Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i liked how in Cold Steel the social links equivalents were linked to when you saw them and so they basically just added shading to the character development that taking place in the main story

stay tuned for part 2 in my series in why Trails of Cold Steel is better than Persona at being Persona

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Too many non--party member slinks lead to the P3 situation where half of them need to have their faces social link with the main character's fist.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
The Gourmet King should have been a party member instead of an S-link

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

Freak Futanari posted:

basically Ultra AIDS for video game writing

Actually social links are fun and good and fit the atmosphere of the Persona world.

'Ultra AIDS for video game writing' is a term better applied to, oh I dunno, basically all RPGs except some Falcom poo poo and Planescape because they're all significantly worse than Persona in terms of writing and character development. Also gameplay, UI, visual style, and all other respects. Persona is good, which is great because most games are not good.

Actually it's a term better applied to nothing at all, because who uses a phrase like 'Ultra AIDS for video game writing', honestly

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Just make party member S. Links partially gated by plot similar to Adachi.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
It could be possible for the larger narrative of the game be the primary guide for character development, while using the S. Links as an opportunity to explore the characters' lives and backgrounds more deeply in a way that doesn't cause issues with characters having to revert to their base characterizations for plot-necessary scenes. In other words, you get to know them better without that being the trigger for their revelations.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

So, how like party member Slinks work in Persona 3?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I think there's room for improvements in how S.links work, like just because they've been this ten-step process based on your free time in P3 and P4 doesn't mean there's no other way to do it.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
We have no confirmation if Social Links exist in Persona 5, do we? I kind of hope they don't. Social Links seemed pretty well explored by Persona 4. The only way I'd want to bring them back is if they were far more tactical in nature. Say you have a Social Link that has you befriending a "bad kid". This opens up other S-links, but also makes it more difficult to level other ones, and could have debilitating effects on your stats (You got pissed drunk in an alley after school; you are too hungover the next morning to pay attention in class). Or at least something that lets you explore both the positive and negative aspects of being a social butterfly.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Social links are half of the game. There is no way in hell they aren't in 5.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Cake Attack posted:

i liked how in Cold Steel the social links equivalents were linked to when you saw them and so they basically just added shading to the character development that taking place in the main story

stay tuned for part 2 in my series in why Trails of Cold Steel is better than Persona at being Persona

I like the atmosphere in persona games a lot more.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Well googling told me that:

"Cooperation is a game mechanic in Persona 5. According to developers, this mechanic will be similar to the Social Links of Persona 3 and Persona 4 and will involve the protagonist building relationships with helpers around the city for various benefits in battle"

So there you go.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Linnaeus posted:

I like the atmosphere in persona games a lot more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4sYwcojtUk

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I think it's great that Persona has a precedent of radical shifts in style and gameplay, and I hope that the popularity of P3 and P4 don't make the Megaten developers hesitant to continue experimenting with the franchise. The main SMT line is already kind of stuck in its traditions; Persona and other spin-offs were to allow them to kind of do new and interesting things without having to worry about what came before. Now that the spin-off is its own huge series, I'm worried they'll start to let it stagnate as they did with SMT4.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

TurnipFritter posted:

Persona 5 kept getting delayed because they were adding a female protagonist option.

If only. :(

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
Social Links were cool because they were kind of a unique idea at the time and really added to the Buffy-style double lives feel. But they also went on too long and didn't tie in mechanically enough to the gameplay. Plus they were too simplistic and shouldn't have had roleplaying type stuff with your main crew linked to them.

Building relationships with 'helpers' around the city sounds cool though, very heist movie like.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

8-Bit Scholar posted:

We have no confirmation if Social Links exist in Persona 5, do we? I kind of hope they don't. Social Links seemed pretty well explored by Persona 4. The only way I'd want to bring them back is if they were far more tactical in nature. Say you have a Social Link that has you befriending a "bad kid". This opens up other S-links, but also makes it more difficult to level other ones, and could have debilitating effects on your stats (You got pissed drunk in an alley after school; you are too hungover the next morning to pay attention in class). Or at least something that lets you explore both the positive and negative aspects of being a social butterfly.

this sounds like a needlessly complicated and frustrating system

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Social Links are cool and I liked hanging out with my friends, but they could be better and had significant flaws so I hope they are improved on for Persona 5.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
It seems like the tone and character of 5 is going to be different from 3/4, so the S. Links are probably going to be different in some way; the fact that they're called something else and have more of a give-and-take connotation with the heist theme hints at it, at least to me.

The character bios so far have a commonality of these characters having some trauma in the past and a fear of society/socializing, so the much more sunny way bonds are treated thematically in 3/4 would be somewhat dissonant here. Not to say that they will be portrayed in an opposite way, but rather that the feelings can perhaps be more nuanced. Then again, it could just be "friendships!!" as usual anyway.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
it looks like the theme is heisting at first but I feel like it becomes something a little more sinister at some point if the preview trailer where the protag is being beaten by the cops is anything to go by

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

My only problem with how Cold Steel did it is that you pretty much prioritized your own party for bonding events over other characters that aren't playable or are only guest characters, when some of the stuff revealed during the bonding events with the non-party characters could be fairly interesting and important and since there's only a limited number of bonding points and you can't max out everyone realistically in one playthrough without a lot of grinding, that kind of hurt the game a bit.

But yes, in theory Cold Steel did Social Links better because they tied into whatever was happening in the main story at the time and didn't feel disconnected.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Cake Attack posted:

i would rather p5 either not give party members links and have the development in the main story, or find a way to integrate them better
Definitely the latter for me. I could not care less about most of the S. Links in P3 because ultimately they don't matter at all in the grand scheme of the story except for maybe tangentially in a few thematic ways. I think P4 was a huge step in the right direction by not only doing it with party members but also story-important characters like Nanako and Dojima. Rather than scrapping it entirely I'd prefer they just continue to improve. Something like Tales of Xillia 2 where you get extra scenes if you hang out with your party should be more than manageable.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I guess my main desire for S-Links is that they not occur entirely within a bubble. Like I get that they did that so that you can play them in any order, etc. but having even just a few pieces of informed/changing dialogue a la Bethesda games would be cool. Even just throw some extra lines in the mid-dungeon party chatter if you get a link to let's say rank 8 like they did in P4 for costumes. I don't know exactly how it would work but that's my main problem with them, that each one is in this huge silo and nobody seems to notice you're spending all your free time hanging out with a ten year old or an alcoholic Buddhist.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
What made the S-Links good in Persona (other than some pretty good writing for a number of them) was the fact that time is limited and you have to choose what you do. Its that choice that makes the game feel more free than it is. The limited time and the numerous options give you options that most other games don't have. I know some people don't like the calendar system, but to me its what made the Persona games unique and great.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The calendar system is the best part of Persona.

projecthalaxy posted:

I guess my main desire for S-Links is that they not occur entirely within a bubble. Like I get that they did that so that you can play them in any order, etc. but having even just a few pieces of informed/changing dialogue a la Bethesda games would be cool. Even just throw some extra lines in the mid-dungeon party chatter if you get a link to let's say rank 8 like they did in P4 for costumes. I don't know exactly how it would work but that's my main problem with them, that each one is in this huge silo and nobody seems to notice you're spending all your free time hanging out with a ten year old or an alcoholic Buddhist.

Yeah, this. I can't imagine it would be very hard to write 3-4 versions of a handful of lines for each characters in each major plot event, and just have the game pick the line that corresponds to where you're at in the SL.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Agreed, it would be neat if they had a more involved system with your party members, but just integrating your party social links into the main story through stuff like previously mentioned would be real nice.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I think the way to do it would be kind of like how Marie was handled, in that you could only proceed to certain levels after a certain point in the story. So just gate off some of your party members' links and then have hooks in the plot/dialogue for different scenes if you've put in the time with the links. That way you can't like max out Yosuke and have scenes at the end of his link take place and not really make sense thematically in whatever major plot stuff is unfolding at the moment, but could more closely tie in certain events in the links to the main plot.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
I think the reason they don't gate off more of them by story progression is that they don't want people to get overwhelmed by having like 10 social links available to them halfway through the game

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I think it's great that Persona has a precedent of radical shifts in style and gameplay, and I hope that the popularity of P3 and P4 don't make the Megaten developers hesitant to continue experimenting with the franchise. The main SMT line is already kind of stuck in its traditions; Persona and other spin-offs were to allow them to kind of do new and interesting things without having to worry about what came before. Now that the spin-off is its own huge series, I'm worried they'll start to let it stagnate as they did with SMT4.

I didn't feel like IV was stagnated much, if anything it changed a lot since it was designed to get people into the series.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

The biggest change I feel SMTIV had was it's attempt to make it more character driven, which I really like. If only Walt and Johnny didn't have to have brain aneurysms for the route split to happen.

croutonZA
Jan 5, 2011
Scrap social links for an approval rating that goes up if you agree with them. Also, you can give them trinkets to improve it.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

Pash posted:

What made the S-Links good in Persona (other than some pretty good writing for a number of them) was the fact that time is limited and you have to choose what you do. Its that choice that makes the game feel more free than it is. The limited time and the numerous options give you options that most other games don't have. I know some people don't like the calendar system, but to me its what made the Persona games unique and great.

:agreed:

The calendar system and social links are what make Persona unique amongst JRPGs. Like you said that element of choice and time management gives the player a feeling of agency in the story that other JRPGs rarely offer. If they gated poo poo off more or just tied it directly to story progression then they'd just be standard story beats and you'd lose that unique feel.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The calendar system and S. Links are basically just datesim stuff.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Devil Survivor 2's fates improved the SLink system and fixed some of its issues. The tradeoff is that DeSu2 is a much shorter game so it could afford to do that. It'll take quite a bit of effort to do a system like that in a 50-100 hour JRPG.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
My problem with DS2's Fate system is that you can max out a link during a completely inconsequential event thanks to it leveling up elsewhere. Yeah you could keep on hanging out with said character to get more development but that's a not exactly a good way to balance your time unless you literally have nothing else to do nearer the endgame.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Persona 4 help!:

Any tips how to beat Nanako's kidnapper in the heaven dungeon{/spoiler]? The boss always gets me by having one of his magic attacks randomly does like 533HP damage or something. My people are all leveled at in the 40s, except [spoiler]Naoto who is at level 54 or something.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
This time I think you may just be underleveled a bit, I'm usually around the high 60s by that point. Are you ignoring the Golden Hands perhaps? I feel like you'd have to kind of go out of your way to be in the 40s at that point in the game.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
How the gently caress did you beat 8 bit at level 40:riot:

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Nate RFB posted:

This time I think you may just be underleveled a bit, I'm usually around the high 60s by that point. Are you ignoring the Golden Hands perhaps? I feel like you'd have to kind of go out of your way to be in the 40s at that point in the game.

Not really.

What I do once I go to a new dungeon:

I go up the stairs until the first mid-boss fight. I fight most of the shadows that cross my path. When I get to the midboss I generally warp back to save "just in case" and warp back to fight the boss. I try to beat the boss, but don't expect to and try and get a good feel for them. If I beat the boss (like I did in the dungeon I am currently going through) I proceed to the next floor and warp back. If not, I warp back and have my character go home. Based on how the boss fight went I will go to the Central District and purchase what I need. For example if the boss inflicts Silence I will purchase anti-Silence items. I then go back and go into the Velvet Room. I fuse to create a Persona that is most adequate for the fight. If the boss uses primarily fire attacks and strong physical attacks, I will try and fuse a Persona that is resistant to fire and knows Tarunda or Tetrakan or something. I then go back to the dungeon and try to fight the boss. If I win I proceed, if I lose then I just grind until I beat them.

Once I get to a boss I pretty much do the exact same thing. Once I beat the boss I won't have my character go back to any dungeons until the next Midnight Channel event. From then on I work on my social links and my characters attributes. Once the night Midnight Channel event happens I repeat things.

So that is the gist of it. And yeah I ignore Golden Hands but that is because I often can't kill them before they run away. I'm really not sure how I can play this game normally and be reasonably leveled. I feel like I have to fight way too many enemies before approaching the boss as it is. I can't imagine being in the 60s at this point. I mean I beat the previous boss, the one that I had trouble with and asked before, by merely gaining one level and fusing a new Persona.

Luna Was Here posted:

How the gently caress did you beat 8 bit at level 40:riot:

I beat that in the low 30s. I just had Teddie heal everyone while my main character spam Tarunda. If the baby was performing attacks that one of my party members were weak to, I had them on Guard. If the baby character was resistant to one of my party member's magic attacks then I would have that party member throw high damaged items at the baby. I also had a bunch of anti-Silence stuff and had my main character equipped with an anti-Silence band. As long as your party can survive the enemy's giant form he is pretty simple.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Feb 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Well I strongly recommend you figure out how to kill Golden Hands, then. Every single one of them tends to have a "trick" that will let you kill them in some sort of reasonably reliable manner. For my own part I don't think I do anything particularly different from you're doing other than killing those hands. Sometimes on a rainy day I'd go back into the dungeon to do quests or something (and get some of those rain-only items) but that can only account for so much.