Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

wallaka posted:

That's the H3. The H2 is a Tahoe with another front suspension in the back.

Hurr durr. I Reed guud. Either way those things are rolling turds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I remember a buddy that went in right around 1999 endlessly bitching about how they had to set out a drip pan and wheel chocks for the H1's every time they parked them. Cause god forbid we gently caress up the pristine wilderness that is Fort Hood

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Jonny 290 posted:

I remember a buddy that went in right around 1999 endlessly bitching about how they had to set out a drip pan and wheel chocks for the H1's every time they parked them. Cause god forbid we gently caress up the pristine wilderness that is Fort Hood

Yeah, when there's no loving park position on the transmission you gotta chock it.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

You'd think a normal hand-pull parking brake would be within their manufacturing capabilities.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

Sinestro posted:

I thought it came from TÜV regulations about the top edge of tread being inside the wheel well.

Stretched tires apparently go back to that, though only to a certain degree. The kind of stretched tires you see in the US or Japan absolutely don't fly in Germany. And retarded setups like that Miata would never pass TÜV.

Coincidentally, this might also be why a lot of Germans interested in car culture have are fascinated by the US and Japanese custom car scenes, even ridiculous (and badly made) cars like that Miata.

In Germany, modding a car and keeping it street-legal is super difficult. Things like an engine swap come with a dumb amount of paperwork that make California seem like a car nut's paradise. Jamming an LS1 into a car in Germany would likely be an almost impossible undertaking, at least if you actually want to drive the car on the street. You'd need approval from the car manufacturer that this engine is ok to run in that car or pay for a professional to assess all of it and hope the TÜV accepts it.

And you can forget about running historic plates on an old car if you so much as modify it in a way that isn't historically appropriate (best case scenario: you can find proof that someone did this back when the car was new). And without historic plates, insurance and tax go way up, and depending on the engine (anything without modern emissions control and a cat, basically), you won't be able to drive that car into bigger cities anymore due to special emission regulations.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I thought stupid camber originated with the old vw swing axles where it was an unavoidable consequence of lowering?

I also thought rusted hoods came from the vw tenancy to burst into flames, be extinguished then minimal repairs before driving again.

I may just have an unconscious hatred of seeing classic cars ruined.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Cakefool posted:

I thought stupid camber originated with the old vw swing axles where it was an unavoidable consequence of lowering?

I also thought rusted hoods came from the vw tenancy to burst into flames, be extinguished then minimal repairs before driving again.

I may just have an unconscious hatred of seeing classic cars ruined.

Seems appropriate:

http://www.zelectricmotors.com/

It's not an bug if it doesn't make the ACVW exhaust note. :colbert:

I bet they accelerate like a monster though.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

xzzy posted:

Seems appropriate:

At least the EV conversions are fully reversible.

As far as terrible car things, anyone else in Colorado have their insurance rate go up this month for no reason?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

xzzy posted:

Seems appropriate:

They're like low-budget singer tesla crosses, I don't consider those cars ruined.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Of all the crimes I've seen visited on vintage VWs a reversible electric conversion seems totally reasonable.

I'd rather see that than the slammed/rimzzz resto-mod abominations that still seem to be perplexingly popular.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Cakefool posted:

They're like low-budget singer tesla crosses, I don't consider those cars ruined.

$50,000+ is not low budget.

Least not in my world.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

xzzy posted:

Least not in my world.

Compared to Tesla that he referenced, it sure is.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Looking at some of those cars, they're well into Tesla cost territory anyway. Restoring an ACVW these days is hella expensive. I've already got somewhere around 5k tied up in my 58 and it's still sitting on blocks in the garage. And I've done 90% of the labor.

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Owner is handicapped all right.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I'm seeing signs of mental and phallic handicapping.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Really surprised that isnt an Alberta plate.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

D C posted:

Really surprised that isnt an Alberta plate.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who went there immediately.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

xzzy posted:

Least not in my world.

Go cost up a singer.

For perspective I spent 3k on my current car and hated parting with the money, so I'm not bragging there.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I just saw a Sprinter on stock size tires with what had to be an 8-10" body lift. Why. Just, why.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning
My terrible car stuff was spending the last 12 days up in Erie, PA and renting a Dodge Charger for the duration.

Overall a drat nice full sized car, ergonomic as gently caress, surprisingly economic and a hell of a lot of oomph under the go pedal.

But that loving hog was stuck on my girlfriend's driveway for 4 of the 12 days. Poxy lake effect snow to the tune of 4-10 inches a night, -17C temps, freezing rain, but blistering sunlight every morning to give everything a nice slick ice coating.

RWD cars just have zero purpose being in the rust belt.

dpack_1 fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Feb 19, 2016

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

veedubfreak posted:

I just saw a Sprinter on stock size tires with what had to be an 8-10" body lift. Why. Just, why.

Maybe winter tires?

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

dpack_1 posted:

My terrible car stuff was spending the last 12 days up in Erie, PA and renting a Dodge Charger for the duration.

Overall a drat nice full sized car, ergonomic as gently caress, surprisingly economic and a hell of a lot of oomph under the go pedal.

But that loving hog was stuck on my girlfriend's driveway for 4 of the 12 days. Poxy lake effect snow to the tune of 4-10 inches a night, -17C temps, freezing rain, but blistering sunlight every morning to give everything a nice slick ice coating.

Do any car rental companies in the US put winter tires on their cars? I'm pretty sure the rental I got when I was visiting Toronto had winter tires on it, but that may be the law up there.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

No picture, but I spotted a copper colored, mid-2000s Excursion with a cream-colored landau top today at 8 mile and 75. It was amazing.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Safety Dance posted:

Maybe winter tires?

Nah, they looked like stock sized mudgrips. Might have been slightly larger, but there was a solid 16" gap between the top of the tire and the top of the fender well. What kind of idiot puts a body lift on a loving VAN. As if they aren't already top heavy as hell.

The POS rental Chrysler 200 I had a few years ago in the middle of January had the worst tires I've ever seen. Of course I had a rental during the middle of a snow storm.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Computer viking posted:

You'd think a normal hand-pull parking brake would be within their manufacturing capabilities.

Wasn't a required military specification in the 80's. But it did have a parking break, just no transmission parking prawl. They had it as an option. The first generation HMMWV's were 3 speed trans with a parking brake configured on the rear prop shaft. Dumb idea but you do what you have to do to meet the cost requirements set by the government. The commercial Hummers /H1's had the more expensive setup with the parking brake configured to actuate the springs on the rear calipers and a parking prawl on the transmissions.

Most modern HMMWV's have park on the transmission [there's 40+ different HMMWV variants], but it depends on if you got something made since the A2 revision in the early 90's or get stuck with some old 80's claptrap that usually gets shuttled down to National Guard units or surplussed off.

As for the H2/H3 things, the H2 actually has a unique GMT chassis specific to it, obviously the approach/departure/break over angles would require something different than a Suburban/Tahoe, there is a bunch of one off parts for it, but the electrics and drive train components are standard GMT. H3's are the same deal with a specific chassis for it vs the rest of the Colorado line.

People will poo poo on them but they go anywhere where our club goes and we got everything from H1's and Unimogs, Jeeps, FJ's etc. Never had a problem with the H2*'s/H3's keeping up. They're cheap, they all come with a rear eaton e-locker and if you keep an eye out for an adventure series you can get one with the air/tire pump and the front lockers as well. And most of them are street driven so they are hardly beat up.

*-actually there was one guy we had an issue with, he had a bro-dozer H2 and wouldn't listen to directions, but in general I found it as with anything, its more on the driver skill than the actal machine. I've seen enough stuck/broke down 4x4's of other/makes/models out there, but it doesn't bother me, if i had the money I'd have one of everything. Well maybe not :)

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

veedubfreak posted:

They do a 4x4 version now, it's lifted from the factory.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
There's a 4x4 sprinter in town. Sooo cool. But they are only like 1-2" taller than stock.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Big K of Justice posted:

Wasn't a required military specification in the 80's. But it did have a parking break, just no transmission parking prawl. They had it as an option. The first generation HMMWV's were 3 speed trans with a parking brake configured on the rear prop shaft. Dumb idea but you do what you have to do to meet the cost requirements set by the government. The commercial Hummers /H1's had the more expensive setup with the parking brake configured to actuate the springs on the rear calipers and a parking prawl on the transmissions.

Yeah, you'd think that a standard TH400 would be the cheaper choice instead of a custom solution.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I have a rental Charger right now while my car is getting bodywork done. It has all seasons and is miserable in the snow. Although I'm actually kind of impressed with the Charger. Its... not bad for Chrysler.

I drove RWD for 5+ years in the snow belt and the issue is tires but also transmission. An automatic RWD car in snow is terrifying. With stick you can select a higher gear and crawl up to speed without getting the rear end out of shape. An automatic is doing stupid poo poo like shifting mid corner, downshifting when you're on the throttle, and starting in first gear. I liked my old 5 series in snow so much that I want to go back to RWD. FWD just doesn't feel the same.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I also had a rental charger once and liked it a lot but I'll never own one because they aren't available with a stick at all.

I drove a manual challenger r/t a few months ago though and I was pretty unimpressed with everything related to the transmission, so maybe charger owners are dodging a bullet there.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
The disappointing thing about the Charger is that the excellent Pentastar engine is somewhat wasted trying to move something with the weight of a small moon.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Do any car rental companies in the US put winter tires on their cars? I'm pretty sure the rental I got when I was visiting Toronto had winter tires on it, but that may be the law up there.

It's not the Ontario law (yet), but Quebec does require snow tires from December to April. It'd be easier to just put snow tires on all their stock than try to keep track of which cars were allowed to cross the Quebec border, which is only like 4 hours from Toronto.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

dpack_1 posted:

I dunno, studded snow tires or even just snow tires will make a huge difference. Before I 4wd swapped my first MJ, I got it stuck on almost flat ground on hardpack snow because it had street allseasons on it. Rear right tire spun at idle. Jacked it up, stuck one of the 4 snow tires on wheels I had in the bed on halfassedly (the centerbores were too small and hadn't been milled out yet, or I would have just put all 4 on and never looked back) and the rear left started spinning at idle, so I bolted that one on and just rolled forward out of the spot I'd been stuck in previously, no effort.

Then I had to take them both back off because of the centerbore issue and put the street tires back on. That evening sucked.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

8ender posted:

The disappointing thing about the Charger is that the excellent Pentastar engine is somewhat wasted trying to move something with the weight of a small moon.

If this were the 60s someone at Chrysler would come back from their two-gram lunch and shove it into a stripped and caged Dart.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Seat Safety Switch posted:

If this were the 60s someone at Chrysler would come back from their two-gram lunch and shove it into a stripped and caged Dart.

Something like this?

I know it's not terrible. I just wanted an excuse to post it.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

kastein posted:

I dunno, studded snow tires or even just snow tires will make a huge difference. Before I 4wd swapped my first MJ, I got it stuck on almost flat ground on hardpack snow because it had street allseasons on it. Rear right tire spun at idle. Jacked it up, stuck one of the 4 snow tires on wheels I had in the bed on halfassedly (the centerbores were too small and hadn't been milled out yet, or I would have just put all 4 on and never looked back) and the rear left started spinning at idle, so I bolted that one on and just rolled forward out of the spot I'd been stuck in previously, no effort.

Then I had to take them both back off because of the centerbore issue and put the street tires back on. That evening sucked.

Some rear end in a top hat last winter had a brand new Camaro out on the highway during a snowstorm. Of course said rear end in a top hat is in the left lane, with the stock tires, just polishing the ice on flat ground. One of the few times I really felt like pulling over and slapping the taste out of someone's mouth for being an inconsiderate piece of poo poo. He caused a solid 2 mile backup on the highway because he thought it was a good idea to take a rwd car out in a snowstorm on summer tires.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Pretty sure they were just all season tires. Fine on a recently plowed and salted road, but digging it out of a driveway for an hour, throwing down a bunch of gravel behind the wheels and still needing some solid wood planks wedged under them just to get the thing to back up 20 yards was tedious as gently caress.

I know the last rental i had up in PA over xmas / new years had Florida plates on it, and most definitely didn't have winter tires at all, but a FWD Chevy Sonic isn't gonna let loose even if you begged it to.

I'm planning to go back in August and might look at other companies outside of Dollar as their fleet isn't really winning any awards in the muscle category. Really wanna try a new Camaro or Challenger. Or 'possibly' a 2015 /2016 Mustang, but I just haven't liked them things in decades.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

dpack_1 posted:

Pretty sure they were just all season tires. Fine on a recently plowed and salted road, but digging it out of a driveway for an hour, throwing down a bunch of gravel behind the wheels and still needing some solid wood planks wedged under them just to get the thing to back up 20 yards was tedious as gently caress.

Was there snow packed under the car, like you got it to roll back ~10 feet then it slowed to a halt and got stuck there?

That's the easiest way to get stuck in a driveway, the snow takes just enough weight off the tires that they spin forever. Taking a broom handle or something and sweeping it under the car to break everything up can be super effective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

xzzy posted:

Was there snow packed under the car, like you got it to roll back ~10 feet then it slowed to a halt and got stuck there?

That's the easiest way to get stuck in a driveway, the snow takes just enough weight off the tires that they spin forever. Taking a broom handle or something and sweeping it under the car to break everything up can be super effective.

This is what it took to get it rolling. You can kinda see how it had already slide a good 30 or more degrees to the left when trying to back it out without any gravel.