Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Series DD Funding posted:

An RFC-compliant regex doesn't exist because comments can nest infinitely :fishmech:

Regexes aren't regular though, most implementations are Turing complete

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Does your signup form really want to accept an email address that has comments in it, though. If for some reason you were using a fully spec-compliant email address parser, would you do anything but tell your user to stop loving around and just input an address without comments.

Bonfire Lit
Jul 9, 2008

If you're one of the sinners who caused this please unfriend me now.

Munkeymon posted:

What if I consider excluding people who care deeply enough about whether forms will accept their technically-RFC-compliant :fishmech: addresses that they'll give up and not use my service rather than excluding the comment or whatever from their email a net gain?
that's fine, but please don't be one of the million websites that "validate" email addresses by rejecting everything that contains characters besides alphanumerics and full stop

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
My favorite was when my bank or T-Mobile or something started rejecting my password because it didn't support the special characters I was using. It rejected them as I was logging in with the password I already had.

I still don't get that. If I want wacky Unicode in my passwords, I should be allowed to!

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

CPColin posted:

I still don't get that. If I want wacky Unicode in my passwords, I should be allowed to!

Should also be the case for security questions.

"Very well sir, what was the nam- oh god what is that emoji doing to its...?"

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
"Please paste your security image in the box below."

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
One time I encountered website with a signup form that silently truncated the password field but a login form that did not. Great times were had by all!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

For a long time, unix systems used a DES based encryption scheme on passwords where only the first 8 characters you typed mattered. You could hammer in line noise and it wouldn't make a difference as long as you got those first 8 letters correct.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Bonfire Lit posted:

that's fine, but please don't be one of the million websites that "validate" email addresses by rejecting everything that contains characters besides alphanumerics and full stop

this is the worst. I can't use my legitimate firstname.lastname@url.tld email address because of this stuff. many don't let you use the +comment thing, which I like to use to figure out who's spamming me.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

My parents have had their email address rejected at least once because it ended in @q.com. Needless to say they don't use that one anymore.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

many don't let you use the +comment thing, which I like to use to figure out who's spamming me.

My solution was to start handling my own email, set up postfix with a catch-all. This does increase the blind-fire spam a little bit because it means I have to accept all mail, but it also means I can "create" new email addresses on the fly when signing up on sites.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
That just seems more trouble than it's worth since you then have to filter spam yourself.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

xzzy posted:

My solution was to start handling my own email, set up postfix with a catch-all. This does increase the blind-fire spam a little bit because it means I have to accept all mail, but it also means I can "create" new email addresses on the fly when signing up on sites.

This but I use Google Apps for it because gently caress running my own mail server.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's not that bad. Granted it's not gmail's "never ever see a spam message again" level of quality but spamassassin is really good at its job.

Odds are kind of stacked against me anyways, I've had the same primary address for 18 years and that poo poo is guaranteed to be in every bulk emailer's address book.

EpicCodeMonkey
Feb 19, 2011
PHP giveth:
https://git.php.net/?p=php-src.git;...6362baf5b848467

PHP taketh:
https://git.php.net/?p=php-src.git;a=commit;h=a0724d30817600540946b41e40f4cfc2a0c30f80

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

So their RNG implementation was buggy, they committed a fix, then the fix got reverted because it broke users who relied on the previous buggy RNG to output the same specific series of values? Is that what's going on here?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

gonadic io posted:

Regexes aren't regular though, most implementations are Turing complete

What is the regex that recognizes A^n B^n C^n?

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Dr. Stab posted:

Most libraries dip into a subset of context free/sensitive grammars when it's a feature you'd want. I can write a perl regex that matches palindromes.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Dr. Stab posted:

On .NET, ^(?'a'a)+(?'b-a'b)+(?(a)(?!))(?'c-b'c)+(?(b)(?!))$. Answer stolen from Stack Overflow.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

sarehu posted:

On .NET, ^(?'a'a)+(?'b-a'b)+(?(a)(?!))(?'c-b'c)+(?(b)(?!))$. Answer stolen from Stack Overflow.

You didn't provide proper attribution :haw:

(yeah it looks like they thankfully struck down that proposal)

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
If anybody approaches me about this transgression, I'll simply run away, screaming, "FAIR USE!"

crazypenguin
Mar 9, 2005
nothing witty here, move along
I once used a form that accepted initially setting the password fine, but managed (when logging in) to send a GET request without URL encoding my password. somehow. I have no idea how. They must have written javascript specifically to do this instead of submitting the form. Of course my password had an & in it.

Latest annoyance: local health exchange disabled paste on their login and account creation pages because ~security~ I'm sure. Definitely more secure to not use a password manager's long randomly generated passwords. Definitely.

I tried pasting into my bank's login the other week and discovered that they've added a popup explaining that they've disable right click because ~security~ of course. Thankfully ctrl+v worked.

I think browsers should detect paste and right-click intercepts and deliberately offer a "hey did you actually want to just do that anyway?" option to the UI. Gives us a nice simple way to just go right around this garbage, and makes the website developers look appropriately stupid.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Reminds me of a registration renewal notice I got in the mail for, I think, my car. They had a webpage where you could go to do the registration instead of having to physically mail anything in. The page was customized to my specific name/car (so it was like http://dmv.gov/renewals/TMAsOldGreenBeaterCar or whatever), and as added security I had to input a key code that was in the notice they'd mailed to me. Except they mailed me the wrong goddamn key code. So I just viewed the Javascript, found the form validation logic, found the value they were expecting to get, and pasted that in. And it worked! :v:

EpicCodeMonkey
Feb 19, 2011

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

So their RNG implementation was buggy, they committed a fix, then the fix got reverted because it broke users who relied on the previous buggy RNG to output the same specific series of values? Is that what's going on here?

Bingo.

Benefit of the doubt, you might want it stable for unit tests or other tests. But in those cases you should be mocking it anyway, not hoping the PRNG can give repeatable output between runs.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...
The US Treasury's website silently truncates passwords to 16 characters on your signup form.

The login page requires you to enter your password on one of those stupid onscreen keyboards.

It's case insensitive.

When I hit "submit", my password manager was able to grab the resulting password.

:bang:

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

sarehu posted:

Oh, sure, obviously. Now what is the regex to simulate a turing machine?

ShoulderDaemon
Oct 9, 2003
support goon fund
Taco Defender

Dr. Stab posted:

Oh, sure, obviously. Now what is the regex to simulate a turing machine?

In Perl, $foo =~ s/.*/$&/ee; is the same as $foo = eval $foo;.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Fun little bug I ran in to at work. I was seeing how easy it would be to update the project's version of Ember to the latest version, got fed up when something didn't work, and reset my changes.

Now I have no local changes and it still doesn't work, saying it 'equireay' a jQuery version between 1.7 and 2.1. The project's version had 1.11 listed in the dependecy file. I clear every cache, clear out every folder that had temp files and proejct dependencies, still no dice.

After googleing the error it turns out that someone somewhere screwed up and if you have the jQuery dependency listed using the semver '^1.11.3' then it might download a weirdo version that somehow Ember doesn't detect as between 1.7 and 2.1. The temporary fix was to make it just 1.11.3 instead of ^1.11.3.

If you were going to install the project from scratch it wouldn't work at all because of this.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

this is the worst. I can't use my legitimate firstname.lastname@url.tld email address because of this stuff. many don't let you use the +comment thing, which I like to use to figure out who's spamming me.

lol if you think spammers dont strip the +comment by now

Sedro
Dec 31, 2008

piratepilates posted:

Fun little bug I ran in to at work. I was seeing how easy it would be to update the project's version of Ember to the latest version, got fed up when something didn't work, and reset my changes.

Now I have no local changes and it still doesn't work, saying it 'equireay' a jQuery version between 1.7 and 2.1. The project's version had 1.11 listed in the dependecy file. I clear every cache, clear out every folder that had temp files and proejct dependencies, still no dice.

After googleing the error it turns out that someone somewhere screwed up and if you have the jQuery dependency listed using the semver '^1.11.3' then it might download a weirdo version that somehow Ember doesn't detect as between 1.7 and 2.1. The temporary fix was to make it just 1.11.3 instead of ^1.11.3.

If you were going to install the project from scratch it wouldn't work at all because of this.

That's npm for you. At any point in time, a minor version update to a dependency's dependency's dependency might break your project. It's not enough to pin the versions of your dependencies, you have to pin the versions of the entire dependency tree. Good luck getting shrinkwrap to work.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

piratepilates posted:

I'm not quite getting what's going on. What does '^1.11.3' ostensibly mean? Who hosed up, npm or jquery?

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

pokeyman posted:

I'm not quite getting what's going on. What does '^1.11.3' ostensibly mean? Who hosed up, npm or jquery?

'^1.11.3' in npm semver description means "take the left-most non-zero digit in the version and update any number to the right of it", so in this case it will try to get the latest of the '1.x.x' versions of jQuery, which in this case is 1.12.0. For some reason apparently the version of Ember we're using (still pretty recent) has some kind of bug where if you use jQuery 1.12 instead of 1.11 it will presume you're using a version of jQuery outside of 1.7 to 2.1 and not work at all. I didn't take a great look at the github issue that I googled but it seemed to be an issue with Ember here. Either way it's all kind of hosed up and shouldn't have happened.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Got it, thanks!

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Dessert Rose posted:

The US Treasury's website silently truncates passwords to 16 characters on your signup form.

The login page requires you to enter your password on one of those stupid onscreen keyboards.

It's case insensitive.

When I hit "submit", my password manager was able to grab the resulting password.

:bang:

So what your telling me, is that the next US financial crash is going to be caused by a 16 year old looking for hacker cred.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

xzzy posted:

For a long time, unix systems used a DES based encryption scheme on passwords where only the first 8 characters you typed mattered. You could hammer in line noise and it wouldn't make a difference as long as you got those first 8 letters correct.

Fortunately people eventually figured out that this was bad. I haven't used a system configured this way for at least, uh, three years?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't know, it was known to be bad over 10 years ago. Encountering a system three years ago still using DES encryption may not be a coding horror but it's definitely an administration horror. :v:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Before Seventh Edition, crypt() wasn't even DES. It was introduced in Third Edition as a software implementation of the WWII M-209 cipher machine, using the user's password as both the key and the message to encrypt with the cipher. That was good enough for a project pretty much internal to Bell Labs and used almost entirely for word processing in the early 70s. In Seventh Edition they changed it to 25 rounds of DES on a block of zeros because guessing M-209 results became too fast to be secure by 1978/1979.

Technology marches on.

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

I EAT LITTLE CHILDREN FOR BREAKFAST !!11!!1!!!!111!
Ran into a really stupid issue today. I was trying to get a source tree from subversion onto my Windows box. In the repository are files called con.c and con.h.
Windows doesn't let you create files (or folders) with the name 'con', even with an extension, because it's reserved.

So svn pukes, and won't let you do anything until you cleanup. However, cleanup also fails, because it's still trying to do something with those files that Windows won't let it create. In order to fix it, I had to manually delete pending work from the svn SQLite database, and rename the offending files from a Linux machine and recommit them so they could be checked out from Windows.

I can't believe that legacy crap still exists in Windows. :negative:

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Kilson posted:

Ran into a really stupid issue today. I was trying to get a source tree from subversion onto my Windows box. In the repository are files called con.c and con.h.
Windows doesn't let you create files (or folders) with the name 'con', even with an extension, because it's reserved.

So svn pukes, and won't let you do anything until you cleanup. However, cleanup also fails, because it's still trying to do something with those files that Windows won't let it create. In order to fix it, I had to manually delete pending work from the svn SQLite database, and rename the offending files from a Linux machine and recommit them so they could be checked out from Windows.

windows goes to a lot of trouble to support legacy poo poo. it's pretty admirable in a way just how hard they try to make sure that the bad software some company wrote in the 90s will still run today. Of course, in other ways it can be very inconvenient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Kilson posted:

It's only the win32 layer where that kind of crap exists, NT doesn't care. You can use cygwin or whatever to deal with files called con.c just fine.

NT is a good operating system that's crippled by Microsoft only really supporting the Win32 subsystem.