Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I bet Kurt put the kibosh on that considering how silly he made Indy look when you think about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

FuzzySkinner posted:

UGH! Come on IndyCar owners. Dude would be a legit threat to actually WIN the double, or at the very least? The 600? That's gotta be worth something to sponsors!
:cmon: Kahne looks out to lunch in a Cup car nowadays, he'd be a backmarker in the DW12.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Boomer The Cannon posted:

:cmon: Kahne looks out to lunch in a Cup car nowadays, he'd be a backmarker in the DW12.

I trust your word on it more so than mine. :).

I also doubt IMS, VICS (who are pretty much the same company. same building, etc), drivers and most of the owners cared one way or the other about Kurt Busch's performance at Indy.

I've seen Doug Boles attempt to extend olive branches every couple of months on twitter to Dale Jr. to drive in a DW-12 for a special "test" at the Brickyard. I've seen Marco Andretti pal around with Kurt Busch and Kyle Larson. I've heard (according to Miller and others) Dario pushing for Chip to give Kyle a ride at Indy. Roger Penske has also offered a seat to Stewart, and has invited Kes. to take in the "500".

I don't think they'd be scared. I think if anything, they'd welcome the challenge and feel it would add to the importance of the "Indy 500" as a whole.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

You have to put in the Kurt Busch level of dedication to have any shot at doing well in either race, flying back and forth constantly and poo poo, then beating up your terrible girlfriend. And remember he wiped out really fuckin hard once in practice.

I'm sure a few drivers put out 'feelers', but its a huge, dangerous commitment for a one timer to really take on. Plus Kasey has a Chevy personal services contract, and would surely want a winning car... so thats Penske and Ganassi only, who would need a big deal sponsor to make them even consider it.

They would get a lot more takers if one of the races was on Monday, and a lot more still if the cockpits were closed. And a lot more still if ICS got better ratings and could pull bigger sponsors. But none of that is true right now.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

i do wonder how much indycar could conceivably make from taking streaming rights back from NBC and charging for their own service

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Cygni posted:

They would get a lot more takers if one of the races was on Monday, and a lot more still if the cockpits were closed. And a lot more still if ICS got better ratings and could pull bigger sponsors. But none of that is true right now.

I'd be curious if moving the race back to Monday would work in terms of ratings and encouraging more drivers to give it a go.

And it is a commitment. Like cygni said. Same with the reverse.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

be nice wicka posted:

i do wonder how much indycar could conceivably make from taking streaming rights back from NBC and charging for their own service
If that happened, they'd actually get my money.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Bentai posted:

If that happened, they'd actually get my money.

Mine too, I'd like a way to watch races from the UK.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Were it not for the ridiculous amount Verizon wants to charge for a prepaid SIM, I'd consider switching during the season as a workaround :v:

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Boomer The Cannon posted:

To be fair to Kasey, the 4th Hendick car has always been a junker.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

chilton struggling to get used to indycar in the most adorable way possible

quote:

"It's quite eerie how welcoming everyone is," Chilton said.

"I understand why the teams are welcoming, but the drivers, I'm not used to that.

"The drivers get along; there might be a couple you have as sort of mates.

"Everyone in IndyCar, even with Indy Lights, the whole sort of Road to Indy process is so welcoming.

"All the drivers seem to be best mates and they don't seem to have other friends.

"Their best friends are I guess their rivals on the track.

"That's sort of taken me a while to get my head around."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/122847

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
to be honest Indycar is kinda weird in how the drivers interact with each other

I can't even say it's a WWI-style aerodrome mentality where you already consider yourself dead and the camaraderie of your fate keeps you together, because sprint car guys usually hate each other

I don't blame him for thinking it's weird tbh

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
in indycar everyone understands their biggest enemy is Brian Barnhart

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

to be honest Indycar is kinda weird in how the drivers interact with each other

I can't even say it's a WWI-style aerodrome mentality where you already consider yourself dead and the camaraderie of your fate keeps you together, because sprint car guys usually hate each other

I don't blame him for thinking it's weird tbh

American racing culture is very different than European racing culture. Very welcoming and drivers have said it's far more based on merit than "Who you know".

I know someone who knows Stephan Gregoire and Eric Bachelart. Both apparently have said that if they could do it over again? They'd have come to America to start their careers in development series. Both still live and work in Indy to this day.

Stefano Coletti remarked how much he loved the fact that the paddock is so open for fans and drivers to mingle. I've heard a ton of similiar comments from drivers.

This isn't a thing that's just exclusive to Indy, I've heard similiar things about Cup, Sports Cars and such. (NHRA trumps them all from what I've seen) Can't say the same for sprint car as I imagine you're more in touch with that culture.

We have quite a cool thing to be proud of over here folks. :911:.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Feb 18, 2016

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Speaking of driver interactions...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WhMUjHnIXg

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
having an open pits and having drivers all be friends are two different things

a guy like Smoke might have a few friends that are drivers but not on the scale like the Indy guys seem to have

sprint pits tend to be a bit standoffish as the teams race too many times a year to be putting up with your bullshit. if you catch the top 5 or 10 after the race is over you might have some fun with them

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is

be nice wicka posted:

chilton struggling to get used to indycar in the most adorable way possible

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/122847

I like to imagine he walked away with a "kick me" sign on his back

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan
Semi-crosspost from the Worst Thread, but this popped up on my Twitter feed...

https://twitter.com/GanassiChip/status/700397464742924288
https://twitter.com/motorsport/status/700274591042826240

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
that's badass

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Only part of that design I don't like is the center pillar.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
Herta merges with Andretti, effectively making Andretti a 4-car team again. Herta will be the race strategist/driver coach for the 98 car, but the driver is still TBA.

http://www.indycar.com/News/2016/02/02-18-AA-BHA-Merge-Under-Andretti-umbrella

Sounds like BHA will just be a satellite of Andretti, kind of like how Ganassi had four cars split among two distinct teams a while back. But this also makes it seems as if we're looking at one less car on the grid this year.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

WindyMan posted:

Sounds like BHA will just be a satellite of Andretti, kind of like how Ganassi had four cars split among two distinct teams a while back. But this also makes it seems as if we're looking at one less car on the grid this year.

Not really when you consider that AA had 3 full-time cars and BHA had 1 last year so the number of full-time entries will remain the same. However the chances for part-time rides like Simona and JW are much less likely now

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

KingShibby posted:

However the chances for part-time rides like Simona and JW are much less likely now

That's what I meant. 3 full time + 1 part time at AA with 1 full time at BHA now becomes 4 full time at AA/BHA. So a half a car less this year, then.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I thought they would retain Chaves but oh well.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

KingShibby posted:

Not really when you consider that AA had 3 full-time cars and BHA had 1 last year so the number of full-time entries will remain the same. However the chances for part-time rides like Simona and JW are much less likely now

Certainly for JW.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

That would be one hell of a comeback.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

kidcoelacanth posted:

That would be one hell of a comeback.

Guaranteed to win the Champ Car World Championship

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Bentai posted:

Only part of that design I don't like is the center pillar.

it's more necessary when you see the original, non-windscreen design, though i'm not sure there's any plastic they could use that would replicate the support of a carbon fiber column.

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

Tickets for the 500 came in today! Sitting about halfway up section J

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

So apparently the candidates for the 98 are:

California JR Hilderbrand
Alexander Rossi

and....(oh dear god no, he's going to get someone killed)

...Pastor Maldonaldo....

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

It's a race to the bank.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I just heard Rossi. Maldonado isn't that bad, and would be my preferred choice. But with BHA recently it looks like Rossi will get it.

Human Grand Prix fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Feb 19, 2016

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Problem with that hoop bar thing is I dont know if it would have helped in Jwills case. Also I dont know why they went with a center bar instead of side pillar design, unless they are that worried about the mirror positions and dont want to move them or something? I dunno.

I obvi didn't read the article cause the only way i can even remotely enjoy F1 is by pretending its awful loving media and fans dont exist.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'm a cool F1 fan, I assure you.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Hell same.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Cygni posted:

I obvi didn't read the article cause the only way i can even remotely enjoy F1 is by pretending its awful loving media and fans dont exist.

This.

Human Grand Prix posted:

I just heard Rossi. Maldonado isn't that bad, and would be my preferred choice. But with BHA recently it looks like Rossi will get it.

I'd feel a bit more better if drivers like Maldonado just went off and started their own teams in the series. It'd be cool if the ride buyers were entrepreneurs in that way. Thus leaving good seats available for good drivers and such.

(King Hiro I kind of put in that category. One of the worst drivers to ever strap on a helmet. Yet he's responsible for Panasonic's involvment in auto racing and he's also Sato-San's manager).

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Maldonado is good.

TNO
Jul 9, 2006

I drank all your Kool-Aid.
I'd rather see the seat filled by talent from the MRTI ladder than an F1 washout.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

(King Hiro I kind of put in that category. One of the worst drivers to ever strap on a helmet. Yet he's responsible for Panasonic's involvment in auto racing and he's also Sato-San's manager).

Don't forget, he owns Swift Engineering as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

harperdc posted:

Don't forget, he owns Swift Engineering as well.

I'm a bit stunned Honda just hasn't farmed out the aerokits to him to be perfectly honest.

• Locked thread