Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
My dumb fanficcy wish was for the Crucible to mess with the Reapers' minds and cause them to go psychotic and start killing each other and themselves. I just thought that would've been a cool scene to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
It should have teleported them back into dark space so everyone could finish the secret projects they were working on in me2.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
My fanfict wish is that the third game never happened so i didn't have to wade through like 22 pages of arguments about the dumb ending that i stopped caring about as soon as I heard it. I remember alt tabbing for 20 minutes, looking up gamefaqs to see if i got the bad ending, so i picked what anderson would have, and never felt bad at all. Then i tried synethesis, and never played me 3 story again.

The real important question is where Joker's Hat belongs in the new perfect world.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Axe-man posted:

My fanfict wish is that the third game never happened so i didn't have to wade through like 22 pages of arguments about the dumb ending that i stopped caring about as soon as I heard it. I remember alt tabbing for 20 minutes, looking up gamefaqs to see if i got the bad ending, so i picked what anderson would have, and never felt bad at all. Then i tried synethesis, and never played me 3 story again.

The real important question is where Joker's Hat belongs in the new perfect world.

Joker and EDI have joint custody of the hat after their inevitable divorce

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Is there a mod that just cuts from Shepard and Anderson straight into the Destroy ending? That's probably the best you could do to "fix" it I guess. I looked at that Happy Ending mod out of curiosity and man oh man the amateur voice acting and awkward editing just makes it too cringe-y to watch.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

TheCenturion posted:

Now, I love a good fan-wank as much as anybody. I've spent years joyously debating the ending of Evangelion, where End of Evangelion fits into it, how much of it was budget, original intent, creator breakdown, etc etc.

The thing to remember with Mass Effect is that, over the trilogy, they went through several lead writers, and the allegations at the time were that Hudson and Waters literally locked themselves into a conference room and rewrote the ending, at the last minute, from their own ideas.

So yes, what the reapers were, what they represented, what their goals and methods were, really did change from game to game. The ending really was rushed in implementation, and had little to nothing to do with the preceeding story.

It doesn't matter what was intended, by the author or anyone else. We can only judge Mass Effect by what it is, not some imagined platonic ideal of what we somehow know it should have been.

However, if we're looking for things to remember, then the thing we should remember with Mass Effect is that the Lead Writer isn't some kind of auteur who designs the whole project, top to bottom. It's a group effort involving many people. The closest to one person having oversight over the entire series, including the art, music, gameplay and writing, is the Project Lead... Casey Hudson.

As it happens, the creator-created organic-synthetic tension dates back to the very earliest drafts of the game, when it was still called "SFX", Shepard was called "Captain Anderson" and the Reapers were the "Nazari". It was specifically added because everyone felt Karpyshyn's first stab at a plot (mosquito-headed Saren and his batarian bat-people steal ancient alien FTL tech) wasn't enough to carry a series.

So no, you're wrong. Have a think next time before you repeat tired old fan conspiracy stories.

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.

Lt. Danger posted:

It doesn't matter what was intended, by the author or anyone else. We can only judge Mass Effect by what it is, not some imagined platonic ideal of what we somehow know it should have been.

However, if we're looking for things to remember, then the thing we should remember with Mass Effect is that the Lead Writer isn't some kind of auteur who designs the whole project, top to bottom. It's a group effort involving many people. The closest to one person having oversight over the entire series, including the art, music, gameplay and writing, is the Project Lead... Casey Hudson.

As it happens, the creator-created organic-synthetic tension dates back to the very earliest drafts of the game, when it was still called "SFX", Shepard was called "Captain Anderson" and the Reapers were the "Nazari". It was specifically added because everyone felt Karpyshyn's first stab at a plot (mosquito-headed Saren and his batarian bat-people steal ancient alien FTL tech) wasn't enough to carry a series.

So no, you're wrong. Have a think next time before you repeat tired old fan conspiracy stories.

The problem is that we ARE judging it by its merits, not the perceived ones.

Mass Effect is a Picasso painting, strange and wonderful with dark deapths... except that it is unfinished and just has a cartoon ninja and an anime baby sketched on one side. Under these crude yet also insulting caricatures are the words "I'm so wasted!".

Trying to make sense of mass effect's nose dive isn't coming up with imagined scenarios. The Reapers control the ultimate weapon and there is a space baby inside it who says impossible things to a dying man. Also a robot indoctrinated guy teleports there, or something, and shoots a gun. Then all the relays burn up most of the universe and maybe in two of three endings the Reapers win. Or indoctrination isn't a thing anymore maybe?

All these things clearly happen. It would be nice to just have some sense to it all.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

I don't see the relevance of your post - or any of your posts in this thread, to be honest.

Honestly happy to answer any questions you might have. I don't really have a response to incoherent ranting though.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
Mass Effect 3: Please Submit You're Post's For Review

anyway this is the snippet from the supposed leak today:

"1: there us a Krogan character in the squad so far called Drake.

2: There is a Synthetic in the squad...it is not a geth

3: A big thing that was a focus of this was showcasing the "no loading times". Apparently there are none. From flying through the "map" to picking a planet to landing with the squad. Problem my friend was made aware that thanks to this approach graphical features were loading after game play begun. He did not care much....but the person making him aware was not happy.

4: Squad AI was better than he remembered from ME3. He pointed out the companions were aggressive and actively using shields when the team was taking damage and whatnit but he made it sound like they were more like the Geth deployable shields from the early ME1. Might have been me interpreting wrong tho. Game play was described as "familiar" and "refined" from ME3."

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Also featuring Urdnot Chad and Urdnot Jayden

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Strategic Tea posted:

Also featuring Urdnot Chad and Urdnot Jayden

I always preferred Urdnot Kendrick tbh

Also the leaked name for the krogan squaddie was Drack so I think that's where they're hearing

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Lt. Danger posted:

Yes exactly. And what it is, is three separate games with inconsistent art and story direction, and a last minute left-field ending bolted on.

I still love it, I've bought and played through it on multiple platforms, but realize that thinking of it as one coherent whole is the imagined platonic ideal here.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Rhjamiz posted:

Is there a mod that just cuts from Shepard and Anderson straight into the Destroy ending? That's probably the best you could do to "fix" it I guess. I looked at that Happy Ending mod out of curiosity and man oh man the amateur voice acting and awkward editing just makes it too cringe-y to watch.

No matter where you stop you'll have still played a bad game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

sassassin posted:

No matter where you stop you'll have still played a bad game.

The same could be said of all your posts of this thread, even as they abruptly switched gears from legitimate caremad to wannabe ironic troll in the final ten pages.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

TheCenturion posted:

Yes exactly. And what it is, is three separate games with inconsistent art and story direction, and a last minute left-field ending bolted on.

I still love it, I've bought and played through it on multiple platforms, but realize that thinking of it as one coherent whole is the imagined platonic ideal here.

Hmm, yes. I suppose that would make sense if you were an idiot who just got schooled in three separate ways.

If only this thread had a really tedious poster who knew all about Mass Effect, including such esoterica as "what a lead writer does" and "basic metaphors for daddy issues"! We could ask him stuff instead of making up dumb poo poo.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Lt. Danger posted:

Hmm, yes. I suppose that would make sense if you were an idiot who just got schooled in three separate ways.

If only this thread had a really tedious poster who knew all about Mass Effect, including such esoterica as "what a lead writer does" and "basic metaphors for daddy issues"! We could ask him stuff instead of making up dumb poo poo.

this thread's EMS score is too low for that

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

exquisite tea posted:

The same could be said of all your posts of this thread, even as they abruptly switched gears from legitimate caremad to wannabe ironic troll in the final ten pages.

My posting has been sincerely caremad from start to finish. But thank you for reading.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
Big ups to the ending of Mass Effect 3 for making people mad on the internet four years running

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
It's not four years yet, but we should definitely have a big party in a couple of weeks

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

2house2fly posted:

It's not four years yet, but we should definitely have a big party in a couple of weeks

Spill some drinks, get loud?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Lt. Danger posted:

yes hello what do you need

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Rhjamiz posted:

Is there a mod that just cuts from Shepard and Anderson straight into the Destroy ending?

Here you go.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Anyone who mods the ending, including using the EC, should be destroyed with high explosive rounds from a grenade launcher.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Alain Post posted:

Anyone who mods the ending, including using the EC, should be destroyed with high explosive rounds from a grenade launcher.

look at this guy who takes the mediocre heavy weapons in ME2

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Lt. Danger posted:

*slides into frame and begins kramering wildly*

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I thought we already decided that Mass Effect 1 was the bad one

RenegadeStyle1 fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Feb 19, 2016

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I thought we already decided that Mass Effect 1 was the bad one

It is.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I like it the most, actually. One of the most satisfying endings to a video game I've played.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
ME2's ending was better. ME2 was better in just about every single way, actually.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Mymla posted:

ME2's ending was better. ME2 was better in just about every single way, actually.

MMmmm.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Just thinking about the pacing of the ME2 suicide mission makes me pumped. What a game.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Mymla posted:

ME2 barely had a story to end. Hell I like threes story better. And it's poo poo. Two is the most fun to play tho.

It's weird how a trilogy of games are all basically standalone as well. Playing the previous ones don't help you understand the others, probably because they each do their own thing and don't give a poo poo about the others.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Feb 19, 2016

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I like it the most, actually. One of the most satisfying endings to a video game I've played.

When I was first playing through the trilogy the ending of Mass Effect was the first time since Perfect Dark where I actually wanted to sit and watch the credits. ME2 I was all "yeah we're ready for you Reapers now" but wasn't nearly as pumped. Then I played ME3 and just kind of sat in disbelief staring at my screen thinking "well, I chose control and I was a Paragon Shep, so I made the right decision...right?" and then there was that stupid stinger at the end.

I will be honest I think one of the main reasons I was so pumped for finishing ME1 was a combination of frustration because load times are loving dour on PS3 and the save system was horrible, meaning that while my final time was like 25 hours or something it was probably more like 50 hours in total because of dying and going back to checkpoints that were almost an entire hour old. The other part of the combination was actual satisfaction because Ilos through to defeating Saren/Sovereign was one of those moments in gaming where I just could not put down my controller until I was done. It had good pacing, good music, relatively good story, the option of saving the council actually felt more thematic than what they tried to do in ME3. That and the final splash of your Shepard looking ready to continue the fight against the Reaper just worked so well with what the final cutscene was building to, and then we cut to the credits.

Despite how playing ME1 is just not fun in comparison to 2 and 3 for some reason I still love it through all its faults

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
See, ME1 supporters are like this: Doop de dooop doop
And ME2 supporters are like this: Deep do deeep duup
And ME3 supporters are like this: Faaaaahrt faaaaaahrt fart.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Mymla posted:

ME2 might be the best game of the last console generation.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Vitamin P posted:

ME2 might be the best game of the last console generation.

I wouldn't go that far, but is was definately the best of the series.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

CharlestheHammer posted:

ME2 barely had a story to end.

What's it like being illiterate?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Combat ME1>2>3
Story ME2>1>3
Fun hangouts with your "friends" ME3>2>1

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
Biotics in ME1 were definitely the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The best place to hang out with friends, IMO, is the Mass Effect 3 thread

• Locked thread