Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Terrible Opinions posted:

Even as a grog I don't get people complaining about dragonborn in 4e Darksun. Did they not play or at least read the more interesting Dark Sun adventures? There were straight up dragon men in 2nd edition, a whole city of them. The backstory of "btw these dragon dudes no broke free of the evil undead sorcerer king who created them," was great.

The guy's complaint was "draconians are from DRAGONLANCE, this is DARK SUN!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Suppose you were a Martian who had just arrived on Earth and (for strange alien reasons) cared deeply about the RPG industry right now as it is today.

You'd give many fucks about Kickstarter and next to zero about D&D.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
4E Dark Sun was ironically the one setting for that particular edition where they paid the greatest heed to its 2E predecessor. The general rule of 4E settings was "if it's in the game then it has a place in the setting," so you get eladrin and dragonborn and tieflings all up in Eberron where they didn't really exist before even though it's not really all that awkward an inclusion, but 4E Dark Sun straight up said "Hey, no Divine Classes. Yeah, you can add them if you want we guess but for real, no Paladins or Clerics, go Primal or go home."

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Kai Tave posted:

No, they just complain about the unified look of 4E tieflings. On the one hand there's something to be said for the weird wonder factor of demon people who can have all sorts of different demonic features as part of their heritage, on the other hand there's literally nothing stopping you from simply declaring "oh btw my tiefling doesn't have horns or a tail, instead he's got cloven feet and decorative bat-wings that don't actually let him fly" if it matters that much to you instead of endlessly raging against Wot$, now guess which one they actually did.

One group I'm in a bunch of dudes railed against 4e's additions. They legit didn't know that tieflings and even eladrin predated that edition.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Kai Tave posted:

4E Dark Sun was ironically the one setting for that particular edition where they paid the greatest heed to its 2E predecessor. The general rule of 4E settings was "if it's in the game then it has a place in the setting," so you get eladrin and dragonborn and tieflings all up in Eberron where they didn't really exist before even though it's not really all that awkward an inclusion, but 4E Dark Sun straight up said "Hey, no Divine Classes. Yeah, you can add them if you want we guess but for real, no Paladins or Clerics, go Primal or go home."

4e Eberron carried right on in 3e's footsteps, too, but the setting as a whole is a lot more laid back about canon so it wasn't that harmed by an edition change. "If it's in the game, it has a place in the setting" is almost verbatim one of Eberron's main slogans. Tieflings and Dragonborn were already options in 3e anyway, albeit with different fluff attached to them. Eladrins were actually a cool addition that brought some interesting story hooks with them.

Lightning Lord posted:

One group I'm in a bunch of dudes railed against 4e's additions. They legit didn't know that tieflings and even eladrin predated that edition.

tbh I wish they'd kept the celestial origin of Eladrins, if only as a counterpart to tieflings in the core book, because playable celestials should be given page space too. The Devas in the PHB 2 were a cool addition, though their lore was a lot more clearly defined than tieflings.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Feb 19, 2016

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The one Dark Sun thing that really resonated with me was that there was no interaction with any of the other D&Ds. I assumed this was because Dark Sun took place in the way loving future, way the hell after the other worlds had met their natural endings. The Dark Sun was the last star anywhere, and Athas was a world circling it like an insect getting flushed down the drain.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Kai Tave posted:

Eberron's central setting rules included "if it is in core dungeons and dragons it is in the setting". Hence some of the "this nation includes all the monsters otherwise not listed" and the "plane of outsiders that don't fit the rest of the setting" bits. So there's really nothing wrong with the new additions.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Terrible Opinions posted:

Eberron's central setting rules included "if it is in core dungeons and dragons it is in the setting". Hence some of the "this nation includes all the monsters otherwise not listed" and the "plane of outsiders that don't fit the rest of the setting" bits. So there's really nothing wrong with the new additions.

Yeah I know, and they carried that forward into 4E as a whole. For example they wound up presenting warforged in an early digital Dragon article that was largely setting agnostic, so the idea is you can just throw warforged into Points of Light or Forgotten Realms or whatever, go nuts. So a bunch of people when 4E Dark Sun was announced went full doomsayer about how it was going to be this awful bastardization full of people tromping around with gnomes and paladins and whatever else, and Not In My Dark Sun. Only it turned out that they actually made a big exception with Dark Sun and straight up told you "the following things aren't really supposed to be in here, don't use them."

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

gradenko_2000 posted:

I can't empty-quote, so let's just say that if you cherry-pick Traveller enough you can totally play it as a John Carter of Mars-esque planetary sword adventure anyway.

http://drivethrurpg.com/product/171363/Warriors-of-the-Red-Planet?manufacturers_id=6385

Humbug Scoolbus fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Feb 19, 2016

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Misandu posted:

There's no way that a Conan RPG doing well is an indication that the TTRPG industry is in a good way. If this was some campaign for an up and coming YA series or something then sure that would be a great example of how the industry wasn't catering to an ageing audience, but Conan?

What about a brand new IP called Pugmire with 2,500 backers? https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/200664283/pugmire-fantasy-tabletop-rpg

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Kibner posted:

What about a brand new IP called Pugmire with 2,500 backers? https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/200664283/pugmire-fantasy-tabletop-rpg

It's being made by the successor company to White Wolf, they've been advertising its existence for like a year, and it's based on d20.

Granted, if you'd told me (or them) a month or two ago that it'd be sitting at $150,000 with 18 days to go, I'd have laughed in your face.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Also not to knock Pugmire or anything but 2,500 backers is, well, it's not a super huge number. It's a very comfortable number, certainly, and I think it's pretty representative of the state of the TRPG hobby circa now. I don't know if balkanized is the word I'd use exactly, but I don't think it's a stretch to say that this is probably the best time to be a dude with an idea for a RPG to be published by you or like you and a couple friends, because gone are the days when you had to order 10,000 physical copies to get your game made and had no way of advertising it. Now you have a proliferation of self-publishing tools, social media, digital content services, and Kickstarter. Apocalypse World 2E has over 2,800 backers and nearly $100K for another example. That's pretty cool and I'm sure Vincent Baker is deservedly pleased.

But whether this is good or not depends on how you're defining what it means for the TRPG hobby to be doing well/not well.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Yes! I did discover that some weeks ago and snapped it up along with Starship-Troopers-turned-OD&D and Silver-Age(?)-Superheroes-turned-OD&D

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

moths posted:

The one Dark Sun thing that really resonated with me was that there was no interaction with any of the other D&Ds. I assumed this was because Dark Sun took place in the way loving future, way the hell after the other worlds had met their natural endings. The Dark Sun was the last star anywhere, and Athas was a world circling it like an insect getting flushed down the drain.

I'm sorry, but I think the actual reason they came up with was that Athas is surrounded by a crystal sphere or some equally stupid thing that prevents some enterprising Spelljammer from hauling in a shipment of steel swords.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

In fairness 2e's cosmology was full of some absolutely stupid poo poo, and that probably doesn't even crack the top 20. :v:

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm sorry, but I think the actual reason they came up with was that Athas is surrounded by a crystal sphere or some equally stupid thing that prevents some enterprising Spelljammer from hauling in a shipment of steel swords.

I think the explanation for why spelljamming ships didn't go there was just "it's really, really far away".

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Kai Tave posted:

I'm pretty sure you'll find that the idea of dragonpeople was invented by 4th Edition Dungeons & Dragons circa 2008, actually.

Actually, 2006. People forget they were an import from late 3.5 material.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Asimo posted:

In fairness 2e's cosmology was full of some absolutely stupid poo poo, and that probably doesn't even crack the top 20. :v:

I liked 2e's superhero cosmology. Aside from Planescape, I don't think it really had much impact though. The most I ever saw impacting actual play was brief references to other worlds cropping up in campaigns. Also stuff like Solamnic Knights from Dragonlance briefly appearing in Baldur's Gate 2.

Halloween Jack posted:

What are they going to get in trade? Some valueless ceramic coins? I think the real reason, beyond distance and the like, is that Athas is a well-known shithole.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Personal anecdote & reflection time:

I am someone who splashed around in the shallow end of the hobby with 2E D&D, really went all-in on 3.x and enjoyed it a ton for what it was, tried 4E but never really found myself hooked by it even though I could recognize its mechanical upsides. I never hated 4E fans or anything but if you'd made me take a side in the edition wars, I would have had to go with 3.x/Pathfinder.

Recently I've picked up Dungeon World and begin looking into it and I'm already really enamored with it. Now, if you went by stereotypes, you wouldn't expect someone to follow the pattern "loved 3E, meh on 4E, loves the looks of DW," to say the least. Which invites me to ask myself the question: Why?

I've decided--and this was something I already knew for most purposes, but having another data point in DW has really helped cement it--that what I loved about 3.x, at least by the time I'd bought way too many splats, was that it held out the promise of being able to do nearly anything, especially if you took third-party stuff into account too. Would it blow up horribly in execution if you weren't careful? Sure. I never really encountered that, which in retrospect was part luck and part the way we ran our games. But anyway, the promise of doing whatever you wanted was there. And that's what DW has offered to me again, except this time I don't need to hunt down which combination of books will give me the full rules for playing a half-gnoll half-ogre alienist, I can just write myself a playbook. I can even use the fluff from my old books. Pretty cool.

4E alienated me when it broke compatibility with all my accumulated 3.x resources and didn't give me any immediate way to replace them. Couldn't buy a book for <concept> because it wasn't out yet by the time I got disenchanted with the new system. Couldn't easily homebrew or port <concept> from the old system because, for all the ways it streamlined things, 4E still had more than enough crunch that it felt like a burden to brew stuff up if it wasn't very easy to base off of something they printed in the first round of core books.

If 4E had been DW-level simple to brew stuff for, or if they had managed to update the rules in a way that made it fully straightforward to port stuff from 3E (or even just not completely broken compatibility in the first place) it might have been a different story. It was neither, so they lost me. C'est la vie.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

I don't think anyone's ever objected to people simply disliking 4e. The issue is the idea that 4e was some kind of conspiracy to destroy D&D.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

ProfessorCirno posted:

It's not supposed to "make sense." It's OD&D. Each level you gain 1HD and become that next monster. Which leads to some hilarity! Insert the story of the flying vampire/wraith war here.
I'm pretty sure the original concept of D&D was going into a dungeon to extract as much loot as possible, and the dungeon exists because the concept of the game is going into it to get loot.

You leveled up from skeleton to zombie because the zombie was a more powerful form of undead and it was a loving game and didn't care about things that weren't being a fun game.

Leperflesh posted:

We're teetering perilously close to edition wars here - probably the only reason it hasn't kicked off is because most of us liked 4th edition. The real point of the discussion is that a lot of people viscerally reacted badly to 4th edition, and that was a problem for it.
Don't forget that Paizo was throwing matches into piles of oily rags and pointing fans* at the metaphorical flames of edition wars basically the instant 4e was announced, well before anybody had any actual details about anything that was going to be in it, including the people making it. To sell their own copy of D&D 3.x.

*the air blowing kind, not the "i like this thing" people

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Lightning Lord posted:

I don't think anyone's ever objected to people simply disliking 4e. The issue is the idea that 4e was some kind of conspiracy to destroy D&D.
Yeah, the real issue I've found is that there's a lot of very genuine reasons to dislike 4e... it's just that a lot of the diehard edition warrior sorts don't realize that they're also issues 3e had in spade as well, too.

Zereth posted:

I'm pretty sure the original concept of D&D was going into a dungeon to extract as much loot as possible, and the dungeon exists because the concept of the game is going into it to get loot.
Here's your regular reminder that experience points were originally literally equal to how much gold you brought out of the dungeon. :v:

(This also had interesting metagame side effects that have since been lost... it was easier to get new characters up to speed for example, you just shovel a larger share of the gold onto them.)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Zereth posted:

Don't forget that Paizo was throwing matches into piles of oily rags and pointing fans* at the metaphorical flames of edition wars basically the instant 4e was announced, well before anybody had any actual details about anything that was going to be in it, including the people making it. To sell their own copy of D&D 3.x.

I think it was also the case that WOTC never tried to form a good counter-narrative, and that their own marketing for 4e was focused on pointing out stuff that was busted in 3.5e that they were going to try and fix.

I mean, it's good that they did that, but I think it also created some feelings of resentment that they were tearing into a game that people enjoyed for perfectly legitimate reasons.

Asimo posted:

Yeah, the real issue I've found is that there's a lot of very genuine reasons to dislike 4e

Yeah, the monster math was busted, the player math was busted and never errata'd properly, there were way too many feats, the original run of adventures were bad, the skill challenge system was both busted and not explained very well, the item treadmill was still held over from 3.5e, the splatbook treadmill as a design choice in general is not good for long-term user convenience, etc. etc.

It's just that it's almost never those issues that you hear about when people criticize 4e.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Well, skill challenges. That's like the one point of common ground fans of 4E and edition warriors have in common.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
skill challenges are still a step forward towards something better, instead of one unfun binary pass or fail check you had to make like eight it was bad but there was an attempt

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

grassy gnoll posted:

I think we can all agree we don't want Ettin in our games.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Dark Sun cosmology is weird, even by the standards of 2E. It's explicitly cut off from the rest of the multiverse, with its own weird little pocket planes called the Gray and the Black, which are apparently home to weird psionic monsters and the occasional inexplicable tanar'ri. Its elemental planes are so run down they're straight-up inhabitable by demihumans, small lakes and large puddles of native elemental material surrounded by spent matter, rather than infinities of raw elements and byproducts you need specialized spells to survive in. They're so bad off, the also-ran planes like Dust and Magma are making a play for power.

Nevermind that there's apparently a population of Athasian elves buggering around the silver deserts of Pelor somehow.

From the Spelljammer perspective, every prime 'plane' is bounded by a crystal sphere, bobbing around in an ether-like ocean of phlogiston. I think a sidebar in a Planescape book retconned the 'Flow' into being the entirety of the Prime Material itself, but that's different weirdness. It's possible to navigate between them, and the spheres normally allow passage through their impermeable shells under certain circumstances, but from what I remember Athas is straight-up lost, far enough from the shipping lanes and known spheres that you'll probably run out of food and air on a round trip. Adding insult to injury, its sphere may be impervious to passage-opening spells and effects.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
There is, however, an Athasian realm in Ravenloft which is amusing to me, considering all the other efforts to keep it separate.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I think that was specifically to help cement the Dark Powers as being able to get their toys no matter what sort of protection or barriers were in the way.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

bongwizzard posted:

I hope the future of ttrpgs isn't all pdfs. I really hate reading them and digitally flipping back and forth is super annoying to me. I backed the DCC kickstarter and have really like the little bits of it I have read, but I am not going to even try to drum up interest without a book to hand my friends.
I kinda want it all, myself.

I've been playing for 35ish years, myself, and I still want a real, paper book I can hold and flip through and mark pages on while learning a game. I learn RPGs by flipping around, and doing that on my tablet is rough. But at the same time, I also want electronic tools for actual use of that material for reference during game-time. (If such a thing is even necessary) And for complex games, I want a good character builder.

Note that this "physical book" thing is only RPGs, though - I have no more use for physical novels, since I find my Kindle to be completely superior to paper books.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
The best hope for the P&P scene is perhaps the same as it has always been in terms of branching out---novel adaptations, even those that file off much of the serial numbers, should be able to work wonders so long as it is diligently done up and you don't get lost in a sea of IP grasping idiocy.

Like the earlier train of thought on D&D and Sword World and how the Japanese market veered off of D&D derivatives? Yeah, Final Fantasy was absolutely D&D* with some ample bits scratched out and flavour injected anew to tremendous success that, while nothing that echoed back to D&D proper as it wasn't the sort of explicit arrangement like a Goldbox game or some such, absolutely planted the seeds and nourished an entire swath of folks, young and old alike, that otherwise might not have been galvanized.

But then, well, the FF series pretty much completely abandoned that notion of "adapting" from P&P and just kind of went their own way from that springboard to the levels of relative success mixed with horrible waste and business idiocy that would make WoTC & Friends proud.

Crimson Shroud and Unlimited SaGa are among a very few(in an absolute and comparative) other games from other outfits entirely that wear the influence on their sleeve, but all just sort of incidentally so without the historical hallmarks baked in as touchstones---plus Unlimited SaGa drove most folks to madness so...yeah.

The point is though: Much like my old rant in the CYOA scene that history went awry by not jumping out ahead of the .PDF dominion to be via embracing the hell out of applying the Diskmag scene's tech---adaptations from afar, not even necessarily geographically and culturally so much as stylistically, like Final Fantasy's old situation, should never have stopped being a thing as opposed to only escalated from there because they clearly touched upon being onto something at the core of it.

Pathfinder has one or more things going with Obsidian, that one Anima 3D spectacle brawler with RPG trimmings is still slow simmering long after their successful KS for it, we almost got a damned Ars Magica game were it not for the great mistake of partnering with the Academagia outfit then seemingly throwing their hands up to head back home ball in hand when that campaign failed. There should be so, so many more projects running this gauntlet across the spectrum---especially with the tech level we have today that just wasn't at all there compared to the 80's or even the 90's. Both industries even share most of the same drat problems at that given they came up relatively together in time---the complementary factors are so pronounced it is an insane waste to not capitalize on them.

The whole "purity" thing along P&P lines where everything just keeps on getting distilled down until it is just for the old chosen makes about as sense as foregoing a good time sharing some balsamic vinegar around myriad tasty dishes to the point of it, I dunno, becoming some dodgy alcohol that'd be reduced to something of a relic fit for only an even smaller group of old chosen at best. Ultimately, it is about having a good and/or thought provoking time in a creative context that combines creative disciplines To Be Something or Onto Something intangibly greater than the sum of each individual part---at best a deep seated yearning for baggage-free romanticism and a spirit of high adventure & intrigue that plucks the heartstrings of most folks providing they come across the right tune on the wind at the right time. Anything that can be undertaken to feed or expand upon that core notion, as opposed to just some sort of slave to taxonomy and trying to forcibly shackle things into a reliquary while it is still very much alive, evolving, and onto something independent of the projections of vocal minorities missing the forest for the trees---all options should be on the table and passionately pursued as this whole drat thing is only a scant few decades old in the grand scheme of things such that the map of the world's boundaries and points of interest are far from known nor sacrosanct.

The good news is that the industry won't really be able to repeat the mistakes of D&D at this point in general going forward---it doesn't even have the baseline resources built up before they realized what they truly had on their hands to even try to do so as far as squandering them!

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
It's not that the future of the industrt is digital only, it's one where digital is the primary product and physical books are secondary, luxury products for fans. The physical books should probably be either limited run or POD to keep costs of housing/lack of physical sales low.

There is a lot of evidence digital sales do not canabalize physical sales and digital sales allow new customers to buy goods due to reduced cost of entry.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Elfgames posted:

skill challenges are still a step forward towards something better, instead of one unfun binary pass or fail check you had to make like eight it was bad but there was an attempt

Yeah. It's good to get the point across that "you don't need to decide everything on a single die roll" but the moment you try to put another one-method-fits-all approach in place it runs into the same problems. In some places it was presented well as an example format, but then anyone else making examples bound themselves slavishly to that same format.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Lightning Lord posted:

I objected to people who claimed to dislike 4e for stated reasons that were entirely bullshit. Like, OK, your reaction is completely valid, you get to own your own opinions and emotions, that's fine. But if you go online and post a bunch of stuff about a game that simply isn't true, and which contributes to a mutual well-poisoning to boot, then I object. And those not-true things extended well beyond the conspiracy theories. I'm thinking poo poo like "they took away x skill, so now you can't do that thing in D&D any more!" or "D&D 4th Edition is impossible to house-rule, you're stuck with the flavor text in the game, because it's there!" or "3rd Edition was perfectly balanced, and 4th edition has ruined spellcasters by massively nerfing them which destroys that balance!"

There were also a lot of reasons given that, while true in some sense, were silly or reactionary in some way. Probably the most prominent, to me, was the claim that 4th edition was "like World of Warcraft," (as a denegration of both), because of the direct identification of the four character roles, plus the encapsulation of character abilities into color-coded, repeatable, button-push Powers. Which, yes, OK, those are similarities, friend, but they're good, that's actually a good thing! World of Warcraft certainly isn't for everyone, but over the years, as much as video games have borrowed from TTRPGs, they've also made valuable innovations and it's foolish for TTRPGs to reject those innovations solely because of their source. It's OK and actually helpful to admit that a fighter is a tank and a wizard is a controller, even if you never really thought about them that way before.

But that comes from the "I'm superior to vidyagamers because I play in TTRPGs" attitude - it's tribalism, of course.

So yeah, I found those sorts of arguments pretty objectionable. I mean, if Joe Blow says he won't play 4th edition, that's no skin off my nose regardless of whether his reasoning is sound or faulty. But if a thousand Joes are screaming faulty reasoning into every conversation about D&D everywhere, and a lot of bystanders are being turned off by it all? That's really, really annoying.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Feb 20, 2016

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo
Re: Athas, Planescape, and Spelljammer.

A weird trend I noticed even as a green gamer back in the 90s without internet is that you had these game lines with their own cosmologies and they all tried to establish their own supremacy over the others. Like, Planescape very clearly had the idea that all other campaign settings were a part of its Great Wheel cosmology somewhere. Dark Sun had its own, different cosmology and so it wasn't... except that Planescape said "nuh uh you belong to me!" just the same, probably in some Dragon article somewhere.

Spelljammer and Planescape coexisting is a bit of a nightmare. They both claim to model the multiverse and their models are somewhat contradictory, but they shoehorned it in anyway.

Ravenloft poached a bit of Dark Sun even though that shouldn't be possible.

It all feels a bit like petty office politics, different cliques trying to one-up each other over the lowest, most imaginary stakes of all time.

E:
I think supplements such as the Complete Book of Elves also weighed in on this, explaining the various sub-races across all game lines with an evolutionary chart or something? Saying that they all came from the same original stock, something like that.

Sage Genesis fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Feb 20, 2016

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Kai Tave posted:

4E Dark Sun was ironically the one setting for that particular edition where they paid the greatest heed to its 2E predecessor. The general rule of 4E settings was "if it's in the game then it has a place in the setting," so you get eladrin and dragonborn and tieflings all up in Eberron where they didn't really exist before even though it's not really all that awkward an inclusion.

This is actually intentional. One of the requirements of the initial treatments for the context that Eberron won was "Everything in every 3.5 book printed has to have a place in your setting." That's why the Mournland is a crazy blasted Magical Apocalypse, Xen'Drik is a constantly shifting realm of whatever the gently caress needs to be there, and Argonessen is one giant literal "Hic Sunt Dracones" joke.

That's part of the reason they didn't seek out Greenwood/Salvatore's stamp of approval on the setting changes, even the implementation of AEUDs would have probably been shot down by Greenwood since he made part of Mystra's reason for existance "Maintain the Vancian Casting System" and AEUDs would have meant the Elminster would have taken a hit in power. That said I'm pretty sure that Warforged and Changelings never got an official reason for existing in FR, beyond maybe a "Gond?(shrug)".

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Leperflesh posted:

So yeah, I found those sorts of arguments pretty objectionable. I mean, if Joe Blow says he won't play 4th edition, that's no skin off my nose regardless of whether his reasoning is sound or faulty.

I misread that as "Jon Blow" and got very confused for a second.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Kurieg posted:

This is actually intentional. One of the requirements of the initial treatments for the context that Eberron won was "Everything in every 3.5 book printed has to have a place in your setting."

Really? Why, I thought 3.5 was a bloated mess.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

bongwizzard posted:

Really? Why, I thought 3.5 was a bloated mess.

Because Eberron was 3.5's setting. And most 3.5 books had a "How do you do this in Eberron/FR/Your Setting" sidebar or 3.

Also it wasn't "Everything does exist" it was more "Everything can exist if you want it to".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Oh, I thought Eberron was 4e, I have only skimmed the more recent stuff.

• Locked thread