Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Bugblatter posted:

Pretty sure they say "Mediocre Buzzards." Buzzards being the attacking group. So a diss against the attackers that the suicide bomber took out. Did I hear wrong?

You did. It's 'mediocre, Morsov'

The guy who just made a car explode by jumping at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Another War Boy rescues Morsov a few minutes earlier. Morsov's car is damaged by the Buzzards, and a War Boy swings over from the War Rig to snatch Morsov to safety. You can actually hear him yell "Morsov!" to get Morsov's attention as he swings over.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Slit's an rear end in a top hat but I never thought he was trying to steal Morsov's kill. All of them throw their exploding sticks in unison at the same targets throughout the scene.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Oh he was definitely trying to kill steal, but hosed up.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

If you watch Morsov's leap, Slit sees him jump, as do the other warboys. Everyone else stops attacking to let Morsov have his glorious death, while Slit clearly throws his stick a second after Morsov leaps.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
It's pretttttty loving obvious.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

If you watch Morsov's leap, Slit sees him jump, as do the other warboys. Everyone else stops attacking to let Morsov have his glorious death, while Slit clearly throws his stick a second after Morsov leaps.

Yeah, all the other War Boys have chilled out and Morsov's two sticks would have been enough. Slit just waits until Morsov is about to hit, attacks the car right as he does, and then insults Morsov's corpse for not committing suicide in a badass enough way.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
One of the universal truths of the wasteland: Slit is a dick.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

Slit's an rear end in a top hat but I never thought he was trying to steal Morsov's kill. All of them throw their exploding sticks in unison at the same targets throughout the scene.

He blatantly was, and even timed his thunderpoon throw so that it hits just before Morsov lands. He's also the only one who calls Morsov mediocre, while everyone else ignores him and witnesses Morsov. Slit is a wanker.

Can we not make "defending Slit" the new "but which leg caused her to slip?"

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Vagabundo posted:

He blatantly was, and even timed his thunderpoon throw so that it hits just before Morsov lands. He's also the only one who calls Morsov mediocre, while everyone else ignores him and witnesses Morsov. Slit is a wanker.

Can we not make "defending Slit" the new "but which leg caused her to slip?"

I'm not defending Slit. Morsov could have survived that and later on returned all five women back to Immortan Joe unharmed single handed and Slit would still have called him mediocre.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
I love how after seeing this movie a half a dozen times I still notice little things.

One thing that always struck me is the fantastic fight choreography between Max, Furiosa and Nux when they first approach the War Rig. The sort-of-three-way brawl moving across the scene, various objects in the environment being quickly introduced, used by the characters in creative ways and discarded without ever slowing down the pace of the fight. Of all things it makes me think of the wacky fight scenes in the Pirates of the Caribbean movies without all the constant pauses in the action for mugging and one-liners (even when they give Nux a few funny lines it's always a sidebar to action going on elsewhere in the scene). It's a very fun scene to watch that gets kinda forgotten among all the higher-profile action.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Wild T posted:

I love how after seeing this movie a half a dozen times I still notice little things.

One thing that always struck me is the fantastic fight choreography between Max, Furiosa and Nux when they first approach the War Rig. The sort-of-three-way brawl moving across the scene, various objects in the environment being quickly introduced, used by the characters in creative ways and discarded without ever slowing down the pace of the fight. Of all things it makes me think of the wacky fight scenes in the Pirates of the Caribbean movies without all the constant pauses in the action for mugging and one-liners (even when they give Nux a few funny lines it's always a sidebar to action going on elsewhere in the scene). It's a very fun scene to watch that gets kinda forgotten among all the higher-profile action.

I also liked that the wives don't just stand there as passive observers, and they actively try to help Furiosa or hinder Max and Nux.

Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

The Zombie Guy posted:

I also liked that the wives don't just stand there as passive observers, and they actively try to help Furiosa or hinder Max and Nux.

As soon as the struggle for the gun started in that fight, I couldn't help but laugh when Nux grabbed the magazine and was instantly dogpiled by all the wives to try to keep him down and away from Max and Furiosa. it's such a fast moment that I missed it on my first viewing, but it really shows that they're not just damsels in distress.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Wild T posted:

The whole movie is a never-ending procession of these moments, where you're going "drat, this is one of the best ___________ I've ever seen!"

Right from the very beginning when the warboys flip Max's car, I sat up and took notice because it was one of the most impactful, visceral car crashes I've ever seen in a movie. Then there's the beginning of the chase with the gigantic bulldozer truck thing, which is unlike anything I'd ever seen, straight into the three-way fight, then into the dirtbike riders, and on and on and on until the movie ends. Its having your mind blown, but continuously for two hours. I really don't understand how this movie exists to be honest.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

So besides directing the Mad Max films, George Miller also directed Happy Feet. Everyone seems to dislike that film but it's one of my favorite 3D animated films in recent years. What's this thread's opinion?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

SciFiDownBeat posted:

So besides directing the Mad Max films, George Miller also directed Happy Feet. Everyone seems to dislike that film but it's one of my favorite 3D animated films in recent years. What's this thread's opinion?

I liked it. I never saw the second one.

He also directed both Babe films. The first one is really good. The second one is... really bizarre.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Miller wrote and produced Babe, he didn't direct it. For some reason he felt the need to direct the sequel though.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Miller wrote and produced Babe, he didn't direct it. For some reason he felt the need to direct the sequel though.

Babe: Pig in the City was also considerably darker than the first one, which was based on a pre-existing text.

There is a very cartoon-y aspect to the Mad Max films, Road Warrior onwards, so it shouldn't really be a surprise that Miller has a few animated films under his belt, to be honest.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Even Fury Road itself was in production as an animated film at one point, earlier in the thread some concept art can be seen from this.

I'm hype for Batman vs. Superman, but Miller was attached to direct a BvS movie and also an animated Justice League briefly in like 2003, I can only imagine.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Feb 17, 2016

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Basebf555 posted:

Which explains why it's one of the best children's films ever made, rather than just a really good children's film.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Was very pleasantly surprised by the film as a whole, and a little thrown by the realistic looks of the penguins that didn't quite seem to mesh with the very human mouth movements.

Chair In A Basket
Aug 6, 2005

I'm basically Jesus.

Nap Ghost
Did this movie win best picture yet?

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Watched Fury Road a couple months back and just this week binge watched the original three. I'd only seen the actual Thunderdome scene of Beyond Thunderdome as a kid so watching the trilogy was fun, although Beyond Thundercome came off more as a family movie than what I'd expect of Mad Max. I think a preteen dropped the F bomb in it, though.

Gonna rewatch Fury Road. These movies are cool as gently caress.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Sel Nar posted:

As soon as the struggle for the gun started in that fight, I couldn't help but laugh when Nux grabbed the magazine and was instantly dogpiled by all the wives to try to keep him down and away from Max and Furiosa. it's such a fast moment that I missed it on my first viewing, but it really shows that they're not just damsels in distress.

And in this little thing there is another little detail as Cheedo tries to stop Dag from getting involved to keep her safe. You learn a lot of character background in just a few moments as you see how the Wives reacted. One other thing I liked a lot was how the boltcutter looked heavy as gently caress when Furiosa swung it at Max. That thing would hurt if it connected and looked nothing like the light prop it probably was.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

CeeJee posted:

And in this little thing there is another little detail as Cheedo tries to stop Dag from getting involved to keep her safe. You learn a lot of character background in just a few moments as you see how the Wives reacted. One other thing I liked a lot was how the boltcutter looked heavy as gently caress when Furiosa swung it at Max. That thing would hurt if it connected and looked nothing like the light prop it probably was.

It really looks like Furiosa is swinging that thing with the intention of taking Max's head off, which is probably at least partially due to the footage being sped up a little bit.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

CeeJee posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again: the bolt cutters were the real hero of the movie.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 207 days!

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again: the bolt cutters were the real hero of the movie.

:words: :words: symbolism :words:.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The Home Depot really missed out on the cross promotion opportunity.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Something I thought about today while zoning out swimming laps:

I always assumed Furiosa had her arm cut off at some point... it's a violent life she lives. Then I got to wondering.... what if she and her mother were kidnapped from The Green Place and taken to the Citadel to be another breeder.... and why was she not then a breeder, any more.... maybe she was barren? Suggesting that Furiosa may have spent her post-adolescence being repeatedly raped by IJ.

But then I wondered... maybe her arm is a birth defect, so IJ wouldn't try to breed her, as he was looking for perfect babbies.

Does the literature of the backstory address any of this?

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

GORDON posted:

I always assumed Furiosa had her arm cut off at some point... it's a violent life she lives. Then I got to wondering.... what if she and her mother were kidnapped from The Green Place and taken to the Citadel to be another breeder.... and why was she not then a breeder, any more.... maybe she was barren? Suggesting that Furiosa may have spent her post-adolescence being repeatedly raped by IJ.

But then I wondered... maybe her arm is a birth defect, so IJ wouldn't try to breed her, as he was looking for perfect babbies.

Miller and Theron have confirmed that Furiosa lost her arm in combat, but it's unclear exactly when (though she was probably already in service to The Immortan)

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Miller and Theron have confirmed that Furiosa lost her arm in combat, but it's unclear exactly when (though she was probably already in service to The Immortan)

Also, I think earlier in the thread people who were experienced with missing limbs confirmed that her stump resembles that of an amputated arm rather than a birth defect. It does make me wonder if the skeleton arm painted on the War Rig's door was a later addition in honor of her, or if she even lost her arm as the War Rig driver and the skeleton arm was a sort of half-joking half-honorary addition in reference of what happened.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

I figured she probably lost it as a War Pup. The fact that she's an Imperator in that environment means she's a done some awful poo poo, and for all we know, she might have even been party to at least one fo the wives being abducted or whatever. That's not to mention however many drifters like Max she may have been responsible for their imprisonment as bloodbags. Basically, she'd need to be a pretty severe badass to survive in that environment, and rise up to such a level.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Vagabundo posted:

I figured she probably lost it as a War Pup. The fact that she's an Imperator in that environment means she's a done some awful poo poo, and for all we know, she might have even been party to at least one fo the wives being abducted or whatever. That's not to mention however many drifters like Max she may have been responsible for their imprisonment as bloodbags. Basically, she'd need to be a pretty severe badass to survive in that environment, and rise up to such a level.

Judging from her comic, I don't necessarily think she was present for the abductions. The comic frames her appearance as the Wives' bodyguard with her as a shadowed, distant figure that none of the Wives have any sort of connection to. I think it's more likely that they just knew she was a failed wife-turned-servant for Joe and thus viewed her as nothing more than a puppet.

There's also some more info on exactly how the Wives are chosen. There's a shot left in the first elevator scene where a pretty girl (also played by a model, I think) is being lifted up, and a deleted scene showed her being chosen as a new wife. The same scene showed a woman letting herself be chosen as a milker and a deformed baby being rejected as a War Pup. I think Joe will take women from anywhere, even the Wretched on the ground below, as long as they're pretty enough to be accepted. So the current stable of Wives may have been kidnapping victims, but others (especially Cheedo, who's suffering from some bad emotional abuse) could have been willing volunteers looking for a better life.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I mean I think that while the mechanics and reasoning about how wives are chosen and wher war pups come from are complex, the language of the film is pretty simple. If you are allowed to ride the elevator to the Citedel, you sure don't get a say in what you do when you get to the top. Until Joe and Rictus are gone.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
The ANZAC legend is a precursor to the Warboy Valhalla myth. Argue for or against.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Snak posted:

I mean I think that while the mechanics and reasoning about how wives are chosen and wher war pups come from are complex, the language of the film is pretty simple. If you are allowed to ride the elevator to the Citedel, you sure don't get a say in what you do when you get to the top. Until Joe and Rictus are gone.

Assuming the deleted scenes are still canon, you do get some choice in that you have to appeal to the guys on the elevator that you're worth being taken up for something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thT-HbvpKYI

Her (temp) baby gets rejected as a War Pup, but she's able to show herself off as a milker and get brought aboard that way.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
But that's what I mean. There's reasons you may or may not be allowed on the elevator. But being accepted onto the elevator doesn't really give you any power over what you become when you get to the top.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

chitoryu12 posted:

There's also some more info on exactly how the Wives are chosen. There's a shot left in the first elevator scene where a pretty girl (also played by a model, I think) is being lifted up, and a deleted scene showed her being chosen as a new wife. The same scene showed a woman letting herself be chosen as a milker and a deformed baby being rejected as a War Pup. I think Joe will take women from anywhere, even the Wretched on the ground below, as long as they're pretty enough to be accepted. So the current stable of Wives may have been kidnapping victims, but others (especially Cheedo, who's suffering from some bad emotional abuse) could have been willing volunteers looking for a better life.

Wives are chosen based on their attractiveness yes, but mostly chosen based on their full life/half life status (which I still take to mean as either not having/having leukemia or cancer).

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 207 days!

GORDON posted:

She may have become involved in the Citadel society before it reached its present state. I'm sure there are all sorts of ways for her to have earned her status as a warrior and one highly-esteemed by Joe; it always just made the most sense to me that she did so before his power became as entrenched as it is in the film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
By far the fuzziest part of the entire Fury Road set up is exactly when society collapsed and just how long it took for alternative societies to emerge. Tom Hardy (the actor) is only 12 years older than Nicholas Holt, and Charlize Theron is 2 years old than Hardy. Yet Hardy plays an ex-cop, which seems to imply that he grew up before society had entirely collapsed. On the other hand Furiosa and Nux seem to have spent their entire lives in a post-collapse world. Furiosa was abducted as a child but had already learned all sorts of elaborate rituals, tribal associations, etc.

It could be Furiosa is younger than she looks and that Max is much older. Or Max really is some kind of eternal ageless Road Warrior who has actually been wondering through the desert. Or, more likely, Fury Road's plotline was originally written for Mel Gibson, in which case the age differences would have made a bit more sense.

Other than Max the only characters from the pre-collapse world are really fuckin old -- the Vuvalini, Ms Giddy and Immortan Joe. So I don't know if we're supposed to think Max is older than he looks, or that he was a cop in some last-holdout of civilization that lasted longer than most other areas, or whether this is just a case where the movie is great enough that you should just ignore the dodgy age-continuity errors that crop up in this particular instance.

• Locked thread