Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
Put Steve Orlando on Deathstroke and I'll read the poo poo out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

give Deathstroke boyfriends and sex scenes with said boyfriends and we can talk.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
I'd read the gently caress out of Deathstroke and Midnighter. Make "Stroke of midnight" puns all over the place.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

DrProsek posted:

Huh, any links for that? I really enjoyed his season and am curious what his thoughts were on it.

Marc Guggenheim posted:

quote:

Is it true Manu Bennett is done with the Arrow? I hope not :(
That’s up to Manu.

Movie Pilot posted:

Bennett thought that, regarding Deathstroke, the writers "had a lot of possibilities with Arrow but... they took it in the wrong direction." With just a few minutes of screentime for this fan favourite in Season 3, that was probably true, and instead of having Deathstroke return to wreak havoc, they simply had him sit on the island in prison, unlike the "unstoppable mercenary" from the comics which Manu has expressed he hopes to see.

While being relatively quiet on the show since then (but not shying away from advertising himself as Deathstroke for cons from season two, which he's still clearly proud of), Bennett maintains an active Facebook account. He doesn't often reply to fan comments, particularly regarding appearances on Arrow, but his most recent one has caused quite the explosion. You can read that comment here. Responding to a fan's suggestion that the show was currently a 'dreadful love story' and that they'd have "Felicity defeat him," he agreed with a laugh. Despite being a fairly harmless comment, that's really stirred up a storm.

Also I just found out I went to the same school as him.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Deathstroke only has a monthly book because of the major positive fan reaction to his appearance in Arrow seasons 1 & 2. He appears in 1 episode of season 3 that aired a year ago and probably won't be back. the image Stephen Amell released today showing someone that appears to be Deathstroke is reportedly not Manu Bennet in the suit.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

What about the Aquaman poo poo Geoff was hyping a couple of months ago?
That interview says he hasn't got an ongoing after the Rebirth 80-page thing. He must've been yanked off/removed himself from JL pretty quickly.

You got movies to make Johns!

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

The interview I saw said he was focused on the Rebirth one shot "and then what comes next spinning out of it" which I took to mean the JL/Aquaman thing, but I guess it could have meant anything.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Like I am unspeakably into the possibilities behind the title "BATGIRL & THE BIRDS OF PREY" but it will all be for naught if they put somebody like Meredith loving Finch on there. With art by Tony Daniel. :ducksiren:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
One or two of the choices for the double-shipping books (as in which books to give that status) are a little weird. I mean, the core Superman, Batman and GL titles, sure, as well as the JL books and the rest of the core League. Doesn't necessarily make sense as not all those books are big sellers, but from a marketing stance, it works because you're throwing oomph behind your 'big names'. And Harley and Suicide Squad make sense because the former IS a big seller, and the latter is a related brand that's going to get a push this year. But Nightwing? Deathstroke? Even accounting for the League thing, Cyborg and Aquaman?

Also, in a small, totally silly thing... I really hope they go back to Nightwing's blue outfit.

Travis343 posted:

Like I am unspeakably into the possibilities behind the title "BATGIRL & THE BIRDS OF PREY" but it will all be for naught if they put somebody like Meredith loving Finch on there. With art by Tony Daniel. :ducksiren:

I'll be shocked if some of the talent currently on Black Canary isn't on that book. I'd guess the core team in terms of characters would be Batgirl, BC, the new Oracle, Spoiler and Bluebird, probably with Fletcher on script and Wu on art.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Feb 19, 2016

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Anywho.. Gotham Academy survives. Yay :)
I wonder if Cloonan will return. Probably not.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Huh, last year at C2E2 we were told there were weekly Superman and GL books coming. I guess twice a month is as good as we deserve.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Huh, last year at C2E2 we were told there were weekly Superman and GL books coming. I guess twice a month is as good as we deserve.

Well, there's technically two books for each, both double-shipping, so there is a Superman and GL book every week, I'd bet.

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone
I'm really hoping Blue Beetle is Jaime Reyes. I'm okay with Ted Kord being Blue Beetle in JL3000, but I'm upset with how DC has treated Jaime in the new 52.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

goldenoreos posted:

I'm really hoping Blue Beetle is Jaime Reyes. I'm okay with Ted Kord being Blue Beetle in JL3000, but I'm upset with how DC has treated Jaime in the new 52.

They should have both. In a not so blatant copy of the Peter/Miles dynamic in the Marvel books. I'd read the hell out of that. Depending on the writer of course.

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

Rhyno posted:

Deathstroke only has a monthly book because of the major positive fan reaction to his appearance in Arrow seasons 1 & 2. He appears in 1 episode of season 3 that aired a year ago and probably won't be back. the image Stephen Amell released today showing someone that appears to be Deathstroke is reportedly not Manu Bennet in the suit.

I don't think thats true. Deathstroke has been popular since the 90s. He had a long running solo title and frequently appeared in Teen Titans and major event books. What people forget is that a large swath of characters from Deathstroke to Suicide Squad were ignored by Didio in the 00s and only got books again when the New 52 happened. I remember it was a big deal when Deathstroke returned for a beefy role in Identity Crisis.

Alucard Nacirema fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Feb 19, 2016

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'll read Deathstoke twice a month if it's like this:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

X-O posted:

They should have both. In a not so blatant copy of the Peter/Miles dynamic in the Marvel books. I'd read the hell out of that. Depending on the writer of course.

I'd rather there be less superhero names with a White version and a PoC version existing at the same time. It's just so cheap and lazy.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Alucard Nacirema posted:

I don't think thats true. Deathstroke has been popular since the 90s. He had a long running solo title and frequently appeared in Teen Titans and major event books. What people forget is that a large swath of characters from Deathstroke to Suicide Squad were ignored by Didio in the 00s and only got books again when the New 52 happened. I remember it was a big deal when Deathstroke returned for a beefy role in Identity Crisis.

Deathstroke was prominently used in various DC books before IC. Also he had a 12 issue series as a N52 launch that was absolute garbage. And again, the new comic rejuvenated him to be just like TV Deathstroke. Had he not popped up in Arrow he'd never have gotten another ongoing.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Gaz-L posted:

Also, in a small, totally silly thing... I really hope they go back to Nightwing's blue outfit.

:yeah:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Teenage Fansub posted:

I'll read Deathstoke twice a month if it's like this:

Incompetent Deathstroke who doesn't research his targets at all?

Yeah okay.

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

Rhyno posted:

Deathstroke was prominently used in various DC books before IC. Also he had a 12 issue series as a N52 launch that was absolute garbage. And again, the new comic rejuvenated him to be just like TV Deathstroke. Had he not popped up in Arrow he'd never have gotten another ongoing.

The first new 52 book lasted for 21 issues and then just relaunched with a new #1 for a sales boost. It didn't necessarily have anything to do with arrow.

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx
*double post*

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah okay.

He thought he was going after Bruce Wayne, notorious mortal. Nobody had heard of Superman yet.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Alucard Nacirema posted:

The first new 52 book lasted for 21 issues and then just relaunched with a new #1 for a sales boost. It didn't necessarily have anything to do with arrow.

Okay my numbers were off, there were still 6 months between series and Tony Daniel even said the new Slade was modeled off Manu.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Alucard Nacirema posted:

They did gave him the scarf...thing Manu"s Slade used in Arrow.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

DrProsek posted:

He thought he was going after Bruce Wayne, notorious mortal. Nobody had heard of Superman yet.

Yes, I know. He didn't bother to, I dunno, look at a picture of Bruce Wayne, notorious mortal before going to kill him? Just seems like the kinda thing the world's greatest assassin might do, but what do I know about killing people?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Endless Mike posted:

Yes, I know. He didn't bother to, I dunno, look at a picture of Bruce Wayne, notorious mortal before going to kill him? Just seems like the kinda thing the world's greatest assassin might do, but what do I know about killing people?

Did you read the book? Bruce is depicted as a notorious recluse and there are very few pictures of him available. Clark shows up and everyone agrees that he's Bruce Wayne and it's a big deal that he's actually shown up.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Endless Mike posted:

Ooooh :downs: yeah, gotcha. Didn't he think it was Bruce because "He's wearing Bruce's shirt" and "he's a dark haired man standing in a room I'd expect to find Bruce"? Yeah he must have killed quite a few random not-Bruces who were standing in his office in a suit, standing on the deck of the ship, or just wandering around Gotham wearing clothes that looked like clothes Bruce owned.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I too hate comedy and demand all comics be one hundred percent realistic and explainable at all times.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

I'm not saying I'm mad that it didn't make perfect sense, I like American Alien :shobon:. I just thought it was kinda funny that it made Deathstroke seem like kinda an incompetent assassin.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah okay.

He did. Superman was acting like Bruce Wayne. It was loving great.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
That was more at the general responses to the sequence(this is like, the second time people have argued about it) not you specifically, sorry Prosek.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Max Landis is a oval office by American Alien is fantastic. It's one of the best Superman books in years.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
Awful lot of grumbling on Twitter about the renumbering, yet I don't remember nearly the same amount for Marvels recent relaunch, which was such a quick turnaround that several books had to number their trade "volume 0". If a creative team is good, I simply can't understand "this book I read has people I like making it and it's a buck cheaper but UGH ANOTHER RENUMBERING, gonna pass on something that would bring me pleasure."

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I had been pretty cynical about what REBIRTH might be, but after today I am pretty hype. They seem to be addressing everything that needs to be addressed. I have always said, what makes DC special, its very essence, is legacy. New 52, while it did some things right, just completely obliterated DC's legacy. It seems now that DC might realize that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Well, it has been broken for five years now, and it sounds like they're gonna fix it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Space_Butler posted:

Awful lot of grumbling on Twitter about the renumbering, yet I don't remember nearly the same amount for Marvels recent relaunch, which was such a quick turnaround that several books had to number their trade "volume 0". If a creative team is good, I simply can't understand "this book I read has people I like making it and it's a buck cheaper but UGH ANOTHER RENUMBERING, gonna pass on something that would bring me pleasure."

Oh, I never get sick of bitching about how dumb Silk Vol. 0 is as a concept.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I'm sure this will be the reboot that finally turns the company around. The last few, those were just test runs. This one though, it will be different. Because uh...

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Vince MechMahon posted:

I'm sure this will be the reboot that finally turns the company around. The last few, those were just test runs. This one though, it will be different. Because uh...

I don't know if you noticed, but they'll be publishing a Batman comic called Batman! And a Green Arrow comic called Green Arrow! And a Flash comic called The Flash! This is like, a DC you've never seen before! Big, bold ideas!

redbackground fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Feb 19, 2016

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

redbackground posted:

I don't know if you noticed, but they'll be publishing a Batman comic called Batman! And a Green Lantern comic called Green Lantern! And a Flash comic called The Flash! This is like, a DC you've never seen before! Big, bold ideas!

Which and how many books is this hot young new talent Geoff Johns writing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Vince MechMahon posted:

Pick your poison:

A) It's not a reboot, just a relaunch and renumbering
B) Yes, because DC are the only company that is relaunching their books, no other company is doing it, they're special in that way

• Locked thread