citizens may be required to leave the United Kingdom; and for connected purposes."

And the BBC Privatisation Bill (actually first on the Order Paper so will get a debate next Friday if he prints the loving thing on time)' (Peter Bone, also tried last Session), which would "make provision for the privatisation of the British Broadcasting Corporation by providing shares in the Corporation to all licence fee payers." if it's the same bill as last year

Yeah, except it's getting a second reading next week hth. http://services.parliament.uk/bills/2015-16/workingtimedirectivelimitation.html

I'm well aware how small-scale and unlikely to succeed PMBs are. But that doesn't stop it being a horrible and lovely thing to do, not to mention a piece of deeply suspect timing for the second reading.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Fans posted:

Lisa Nandy Sometimes suggested as a possible candidate to challenge Jeremy Corbyn and since she's only 36 this kind of shows how hosed they are at ever challenging Jeremy Corbyn right now. She voted against air strikes and has done a pretty good job as Energy Secretary. I dunno, nobody ever writes anything about her. She could be a wizard for all I know.

Sort of right but sort of not. She was originally suggested as the left's candidate for the election last summer, but I think she was pregnant at the time or had just given birth, forget the exact details. Basically the timing wasn't right for her. But I don't think she's been suggested by anyone (serious) as a challenger to Corbyn. She's somewhere to the right of Corbyn and left of Burnham, as if that narrows it down much.

And definitely not a wizard. Her dad is an Indian Marxist academic however.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Guavanaut posted:

Isn't Loose Women tabloid garbage for the screen? I've never watched it and only hear about it when they've said something idiotic about trans people or the unemployed so it might be 100% communist propaganda every other second, but I somehow doubt it.

Loose Women is basically a gameshow where you get points for having the most uninformed opinion.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

This EU mess is hilarious to me, despite being a huge mess, because I can't help but imagine David Cameron as someone who actually believed he was a master statesman who would walk out of this with an easy victory

Like, why is he even doing this? I really can't see what he stands to gain versus the potential risk.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

J_RBG posted:

This EU mess is hilarious to me, despite being a huge mess, because I can't help but imagine David Cameron as someone who actually believed he was a master statesman who would walk out of this with an easy victory

Like, why is he even doing this? I really can't see what he stands to gain versus the potential risk.

Cameron doesn't really care about international stuff so probably had a bit of the Dunning Kruger going on as to how influential he was/could be.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

well he made the pledge because he wanted to win an election, and there would probably have been open rebellion if he hadn't gone through with the referendum once promised. then he decided to try and leverage the situation he himself had created for his own electoral success to extract concessions from europe, after making sure that everyone that matters in europe really hates him because of his myopic focus on domestic affairs

i mean it could've been elegant, if britain's hand here were as strong as dave thinks it is

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

thespaceinvader posted:

Yeah, except it's getting a second reading next week hth. http://services.parliament.uk/bills/2015-16/workingtimedirectivelimitation.html

I'm well aware how small-scale and unlikely to succeed PMBs are. But that doesn't stop it being a horrible and lovely thing to do, not to mention a piece of deeply suspect timing for the second reading.

Apparently it's fifteenth on the bill so highly unlikely to receive that reading much as it's on the schedule so colour my face red.

However, I wrote an email to my MP about it an hour or so ago, and he responded to tell me that just now.

Service, I guess!

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Lisa Nandy is an absolute babe, tbh.

Weldon Pemberton
May 19, 2012

MikeCrotch posted:

Loose Women is basically a gameshow where you get points for having the most uninformed opinion.

Yeah it's the most boring program in the world. They have minor celebrities on for interviews and otherwise discuss random topics (political and otherwise). The presenters are has-beens selected for how relatable they are to middle-aged housewives, so they don't know anything of relevance to any political matter they discuss. Watching it is like sitting next to a couple of idiots in a pub while they start having a debate based purely on "facts" they heard third-hand from a work colleague and what they think is "common sense".

When I was doing A-levels I often walked home during free periods and watched daytime TV. Jezza Kyle, Bargain Hunt, Flog It! and any children's program were mainstays of my week but I could not put up with Loose Women for more than 5 minutes.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Young males don't like a tv show made by mature women for mature women? Hold the front page.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Pissflaps posted:

Young males don't like a tv show made by mature women for mature women? Hold the front page.

Yeah, I'm sure if you're an older woman it has a lot that's relevant and interesting. Then again I've never watched it.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Pissflaps posted:

Holy poo poo, a pissflaps post I agree with.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

One or more goons are mature women.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

MikeCrotch posted:

a gameshow where you get points for having the most uninformed opinion.

Recruiting agency for the Tories then.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Pissflaps posted:

It pays Janet Street-Porter. That alone is reason for derision, let alone basically being Mail/Sun/Heat telly. But, if it keeps middle aged people from aimlessly meandering along at lunch then it serves my purposes too.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Pissflaps posted:

I dunno, tv shows about mature women but aimed at young males seems like something Richard Desmond would invest in.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Surely Loose Women can only be a palate cleanser after subjecting yourself to the cocaine fuelled aggression/leching of Jeremy Kyle

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

V. Illych L. posted:

well he made the pledge because he wanted to win an election, and there would probably have been open rebellion if he hadn't gone through with the referendum once promised. then he decided to try and leverage the situation he himself had created for his own electoral success to extract concessions from europe, after making sure that everyone that matters in europe really hates him because of his myopic focus on domestic affairs

i mean it could've been elegant, if britain's hand here were as strong as dave thinks it is

All signs indicate that the current kerfuffle in Brussels is being heavily stage-managed so that Cameron can get a bunch of largely meaningless pre-arranged concessions that he heroically eked out from a bunch of tense negotiations that totally weren't being played up for the press by all involved, honest. For instance, one thing he's been pushing for is a British exemption from the Charter of Fundamental Rights of the European Union... which we already got in the lead-up to the Lisbon Treaty back in 2007.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The Charter contains rights and freedoms under six titles: Dignity, Freedoms, Equality, Solidarity, Citizens' Rights, and Justice. Well those all sound like terrible things that we want no part of. What's the point of even staying if the UK is going to forcibly opt out of all the possibly useful bits and only wants in for the larger flow of capital and tax loopholes?

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

The Charter contains rights and freedoms under six titles: Dignity, Freedoms, Equality, Solidarity, Citizens' Rights, and Justice. Well those all sound like terrible things that we want no part of. What's the point of even staying if the UK is going to forcibly opt out of all the possibly useful bits and only wants in for the larger flow of capital and tax loopholes?

To be honest that's probably corbyns position, despite him apparently being behind staying in. The Telegraph actually pointed out that he's in a reasonably good position where he can claim victory if we stay but also capitalise on the Tory implosion if we leave.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

J_RBG posted:

I, for one, am glad that David Cameron is doing his best to push back the EU Tyranny and help Hard Working Families Who Are Just Trying To Get On by trying to get an opt-out from EU banking regulation. Think of all the poor families whose Economic Security is Threatened because the EU decided banker bonuses should be restricted to 2x salary instead of unregulated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

It's the only word they know, but it's such a big word for a tiny creature

thespaceinvader posted:

Apparently it's fifteenth on the bill so highly unlikely to receive that reading much as it's on the schedule so colour my face red.

However, I wrote an email to my MP about it an hour or so ago, and he responded to tell me that just now.

Service, I guess!

Also, being on the order paper for a second reading doesn't mean it will /get/ a second reading, even if it's first on the Order Paper. It's the debate, not the approval.

I work very closely with the Commons, I could do an effortpost about Private Members' Bills if people like.

• Locked thread