Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

I liked the Kardashian stuff at the beginning of this one. It's doing a good job of showing Robert's trust of OJ and his reaction to the crazy fame he has suddenly gained. He seems to be a good father.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

fart blood posted:

I think this show is great. I don't buy Cuba as O.J. physically, but he's putting on a great performance.

You are me.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

fart blood posted:

I think this show is great. I don't buy Cuba as O.J. physically, but he's putting on a great performance.

Yeah, that's the only real problem with this series for me.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

I didn't know you could drop an f bomb on basic cable. Cool.

I liked this episode better than the last two. Sarah Paulson is great. I look forward to seeing more Cochran.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
SA Forums > TVIV > The People Vs. OJ: Absolutely 100 percent not "Keeping Up with the Kardashians"

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

You probably know my reaction to them opening with the Kardashian family, but then having Rob eviscerate them made me :allears: for more. And it wasn't just schadenfreude, it taught me something about the whole show. I started realizing every line of dialogue in this thing has some kind of foreshadowing to it.

Some of it was too subtle for me to pick up on at first, virtually every scene with Marcia had it, where she'd get on a high horse about the job (which she fucks over with her deceitful departure), to interviews invalidating everything you say (which is how she makes her living now).

Show went back to great to me with this episode.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

the kids physically ignoring the lesson Robert Kardashian was trying to impart on them was so over the top i love it

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

Yeah, definitely on the nose as someone said but it was needed. You can just imagine the real family telling everyone to watch American Crime Story because they're in it and having seen the first few episodes where they're getting soft served, then they get to see their dad give them a philosophical abortion.

I like the way they're handling Cochran too. He's said some dumb poo poo about the case before he died and he did seem to be a fame whore but they're not going overboard on it. Like Malcolm X I try not to get too judgmental because those were crazy rear end times/places to be black.

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!
This show is SO god drat good. It's so interesting watching this now, I was too young to remember this happening IRL so it's intriguing. Got me reading all sorts of Wikipedia articles. Good poo poo.

I really disliked Travolta's acting at the start.. I don't know if it was more his acting or the fact that he looks like a walking, talking wax statue. :shrug: Hes been better this past episode or two though.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Botnit posted:

I like the way they're handling Cochran too. He's said some dumb poo poo about the case before he died and he did seem to be a fame whore but they're not going overboard on it. Like Malcolm X I try not to get too judgmental because those were crazy rear end times/places to be black.

Being too young and not-American I know about the case only through the pop cultural osmosis and from countless references to Cochran I imagined him to be a lawyer Don King or something, but here he does not look like a scumbag or a hustler.

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

fatherboxx posted:

Being too young and not-American I know about the case only through the pop cultural osmosis and from countless references to Cochran I imagined him to be a lawyer Don King or something, but here he does not look like a scumbag or a hustler.

He sorta was a lawyer Don King, he would find racism in everything and never met a camera he didn't love. It really polarized people's perceptions of him. He was good friends with Jesse Jackson if you know who that is too. Again though it's hard to judge him too harshly given Los Angeles in the 90's.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
"Uncle Juice" sounds like a euphemism for semen.

Howling Man
Mar 29, 2014

Kevyn posted:

"Uncle Juice" sounds like a euphemism for semen.

Or something at Nerverland Ranch. Still works for yours too.

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

Cochran defended Michael Jackson, so the theme fits.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Neverland Ranch also sounds like a euphemism for semen.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
The New Yorker article:
http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/1994/07/25/an-incendiary-defense

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

Botnit posted:

He sorta was a lawyer Don King, he would find racism in everything and never met a camera he didn't love. It really polarized people's perceptions of him. He was good friends with Jesse Jackson if you know who that is too. Again though it's hard to judge him too harshly given Los Angeles in the 90's.

This. The OJ trial was only 2 years after Rodney King and LA riots.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

This show is really good.

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/17/us/la-police-officers-sexual-assault-charges/index.html

quote:

Los Angeles (CNN)Two Los Angeles police officers who once worked as partners patrolling the streets of Hollywood have been charged with sexually assaulting four women they encountered while on duty, prosecutors announced Wednesday.

Sooo, when I said LAPD in the 90's I guess I really meant LAPD forever.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
Kato's writing whole articles about this. Fair enough I guess?

Regy Rusty posted:

I was too young to know anything about the whole media circus around this case when it was actually happening, so everything I know about it comes from reading about it years later.

I was 11, growing up in Vancouver (Canada) when it started and it was BAD. You literally couldn't get away from the endless blather unless you totally tuned out from any and all media. Even the video game mags at the time had OJ jokes and OJ-game themed envelope art. Hell, an issue of Sports Illustrated for Kids covered it! (It might be the only time a children's news publication discussed actual murder.)

Also, keep in mind this was a few years before the Internet took off in the mainstream, before most things had their own websites. Your average computer owner didn't even have modems installed. The mass broadcast and print media was THE way you got your news and entertainment, and OJ coverage was wall-to-wall, non-stop, right down to the daily newspaper comic strips; even up here, Canadian media considered it top story/front section.

You know what's worse than having your plane delayed in the middle of summer as an angsty 12 year-old? Being stuck in that airport departure lounge where all the TVs were provided and branded by CNN - who (OF COURSE) were always airing live coverage of the loving trial, all day every day, only stopping if something big happened, then back to the courtroom feed. Remember, no internet, cell phones were just for calls and parents, and your only other options for stimulation were a book, magazine, or Game Boy. (Game Gear if you fell for Sega's marketing and picked the "wrong one." ;) )

...wow, nostalgia rant! Back on topic:

One thing I wasn't aware of until recently: the Kardashians were penniless refugees who fled the Armenian genocide, and I think Robert was the first generation American. Hence the importance to him of the real values. The restaurant opening with Robert and the kids was not only great, but I think we're starting to see an overarching theme emerge: that morality tends to disintegrate in the local social/class/celebrity culture of L.A. (Tune in to a showbiz talk show and a common thing that pops up is how life in and outside the fame bubble in NYC is at odds with how it is in L.A.) O.J.'s skeletons aside, look at how everyone else acts, the "witnesses" selling their stories to A Current Affair (UGH!), how Shapiro manipulated things in front of and away from the cameras...and Cochrane's arc has barely started.

(A post-trial joke in a Mad magazine article about Frightening Facts: "The televised OJ trial gives us an idea of how lawyers behave when they KNOW other people are watching!")

Kevyn posted:

I was sitting in the exact same location for the Challenger exploding, Kurt Cobain's death, and the Bronco chase.

Which place was that?

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

On the floor in the living room at my childhood home.

Baby Jessica in the well was another one of those "the whole world is watching" events from that era.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

This article seems written well into the actual criminal trial? In the show they made it appear that it was published beforehand.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Evan Handler is the only cast member to actually meet OJ, having acted with him in the Frogmen pilot (where OJ recieved knife training).

http://www.vulture.com/2016/02/evan-handler-oj-simpson-frogmen-pilot.html

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Pron on VHS posted:

This article seems written well into the actual criminal trial? In the show they made it appear that it was published beforehand.

The trial didn't start until 1995. The article references preliminary hearings, which the shows seems to be skipping over for the most part. Notice at the top of the article it says that the strategy is "under consideration" by the legal team.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Sand Monster posted:

The trial didn't start until 1995. The article references preliminary hearings, which the shows seems to be skipping over for the most part. Notice at the top of the article it says that the strategy is "under consideration" by the legal team.

If I remember correctly the pre-trial hearings were centered around the defense trying to get a ton of evidence thrown out. They tried to say that the LAPD needed a warrant to enter OJs house when they jumped the wall, as well as throw out anything Furman touched.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Opening scene of latest episode is 10/10

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

Pron on VHS posted:

The jury wasn't selected until November 1994 and the trial did not begin until January 1995

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O._J._Simpson_murder_case#Trial

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

LOL at goons wondering if the Kardashians were inserted into the story for ratings or something. When Kim first got famous from the Ray J sex tape, how did you not Google her and find out her dad was involved?

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

I don't think there's been a single person doubting why they are being included so much, only people saying they find it progressively less annoying than other people do?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The only reason you could find it annoying is it you inherently hate the Kardashians. Their scenes are great.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I don't mind the Kardashians at all. It's annoying because it's so ridiculously on the nose and adds nothing to the show. If anything it's there to please people that hate the Kardashians.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Henchman of Santa posted:

I don't mind the Kardashians at all. It's annoying because it's so ridiculously on the nose and adds nothing to the show. If anything it's there to please people that hate the Kardashians.
It's also just super distracting. The writers are practically throwing this in the audience's face and shouting 'SEE? SEEE? THE IRONY!!!'

It just takes you out of the setting, since obviously at the time these were just a bunch of kids and only the dad was famous for being friends with OJ.

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

I think I might be irrationally angry because I can't tell if the show is actually painting Marcia Clark as being incompetent or not, or if they are and it's too subtle for others to tell, but since she's never taken any of the blame for the trial (she's always blamed it on literally everyone involved but herself and retcons the case to being unwinnable), I'm gonna list the dumb poo poo she does in each episode after she does it so you can see how the case slowly died through her lovely decisions (and also some other people's).

In the last one you saw her choosing to exclude witnesses because they sold their stories but I don't remember them actually saying what specifically those witnesses were actually testifying to so I'll go over it. Two witnesses: one knife salesman who had receipts proving he sold a knife that was consistent with what was used in the murders and a woman who saw the bronco hauling rear end and almost side swiping another car.

The knife has a complicated story to it. The cops searched his house 3 times looking for it but never found it, then the defense team told the cops where the knife was in the house, which was in an area that a non-Fuhrman cop was willing to testify he'd already searched. Why would the defense bother? Because the knife finally showed up with it being re-polished with store room oil so that the defense could claim it was never used.

Now the woman witness who saw the Bronco hauling rear end you could argue might be motivated by money to make it up, right? I mean you shouldn't considering they had no real reason to, but like I said with the knife salesman, he had motherfucking RECEIPTS. And OJ even admitted he bought it. But because Marcia Clark was so up her own rear end she decided to completely throw away all that testimony.

If you dudes think this is getting too angsty or annoying I won't continue, just thought since we have some noble goons who didn't eat/live/breathe this dumb trial a little more explanation could help out.

Botnit fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Feb 19, 2016

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Botnit posted:

I think I might be irrationally angry because I can't tell if the show is actually painting Marcia Clark as being incompetent or not, or if they are and it's too subtle for others to tell, but since she's never taken any of the blame for the trial (she's always blamed it on literally everyone involved but herself and retcons the case to being unwinnable), I'm gonna list the dumb poo poo she does in each episode after she does it so you can see how the case slowly died through her lovely decisions (and also some other people's).

In the last one you saw her choosing to exclude witnesses because they sold their stories but I don't remember them actually saying what specifically those witnesses were actually testifying to so I'll go over it. Two witnesses: one knife salesman who had receipts proving he sold a knife that was consistent with what was used in the murders and a woman who saw the bronco hauling rear end and almost side swiping another car.

The knife has a complicated story to it. The cops searched his house 3 times looking for it but never found it, then the defense team told the cops where the knife was in the house, which was in an area that a non-Fuhrman cop was willing to testify he'd already searched. Why would the defense bother? Because the knife finally showed up with it being re-polished with store room oil so that the defense could claim it was never used.

Now the woman witness who saw the Bronco hauling rear end you could argue might be motivated by money to make it up, right? I mean you shouldn't considering they had no real reason to, but like I said with the knife salesman, he had motherfucking RECEIPTS. And OJ even admitted he bought it. But because Marcia Clark was so up her own rear end she decided to completely throw away all that testimony.

If you dudes think this is getting too angsty or annoying I won't continue, just thought since we have some noble goons who didn't eat/live/breathe this dumb trial a little more explanation could help out.

Not at all, I love this background info. Thanks for sharing! Can't think of a better place for it than the TVIV thread for the show.

I remember thinking it was strange that she wanted to exclude witnesses that would help the prosecution. I guess because she figured that the statements being public would allow the (highly seasoned) defense team ample time to prepare for their cross examination...?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

They would be annihilated on cross mostly due to them selling their stories to the media.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Escobarbarian posted:

Opening scene of latest episode is 10/10

David Schwimmer's performance is such a pleasant surprise.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

yeah, the defence is definitely going to have a field day with these witnesses because they can point to the public record/tv interviews and list out every contradiction, etc, and they may be thrown out as unreliable witnesses in the end

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~
Followup lawyer debrief in this thread for each episode would be incredible. Thanks for doing that!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah please continue this Botnit, it's very interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

commy gun posted:

David Schwimmer's performance is such a pleasant surprise.

oh, speaking of Schwimmer's performance I enjoyed the scene where they got the America's Best Lawyer to attend the defence counsels' meeting. It was that bit when he's explaining how OJ is going to lose his greek god status among the people and lose sympathy points, and Schhwimmer just goes "but he won't - he's OJ." That show of absolute faith he has in his friend in spite of nobody believing OJ's innocence is really good.

• Locked thread