Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
lol a doom story

doom should be the dark souls of FPS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
If they could manage to infer enough through throwaway level design and flavor text to cause people spergs to write thesis paper length posts on internet forums, then power to them.

tips
Feb 16, 2011

Blacktoll posted:

Is Fatali1ty or whatever gonna back this game? Why don't we truck out all the dumb poo poo from the 90s like olestra or XTREME corn chips and ecto cooler.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgb2vCGZ_oA

tips
Feb 16, 2011

Blacktoll posted:

Yes nothing more fun than running around multiplw enormous empty rooms with the same texture trying to find the blue key card with no more enemies around.
*throws you a noob pellet and a tall glass of STFU*

tips
Feb 16, 2011

Anyways I hope the strafe jumping rumor is true because that's the only reason I got through all the terrible leech levels and shambler closets at the end of Quake 1.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Blacktoll posted:

But really who gives a single poo poo about doom? I mean, come on. There are a million more interesting games coming out. This tech wizard Carmack or whatever should apply some of that genius into something, oh, I don't know, less stagnant then Doom.

Is Fatali1ty or whatever gonna back this game? Why don't we truck out all the dumb poo poo from the 90s like olestra or XTREME corn chips and ecto cooler.

Carmack isn't working on this one dude, that was the point. He's busy working on VR for Oculus and Facebook. In fact he was going to stick around at Id while he worked with Oculus, but Bethesda wouldn't commit to letting him do VR stuff with Id games, so he left.

I dunno about a million, there actually aren't many interesting games coming out this year. Xcom2 is already out, mirror's edge sequel looks good, other than that... not much.

Doom 4 should be entertaining if its good or if it sucks, like Duke Nukem Forever, just to see where things ended up after all this development hell.

echronorian posted:

More than anything else about the 90s, I miss winding expansive abstract multi level maps. Please do this

This is my biggest hope for the game, that we'll actually have back-tracking and keycodes and stuff, and not just linear corridors with shooting galleries.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Zaphod42 posted:

Doom 4 should be entertaining if its good or if it sucks, like Duke Nukem Forever, just to see where things ended up after all this development hell.

I don't feel comfortable about this kind of thing, have some courtesy. Can't we use Daikatana, I know it has some fans, but drat it Daikatana is the approved example damnit

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Heavy Metal posted:

I don't feel comfortable about this kind of thing, have some courtesy. Can't we use Daikatana, I know it has some fans, but drat it Daikatana is the approved example damnit

Haha, I would consider Daikatana more of an insult. I know people who think Daikatana or Duke Nukem Forever are actually pretty good or even great games though.

E: I did name the thread after Daikatana though :cheeky:

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Feb 19, 2016

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE NAZIS?

Broose posted:

They should have just gave it to MachineGames after Wolf:TNO.

And they'd make a game where you shoot scuttling zombie men with automatic weapons for six hours, with overlong unskippable interactive cutscenes and bad stealth.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
You guys are killing me. "Yeah, backtracking and loving keycards. I'd love for a game to have these excellent features."

imo the division is shaping up pretty sweet.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
You know what one feature from Doom 1/2 I really, really hope comes back? The loving automap. Why don't games have that anymore :(

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Because you can tell where you're going

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Keiya posted:

You know what one feature from Doom 1/2 I really, really hope comes back? The loving automap. Why don't games have that anymore :(

Because actual 3D levels with room over room make mapping hell

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Keiya posted:

fishmech posted:

Yeah, compare doom's auto-map to the maps in Marathon, which supported room-over-room. Its a mess. The best you can do is like a Descent style 3D wireframe map, and that's still a mess.

Marathon maps

Doom's engine just flat out does not allow more than one room for a given X,Y position. The game is effectively a flat plane, but you can move bits of it up or down and add walls.

Quake was full 3D and had no maps.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
As long as it's at least as good as Wolfenstein 2009(or maybe Shadow Warrior 2013) in terms of gameplay, I'll be satisfied, I'm not expecting it to be some game changer or anything, just something that'll be fun to play and mess around with

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Keiya posted:

Automap is confirmed to come back.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

fishmech posted:

Maybe - bear with me here - this means you should avoid putting rooms over other rooms? Just because you can do something doesn't mean you have to.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Keiya posted:

Maybe - bear with me here - this means you should avoid putting rooms over other rooms? Just because you can do something doesn't mean you have to.

Or they could just divide the maps into floors or something

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah just ignore any amount of common sense when it comes to architecture and perfectly recreate the maps from a decades old game that were mostly that way due to engine limitations

perfect

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

Or they could just divide the maps into floors or something

Hell doesn't have floors.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Johnny Joestar posted:

yeah just ignore any amount of common sense when it comes to architecture and perfectly recreate the maps from a decades old game that were mostly that way due to engine limitations

perfect

If they used common sense and realistic architecture, multi-floor maps wouldn't be a problem. I'm guessing you've probably even used them yourself to find something in a multi-storey shopping centre? Having multiple floors doesn't make it impossible to make a useful map, the problem is video game architecture that makes no sense.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Tiggum posted:

If they used common sense and realistic architecture, multi-floor maps wouldn't be a problem. I'm guessing you've probably even used them yourself to find something in a multi-storey shopping centre? Having multiple floors doesn't make it impossible to make a useful map, the problem is video game architecture that makes no sense.

i was responding to this

Keiya posted:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Keiya posted:

It's really quite stupid to avoid making a normal building just because it would make an automap harder to implement. Might as well demand all walls and ceilings/floors make exactly 90 degree angles from each other because it's easier to render.

Tiggum posted:

Multi floor malls don't tend to be all that complex inside, a your typical one the building is just 3 or 4 main hallways per floor, or maybe a loop for one part.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

fishmech posted:

Multi floor malls don't tend to be all that complex inside, a your typical one the building is just 3 or 4 main hallways per floor, or maybe a loop for one part.

Yeah, real buildings are generally designed to be easy to navigate and make efficient use of space. You don't get the long winding corridors, secret passages, inaccessible areas, and dead ends that video game buildings have for no good reason.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Johnny Joestar posted:

perfect

How many buildings have you been in where you have to go up two floors around a curve, a detour to open a locked door, then down the elevator three floors then up some stairs to get to the other side of a wall? I'm willing to bet the answer is nearly zero, humans think in 2d most of the time.

Some highly secure buildings MIGHT be laid out like that, but even that's pretty unlikely.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

echronorian posted:

lol a doom story

doom should be the dark souls of FPS

A good Doom story:

You here

Demons there

Make demon body here and limbs everywhere else but here.

~fin~

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Games like Skyrim are fully 3d and have dungeons with room-over-room and they manage to have maps that, while they aren't perfect, aren't useless either :shrug:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Keiya posted:

How many buildings have you been in where you have to go up two floors around a curve, a detour to open a locked door, then down the elevator three floors then up some stairs to get to the other side of a wall? I'm willing to bet the answer is nearly zero, humans think in 2d most of the time.

Some highly secure buildings MIGHT be laid out like that, but even that's pretty unlikely.

all i was saying was 'putting rooms over other rooms is an okay thing to do and avoiding doing it is really dumb'

thanks

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Johnny Joestar posted:

perfect

Replayed both Dooms lately, those levels still beat almost everything that has come out since.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Anatharon posted:

A good Doom story:

You here

Demons there

Make demon body here and limbs everywhere else but here.

~fin~

Sounds like Serious Sam is the best Doom ever.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Kibayasu posted:

Sounds like Serious Sam is the best Doom ever.

Lmao you're a goddamn dolt

bullet3
Nov 8, 2011
Serious Sam has no level structure and is a loving repetitive series of open spaces with 1000 enemies.

The beauty of Doom that both Serious Sam and Painkiller fail to capture is the tight, exploration-focused level design combined with intense combat.

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

Then jon was a zombie.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur

TheWhiteNightmare posted:

All 3D mapping features in the Doom 3 engine, like rooms over rooms, were achieved using many rows of small, grey floating platforms known as GADS or "Gravitational Anomaly Disks" that were covered up with clever texture work.

oh cool, I didn't know that because I've been expelled from GADS classes at videogame university :(

program666 fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Feb 19, 2016

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur

echronorian posted:

way to admit youre a loving scrub

this

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Someone port Doom into the serious Sam engine for these idiots who think bad level design, automaps and strafing are the height of video game.

Also loving lol at the guy calling serious sam repetitive as opposed to doom.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've been calling this game Retard 4

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
If anything I think the weapon design and enemy design put Doom over serious sam. After a while, the level design of doom starts to annoy me.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Black Baby Goku posted:

I've been calling this game Retard 4

It's not exactly not true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

How about Doom 4 Ever? It's both terrible and compares to Duke Nukem.