Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

DarklyDreaming posted:

The only bit of superhero fiction I recall (Though there's probably a dozen others I'm forgetting) that really made a big deal about analyzing this kind of morality are the first 2 seasons of Arrow. Where you had Ollie straight up murdering every lesser mook in his way and making named villains suffer in decrepit prisons with broken bodies and shattered spirits. Then people started getting caught in the crossfire and he tried a blanket No-Kill Policy only to realize that sometimes it is impossible to stop someone from being an active threat without killing them but sometimes it is also very possible to stop a criminal without killing them and you should always look for the second option when applicable.

The later seasons would be dumber and all over the place with it, but those first 2 seasons left an impression on me I don't think I'll forget.

Not a comic book but Justified did a bit of this as well. The main character gets called out several times to the fact that he deliberately antagonises the bad guys to draw on him. He's quicker and better trained so he always pulls through but the stand offs could have definitely ended more peacefully if someone else was there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

As long as the Punisher is treated as a villain the entire series, it should be fantastic.

Why? He is the very definition of vigilante.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
The problem with the Punisher isn't that he kills people sometimes, it's that he kills people every time. I mean sure, superheroes have magic plot powers of never accidentally killing anybody, but at the same time the punisher has the magic plot power of presumably never accidentally killing an innocent person, or a person who didn't do anything anywhere near deserving of the death penalty. Punisher has a thing against drug dealers and gangsters in particular - sure, there's some real terrible gangsters and drug dealers out there, but there's also a lot of them who are just a product of their environment and might not have even really had any other options in life and certainly don't deserve to get executed in cold blood.

Honestly I wouldn't be bothered with a hero-type who kill people sometimes, the real terrible ones who really deserve it and would go on to continue to cause a lot of harm to people regardless of how many times you've tried to avoid killing them (see : the joker), but punisher goes way, way beyond that, putting him more in 'serial killer' or 'villain' territory.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The problem with Punisher, nothing.

He's a trained killer that murks mooks.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Apparently I accidentally unbookmarked the Daredevil thread, and can't find it anymore. Anyone have a link to it?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

10 Beers posted:

Apparently I accidentally unbookmarked the Daredevil thread, and can't find it anymore. Anyone have a link to it?

This is it. It was renamed when Jessica Jones came out.

Unless you are joking, in which case, hardy-har.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Snak posted:

This is it. It was renamed when Jessica Jones came out.

Unless you are joking, in which case, hardy-har.

Oh, haha, well that would explain it then! Thanks!

I wasn't joking, but I realized after I posted it could be taken thst way.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I just assumed he was mad about all the Punisher chat.

Incidentally I hope s2 is the Punisher show, with Daredevil showing up once or twice an episode.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

counterfeitsaint posted:

Incidentally I hope s2 is the Punisher show, with Daredevil showing up once or twice an episode.

The only reason I don't hope this is that The Punisher is likely to get his own show, and it would be a bit much to have him hijack DD and then have his own series.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Snak posted:

The only reason I don't hope this is that The Punisher is likely to get his own show, and it would be a bit much to have him hijack DD and then have his own series.

That said I could live with it. Kidding aside I'm sure it will be balanced out with Electra anyway (this was a Punisher based trailer anyway and a second one is still forthcoming).

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Feb 16, 2016

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

counterfeitsaint posted:

That's what I want JJ S2 to be. Just make it Hellcat S1.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Alright that's it Matthew I'm kinkshaming you.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Wow, they are really pulling on the tails of the fetish types aren't they

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Wonder if they're gonna do the scene from the Garth Ennis Punisher storyline.

Fake edit - Scene in question

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Medullah posted:

That would rule. I know JJ took some scenes straight from the comic down to staging panels in certain shots, but
I can't recall if there was anything like that in DD.

Also dudes tied to trees writhing in agony is very common catholic iconography.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Wolpertinger posted:

The problem with the Punisher isn't that he kills people sometimes, it's that he kills people every time. I mean sure, superheroes have magic plot powers of never accidentally killing anybody, but at the same time the punisher has the magic plot power of presumably never accidentally killing an innocent person, or a person who didn't do anything anywhere near deserving of the death penalty. Punisher has a thing against drug dealers and gangsters in particular - sure, there's some real terrible gangsters and drug dealers out there, but there's also a lot of them who are just a product of their environment and might not have even really had any other options in life and certainly don't deserve to get executed in cold blood.

Honestly I wouldn't be bothered with a hero-type who kill people sometimes, the real terrible ones who really deserve it and would go on to continue to cause a lot of harm to people regardless of how many times you've tried to avoid killing them (see : the joker), but punisher goes way, way beyond that, putting him more in 'serial killer' or 'villain' territory.

Yeah. The Punisher would totally kill the kids from The Wire, and that's why he's a villain.

WHERE WALLACE AT, HUH, PUNISHER!?

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
why the gently caress is that not Tom Jane

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Four Score posted:

He's busy doing laundry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWpK0wsnitc

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

zoux posted:

That would rule. I know JJ took some scenes straight from the comic down to staging panels in certain shots, but
I can't recall if there was anything like that in DD.

Also dudes tied to trees writhing in agony is very common catholic iconography.

Didn't we see a preview shot of DD chained to a chimney?

Just putting it out there, we probably want a new thread title.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

I'm not totally in love with that video, it ditches the retro the 80's action thriller vibe which made the concept of the Punisher enjoyable for regular human beings for the gritty Garth Ennis hallmark hyper-violence with undertones of racism I can't stand. Still, I'm really gay for Tom Jane and, to answer my own question he's probably busy filming Syfy's "The Expanse" which is awesome and you should watch

Four Score fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Feb 19, 2016

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
My Punisher is hyper violent, not an 80's action hero.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Four Score posted:

Tom Jane is killing it in a great loving show right now (The Expanse), just let him have this, he's not used to success

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Medullah posted:

I hope they do do that scene but have Daredevil not fire, because why would he? If he'd do anything it's escape and take Castle down at the cost of Gnucci's life since one has to be taken either way, not fire and kill Punisher instead instead of Gnucci. It serves as a better way to highlight the difference between Castle and Murdock for one thing and Matt has already come face to face with the decision of whether to kill or not with Kingpin and backed away from it so having him kill in that situation would just be weird.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rocksicles posted:

My Punisher is hyper violent, not an 80's action hero.

You can be both.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

gfanikf posted:

You can be both.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRAT1-c7q98

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I think The Punisher is a great idea for a comic book universe. He's a logical extreme. I can't stand whenever he's painted as 100% right though. Even if you agree with that viewpoint, you have to admit that it makes the other 99% of the universe look stupid. Bad idea if you want me to buy your poo poo.

And if you sided with the dorks over Superman in What's So Funny, I don't understand you at all.

EDIT: I hope the whole season isn't Foggy and Karen being lil bitches. Karen was pretty insufferable by the end of S1.

SonicRulez fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Feb 19, 2016

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

BizarroAzrael posted:

Just putting it out there, we probably want a new thread title.

If we don't finally get the Avocados At Law title, it's a goddamn travesty.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

If the real world had to put up with the murder-crazy crazy murderers and the 100% ineffectual police that exist in comics there'd probably be a dozen "Punishers" in every city and town.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Kibayasu posted:

If the real world had to put up with the murder-crazy crazy murderers and the 100% ineffectual police that exist in comics there'd probably be a dozen "Punishers" in every city and town.

Clearly they need to make a new hero that fights the murder-crazy police we have now!

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Light Gun Man posted:

Clearly they need to make a new hero that fights the murder-crazy police we have now!

If only there was a person who, despite being an ethnic minority, wasn't able to be killed by the police.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

Snak posted:

I like The Punisher because I dislike the "loophole" of "non-lethal violence" which "good guy" vigilantes get to use to be total badasses without being bad people. Somehow. If you want to cheer when good guys brutalize bad guys because they deserve it, but you are only okay with it because genre magic allows an easily crossable line to crossable only by choice, that's hosed up. It's the basis of our PG-13 mentality, where it is not violence which is objectionable, but the consequences of violence which make people uncomfortable. It is okay to show children that violence is a solution, but you should't show them what violence looks like show it as being psychologically traumatic, because that sort of thing is for adults.

I agree with this 200%, but I have to say it's still less obnoxious than those shows where the hero actually cold-blooded murders a bunch of mooks to catch the big bad, and then pats himself on the back for refusing to murder the big bad. Genre magic might be a weak-sauce fig leaf but that's still better than the Emperor's new clothes.

For comic book TV examples, I want to say Arrow had a lot of this? But Person of Interest is what's currently making me insane. Come on John, X would have never wanted you to kill the bad guy after she ambushed a dozen people with a grenade launcher last episode. Oh, this poor hit man wants to escape his life of violence? Better track down and assassinate everyone targeting him, who are probably all in the exact same position for all we know.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Snak posted:

If only there was a person who, despite being an ethnic minority, wasn't able to be killed by the police.

Superman is passing though.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

McNerd posted:

I agree with this 200%, but I have to say it's still less obnoxious than those shows where the hero actually cold-blooded murders a bunch of mooks to catch the big bad, and then pats himself on the back for refusing to murder the big bad. Genre magic might be a weak-sauce fig leaf but that's still better than the Emperor's new clothes.

For comic book TV examples, I want to say Arrow had a lot of this? But Person of Interest is what's currently making me insane. Come on John, X would have never wanted you to kill the bad guy after she ambushed a dozen people with a grenade launcher last episode. Oh, this poor hit man wants to escape his life of violence? Better track down and assassinate everyone targeting him, who are probably all in the exact same position for all we know.

John shoots everyone in the knees.

gurney
Feb 17, 2016

by Shine
Okay guys, I liked "Daredevil" but I avoided Jessica Jones because I am possibly sexist. Did I make a mistake? Is it in fact a good show?

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

zoux posted:

John shoots everyone in the knees.
Many people, but not everyone. In the first episode I alluded to (s3e10, admittedly a more violent rampage than usual) he definitely just plowed a truck through a car full of unsuspecting crooks and left them to burn to death in the ensuing explosion.

gurney posted:

Okay guys, I liked "Daredevil" but I avoided Jessica Jones because I am possibly sexist. Did I make a mistake? Is it in fact a good show?

Yes, it's not very similar to Daredevil but watch anyway.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

gurney posted:

It's pretty decent, yeah.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

McNerd posted:

Many people, but not everyone. In the first episode I alluded to (s3e10, admittedly a more violent rampage than usual) he definitely just plowed a truck through a car full of unsuspecting crooks and left them to burn to death in the ensuing explosion.

Yes, it's not very similar to Daredevil but watch anyway.

I guarantee you everyone is intended to live in these shows, and they wouldn't just gloss over a major character moment like breaking a no kill vow without making it a whole big discussion. Like Oliver shoots so many people in what look like vital areas but for action and pacing issues they don't have him go over and say "aha once again right in the secret knockout safely nerve i learned about on ninja island".

But I also can't recall that specific scene so maybe it was a big deal at the time.

zoux fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Feb 19, 2016

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

gurney posted:

I feel like there's a pretty even split on which one people consider to be better, based on their personal taste.

I personally like Jessica Jones more, but I don't necessarily expect other people to agree.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

gurney posted:

you should let jessica jones.... inside of you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gurney
Feb 17, 2016

by Shine
Thanks! Will give it a chance!