Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

chitoryu12 posted:

I think the kind of person who gets depressed and goes nuts with extravagance until he ends up a broke, fat drug addict probably became that way because of who they are as a person, rather than the money. Like, it shouldn't be that hard to use your money wisely if you're the kind of person who wants to better themselves and help other people. Live in a modest but nice house with pretty decoration (paying for a maid and groundskeepers to keep it clean), have fun without bringing drugs or underage prostitutes into the mix, and if you really can't figure out a constructive way to spend your excess you can donate to charity.

Poor people who have no experience dealing with wealth are not always the fastest learners. When you're used to living hand to mouth and buying that nice thing when you can afford and suddenly find yourself always able to afford it, it's very easy to just buy that thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

People also have an idea as to what you're supposed to do when you win the lottery. You go nuts, you live it up. You don't sit down and seriously plan, you buy 5 sports cars and a mansion on day 1.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Also happiness doesn't correlate that strongly with more money after a certain point - I remember reading that making more than ~70k a year doesn't generally make people much happier, but happiness correlates pretty strongly with income up to 70k.

To quote Kanye, 'Having money isn't everything, not having it is.'

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

chitoryu12 posted:

I think the kind of person who gets depressed and goes nuts with extravagance until he ends up a broke, fat drug addict probably became that way because of who they are as a person, rather than the money. Like, it shouldn't be that hard to use your money wisely if you're the kind of person who wants to better themselves and help other people. Live in a modest but nice house with pretty decoration (paying for a maid and groundskeepers to keep it clean), have fun without bringing drugs or underage prostitutes into the mix, and if you really can't figure out a constructive way to spend your excess you can donate to charity.

Oh no doubt the dude had a rough upbringing-

quote:

Michael Carroll's mother worked in a canning factory and his father was an RAF engineer. When Carroll was 18 months old, his father was jailed in a military prison for 11 years for stabbing a couple after getting into a fight at a dance. His parents separated when he was seven years old; his father died from a heart attack when Carroll was 10. He had several stepfathers, one of whom would lock him in his room for hours after hitting him. Carroll stated he was dyslexic, had ADHD, and was barely literate by the time he finished secondary school.[1]

When Carroll was 13, he received a custodial sentence for shoplifting and was sent to the Hollesley Bay Prison in Suffolk where he reported that he learned to read and write. When Carroll won the Lottery at the age of 19, he was employed part-time as a binman.[1] At the time of his win, Carroll did not have a bank account, and tried opening one at Coutts as recommended by the lottery company. Coutts refused his application, which Carroll later ascribed to his criminal record.[1]

Carroll had a bank account set up with St. James's Place Bank (Division of Halifax at the time)

The Schadenfreude, for me, was all the people getting upset that such a chavvy type could win the lottery (and not THEM)- missing the point that that is the whole point of a lottery. Anyone could win it. And the fact he was so public about the way he was spending it and DNGAF. The guy was god-tier trolling.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Magres posted:

Also happiness doesn't correlate that strongly with more money after a certain point - I remember reading that making more than ~70k a year doesn't generally make people much happier, but happiness correlates pretty strongly with income up to 70k.

To quote Kanye, 'Having money isn't everything, not having it is.'

Once the basics are taken care of; food, water, shelter, clothing the only thing that matters is your relative wealth. $1M a year income feels poor and makes you feel bummed out if everyone else is on $2M despite most people being on $50K or whatever.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
Only the classics tonight.

internet troll Charlie Zelenoff repeatedly threatening current WBC Heavyweight Champion Deontay Wilder for months, even going as far as cluster bombing the N-word in his voicemail messages to threatening to duct tape his disabled daughter's mouth shut. Eventually, Wilder had enough and accepted the challenge. It went well!

Some say he's mentally ill but if he is then he's the type to suckerpunch people on the street to add another W to his "boxing" record. He claims he's 100 - 0 or some poo poo like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lK22F4DGAL8

Yeah, this looked fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4f3vJjvR9c

Remember the Bumblebee. :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcY5eeXqt9E

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
My brother in law is a personal trainer for someone who won the lottery. The funniest part of it is that he actually gets pissed off and competitive when my brother in law demonstrates having better taste in stuff like food and wine, since "how dare this peasant know more than me"? He's also all "bootstrappy" about having won the lottery, which is simply hilarious.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Nitrox posted:

People who wear real gold Rolex watches in public are usually the scummiest motherfuckers you'll have a pleasure of meeting. Ambulance chaser lawyers, used car salesmen, pyramid scheme assholes, "upscale" real estate agents, and other scum. Not sure what this guy's story is, but don't blame us for being immediately suspicious.

I knew a fellow who bought several "Rolex" watches in China on a business trip. They were pot metal, copper coated, zinc junk purchased for a few dollars a piece. They would stain your wrist green from the copper coating. I've seen them and they are terrible fakes.

As he brought them through customs after arriving in NJ from HK, the agent asked him to declare them. The agent said that if they're real, he has to pay an import duty on them. If they are fake, he goes to jail for counterfeiting and trademark infringement.

He chose to pay the duty on drat near $100,000 in watches that weren't worth any more than the recycling value. Possibly less as they're not even good copper and zinc.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

Nitrox posted:

People who wear real gold Rolex watches in public are usually the scummiest motherfuckers you'll have a pleasure of meeting. Ambulance chaser lawyers, used car salesmen, pyramid scheme assholes, "upscale" real estate agents, and other scum. Not sure what this guy's story is, but don't blame us for being immediately suspicious.

I knew a fellow who bought several "Rolex" watches in China on a business trip. They were pot metal, copper coated, zinc junk purchased for a few dollars a piece. They would stain your wrist green from the copper coating. I've seen them and they are terrible fakes.

As he brought them through customs after arriving in NJ from HK, the agent asked him to declare them. The agent said that if they're real, he has to pay an import duty on them. If they are fake, he goes to jail for counterfeiting and trademark infringement.

He chose to pay the duty on drat near $100,000 in watches that weren't worth any more than the recycling value. Possibly less as they're not even good copper and zinc.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

mostlygray posted:

That sounds pretty unlikely. You don't go to jail for being the victim of a crime. Or for trademark infringement, even if you are the one actually doing it and not an unwitting third party.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

That sounds pretty unlikely. You don't go to jail for being the victim of a crime. Or for trademark infringement, even if you are the one actually doing it and not an unwitting third party.

He bought several of them, so the officer probably thought he planned on selling them in the US, which carries a prison sentence.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

nerdz posted:

He bought several of them, so the officer probably thought he planned on selling them in the US, which carries a prison sentence.

I don't think you can go to jail for "maybe thinking about committing a crime in the future" either.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Tiggum posted:

I don't think you can go to jail for "maybe thinking about committing a crime in the future" either.

Have you seen Minority Report??

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

ianmacdo posted:

He also posted about how none of his old workers like him. No poo poo, he sold out the company and gave them basically nothing.

Yeah. Dude took all that Microsoft money and left Sweden without even stopping to consider "hey, maybe these guys I had maintaining and improving my game since I stopped working on it a few years ago, making me and my company loads of money in the timeframe, should get some of this." Not to mention their job security was basically a huge question at the time.

Notch really doesn't deserve pity.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Ah, the classic float like a butterfly, buzz like a bee style of parkour.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

yeah i don't exactly know US customs laws enough, but one thing I know is that agents usually don't feel constrained by things like "having a probable cause for apprehending goods" or "speaking the truth about customs laws". while it might not be true that the dude could get arrested, I don't doubt for a second that the agent would say it anyway. Usually going all sovcit on these guys (or even professing knowledge about your rights) is bad news.

My schadenfreude stories are about getting owned by these dudes without having a chance to do anything about it. One time at the immigration booths this fat, lazy eyed old man power tripped on me pretty drat hard going so far as to say "I'm the law here!". Another time I got held for questioning on those random lotteries and had to wait for hours and then questioned by a dude that repeated the same series of questions multiple times to see if I would keep my story straight. he also got my money I was bringing with me (the limit you could lawfully take) and going all "this sure is a lot of money, I could confiscate this easily".

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Tiggum posted:

We're talking about the TSA. To minimise the chances of a derail I'll leave it at that.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

AlphaKretin posted:

We're talking about the TSA. To minimise the chances of a derail I'll leave it at that.

it's border patrol and customs for overseas stuff, though. surprisingly enough I was always treated pretty well by TSA staff.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
It's all DHS customs does work all over the USA because they get interstate stuff too.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Chromatic posted:

Only the classics tonight.

internet troll Charlie Zelenoff repeatedly threatening current WBC Heavyweight Champion Deontay Wilder for months, even going as far as cluster bombing the N-word in his voicemail messages to threatening to duct tape his disabled daughter's mouth shut. Eventually, Wilder had enough and accepted the challenge. It went well!

Some say he's mentally ill but if he is then he's the type to suckerpunch people on the street to add another W to his "boxing" record. He claims he's 100 - 0 or some poo poo like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lK22F4DGAL8

Actual record: 0-1.
He was disqualified in his only fight for repeatedly spitting out his mouthpiece, because he's scared of being hit.

The 'fight'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Wc_9_fjjnw

All the videos on youtube are of him being beaten up by various people who he's challenged.
Definitely delusional.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Boxing schadenfreude?
http://i.imgur.com/QlAwObw.gifv

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
A pro esport player said mean stuff to another pro esport player. The schadenfreude is his employer now fines him one month's worth of salary and is forcing him to attend a anti-bullying class.

http://cloud9.gg/news/freakazoid-apology

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Skaw posted:

Yeah. Dude took all that Microsoft money and left Sweden without even stopping to consider "hey, maybe these guys I had maintaining and improving my game since I stopped working on it a few years ago, making me and my company loads of money in the timeframe, should get some of this." Not to mention their job security was basically a huge question at the time.

I understood that the Mojang employees all got a piece of the acquisition proceeds, since they all had equity. Is that not the case?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

I understood that the Mojang employees all got a piece of the acquisition proceeds, since they all had equity. Is that not the case?
No, none of them did.
According to a book someone wrote about Minecraft, Microsoft apparently did make an offer to all Mojang employees promising them a bonus of 300.000 dollars if they stayed for at least 6 months after the sale.
That may not be enough to buy a fancy mansion in Beverly Hills, but it still sounds like a okay deal to me.

Raygereio has a new favorite as of 13:07 on Feb 19, 2016

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Kid find's mum's wobbly sausage :nws:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vj2uR5Gf2SE

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 14:14 on Feb 19, 2016

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

A psychiatrist 30 years in the future has just bought a boat.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

spog posted:

A psychiatrist 30 years in the future has just bought a boat.

If that boat is called anything besides "Starboardly Sausage" then that psychiatrist is an idiot.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

I will never understand the false confidence that people like this have. That kid might be 110 pounds soaking wet and he's acting like he's the greatest boxer of all time. Hell, from the looks of the trunks, he can't be more than about 4'9".

On the subject of lotto winners, don't forget that the vast majority of people who buy lotto tickets are the people that are terrible with money already. There's a reason the lottery is called a tax on the stupid.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

This is what I always wanted to happen to Naseem Hamed when he would be an arrogant rear end in a top hat in the ring. Unfortunately it never did :(

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

Tiggum posted:

It was a scare tactic. He panicked. He had purchased enough of them that they could get him for intention to deal in false goods and trademark infringement. I used to have to fight with customs all the time on imports when I was in distribution. Trademark is something they are obsessed with. I sometimes had to get letters from Microsoft saying that it was OK to say it was "Windows compatible" in the manual.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

veedubfreak posted:

On the subject of lotto winners, don't forget that the vast majority of people who buy lotto tickets are the people that are terrible with money already. There's a reason the lottery is called a tax on the stupid.

Jack Whittaker's story on his lottery win and the destruction that it caused is a real sad tale, true schadenfreude for us all.
http://www.bloomberg.com/bw/articles/2012-12-13/lottery-winner-jack-whittakers-losing-ticket

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Can somebody please remove the monster of a carpet that is tormenting this cat in his safe environment:

Spectral Debt
Jan 23, 2004
9999 sucka

Foxhound posted:

A pro esport player said mean stuff to another pro esport player. The schadenfreude is his employer now fines him one month's worth of salary and is forcing him to attend a anti-bullying class.

http://cloud9.gg/news/freakazoid-apology

drat, what he say to him?

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Spectral Debt posted:

Probably something pretty bad. There's one guy who's famous in the scene for being one of the best players but an absolute shithead. It took him posting nudes of his underage internet girlfriend for the team to finally drop him.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Spectral Debt posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhsFmwu9Pso

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

Spectral Debt posted:

Toxicity in esports is something that companies like Valve and Riot take pretty seriously, because if you can't log into a game without a thirteen year old calling you a loving human being constantly, you're not going to play the game and if you don't play the game, then Valve and Riot don't make any money. It's easy to ban the 13 year old for being an abusive prick, but now you have a situation where you have high profile, extremely visible players playing the game in what is essentially a massive advertising campaign for the game, right? And if the 13 year old sees this pro player saying something nasty to another pro player and nothing happens, then he's going to start making a bunch of noise about how "Well, why did I get banned when these guys can say what they want, and nothing happens?"

It's not a big deal when it's only one 13 year old, but there's a lot of assholes and there's a lot of assholes playing games like CS:GO or League or DOTA or whatever. It's way easier (and, honestly, probably better for the health of the game) to just crack down on pro players being dicks than it is to set up some weird double standard where you ban the abusive child who plays after school, but have some hidden (or non-existent) punishment for the abusive child who plays professionally.

Also, you have to consider that yeah, a lot of the esports players who are on teams like this are pretty young, think under twenty. They're teenagers, they're going to do teenage poo poo, and sometimes teenagers need to get grounded. You can't take away their video game privileges because that's tantamount to firing them, but suspending their allowance for a few weeks and making them go to an anti-bullying seminar seems like a pretty reasonable punishment for a teenager.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Jack Whittaker's story on his lottery win and the destruction that it caused is a real sad tale, true schadenfreude for us all.
http://www.bloomberg.com/bw/articles/2012-12-13/lottery-winner-jack-whittakers-losing-ticket

Jesus Christ. :(

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Jesus Christ. :(

To think, the best part of that morning for him actually turned out to be his bacon stuffed biscuits.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Solice Kirsk posted:

To think, the best part of that morning for him actually turned out to be his bacon stuffed biscuits.

If a bacon-stuffed biscuit wouldn't be the best part of your morning, you're a rare and blessed individual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Phanatic posted:

If a bacon-stuffed biscuit wouldn't be the best part of your morning, you're a rare and blessed individual.

Only if I have a plate of corned beef hash too.