Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

omg ISO. I need it. <3 them so much

ChickenArise fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Feb 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

ChickenArise posted:

omg ISO. I need it. <3 them so much

Yeah, the beer is probably going to be crap but that's a good band. The first time I heard Snake Jaw I was in love.

In beer news, Tired hands has officially taken the WTF beer name championship with Kickphone iFlip IPA, which is actually a very good beer. Also, the can hype has officially reached peak saturation. They released HopHands and Foliage in cans yesterday and still had like 30 cases left at 7:30 so I was able to walk in, grab a sandwich, drink some beers, and walk out with cans. The future is here and it is awesome.

edit - Now someone just needs to make a Savages beer because I'd buy that poo poo in a heartbeat.

deedee megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Feb 18, 2016

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

I had to look this up because I am now woe-fully unhip regarding what you kidz today call "punk rock."

You still use z's instead of s's, right?

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

HatfulOfHollow posted:

edit - Now someone just needs to make a Savages beer because I'd buy that poo poo in a heartbeat.

It was bad enough when all the good metal/beer 'collaborations' were coming out. If the Permanent Funeral release hadn't been local I'd have been a sad little pig. As a bonus we got to bring friends to that show who went to high school with one of the guest vocalists, and I got to hear stories. :allears:

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Chicagoons: Apparently, GI's Fulton taproom has something called "Cuvee of Darkness" on tap that is a blend of 2010 to 2015 BCBS.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Tell me about nitro beers?

Gonna go get some Left Hand Milk Stout Nitro and they say to hard pour it out of the bottle.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

danbanana posted:

Chicagoons: Apparently, GI's Fulton taproom has something called "Cuvee of Darkness" on tap that is a blend of 2010 to 2015 BCBS.

It's '10-14 BCBS, Vanilla Rye, 13 Prop, 14 Wild Turkey, 13-14 Templeton Rye, 12 Koval, and 14 Barleywine.

So enjoy a huge muddled mess of no discernable flavor.

WaffleStomp
May 7, 2007

a worthy uhh posted:

It's '10-14 BCBS, Vanilla Rye, 13 Prop, 14 Wild Turkey, 13-14 Templeton Rye, 12 Koval, and 14 Barleywine.

So enjoy a huge muddled mess of no discernable flavor.

5 star rating on untappd, boom.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Tenzarin posted:

Gonna go get some Left Hand Milk Stout Nitro and they say to hard pour it out of the bottle.

Pop open, wait a second or ten, pour heavy, let settle, enjoy!

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

I can't believe I'm going to be the first person to post this... Tired Hands Fermentaria was nominated for a James Beard award for outstanding bar program. This is the food forum. You people should be ashamed of yourselves.

Full list here: http://www.jamesbeard.org/blog/2016-jbf-restaurant-and-chef-award-semifinalists

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

HatfulOfHollow posted:

I can't believe I'm going to be the first person to post this... Tired Hands Fermentaria was nominated for a James Beard award for outstanding bar program. This is the food forum. You people should be ashamed of yourselves.

Full list here: http://www.jamesbeard.org/blog/2016-jbf-restaurant-and-chef-award-semifinalists

Fermentaria aside, the Philly metro Beard nominees are nonsense. Vetri and Solomonov, what is this, 2008?

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

HatfulOfHollow posted:

You know this isn't abnormal for a brewery, right? FFF was nominated last year, Allagash has been nominated before, DFH a bunch of times...

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

a worthy uhh posted:

Fermentaria aside, the Philly metro Beard nominees are nonsense. Vetri and Solomonov, what is this, 2008?

Well, Rich landau and Kate Jacoby got nominations but neither is going to win even though they're doing some of the most innovative things in the country right now because lol vegan food.

Stephen Starr is a perennial nominee, but always the bridesmaid, never the bride. And I'm completely OK with that because all of his restaurants are watered down except for Serpico, which is a revelation.

But seriously where is the nomination for Ian Moroney at Pumpkin or Christopher Kearse at Will? Those BYOBs have been fire for years and never get a mention. Whatever, makes it easier to get a reservation.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

danbanana posted:

You know this isn't abnormal for a brewery, right? FFF was nominated last year, Allagash has been nominated before, DFH a bunch of times...

It's usually brewers who get nominated in the Wine, Spirits, or Beer professional category, which again this year included Sam Calagione from DFH, Rob Tod from Allagash, and Vinnie from Russian River. Having Fermentaria show up in a different category is a different story.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

HatfulOfHollow posted:

Side Project Cellar is on there as well

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

dphi posted:

I only rep local breweries. Someone else can fanboi about Side Project.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Tenzarin posted:

make sure you use a 16 or 20oz glass and turn that poo poo upside-down

nitrogen makes smaller bubbles than CO2, so nitro beers tend to have a velvety-smooth texture and are really easy to drink- i can drink four of the beers you just bought without even noticing it. it seems that you sacrifice flavor with nitro, though, since it doesn't pop on your tongue (twss, i know) so it doesn't benefit every beer in my experience.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

funkybottoms posted:

nitrogen makes smaller bubbles than CO2, so nitro beers tend to have a velvety-smooth texture and are really easy to drink- i can drink four of the beers you just bought without even noticing it. it seems that you sacrifice flavor with nitro, though, since it doesn't pop on your tongue (twss, i know) so it doesn't benefit every beer in my experience.

I end up consuming it more quickly, too, ala cask, since it's so flat. (Flat like the Nugget Nectar I just poured because I'm apparently too impatient)

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

ExtremistCow posted:

Cereal mash? Looking at the ingredients for Top Ramen, I have no idea how they're gonna ferment this. Even if they can convert the wheat flour, the oil and salt is gonna make it a flat gross mess.

The real question is did they add the flavor packet?

That's instant ramen, which means it's the noodles that have been cooked once, and then flash-fried, which is where the oil comes from. If you're just dealing with fresh ramen, it's like pasta: water, flour, bit of salt, optional eggs.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

HatfulOfHollow posted:

Polite Provisions in San Diego is one of the coolest loving bars ever, so it should win even though I've never been to any of the other ones.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

ChickenArise posted:

(Flat like the Nugget Nectar I just poured because I'm apparently too impatient)

I just found the receipt for this and I was charged for Mad Elf :/

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

ChickenArise posted:

I end up consuming it more quickly, too, ala cask, since it's so flat.

hence the drinking four

sigh, gonna go drink a Stille Nacht Reserva vertical now...

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

dphi posted:

Lots of brewery folks nominated in the "Outstanding Wine, Beer, or Spirits Professional" category:

Sam Calagione, Dogfish Head Craft Brewery, Milton, DE
Wayne Carpenter, Skagit Valley Malting, Burlington, WA
Vinnie Cilurzo, Russian River Brewing Company, Santa Rosa, CA
Jeppe Jarnit-Bjergsø, Evil Twin Brewing, Brooklyn, NY
Jim Koch, The Boston Beer Company, Boston
Rob Tod, Allagash Brewing Company, Portland, ME

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

ChickenArise posted:

A lot of brewers reuse SKUs/barcodes. KBS will ring up as Founders Seasonal, for example. It's probably fine.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
How does pineapple sculpin compare to grapefruit sculpin, and regular sculpin?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Spanish Manlove posted:

Pop open, wait a second or ten, pour heavy, let settle, enjoy!

funkybottoms posted:

ChickenArise posted:

I end up consuming it more quickly, too, ala cask, since it's so flat. (Flat like the Nugget Nectar I just poured because I'm apparently too impatient)

Just got home with a case from Specs, its pretty drat drinkable. Think I found a new fling.

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?

ChickenArise posted:

Midorka's Revenge

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Spanish Manlove posted:

it's a bit more pineappley

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Retemnav posted:

Midorka's Revenge

FINALLY.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

Spanish Manlove posted:

Inconsistent from one bottle to the next just like the rest of the line. Also, the pineapple will come out a little more if it's closer to 50°. I bought a sixer the day it hit shelves and still have a few left.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

Spanish Manlove posted:

It's a nice change if you're in the mood for sweet + refreshing instead of citrus+refreshing. It's well executed and you won't kick it out of bed, but it's more or less what you'd expect if you've had the Grapefruit variant. Sculpin's always batting above replacement value, just depends on what else you have access to locally.

zonacat
Jan 13, 2005
Sucuba is good. That's pretty much all for today. Between the cases of that available, the bcbs still on the shelf (seriously in Feb?) And parabola in March/april I think I am done looking for barrel aged poo poo. These guys charging more than Firestone and goose island are out of their minds.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

a worthy uhh posted:

A lot of brewers reuse SKUs/barcodes. KBS will ring up as Founders Seasonal, for example. It's probably fine.

yup. we started making new SKUs for every beer we packaged, but then we simplified it with "regular" and "barrel-aged"

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!
Grabbed a pint at the Brew Pump last night which is a bar in a gas station in West Asheville. They had a floor stack of Hopslam six packs for $17. Most places are sold out already and were charging $20-22. Asheville rules.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

zonacat posted:

Sucuba is good. That's pretty much all for today. Between the cases of that available, the bcbs still on the shelf (seriously in Feb?) And parabola in March/april I think I am done looking for barrel aged poo poo. These guys charging more than Firestone and goose island are out of their minds.

lucky

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

wodin posted:

It's a nice change if you're in the mood for sweet + refreshing instead of citrus+refreshing. It's well executed and you won't kick it out of bed, but it's more or less what you'd expect if you've had the Grapefruit variant. Sculpin's always batting above replacement value, just depends on what else you have access to locally.

I got a sixer to try because I'm curious and just to tick it off the list. I wasn't a huge fan of the grapefruit one and regular sculpin tastes exactly like one of the IPAs I can easily find locally (darwins IPA is really similar but I am also doing this to double check myself). But I'm in the Tampa area and have access to some pretty decent IPAs, and access to them really fresh too. I just like trying new things rather than drinking jai alai or Darwin's IPA all the time.

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

funkybottoms posted:

yup. we started making new SKUs for every beer we packaged, but then we simplified it with "regular" and "barrel-aged"

I'm curious about this statement, other than Simplification for simplification's sake, what drove the switch (or what drove the need/desire for the simplification?)

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

a worthy uhh posted:

I'm fairly sure that I don't need to pay 13.99 for NN, though. I'm going back tonight to see about fixing it (and buying more) :homebrew:

Retemnav posted:

Midorka's Revenge

Haha, very true. The best part is that I never would have known until my partner happened on the receipt and was like "WHY THE gently caress DID YOU BUY MAD ELF???"

We're not big fans.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Trip report: Dragon's Milk Vanilla Chai is basically CHAI with special guest cold coffee. The spices completely overwhelmed everything else in the beer until the coffee bitterness kicked in as the aftertaste. No vanilla to speak of.

Overall, I'm happy I bought it as just a single bottle rather than a four pack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OMG
Jul 14, 2007
Are bière de gardes supposed to be almost flat? Like, non-existent carbonation? Had one last night, and it was pretty meh.

Considering saving 2 Arctic Soirees from becoming shelf turds on my lunch break.