Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I can't believe Republicans opened themselves up like this.

Now they're going to be caught between looking like loving idiots for stonewalling a judge they approved 97-0 or looking like loving idiots for walking back their promise to stonewall before even seeing the nominee.

Is this just a hail mary on the hope that a terrorist attack or economic crash puts a Republican in the white house? Or have they convinced themselves of alternate reality polls like they did in 2012?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Discendo Vox posted:

Steak VAT is a much better political story because it's a revenue-generator that the overarching electorate would be sympathetic to, even more than pot. Congress voting it down, especially as part of the Obama mayoral fiscal reform platform, would do tremendous damage to incumbents. Ya gotta learn to play the angles. (see also rezoning K street as high-density residential and Georgetown as mixed industrial).

what is steak vat

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

VitalSigns posted:

Now they're going to be caught between looking like loving idiots for stonewalling a judge they approved 97-0 or looking like loving idiots for walking back their promise to stonewall before even seeing the nominee.

Is this just a hail mary on the hope that a terrorist attack or economic crash puts a Republican in the white house? Or have they convinced themselves of alternate reality polls like they did in 2012?

I mean, between losing the Court for a generation, and taking even a 33% chance of taking the White House, it's easy to see why they think it's worth the risk. The economy could crater, there could be a real Clinton scandal, Sanders could get the nomination and be as unelectable as people have said he is, whatever. It's far too early for them to be out of it, though anyone sane will tell you the Democrats are favored it's not a lock.

I mean, the Republicans have been working my entire life (and probably yours) to control the Court. They've won a lot, but not everything they wanted and they're staring down the barrel of seeing Obama wipe it all away. It is a Big loving Deal if Obama gets this nomination and it's probably worth hurting their chances a little bit to get the chance of denying the Democrats this seat.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It's not even a generation. If a republican wins the White House it is likely control will flip back soon. If a democrat wins, they are losing anyway.

I wonder if they really want to spend a lot of capital on this.

IMHO of course.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Grundulum posted:

MIGF alt account spotted?

That post had enough insider :smug:, but MIGF would be furious for potential harms such zoning would do to J street. Also, not enough Emmanuel references.

Feral Integral posted:

what is steak vat

Just what it says on the tin: A VAT on steak. Effectively a tax on lobbying dinners.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

VitalSigns posted:

Well there is a lot on the line for them, and looking dumb to people outside their stupid little bubble is probably more tolerable than being crucified by the bubble-dwellers for co-operating with Obama in any way.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

evilweasel posted:

I mean, between losing the Court for a generation, and taking even a 33% chance of taking the White House, it's easy to see why they think it's worth the risk. The economy could crater, there could be a real Clinton scandal, Sanders could get the nomination and be as unelectable as people have said he is, whatever. It's far too early for them to be out of it, though anyone sane will tell you the Democrats are favored it's not a lock.

I mean, the Republicans have been working my entire life (and probably yours) to control the Court. They've won a lot, but not everything they wanted and they're staring down the barrel of seeing Obama wipe it all away. It is a Big loving Deal if Obama gets this nomination and it's probably worth hurting their chances a little bit to get the chance of denying the Democrats this seat.

But the next President will probably get to appoint one or two justices anyway, it doesn't seem worth it to push that to two or three justices while lowering the chances that it will be them, especially given their tough Senate map. I don't know, if I were McConnell I'd go to Obama right now and promise him a quick confirmation if he picks a moderate but a huge fight if he tries to stack the court with a liberal.

On the other hand, working with Obama might get you primaried by someone even crazier than you so maybe McConnell is just doing this until after the Senate primaries are done to keep a slate of unelectable assholes from Akin-ing the party in the congressional elections.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

VitalSigns posted:

But the next President will probably get to appoint one or two justices anyway, it doesn't seem worth it to push that to two or three justices while lowering the chances that it will be them, especially given their tough Senate map. I don't know, if I were McConnell I'd go to Obama right now and promise him a quick confirmation if he picks a moderate but a huge fight if he tries to stack the court with a liberal.

On the other hand, working with Obama might get you primaried by someone even crazier than you so maybe McConnell is just doing this until after the Senate primaries are done to keep a slate of unelectable assholes from Akin-ing the party in the congressional elections.

The problem with that idea is that the conservatives are so far to the right that "moderate" in this context is liberal. Moderate or liberal - either way, countless Republican victories are going to be overturned. It'll be a long time before you can even get to liberal, most of the effort for years is going to be clearing out the garbage.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Should it really take 23 pages of posts to confirm a judge?

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I have a question: Congress sets the number of justices on the Supreme Court, correct? What's stopping them from changing it from 9 to 8? A month or two of bewildered negative press before it becomes the new normal?

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

I wonder how the GOP's narrative will change if the Democrats win the election. Does that mean the people have decided and the new President should be free to choose a qualified liberal candidate to replace Scalia? What about when Ginsburg (82 years old) or Kennedy (79) or Breyer (77) retire or die and need to be replaced and the SCOTUS is now stacked with younger left-leaning justices?

I'm guessing that the 'fixed term lengths for justices' idea will become a much more popular idea and possibly a serious election issue in 2020.

How does that work anyway, what are the legal requirements for such a huge change to the Supreme Court?

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Wulfolme posted:

I have a question: Congress sets the number of justices on the Supreme Court, correct? What's stopping them from changing it from 9 to 8? A month or two of bewildered negative press before it becomes the new normal?

Congress sets the size of the court through legislation, and they don't do much legislation these days.

Seriously, even if it passed, no doubt it'd get vetoed hard.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Platonicsolid posted:

Congress sets the size of the court through legislation, and they don't do much legislation these days.

Seriously, even if it passed, no doubt it'd get vetoed hard.

Is it an actual bill-vote-veto-or-don't process, though? I thought there were some acts of congress that didn't need executive approval, and that was among them.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

bowser posted:

I'm guessing that the 'fixed term lengths for justices' idea will become a much more popular idea and possibly a serious election issue in 2020.

I don't think this could become an issue. Article III of the US Constitution says "The Judges, both of the supreme and inferior Courts, shall hold their Offices during good Behavior" and so far this has been interpreted as meaning they serve for the rest of their lives since the Constitution says nothing at all about time limits. And I doubt the Supreme Court would restrict its own power by ruling that restrictions on their tenure were constitutional, since any legislation that somehow made it through Congress and past the president on that count would end up right back in the Supreme Court anyway. So the only way it becomes an issue is if someone actually wants to amend the Constitution.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

bowser posted:

How does that work anyway, what are the legal requirements for such a huge change to the Supreme Court?

It would require a Constitutional amendment. It won't happen. Fixed term lengths are a bad idea.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Darth123123 posted:

Look, the goon population has to have time to speak on this issue. Maybe if we wait 10, 11 pages and then start a thread with a new OP, we can revisit the issue then.

Low Energy
Feb 19, 2016

by Shine

Discendo Vox posted:

It would require a Constitutional amendment. It won't happen. Fixed term lengths are a bad idea.

That's why every other country (and state) has them, I guess.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Wulfolme posted:

An even number of jurists is a really terrible idea at any level. A bunch of 4-4 splits ends up with hugely dysfunctional governm...

gently caress, they're going to do it, aren't they? :ohdear:

Everyone would dogpile on Congress if it decided it wanted to change the bench from 9 to 8 people. It's a terrible idea. Not as bad as popular elections for the SCOTUS, but still pretty bad.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I always wanted a 3-member court. Maximum individual accountability.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Evil Fluffy posted:

An even number of jurists is a really terrible idea at any level. A bunch of 4-4 splits ends up with hugely dysfunctional governm...

Everyone would dogpile on Congress if it decided it wanted to change the bench from 9 to 8 people. It's a terrible idea. Not as bad as popular elections for the SCOTUS, but still pretty bad.

It'll be a great Nina Totenberg piece about the unsolicited 8-0 SC ruling that Congress is loving dumb though.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

I think the members of the Supreme Court would rather have more judges than less. Somebody said earlier in the thread that their individual workload is massive.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Evil Fluffy posted:

Please define 'everyone.'

Does this insantiation of 'everyone' include the people that vote in Republican primaries? It would Stop Obama, and Obama Bad. The House and Senate Republicans really don't have to kowtow to anyone else.

I don't believe that they have the energy or desire to fight that war, but I still see it as something they could do if more of them were truly as moontouched as Ted Cruz et al.

Capt. Sticl
Jul 24, 2002

In Zion I was meant to be
'Doze the homes
Block the sea
With this great ship at my command
I'll plunder all the Promised Land!

CuwiKhons posted:

I think the members of the Supreme Court would rather have more judges than less. Somebody said earlier in the thread that their individual workload is massive.

Except more justices probably doesn't decrease the workload. They would each still need the same amount of preparation for each case. And you could never have a pool of justicesfrom which a sample are selected (like on appellate level) because every single case would get appealed to en banc anyway)

geegee
Aug 6, 2005

ReidRansom posted:

Eh, I'm not feeling it.

Secretary General of the UN on the other hand

Tongue in cheek I'm sure but there will never be an American SG of the UN.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Evil Fluffy posted:

I'd be so happy if arbitration was ruled illegal. I'd be amazed if it wouldn't be upheld as legal by a majority of the SCOTUS, but it's a loving abomination that exists solely to ensure people can be denied their rights by a pro-corporate system. Undo the god awful class action lawsuit ruling as well and put some goddamn fear back in to corporations that screw around.

The Dems winning this fight heavily depends upon keeping it in the media spotlight and not having a bunch of Truth Is In The Middle bullshit. The GOP should be hammered on this but I'm not holding my breath. The difference between Kennedy and this vacancy is minor at best the GOP should be bludgeoned with it.

remember when the liberal wing ruled for city of new london

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Darth123123 posted:

we're pretty sure we've confirmed he's dead, yep

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Evil Fluffy posted:

Zero. Obama is not going to be nominated to the SCOTUS and there is zero reason to believe he has any desire to be part of the judiciary. He's going to leave office having had a fairly successful 8 years and with no major scandals like his predecessors. He's going to be busy making millions of dollars in speaking fees as one of the most sought after people on the planet.

If the next president is a Dem they'll likely call on Obama at times but otherwise he's basically going to be relaxing with Michelle and going around doing speaking gigs making millions of dollars and building his library.

Now, now! There's still time left!

When Obama greets newly elected President Sanders next February, he will announce that he is transferring to Sanders emergency powers for life, casually mention "By the way, I was a Kenyan Muslim all along, salaam alaikum, fuckers!", and then moonwalk out backwards while flipping everyone the double deuces to the theme of MC Hammer's "Can't Touch This".

Fiend
Dec 2, 2001

evilweasel posted:

We actually confirmed his death by way of a 5-4 decision in honor of his memory.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

evilweasel posted:

Of course Obama's surgeon general would declare Scalia dead!

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Low Energy posted:

That's why every other country (and state) has them, I guess.

Many states elect their Justices.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

https://twitter.com/dick_nixon/status/700695097780756481

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Fiend posted:

We actually confirmed his death by way of a 5-4 decision in honor of his memory.

After review of the play, 4-4, ruling on the field stands

Low Energy
Feb 19, 2016

by Shine

computer parts posted:

Many states elect their Justices.

To limited terms.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Wulfolme posted:

At least one house rep here in Texas is calling for it to be reduced to 7 for a few years, which he apparently thinks can be easily done by congress alone, including automatic removal of an existing justice. We talked about it a bit in USPOL yesterday and the consensus was he's moronic and full of poo poo and it was a bad idea for him to even float.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Fun fact: Although appointed by two different Bushes, Thomas and Alito are almost the same age and will probably retire/die around the same time. There's a real plus in going young if you can manage it.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

After review of the play, 4-4, ruling on the field stands

That call can't be challenged! :mad:

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

What has been seen cannot be unseen.
Who do you all think would be a good SC justice? By that I mean:

1. Someone who could reasonably be confirmed by Senate in an alternate universe where they take the responsibility seriously and don't throw a toddler poo poo fit just because.
2. Someone who is qualified.
3. Someone whom the president might reasonably nominate given the same theoretical conditions as in 1.

I've heard Loretta Lynch's name thrown around which at first sounded great to me (someone not in the legal profession who doesn't closely follow the minutiae of this), although it was later pointed out to me that she has some pretty disagreeable opinions on civil forfeiture and drug prosecution.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Pillow Hat posted:

Who do you all think would be a good SC justice? By that I mean:

1. Someone who could reasonably be confirmed by Senate in an alternate universe where they take the responsibility seriously and don't throw a toddler poo poo fit just because.
2. Someone who is qualified.
3. Someone whom the president might reasonably nominate given the same theoretical conditions as in 1.

I've heard Loretta Lynch's name thrown around which at first sounded great to me (someone not in the legal profession who doesn't closely follow the minutiae of this), although it was later pointed out to me that she has some pretty disagreeable opinions on civil forfeiture and drug prosecution.

She's qualified regardless of those opinions.

Like, I guess what you're asking is "who is the left-most Justice that Democrats would appoint assuming they got their way regardless".

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Alito is the worst tbqh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

What has been seen cannot be unseen.

computer parts posted:

She's qualified regardless of those opinions.

Didn't say she wasn't qualified, just saying civil forfeiture is some bullshit.

• Locked thread