Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
So I'm not sure I understand how Flamers actually work: From 0s to 4.75s, YOU don't generate any heat, but the enemy mech does. Is that correct?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

veedubfreak posted:

OH poo poo GUYS, WE MADE THE WORST WEAPON IN THE GAME USEABLE. MUST HOTFIX.

Why does pgi hate fun.

I think the real issue is that the flamer buff was so poorly implemented it guaranteed abuse. That PGI couldn't see the issue before it got into the hands of the public is far worse a problem than a quick fix patch.

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos
it would be cool if they could add a jumpjet like mechanic to flamers

that could be the perfect balance between being effective but limited, as well bringing back the old flamer effects

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Raged posted:

Just the problem that once a mech is at max heat you will have to not fire your flamers for 4+ second. Otherwise you will max out your heat. The macro thing was crazy but even stuttering with a mouse does not work now. It's an overeaction.

In that 4.75 seconds they cool down to at least 75% or at most 65%, or they've shut down and you've got plenty of time. It's not a big deal.

E: Oops, Olesh is correct. Revised numbers are enemy can cool down to between 35-55% total heat in the full 9.5s

Unhappy Meal fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Feb 19, 2016

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
:pgi:

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.
:goonsay: It's worse than that; there's a 4.75 second delay before the timer even starts on reducing the exponential counter on flamers. Now, if you fire flamers for 4.75s, you've built up 4.75s of "exponential heat" for the timer, but you need a minimum of 9.5s not firing to clear all of your built up exponential heat - and the time you have to spend resets back to 0 every time you fire. So if you've built up 5 s of exponential heat, and then sit still for 6s, but then fire your flamers for 2s, you've actually built up an extra 0.75s of exponential heat. :goonsay:

It's an incredibly lovely knee-jerk reaction to a problem they were denying existed. The "problem" of people being heat-neutral with flamers could have been solved at a much smaller minimum delay than 4.75s, but :pgi:

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Pgi is stupid, how is anyone surprised. They literally made the game unplayable for two years before.

E: like, :pgi: exists for a reason.

Drythe fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Feb 19, 2016

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Drythe posted:

Pgi is stupid, how is anyone surprised. They literally made the game unplayable for two years before.

E: like, :pgi: exists for a reason.

This is why you never give PGI money. You don't reward stupidity.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
But no one else is making stompy robit games! Where else can I throw my robot money at?

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

You guys are over reacting.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Great Beer posted:

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
It was pretty fun locking down helios laser vomit builds with a nova. 6 flamers + six spl and soloed a timber who couldnt fire his 2 lpl & 4 ml. I had to pause a couple times to cool off when he'd try to shoot and shut down. He tried to run, but eventually stopped and pulled a :smith: and let me back core him

but yea seemed a bit overboard for a half-ton weapon

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Great Beer posted:

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Great Beer posted:

The game was dead for two years, they have shown they are very dumb about many issues, and :pgi: was bought because they were dumb years ago.

Idgi

E: also the drat helios users still haven't been banned, which is even more annoying than the drat flamer poo poo.

Drythe fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Feb 19, 2016

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Drythe posted:

The game was dead for two years, they have shown they are very dumb about many issues, and :pgi: was bought because they were dumb years ago.

Idgi

E: also the drat helios users still haven't been banned, which is even more annoying than the drat flamer poo poo.

Agreed. Still miffed I got banned for bringing it up on the forums.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

You can still lock people down. You just need two flamer mechs to do it. And if you're complaining about that my question is why you aren't already roaming with a friend. Never roam alone. :colbert:

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
what is Helios

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Farecoal posted:

what is Helios

Cryengine aimbot.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

I'm curious if lumberyard would fix it. Or if they would just ban people.

Ren and Stimpire
Oct 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Great Beer posted:

Cryengine aimbot.

See also: modpudding, 228, Lord, and about 40% of the discussion in this thread.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
I think the people who were paranoid about being discovered aimbotting were just like "yeah i think im gonna take a break from this game now for a while..." or they made a new account so they could start grinding ahead of time.

Just like how those NBA players were like "yeah im gonna take it easy and relax for a season" once they started testing for HGH poo poo.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Sold my Riflemans. Sold them and bought a Stormcrow. Never looking back.

gently caress RFL.

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos
no NBA player took a break due to HGH testing

however slimming down a year or two in advance of the testing? maybe, possibly

absolutely yes

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

teepo posted:

no NBA player took a break due to HGH testing

however slimming down a year or two in advance of the testing? maybe, possibly

absolutely yes

you're right i misremembered

example: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nba/charlotte-hornets/article18696437.html

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008
I just went up to rank 3 and I'm unsure. My scores have either been my usual above average or just abysmal. The presence of rank 2 people is pretty obvious in terms of the expense going on with all the mech, some rounds I feel I get zapped with unusual speed. I got put away on polar highlands in my gauss dire with 99 damage output, which is insane to me because that's my best mech on my best map.

Ergh, all my friends are rank 4 and 5, been getting friends into this for weeks now. I don't wanna group up and have our team get destroyed/my friends hate it because now we're competing with a sperg world we never wanted to endure and will never be able to step away from.

Anyway in other news three pals and I all have been trying to perfect our Urban RL60 builds where we stab one target at a time with AC20s at close range until they fall over. It was initially done for hilarity (people either love us or hate us when we fill 1/3 of the team) but we've found that we can take down assaults stupid fast some times. We've had Atlases, Timber Wolves and Ebon Jaguars try to run away from us. When all four of us are in we usually get 3 kills spread between the four of us. Dire Wolves seem to be our natural prey, we cored one inside 7 seconds once.

DeliciousPatriotism fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Feb 19, 2016

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

Pooncha posted:

That fellow is an embarrassment to people with Asperger's.

Literally no one has Aspergers. It was removed from the DSM years ago. It's not a diagnosis and while topically we remember it as one - as the years go by it's going to become more and more meaningless and about as effectual as saying "I have the vapors" or "my black humours are unaligned, give me leeches!"

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

Literally no one has Aspergers. It was removed from the DSM years ago. It's not a diagnosis and while topically we remember it as one - as the years go by it's going to become more and more meaningless and about as effectual as saying "I have the vapors" or "my black humours are unaligned, give me leeches!"

"I see colors and smell flowers when I see numbers!"

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Flamers, still hilarious in solo queue where you can catch people out. Still not so great in group queue. Also I suspect they hosed up (:pgi:) whatever they were trying to code and there's just zero grace period on flamers now.

E: Or they've left out important mechanical facts like the grace period being divided by the number of flamers, but gently caress trying to calculate that with exponential heat.

Unhappy Meal fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Feb 19, 2016

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

My job is disability support and I work daily with people who actually have autism. I have clients that spend most of their days screaming and throwing things and bashing their head against the wall and some that are much more well adjusted. There is a 99.9% chance the fucktards posting the MWO forums are self diagnosed shut in special snowflakes that I would like to kick in the balls.

On a lighter note, are Mad Dogs worth buying?

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

quote:

• Fixed an issue where grouping of Weight Classes was not working correctly in Solo queue.

So thats why i was in Alpha all evening with my Atlas!

Raged posted:

The MadDog was my very first bought mech, because i had no clue back then.
People been telling me its poo poo, and frankly, its no Marauder or Timberwolf.
But i love it because it looks awesome and has its uses.

2x3 SRM6 brawler with pulses, 6xLRM5 with larges, if i can bring myself to shell out some robotcash i will try 6xstreak one day.

You will need to learn what you can and can not, then its adequate.
Just remember, its a 60 ton heavy, the lightest heavy tonnage there is. Its basically a fat medium.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

Washout posted:

"I see colors and smell flowers when I see numbers!"

Well no, synesthesia is legitimately real. I mean I get what you're saying and I like you but that's a false and fundamentally incorrect analogy.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

Raged posted:

Basically no. There is one fun build that uses 6xALRM5s and 4-5 spls/mpls to basically chain stun someone in 150m+ brawl range. Otherwise you can boat SRMs on it but you are always better off in a Timberwolf.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

I like wub-wub and making the most of quirks. Would a 7xMPL, standard engine TDR-5SS be a terrible purchase?

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Basically no. There is one fun build that uses 6xALRM5s and 4-5 spls/mpls to basically chain stun someone in 150m+ brawl range. Otherwise you can boat SRMs on it but you are always better off in a Timberwolf.

And I'm still going to buy one at some point because Mechwarrior 2 nostalgia :cripes:. (it's just going to be either an SRM brawler or a lovely streak dog)

^^^Thunderbolt-5SS can do some laser boating for you. If it's CW, put an LPL on there, otherwise unless you end up on Polar or Alpine, MPL do some good work. Just check your heat management.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

The Repo Man posted:

And I'm still going to buy one at some point because Mechwarrior 2 nostalgia :cripes:. (it's just going to be either an SRM brawler or a lovely streak dog)

I mastered and sold the following so far just in case they ever get good again:

Jagermechs
Awesomes
Jenners
Spiders
Orions
Centurions
Kit Foxes
Adders
Have not sold all the mad dogs yet but probably will.

And probably a couple more I can't remember, eventually you need more mechs bays for actual robots you can play the game with instead of garage queens.

If you decide to make a SRM6 brawler put on 4 srm6's and don't stretch it to 6 srm6's, that just does not fit as well as 4 srm6+4er small lasers, and then you have to break up firing groups instead of just alpha striking people in the face. The streak dog is dogshit and not even worth it really, other than inflating end of match damage numbers, plus it requires the range mod or it's even more worthless. 4 med pulse and 4 srm4+A is probably the best build for it really.

Washout fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Feb 19, 2016

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Washout posted:

I mastered and sold the following so far just in case they ever get good again:

Jagermechs
Awesomes
Jenners
Spiders
Orions
Centurions
Kit Foxes
Adders
Have not sold all the mad dogs yet but probably will.

And probably a couple more I can't remember, eventually you need more mechs bays for actual robots you can play the game with instead of garage queens.

If you decide to make a SRM6 brawler put on 4 srm6's and don't stretch it to 6 srm6's, that just does not fit as well as 4 srm6+4er small lasers, and then you have to break up firing groups instead of just alpha striking people in the face. The streak dog is dogshit and not even worth it really, other than inflating end of match damage numbers, plus it requires the range mod or it's even more worthless. 4 med pulse and 4 srm4+A is probably the best build for it really.

If you master a mech and then sell it and later re-buy it, will it still be mastered?

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I was running the SRMdog while grinding xp to mastery, and i was having fun and moderate success with it.
Its not an alpha-atlas, you need the motor skill to operate 4 weapon groups.
I liked it.

quote:

If you master a mech and then sell it and later re-buy it, will it still be mastered?

Yes, as you dont master *this mechright there*, but rather this model/version.

Yolomon Wayne fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Feb 19, 2016

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

NihilCredo posted:

I like wub-wub and making the most of quirks. Would a 7xMPL, standard engine TDR-5SS be a terrible purchase?

nope ur doin gods work

that's a tight build that's a horrific monster up close.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Up close and personal - Dog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

http://goo.gl/CDJMUQ

Bestdog

E:too :effort: to edit the link but bring the prime left torso for that sweet 10% cooldown.

Great Beer fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Feb 19, 2016

• Locked thread