Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

snorch posted:

Leave the cows out of this :(

Those cows are a feral menace that have probably done untold ecological damage because their owner couldn't be bothered to take any responsibility for their care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Geostomp posted:

Those cows are a feral menace that have probably done untold ecological damage because their owner couldn't be bothered to take any responsibility for their care.

Well, don't just kill them! :mad:

At least make sure we can use them for meat afterwards.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

Now? There has been a body count tied to him ever since people from his ranch went and murdered cops.

That's not actually tied to him, though, just like it wouldn't be tied to the Occupy movement if a couple of people who were previously at Occupy shot up a Bank of America. That's why the FBI watched Occupy so closely - because mass movements like that, even if peaceful, tend to attract violent radicals.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I hope the next militia camp is with the cows to "defend" them against the Government and that they catch every disease possible while getting attacked by an army of feral cows.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Mr Interweb posted:

Sadly I'm not really sure the meat would really match FDA standards anymore, and if it did it would be some pretty cheap meat. These cows have been left to wander the Nevada desert to forage for their own. No veterinarian attention, having to fend for themselves against predators (and cars). Their already stringy meat is probably full of parasites, diseases and scar tissue.

Earlier someone dug up what Bundy's rancher neighbors thought of him, and it said that at least one guy was pissed that because of Bundy his cattle were suspected (or confirmed) carriers of diseases due to proximity.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
Gotta say that in the inevitable three ring media circus that's going to come up as the case progresses, it'd be p. amazing for people to start concern trolling about the sanctity of life of cows.

Mr Interweb posted:

I don't know if Bundy raised them well enough for their meat to be particularly worthwhile but at the very least you can bet that not one of those cows as ever been fed hormones, antibiotics, or anything that didn't grow off federal land.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Turns out the Bundys were all around lovely people and even their loving neighbors are better off with them in jail.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Main Paineframe posted:

That's not actually tied to him, though, just like it wouldn't be tied to the Occupy movement if a couple of people who were previously at Occupy shot up a Bank of America. That's why the FBI watched Occupy so closely - because mass movements like that, even if peaceful, tend to attract violent radicals.

There is likely not a sufficient nexus to charge Bundy for it, but in real people terms, yes, the guy who said get your gun and fight the government is tied to the people who answered his call and shot police. In the moral accounting of the Bundy ranch standoff, that incident absolutely counts against Bundy.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Feinne posted:

These are federal charges remember so parole isn't even on the table. It's been more than thirty years since federal parole was abolished (though you still hear about federal prisoners getting out on parole because they were either imprisoned before 1987 or meet one of the small list of exceptions where parole is still possible).
See: Pollard, Jonathan.

Alkydere posted:

Sadly I'm not really sure the meat would really match FDA standards anymore, and if it did it would be some pretty cheap meat. These cows have been left to wander the Nevada desert to forage for their own. No veterinarian attention, having to fend for themselves against predators (and cars). Their already stringy meat is probably full of parasites, diseases and scar tissue.

Earlier someone dug up what Bundy's rancher neighbors thought of him, and it said that at least one guy was pissed that because of Bundy his cattle were suspected (or confirmed) carriers of diseases due to proximity.
This really is the the most amazing kicker, Bundy's not even a loving good rancher.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Yeah I was gonna say the Feds should just set his cattle free but that's already how Bundy managed them, so...

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

fade5 posted:

See: Pollard, Jonathan.

Yeah that's how I even learned federal parole wasn't a thing anymore, was the feds about him falling under the timeframe where he still qualified for it.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

If any decision is made re: those cows, they're probably going to get culled. They're useless if you can't guarantee their health

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Alkydere posted:

Sadly I'm not really sure the meat would really match FDA standards anymore, and if it did it would be some pretty cheap meat.

USDA :eng101:

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Geostomp posted:

Those cows are a feral menace that have probably done untold ecological damage

They're cows man, not nuclear waste. Cow poo poo is biodegradable.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Cows eating everything to the roots and trampling the range to dust, however, is an issue.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

They're cows man, not nuclear waste. Cow poo poo is biodegradable.

Cows and other life stock (especially sheep, gently caress sheep) can utterly ruin an environment just by being in it. Most environments that are not plains are just not equipped to deal with that amount of (or any) large herd grazers and they can strip a large area clear of vegetation and gently caress up the soil as they go. There is a reason why most island reclamation campaigns start with shooting or culling in someway feral livestock.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

I know, I was just making a joke. I'm in a good mood tonight.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Telsa Cola posted:

Cows and other life stock (especially sheep, gently caress sheep) can utterly ruin an environment just by being in it. Most environments that are not plains are just not equipped to deal with that amount of (or any) large herd grazers and they can strip a large area clear of vegetation and gently caress up the soil as they go. There is a reason why most island reclamation campaigns start with shooting or culling in someway feral livestock.

This. Introducing any non-native species can do massive damage to an area. Especially here where a large herd of very large grazing animals released on their own for years on end. All but abandoning his herd so he could play cowboy without all that hard work is likely the Bundy crime that will take longest to undo.

Really, Bundy and sons seem to ruin everything they touch.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Returning to the spirit theory for a moment: What if they're protecting the name of the officer who took him down because they don't even know it :tinfoil:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

With any luck his assets will be seized and used to fund the operation to collect his plague cows.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Mr Interweb posted:

As already said, they're probably inedible due to parasites, disease, and just generally lovely quality. What they'll probably do is round them up, test the herd, and then if they're found to be diseased (chance 99,9%), put them down humanely there and then. With poo poo like brucellosis you don't gently caress around and wouldn't want to even risk transporting them.

It's sad and awful and not the cows' fault. It's Bundy's and the USDA should absolutely release a report on how lovely of a condition they were in so people don't flip out that the cows were killed. Some will anyway and a portion of those for the wrong reason (ebil gubmint hates Bundy and wantonly slaughtered all those fine animals and wasted them) but kinda like the Finicum video it will show reasonable people what a total fucker he was and that there weren't any other options.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I know, I was just making a joke. I'm in a good mood tonight.

No good moods allowed

I condemn you to read Russian Sci-Fi until your soul is as black as the void which will consume us all

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Some interesting tweets from John Sepulvado today:

https://twitter.com/JohnLGC/status/700504135909552128

https://twitter.com/JohnLGC/status/700504443398172672

So stay tuned to OPB on Monday I guess? COWS is the Coalition of Western States, which he describes as an organization started around the same time as the 2014 standoff on the Bundy ranch. He also says they won't be releasing the audio in order to protect the source, but it wasn't clear to me if that means they're not releasing it right now, or ever.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

stubblyhead posted:

Some interesting tweets from John Sepulvado today:

https://twitter.com/JohnLGC/status/700504135909552128

https://twitter.com/JohnLGC/status/700504443398172672

So stay tuned to OPB on Monday I guess? COWS is the Coalition of Western States, which he describes as an organization started around the same time as the 2014 standoff on the Bundy ranch. He also says they won't be releasing the audio in order to protect the source, but it wasn't clear to me if that means they're not releasing it right now, or ever.

It was all about COWS the whole time! We were right!

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

chitoryu12 posted:

It was all about COWS the whole time! We were right!

I knew they couldn't be trusted. They stand there with that dumb look on their faces, but really they're just very patient. Waiting. Planning.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

stubblyhead posted:

I knew they couldn't be trusted. They stand there with that dumb look on their faces, but really they're just very patient. Waiting. Planning.

Nope, they dumb as gently caress.

E: that's why they taste do good.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Nope, they dumb as gently caress.

The Ryback of animals

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

E: that's why they taste do good.

True, I must concede I had just finished a delicious steak when I posted this.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

stubblyhead posted:

Chewing. The endless chewing.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Can we sacrifice the cows to our Masonic lesbian goddesses?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
aha, awesome! This is exactly the kind of smoking gun material that can lead to prosecution higher up the funding chain!

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

CrazyLittle posted:

Chewing. The endless chewing.

It's not called ruminating for nothing!

Also, here's an interesting article from our favorite cowboy journalist Les Zaitz: Grant County sheriff viewed as 'security leak' as state seeks investigation

quote:

The dispatcher at the John Day 911 center hesitated when Grant County Sheriff Glenn Palmer radioed in for information about a roadblock after state police shot and killed Robert "LaVoy" Finicum

[...]

"I felt uncomfortable knowing that I had to relay vital and confidential information to someone who may not be trustworthy," the dispatcher later told her supervisor

e:

Nessus posted:

Can we sacrifice the cows to our Masonic lesbian goddesses?

The Grand Architect of the Universe transcends the concept of gender. :mad:

Splish
Sep 17, 2008

Alkydere posted:

Does anyone have a source for this?

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Splish posted:

Does anyone have a source for this?

That was me. I searched for posts about Bundy on cattle ranching forums and found this post. To quote it in its entirety (note: I think he's wrong about Bundy accepting money for his land in the past), emphasis mine:

quote:

I not trying to start a fight on here but as someone that runs fairly close to this Bundy is getting just what he deserves in my opinion what the press has failed to mention is that Bundy was paid about twenty years ago for his permits from the blm so they could turn it into a turtle preserve he took the money then gave the blm the bird and left the cows. He has never taken care of them they run all over the neighbor's permits and a true nuisance to the area. I am not siding with the blm on this but I feel that it is people like Bundy that are making it harder and harder for us ranchers that obey the laws to run on public grounds. Because of Bundy and the neglect that he show for those cows my buddy that runs right next to him is now required by the state of Utah to bleed all his cows to haul then twenty across the state line because tric and brucellosis have been found in some of the cows that were gather earlier this year. I don't think that it is fair to him to now have that expense because of a p*** poor neighbor. Like said earlier not trying to start a fight but don't believe everything you read either.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

saintonan posted:

Did you guys notice the civil forfeiture part of the Bundy indictment? They're literally going to take his guns. I'm sure this will be received well.

Yes, being a felon means your gun ownership is revoked

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...

SocketWrench posted:

Yes, being a felon means your gun ownership is revoked

Anyone speak Greek? How do you say "They Came And Took Them"?

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Pixelboy posted:

Anyone speak Greek? How do you say "They Came And Took Them"?

A flag with an AR-15 with tacticool poo poo all over it, including a dildo bayonet. A dildyonet. Beneath that lies the immortal words: MORON LABEL

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Main Paineframe posted:

The FBI also cracked down on Occupy pretty hard at a national level, even when they weren't breaking laws.

Perfectly Safe
May 30, 2003

no danger here.

Alkydere posted:

This may go some way to explaining the BLM returning cattle to Bundy during the 2014 standoff. I'm not saying that it wasn't primarily because the BLM simply backed off, but it must've been an easy decision to release animals that were effectively valueless anyway.

What's frightening is that Bundy has presumably been selling diseased meat for years. If these reports of the state of his cattle are accurate then I hope it receives some attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Perfectly Safe posted:

This may go some way to explaining the BLM returning cattle to Bundy during the 2014 standoff. I'm not saying that it wasn't primarily because the BLM simply backed off, but it must've been an easy decision to release animals that were effectively valueless anyway.

What's frightening is that Bundy has presumably been selling diseased meat for years. If these reports of the state of his cattle are accurate then I hope it receives some attention.

I do hope this comes up as another charge. The more I learn about Cliven Bundy, the more repulsive he seems. Like you'd have to go out of your way to be such an irresponsible dick.

• Locked thread