Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

In fairness I don't want him to cut it out, I like his posts :allears: I just like them more when they aren't 13+ words at a time.

FTFY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

porkswordonboard posted:

So I had a very eloquent response but my browser crashed, so I'll simplify. You and some of the other folks who responded to my post are in the right. It's entirely more complicated than I (poorly) expressed. Anyone who feels attraction to both sexes is absolutely welcome to call themselves bisexual. My one annoyance is with those rare people who try to jump on the bandwagon of 'specialness' that the LGBT community offers, and as a grumpy dyke I feel uncomfortable when someone labels themselves bisexual because they kissed a girl once, never really intending to do so again. These people do exist, and although it's none of my drat business what they do, I feel as though it somehow detracts from the real and dangerous struggles LGBT folks go through. Even though I know it's silly, and I shouldn't care. But I think it's part of the reason I feel weird using 'bisexual' as a self-identifier. It's a gut reaction, and not really applicable to the intricacies of how the world works, and I'm already sorry for re-starting this derail.

Also, cash crab, I'm truly sorry to hear about your situation, boning-wise. It just goes to show how truly complicated sexuality is, and why we shouldn't pretend to know what's going on in someone's brain and pants.

To compliment my babbling, I offer this controversial gem, because it always makes me laugh:

http://41.media.tumblr.com/5e736612510bd6858d507b0f4e95f902/tumblr_n8o8ncOrV21srok51o2_r1_1280.jpg

No one cares, or: Why couldn't your browser have crashed again

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

porkswordonboard posted:

To compliment my babbling, I offer this controversial gem, because it always makes me laugh:

http://41.media.tumblr.com/5e736612510bd6858d507b0f4e95f902/tumblr_n8o8ncOrV21srok51o2_r1_1280.jpg

Yet another example of Welsh erasure.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

I'm all for LoB walls of text regardless of content if it drives someone else into a weird meltdown spiral

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE
So svbtle is apparently a blogging site so I don't even need to pretend to shoehorn this in. I'll give you a link to a WaPo thing rather than his blog.

Justin Keller posted:

Open letter to SF Mayor Ed Lee and Greg Suhr (police chief)

I am writing today, to voice my concern and outrage over the increasing homeless and drug problem that the city is faced with. I’ve been living in SF for over three years, and without a doubt it is the worst it has ever been.1 Every day, on my way to, and from work, I see people sprawled across the sidewalk, tent cities, human feces, and the faces of addiction. The city is becoming a shanty town… Worst of all, it is unsafe.

This holiday weekend, I had my parents in town from Santa Barbara and relatives from Denver and Rochester New York. Unfortunately, there was three separate incidents and countless times that we were approached for money and harassed.

The first incident involved a homeless drunken man in the morning coming up to their car and leaning up against it. Another bystander got frustrated with the drunken man, and they got into a heated pushing and shoving altercation.

The second incident occurred as we were leaving Tadich Grill in the financial district. A distraught, and high person was right in front of the restaurant, yelling, screaming, yelling about cocaine, and even, attempted to pull his pants down and show his genitals.

Finally, last night Valentines, I was at Kabuki Theater inside watching a movie. About two hours into the film, a man stumbled in the front door. He proceeded to walk into the theater, down the aisle to the front, wobbled toward the emergency door, opened it, and then took his shirt off and laid down. He then came back into the theater shielding his eyes from the running projector. My girlfriend was terrified and myself and many people ran out of the theater.2

What are you going to do to address this problem? The residents of this amazing city no longer feel safe. I know people are frustrated about gentrification happening in the city, but the reality is, we live in a free market society. The wealthy working people have earned their right to live in the city. They went out, got an education, work hard, and earned it.3 I shouldn’t have to worry about being accosted. I shouldn’t have to see the pain, struggle, and despair of homeless people to and from my way to work every day. I want my parents when they come visit to have a great experience, and enjoy this special place.

I am telling you, there is going to be a revolution. People on both sides are frustrated, and you can sense the anger. The city needs to tackle this problem head on, it can no longer ignore it and let people do whatever they want in the city. I don’t have a magic solution… It is a very difficult and complex situation, but somehow during Super Bowl, almost all of the homeless and riff raff seem to up and vanish.4 I’m willing to bet that was not a coincidence. Money and political pressure can make change. So it is time to start making progress, or we as citizens will make a change in leadership and elect new officials who can.

Democracy is not the last stop in politics. In-fact, the order of progression according to Socrates via Plato in the Republic goes: timocracy, oligarchy, democracy, and finally tyranny. Socrates argues that a society will decay and pass through each government in succession, eventually becoming a tyranny.5

“The greater my city, the greater the individual.”

1) You moved there and it keeps getting worse the longer you live there? Could there be a causal link between the two?
2) Really, you're so scared of a man taking his shirt off. You live in SF, isn't that kind of expected there?
3) BOOOTSTRAAAAPPSSS
4) Obviously he doesn't understand that there would have been massive rights violations to move people out of town for the weekend so that Super Bowl went well, how you can bootstraps if your rights are being violated buddy?
5) Advocating for tyranny, classy mother fucker right here.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
I hope that dude gets hit by his own Mercedes.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
"The reality is, we live in a free market society. The wealthy working people have earned their right to live in the city."

"I am telling you, there is going to be a revolution."

Amazing that someone can type both these things and not realize the incredible irony.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Chomp8645 posted:

"The reality is, we live in a free market society. The wealthy working people have earned their right to live in the city."

poo poo like this annoys me so much. My boyfriend is a programmer, and he readily admits that he was very lucky. He was lucky that both of his parents were doctors and his school was paid for. He was lucky that his hobby turned out to be a well-paying profession. He was lucky that he had friends in the city who helped him land a job.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

A smart man would go out and buy a Deadpool costume then have tons of delightful sex. Unfortunately Goofus here chose to get jealous of a Halloween costume instead. Don't be like Goofus.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

the age difference makes it so much worse :shittypop:

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

FlyinPingu posted:

Hahaha I didn't even notice that at first. Good job, "dude who's dating a redditor 14 years younger than him and got loving IDIOTED' by a comic book movie."

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Scathach posted:

A smart man would go out and buy a Deadpool costume then have tons of delightful sex. Unfortunately Goofus here chose to get jealous of a Halloween costume instead. Don't be like Goofus.

Hahaha, I know, right??

Guy: "What turns you on?"
Girl: "Ooo...well, I really love a man in a three-piece suit."
Guy: "OH, so any rear end in a top hat in a suit can pick you up?! Don't loving try to even call me tonight you whore."
Girl: ...i like being called a whore too

Complete wrong direction to take that.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Elderbean posted:

He was lucky that he had friends in the city who helped him land a job.

It drives me nuts. In my animation classes we had one guy who was amazing, like disney quality hand drawn poo poo, but an anti-social rear end in a top hat. Not a bad guy but I'm sure he was autistic or something because you could pretty much see the panic in his face every time someone he didn't know talked to him. So he didn't talk to people much, but his work was the best in class. Then there was the guy who spent the whole class just chatting with the professor, he barely passed. His work was basically just a step above a powerpoint, at least when he actually showed up for the presentations and turned it in. But guess which of these two got a ton of recommendations from the professor for work once we graduated? Last I saw the first guy he was working at Target. It's just kind of depressing every time I read someone say "Oh just work hard and you'll get a good job!" because that's not how it works at all. I don't think it's ever worked that way, has it?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

if you're an anti-social rear end in a top hat, well

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
Here, have a creepy picture I took of my neighbor's house!

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Weatherman posted:

No one cares, or: Why couldn't your browser have crashed again

Seems like kind of a dickish response to someone who recognizes that they're not viewing things rationally and admitted it

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

Birb Katter posted:

So svbtle is apparently a blogging site so I don't even need to pretend to shoehorn this in. I'll give you a link to a WaPo thing rather than his blog.

1) You moved there and it keeps getting worse the longer you live there? Could there be a causal link between the two?
2) Really, you're so scared of a man taking his shirt off. You live in SF, isn't that kind of expected there?
3) BOOOTSTRAAAAPPSSS
4) Obviously he doesn't understand that there would have been massive rights violations to move people out of town for the weekend so that Super Bowl went well, how you can bootstraps if your rights are being violated buddy?
5) Advocating for tyranny, classy mother fucker right here.

“Above all, one hideous figure grew as familiar as if it had been before the general gaze from the foundations of the world - the figure of the sharp female called La Guillotine.
It was the popular theme for jests; it was the best cure for headache, it infallibly prevented hair from turning gray, it imparted a peculiar delicacy to the complexion, it was the National Razor which shaved close: who kissed La Guillotine looked through the little window and sneezed into the sack.”

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

FlyinPingu posted:

Agh, jesus christ I didn't even look at that, gently caress.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Nuebot posted:

It drives me nuts. In my animation classes we had one guy who was amazing, like disney quality hand drawn poo poo, but an anti-social rear end in a top hat. Not a bad guy but I'm sure he was autistic or something because you could pretty much see the panic in his face every time someone he didn't know talked to him. So he didn't talk to people much, but his work was the best in class. Then there was the guy who spent the whole class just chatting with the professor, he barely passed. His work was basically just a step above a powerpoint, at least when he actually showed up for the presentations and turned it in. But guess which of these two got a ton of recommendations from the professor for work once we graduated? Last I saw the first guy he was working at Target. It's just kind of depressing every time I read someone say "Oh just work hard and you'll get a good job!" because that's not how it works at all. I don't think it's ever worked that way, has it?

What you described doesn't sound like an rear end in a top hat, just someone with social anxiety. And while it's true that someone outgoing will always get ahead first, your professor is the rear end in a top hat for recommending a mediocre student instead of helping a genuinely talented person break out of their shell.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
It's been a rough couple of weeks for white people, luckily a few brave souls have spoken up against their persecution.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
It's also possible your professor saw someone who will fit better into what is the factory art system of animation. Sad but true, it's a team-based art form and so, being able to work in a team is a really integral part of it. You don't have to be the best artist, you just have to be good enough. Often, it's more about speed than skill.

Because of this, the talented but neuroatypical types can sometimes get crushed by this system. Just because someone has a talent for something, doesn't necessarily mean they're built to (or should) pursue it as a career.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

StrangersInTheNight posted:

It's also possible your professor saw someone who will fit better into what is the factory art system of animation. Sad but true, it's a team-based art form and so, being able to work in a team is a really integral part of it. You don't have to be the best artist, you just have to be good enough. Often, it's more about speed than skill.

Because of this, the talented but neuroatypical types can sometimes get crushed by this system. Just because someone has a talent for something, doesn't necessarily mean they're built to (or should) pursue it as a career.

He said the student recommended also only occasionally showed up to class or turned things in, so no, that's not someone ready to survive in an animation workmill. There are also jobs like concepts artists who work outside the factory side of things, but need to be genuinely talented that a professor could have encouraged a shyer person to pursue.

I know I'm derailing about someone I don't know, but hearing about a professor like that does annoy me. Being in a collaborative art field is tough, even more so with social anxiety, and having professors willing to help me with that side of it was part of what allowed me to actually succeed in what I do.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer
Have some good clean IOSM

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Well now I really want to know why the bible says Obama won't finish his second term. You can't leave us hanging.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

hyperhazard posted:

Well now I really want to know why the bible says Obama won't finish his second term. You can't leave us hanging.

My name is Alexander Cain. I am a theology professor working at one of the largest universities in Arkansas. I earned a doctor's degree in archeology and ancient history and have dedicated more than 17 years of my life to the study of the most cryptic texts of the Bible.

What I discovered will send shivers down the spine of every true Christian and Patriot... because inside the final chapters of the Holy Book, the prophets give a very precise account of what is happening in America at this very moment... And they foretell a very dark and sinister fate for our great country...

According to 4 major biblical prophets something truly terrifying is coming our way, and it will hit homeland before the 1st of January 2017...

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Lottery of Babylon posted:

My name is Alexander Cain. I am a theology professor working at one of the largest universities in Arkansas. I earned a doctor's degree in archeology and ancient history and have dedicated more than 17 years of my life to the study of the most cryptic texts of the Bible.

What I discovered will send shivers down the spine of every true Christian and Patriot... because inside the final chapters of the Holy Book, the prophets give a very precise account of what is happening in America at this very moment... And they foretell a very dark and sinister fate for our great country...

According to 4 major biblical prophets something truly terrifying is coming our way, and it will hit homeland before the 1st of January 2017...

Alone in the Dark remake looking good.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

No. Just an ungrateful Dindu. Didn't get a nomination. Wife started poo poo, couldn't let his wife have bigger balls than him, so now he's gotta make that big deal out of poo poo. 🙄
Counterpoint: LaVoy Finnicum (guy from the Oregon Occupation who got shot) was a dindu. If the term has nothing to do with race, then let's get this all over the internet!

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

JT Smiley posted:

It's been a rough couple of weeks for white people, luckily a few brave souls have spoken up against their persecution.

What did he do?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Dr_Amazing posted:

What did he do?

Performed while being black, presumably.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Trump will get the Republican nomination before then right? Could it maybe be that predicted instead I wonder?

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Stay awhile, and listen...

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

trickybiscuits posted:

Counterpoint: LaVoy Finnicum (guy from the Oregon Occupation who got shot) was a dindu. If the term has nothing to do with race, then let's get this all over the internet!

Counterpoint: Let's never, ever use the word "dindu" ever again. It's a horrible word.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Dr_Amazing posted:

What did he do?

He and his backup were dressed as a chain gang. They sang The Blacker the Berry and Alright.

Also:

Leavemywife posted:

Performed while being black, presumably.

Someday soon, they'll just assume every song sung by a black person is about killing cops.

Dr Christmas has a new favorite as of 08:16 on Feb 19, 2016

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Dr Christmas posted:

Someday soon, they'll just assume every song sung by a black person is about killing cops.

You do realize every white person already thinks that about rap music, ever since the 80's? Ice-T's Cop Killer is a go-to for scared white folk.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
My name is Alexander Cain. I am a theology professor working at one of the largest universities in Arkham. I earned a doctor's degree in archeology and ancient history and have dedicated more than 17 years of my life to the study of the most cryptic texts of the deepest myth.

What I discovered will send shivers down the spine of every true Christian and Patriot... because inside the final chapters of a dark and unholy tome, the prophets give a very precise account of what is happening in America at this very moment... And they foretell a very dark and sinister fate for our world...

According to 4 major prophets something truly terrifying is coming our way, and it will hit homeland before the 1st of January 2017...

Cumslut1895 has a new favorite as of 09:22 on Feb 19, 2016

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Fashionable Jorts posted:

You do realize every white person already thinks that about rap music, ever since the 80's? Ice-T's Cop Killer is a go-to for scared white folk.
Funny thing is Body Count is a rock band and "Cop Killer" is a rock song. Ice-T doesn't even rap on it.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

StrangersInTheNight posted:

They don't. The skill level for getting a job in an animation studio is disgustingly low. I've seen people teach themselves lovely flash animation in less than half a year, not actually learn proper techniques, then get a job at a well known studio because they got drunk with the production staff. I've seen it happen several times. You have better chances getting hired if you draw Zelda fanart than if you can actually draw or animate. Why do you think anything that actually takes skill like Legend of Korra gets outsourced to Korea?

There's also the thing where the teachers will ignore people like the actual talented people or try to crush their individuality only for the students to leave and become big names in the industry. Then suddenly the teachers and school scramble to talk about how they were their favourite student, omitting the fact they purposely tried to fail them out of spite because they didn't want to put poop jokes in their super serious film.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Masonic Youth posted:

Funny thing is Body Count is a rock band and "Cop Killer" is a rock song. Ice-T doesn't even rap on it.

Even more, it's a heavy-handed protest song against police brutality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Eponine posted:

Here, have a creepy picture I took of my neighbor's house!

I think you're reaching here. Sounds like they were helping their neighbors maybe, and that seems like the best time to capture lighting.