Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Big Luke must be huge then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Droids suffer , feel pain, and can communicate in human language. That's pretty human.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

kiimo posted:

Big Luke must be huge then.

Big Luke's headless body is decomposing in a cave on Dagobah.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Yeah anyone who doesn't accept the imagery of the slave auction when Luke and Owen purchase C-3PO and R2-D2 from the jawas, or doesn't wince when Luke returns the first R2 unit because it has a "bad motivator" is kidding themselves.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Jewmanji posted:

Yeah anyone who doesn't accept the imagery of the slave auction when Luke and Owen purchase C-3PO and R2-D2 from the jawas, or doesn't wince when Luke returns the first R2 unit because it has a "bad motivator" is kidding themselves.

Nothing's going on in that scene at all, like just today I had to attach a restraining bolt to my PS4 so it would be play games instead of thinking for itself and possibly not liking me.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Schwarzwald posted:

Big Luke's headless body is decomposing in a cave on Dagobah.

I'm surprised SMG hasn't taken that scene and extrapolated some kind of hosed up theory about how young Luke is dead, replaced by Dark Side Clone Luke, who understands the world better than myopic Jedis because Good is Dumb.

Of course he may have, I started skimming his posts around last April.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Jewmanji posted:

R5-D4's motivator literally exploded out of the top of his dome.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

What are those two designs from?
The top one seems semi-familiar, but the bottom one is new to me. I really dig both designs, either way.

The top one is the Eclipse star destroyer (it has a superlaser at it's tip)

The bottom one is a Sith star destroyer type thing from the old republic times

They're both old EU now.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

jivjov posted:

R5-D4's motivator literally exploded out of the top of his dome.

It's an enslaved person losing its mind after being torn from its enslaved child.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

kiimo posted:

I'm surprised SMG hasn't taken that scene and extrapolated some kind of hosed up theory about how young Luke is dead, replaced by Dark Side Clone Luke, who understands the world better than myopic Jedis because Good is Dumb.

Viewing the real world around a simple good/bad binary is dumb - that is what the prequels are about. The autistic paradise of the pre-Episode 1 Republic falls apart because humans like drama. The Force represents a purer form of communication between individuals (SMG did a great analysis of Episode V and this theme) that can allow a harmonious world to exist. But this requires the will and wisdom that the prequel Jedi and we today lack.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

kiimo posted:

What? He's 50% of the reason I check this thread. How do people not appreciate SMG? I mean seriously. It's like having Roland Barthes in this very thread with us.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Anakin Skywalker was a child-murdering Evil Person and my only regret was he wasn't alive when Luke burned him.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

kiimo posted:

Episode VIII teaser:

*Shots of space and huge ship to ship battles*
*Luke's voice* "REY......."
*Luke takes up the lightsaber from her hand*
"REY.....We have a BIG problem."
*Shot of slightly taller Luke killing younglings*
*smash cut to STAR WARS*

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

kiimo posted:

Anakin Skywalker was a child-murdering Evil Person and my only regret was he wasn't alive when Luke burned him.

Do you consider yourself to be a Christian?

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I'm glad this thread is finally exploring the implications of the Bigger Luke Hypothesis.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Empress Theonora posted:

I'm glad this thread is finally exploring the implications of the Bigger Luke Hypothesis.

In a way, there's a slightly taller Luke Skywalker next to all of us.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

kiimo posted:

Why would I do something like that.?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Guidelines for writing stars' war

Robots are best characterized like the appliance animals of The Flintstones

'It's a living'

Over the centuries with the development of retraining bolts and memory wipes droids know their place.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Jewmanji posted:

Someone convince me that it's going to be ok when we find out that Snoke is just another evil dude lurking in the shadows.

Snoke is likely just a guy, and even if by some minuscule chance he is Plagueis, we've never met him and we know little enough about him that he's still essentially just a guy, even if he did set a lot of important stuff in motion 100 years ago. Drop the name Plagueis and 90% of the viewing audience is just going to say "huh"?

I'm not the first to suggest it, but I'd bet good money that if there's a "twist" coming about Snoke, it's going to be about what he is, not who he is. Like he's a ghost or a computer program or really small or something.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Feb 19, 2016

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The hologram is Luke in disguise.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
It's an actor in a mocap suit that some old whitehair Imperials are using to dupe Kylo Ren (and only Kylo Ren, it's common knowledge among the stormtroopers and everybody that it's all a charade and he's the only one dumb enough to fall for it).

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Toilet Mouth posted:

It's an actor in a mocap suit that some old whitehair Imperials are using to dupe Kylo Ren (and only Kylo Ren, it's common knowledge among the stormtroopers and everybody that it's all a charade and he's the only one dumb enough to fall for it).

There was a plot twist in the terrible Kevin J Anderson "Young Jedi Knights" book series I always really liked, where the guy running Evil Jedi Academy is getting orders from a hologram of Emperor Palpatine. When everything's going to hell in a handbasket, he runs to Palpatine for advice and barges in on his "meditation chamber" only to find that it's just been some former imperial guards manipulating old recordings of the Emperor for years. He takes the news about as well as Kylo would have.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Toilet Mouth posted:

Snoke is likely just a guy, and even if by some minuscule chance he is Plagueis, we've never met him and we know little enough about him that he's still essentially just a guy, even if he did set a lot of important stuff in motion 100 years ago. Drop the name Plagueis and 90% of the viewing audience is just going to say "huh"?

I'm not the first to suggest it, but I'd bet good money that if there's a "twist" coming about Snoke, it's going to be about what he is, not who he is. Like he's a ghost or a computer program or really small or something.

I'm not sure I buy the argument that revealing him to be Plagueis would leave audiences scratching their heads. They could very easily just give him that name and the people who care would be able to connect the dots.

"Your evil ship is ready, Lord Plagueis"

"Sure thanks, now onto evil things."

It's not something that needs a big reveal necessarily, but would help smooth out the three trilogies quite concisely rather than giving the mythic powers to some schmo from a different space neighborhood.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

One of the reasons I wish Jodorowsky's Dune got made (besides, like it's Jodorowsky's Dune holy poo poo) was that they were going to have all the ships be painted with crazy patterns and colors (some of which could change). The space backgrounds were going to be hyper colorful with tons of nebula and trials of gasses and stuff and the ships would use this as camouflage to blend in., the comparison was to elaborately colored fish that blend in very effectively with the specific types of coral and seaweed they live in.

That colorful, patterned look is typical of Chris Foss, the artist who made those Dune paintings, like this:

or this:

or this:

or perhaps something that nerdo-prime Lucas would definitely have seen in 1973 on the cover of the novel Moonbeast, or on the cover of a 1974 Science Fiction Monthly.

Look familiar?

Chris Foss posted:

“When I first saw Star Wars, and the triangular spaceship came on, I was actually quite annoyed because I thought ‘hahaha, they’ve nicked that from the painting I did’. The Bloodstar Conspiracy, which I did for Panther ages before, and in fact I did have a minor run-in with two representatives from the studio.”

Bloodstar Conspiracy didn't end up coming out until 1978 though. Still, Lucas or someone working for him definitely saw it. Disappointed the prequel precursors didn't go more in this direction, or at least paint scheme.

Foss's work did make it into Star Wars in full though, albiet in a very minor role:

I'm still waiting for a film that is inspired by Foss's art than the generic garbage we get in 90% of space films these days.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Feb 19, 2016

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Kart Barfunkel posted:

I'm not sure I buy the argument that revealing him to be Plagueis would leave audiences scratching their heads. They could very easily just give him that name and the people who care would be able to connect the dots.

It would be awkward if for no other reason than that they introduced him as something else.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I kinda wish they'd gone full Techno-Pope with Snoke.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

feedmyleg posted:

I'm still waiting for a film that is inspired by Foss's art than the generic garbage we get in 90% of space films these days.

IIRC, Chris Foss designed the ships for Guardians of the Galaxy, and some of the ships in The Expanse have a bit of a Foss-ish look.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
If Grand Poobah Snoke is in fact a Sith Lord, there is the hilarious implication that he hasn't given Kylo a Darth title yet.
Really feeding into that kids insecurities.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
I think people are fundamentally missing the point of a twist. The idea is that you take a story that the audience is invested in, and then introduce new information that recontextualizing everything.

For example, you follow Bruce Willis' story and then reveal he's a ghost in order to make the point that he's been sleepwalking through life.

Snoke is just a guy who sits in a chair, so who cares if it's actually Darth Plagueous who sat in a chair during the events of this film?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

McDowell posted:

Do you consider yourself to be a Christian?

I consider myself over any Star Wars conversation that doesn't involve movie news or jokes.

Neo Rasa posted:

Episode VIII teaser:

*Shots of space and huge ship to ship battles*
*Luke's voice* "REY......."
*Luke takes up the lightsaber from her hand*
"REY.....We have a BIG problem."
*Shot of slightly taller Luke killing younglings*
*smash cut to STAR WARS*

like this. This I am in to.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

kiimo posted:

I consider myself over any Star Wars conversation that doesn't involve movie news or jokes.

Ever hear of IO9?????

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

kiimo posted:

Bummer, man. Those are the most interesting kind.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I've been following this thread for thousands of pages and it has become like a heroin habit where I am only happy on the initial high and that hit is when I read movie news and jokes and then 40 pages of droid slavery are like the baby crawling on the ceiling as I detox.

Also I'm not being very serious, please continue your droid slavery conversation don't mind me. I even like SMG

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I finished reading that EU book Lost Stars today. It ends with this specific Star Destroyer crashing into Jakku.

The book is better than The Force Awakens.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Raxivace posted:

I finished reading that EU book Lost Stars today. It ends with this specific Star Destroyer crashing into Jakku.

The book is better than The Force Awakens.

Well, it ends with A Star Destroyer crashing into Jakku. There may be more.

But it's probably this one.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
There's at least two because we see a Super Star Destroyer crashed on the planet's surface as well IIRC.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

snoke
ekons
enoks
euoks
euuoks
ewoks

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Sir Kodiak posted:

snoke
ekons
enoks
euoks
euuoks
ewoks

Only if he's a stack of ewoks standing on each other.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

kiimo posted:

I've been following this thread for thousands of pages and it has become like a heroin habit where I am only happy on the initial high and that hit is when I read movie news and jokes and then 40 pages of droid slavery are like the baby crawling on the ceiling as I detox.

"You know those Star Wars prequels you hate? They're actually about droid slavery. So that means they're good" :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Yaws posted:

"You know those Star Wars prequels you hate? They're actually about droid slavery. So that means they're good" :smug:

Nope, just Star Wars in general is about droid slavery.

• Locked thread