Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I do look forward to soon to come liberal version of Becket Fund for Religious Liberty. 5-4 liberal court gonna turn out some interesting assholes being dicks just to get before the court.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You know what's going to happen right. The senate relents and confirms a 60 year old moderate. Cruz wins and two left justices leave the court. the end.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

euphronius posted:

You know what's going to happen right. The senate relents and confirms a 60 year old moderate. Cruz wins and two left justices leave the court. the end.

Put down the bottle. That chat is for Uspol! Come on, Nino just croaked! A little optimism won't kill you!

Do justice upon someone tomorrow, you'll feel better.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
They shouldn't need a great reason to overturn Shelby when the reasoning for the decision was as weak as it was ( the VRA is old) overwhelming reauthorized in 2006

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

quote:

edit: oh wait I read what you wrote wrong, and now I don't know what you're talking about but that's hilarious and Scalia continues to surprise with his treasure chest of crazy
i think that this is probably what's being referred to:

tl;dr : he got an important point of fact incredibly wrong when referring to a decision that he himself wrote.

quote:

"This is not the first time EPA has sought to convert the Clean Air Act into a mandate for cost-effective regulation. Whitman v. American Trucking Assns., Inc., 531 U. S. 457 (2001), confronted EPA's contention that it could consider costs in setting [National Ambient Air Quality Standards]," Scalia wrote in his dissent, which was joined by Justice Clarence Thomas.

The problem: the EPA's position in the 2001 case was exactly the opposite. The agency was defending its refusal to consider cost as a counter-weight to health benefits when setting certain air quality standards. It was the trucking industry that wanted the EPA to factor in cost. The 9-0 ruling sided with the EPA. The author of the ruling that Scalia mischaracterized? Scalia himself.

The conservative justice's error was noted by University of California-Berkeley law professor Dan Farber, who called it "embarrassing" and a "cringeworthy blunder."

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
It (sorta) begins, O'Connor calls for the GOP to do its drat job and that Obama should name a replacement:
http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/17/politics/sandra-day-oconnor-obama-scalia-replacement/index.html

My favorite part is at the end though.

A Soggy Diaper Full Of Wet Farts posted:

Rival GOP candidate Ted Cruz said nominating someone now wouldn't "be fair to the nominee."

"I think that hearing would end up very politicized," the Texas senator said. "I think this is a matter of policy -- that during a lame-duck period, we should not be confirming a Supreme Court nomination."

With any luck someone will attack him on this since Kennedy was absolutely a lame duck appointment as is anyone appointed in a President's 2nd term really. Though nobody in the GOP will do so but it'd be great to see Kaisch or someone who knows they can't win just go full nuclear on Cruz in a debate.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Evil Fluffy posted:

It (sorta) begins, O'Connor calls for the GOP to do its drat job and that Obama should name a replacement:
http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/17/politics/sandra-day-oconnor-obama-scalia-replacement/index.html

With any luck someone will attack him on this since Kennedy was absolutely a lame duck appointment as is anyone appointed in a President's 2nd term really. Though nobody in the GOP will do so but it'd be great to see Kaisch or someone who knows they can't win just go full nuclear on Cruz in a debate.

I'd like to see the Senate GOP start firebombing Cruz but they'd have to come around to the concept of a work ethic first.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Any nominee would just be unfairly politicized

-guy who intends to unfairly politicize any nominee

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Kazak_Hstan posted:

Any nominee would just be unfairly politicized

-guy who intends to unfairly politicize any nominee

Seems like he knows what he’s talking about.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

FAUXTON posted:

I'd like to see the Senate GOP start firebombing Cruz but they'd have to come around to the concept of a work ethic first.

I was delighted when Trump birthered Cruz and the entire GOP senate minus Mike Lee, Only Friend, went "hmm, that is a reasonable point and questions should be asked about his eligibility".

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Evil Fluffy posted:

A president's second term isn't entirely lame duck, though. The lame duck period is only while they're still in office (from November-January) after their successor has been elected. Obama won't be a lame duck president until November.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

I hate that people forgot what lame duck meant. Obama isn't a lame duck until the second Wednesday of this coming November. I've seen people calling him a lame deck since the 2010 elections.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
No you see Obama has been a lame duck since Mitch McConnell said his goal was to make Obama a one term president

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Lame duck can reasonably apply to a president in his last two years in office facing opposition party control of Congress.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

whydirt posted:

Lame duck can reasonably apply to a president in his last two years in office facing opposition party control of Congress.

No it can't, because that's not what it loving means.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Rygar201 posted:

No it can't, because that's not what it loving means.

Yeah that was just what they called it during the back half of W's last term

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

Yeah that was just what they called it during the back half of W's last term

Anyone who called everything after 2006 W's lame duck term is just as wrong as anyone saying that Obama is currently a lame duck. Though they are less wrong in that they didn't pretend W couldn't name Supreme Court Justices because that's no fair and their mommy said so.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
It's almost like words can change meaning over time based on usage and context!

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

whydirt posted:

It's almost like words can change meaning over time based on usage and context!

Yeah but this hasn't, it's a political effort. It's mis using a defined term to try and frame events.

I'm all about evolving language, but this ain't it.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Rygar201 posted:

Yeah but this hasn't, it's a political effort. It's mis using a defined term to try and frame events.

I'm all about evolving language, but this ain't it.

Typical point of view from the Democrat party

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Rygar201 posted:

I hate that people forgot what lame duck meant. Obama isn't a lame duck until the second Wednesday of this coming November. I've seen people calling him a lame deck since the 2010 elections.

Lame Duck can also mean that the person cannot serve another term, thus any American president who wins a 2nd term (after ratification of the 22nd of course) can be called a lame duck. Nevertheless it is absurd to suggest that the president loses any constitutional power because of any lame duck status no matter how one defines it.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Words no longer have meaning

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

DOOP posted:

Words no longer have meaning

More or less.

It is a nice distraction from discussing whether or not obstructing the President by outright refusing to even consider an appointment is a good or bad thing though, so I expect a lot of Republicans to try and divert the discussion into "well but what really IS a lame duck and those other times don't count because X was different."

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Does this artist read the forums or something because I'm pretty sure they're using fishmech as the model for that kid.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

FAUXTON posted:

Does this artist read the forums or something because I'm pretty sure they're using fishmech as the model for that kid.

Everyone knows he's the smartest kid in america though.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I agree with the poster saying lame duck is being misused on purpose.

Macaroni Surprise
Nov 13, 2012
So what does lame duck mean in politics? I thought it was just general slang.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Macaroni Surprise posted:

An elected official whose replacement has already been elected, but the time for the replacement hasn't happened yet.

So Obama will be one in mid-November.

EDIT: Wikipedia says the term can be used before the replacement is elected but it's "especially" used for politicians in that situation.

TheOneAndOnlyT fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Feb 19, 2016

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

A politician who has lost political power because they will no longer be in office, either because of term limits or a failed reelection bid.

In US parlance it's generally the period between the election and inauguration, though an uncommon but not rare usage would peg it when the president has completely lost influence with Congress and they're content to wait him out

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Historically the inauguration was March 4 which lead to very long lame duck period and that was subsequently changed.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I mean I'm not as smart as the Senate democrats but I would be pointing out loudly how the GOPs stance is radically anti democratic by attempting to nullify the results of the 2012 election.

Elections have consequences.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

euphronius posted:

But tantrums do not.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

NewMars posted:

Everyone knows he's the smartest kid in america though.

Realtalk question, why is fischmech's catchphrase/description "The smartest kid in America"?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

mcmagic posted:

Yeah, it's just like when Alito and Thomas get all expense paid trips to Koch sucking conferences!!

i'd like to buy the world --a koch

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

euphronius posted:

I mean I'm not as smart as the Senate democrats but I would be pointing out loudly how the GOPs stance is radically anti democratic by attempting to nullify the results of the 2012 election.

I mean, they are. They'll be doing it much more once there's a nominee though.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I've just been reading the nyt and haven't seen that quote.

But that's probably on me.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

euphronius posted:

The 2014 midterms brought us a GOP majority in the senate. Will of the people!! (Not a conservative, you just have a bad argument).

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

euphronius posted:

I've just been reading the nyt and haven't seen that quote.

But that's probably on me.

quote:

In response, Warren had this to say: “Sen. McConnell is right that the American people should have a voice in the selection of the next Supreme Court justice. In fact, they did — when President Obama won the 2012 election by five million votes.”

That's the one I know I saw, I think others are out there as well.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The Mandingo posted:

The 2014 midterms brought us a GOP majority in the senate. Will of the people!! (Not a conservative, you just have a bad argument).

That's fine if they don't confirm someone.

They're not even going to have hearings at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

SgtScruffy posted:

Realtalk question, why is fischmech's catchphrase/description "The smartest kid in America"?