Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Love Live

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

-Troika- posted:

Someone recommend me a kickass action anime that doesn't have any lovely moe or fanservice in it

Attack on Titan. The anime has its issues with pacing and Studio Wit's usual production quality collapse around the episode 8-12 mark, but it's not remotely moe or fanservicey, and has a great premise for action (steampunk Spider-Man child soldiers versus flesh-eating giants) that it delivers on very impressively.

There's also Garo: Honoo no Kokuin, which may be pushing your boundaries on the 'no moe, no fanservice' thing a bit, and has a somewhat unpromising first episode (particularly given that second criterion), but soon develops into good, clean :black101: fun.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Feb 17, 2016

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

-Troika- posted:

Someone recommend me a kickass action anime that doesn't have any lovely moe or fanservice in it

-Troika- posted:

Seen it, and enjoyed it.
Post what you've seen already.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

-Troika- posted:

Kyou Kara Ore Wa if you want some laughs with delinquent action

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

-Troika- posted:

Have you seen Sword of the Stranger?

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

K-On!!

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

that might be too action packed

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Bad Seafood posted:

Post what you've seen already.

Oh jesus that's going to be a lot of stuff. Not even sure I can remember it all.

-Anything Gundam ever
-Hellsing Ultimate
-Mostly everything US Manga released over here in the 90s
-All 3 Armitage III movies
-All of the Bakemonogatari-related stuff
-Berserk
-Black Lagoon
-Blue Gender
-Casshern (the classic one not the new one)
-Venus Wars
-Evangelion (old and new)
-All of Code Geass, including the Akito stuff
-Cowboy Bebop + movie
-All of the Jojo stuff that came out recently
-Zegapain
-Both Eureka 7 shows and the movie
-All of the recent FSN stuff (did not watch any of the older series/movies, just F/Z and UBW)
-Everything FMP related
-Both Full Metal Alchemist series
-Gatchaman (classic and Insight)
-Everything GiTS related
-Gun x Sword
-Gunsmith Cats
-Haibane Renmei
-Jin-Ro The Wolf Brigade
-Utena series + movie
-Dancouga Nova
-Kurogane no Linebarrels
-Last Exile
-Macross (and it's assorted sequels)
-Madoka
-Needless
-Strawberry Panic
-Pretty much everything Miyazaki released
-P4A and P4G
-Panty & Stocking w/Garterbelt
-Pumpkin Scissors
-Redline
-Scrapped Princess
-The two older Aquarion shows
-All of Gurren Lagann
-Summer Wars
-Big O
-Tiger & Bunny
-Trinity Blood
-TOKKO
-Tekkaman Blade
-Vandread
-Witch Hunter Robin
-Most DBZ related stuff
-Rokka Braves of the Six Flowers
-Gangsta
-Sword of the Stranger

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

-Troika- posted:

Oh jesus that's going to be a lot of stuff. Not even sure I can remember it all.

Surprised you haven't seen One Punch Man.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
casshern sins
digimon: our war game
one piece: the island of baron omatsuri
samurai champloo
kemonozume
jojo's bizarre adventure the ova (mostly episodes 5&6)
one-punch man

symphogear is a show full of absolutely loving hilariously amazingly over-the-top, legitimately good and fun action stuff but most of it comes in after the first four episodes and it doesn't quite pass the "no moe or fanservice" qualification. i still recommend it though because even if you don't like those first four episodes, immediately after episode 4 it becomes this upward spiral of insane plot developments and explosive chaos and the second season of the show has one of the greatest villains of all time

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

The Colonel posted:

symphogear is a show full of absolutely loving hilariously amazingly over-the-top, legitimately good and fun action stuff but most of it comes in after the first four episodes and it doesn't quite pass the "no moe or fanservice" qualification

I remember a fair deal of nudity after the first four episodes too.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Fate/Zero may be up your street, too. Bunch of sociopathic wizards summon various historical figures and duke it out for unlimited magical power. Closest thing to a moe character is the schlubby university dropout who spends most of his time getting bullied by Alexander the Great, and the fight scenes are remarkable. Do bear in mind that other shows in the same setting (like the recent Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works) are probably going to be significantly less your thing - Fate/Zero is a prequel written by a guest author with a markedly different vibe from the main franchise.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Giant Robo

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Strange Quark posted:

Surprised you haven't seen One Punch Man.

I have, I just forgot to put it on there. And Giant Robo's a good rec, I have somehow not seen that yet.

e: I have also seen Shin Mazinger, and yes Fate Zero is listed already up there.

ugh its Troika fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Feb 17, 2016

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
along with giant robo, watch mobile fighter g gundam and shin mazinger shougeki z-hen

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Giant Robo is my favorite anime.

Please watch it.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Watch the Jojo's and the Hunter X Hunter

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Ghost in the Shell stand alone complex has fantastic action scenes and fantastic everything else

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

There's Baccano, to make you realize how much you need 1930s East Coast accents in your life.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

golgo 13

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I know The Professional is extremely good, but how is the 2008 tv series?

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

it's not as good as the movie but it's very entertaining and well done. i would say the only real downside to it is that it's extremely episodic, almost to the point that one could watch the episodes out of broadcast order and it wouldn't matter at all. it's also (obviously) a bit methodical and deliberate - it mostly just follows duke around from job to job. its great if you just want to watch a badass be suitably badass for 25 minutes at a time.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
Planetes: If you like hard science fiction in space you'll love it. The show is about people who collect dangerous debris orbiting earth at insane speeds. JAXA (Japanese NASA) served as consultants for the series and although it sounds like it's really dense, it's not. It's a story about the crew and how they manage to keep their ramshackle underfunded (but vital) department afloat; but the scope of the near possible world they live in is large covering problems that aren't going to be problems for at least 75-100 years from now. It's downbeat and cynical at times, but it's worth checking out.

Butt Ghost posted:

I think the novels are straight-up titled "DRRR!!"

Oh speaking of which, I recommend the works of Junji Ito. It's like Tales From the Crypt, but in Japan.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

You should watch all of one piece

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah! E,xept read it because the anime is terrible, there's a color version available now on kissmanga

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
watch the one movie and the episode that mamoru hosoda directed cause they're extremely good

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I blazed through all of what's out of Grimgar last night because I really like it. What are some other good action slice of life type animes?

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

ninjewtsu posted:

I blazed through all of what's out of Grimgar last night because I really like it. What are some other good action slice of life type animes?

It's a bit unique, I've never really seen anything else mix the chill SoL with the fantasy/action quite like it. For good fantasy action with enjoyable characters, maybe try Chaika if you haven't seen it?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You could try Konosuba, Grimgar's equal-yet-opposite this season.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Ive already seen chaika, and I really liked it!

I started watching konosuba earlier today, the first episode was ok. I'm gonna give it another episode or two later probably.

Maybe some kind of fantasy themed slice of life then? I just really like the idea of watching a slice of life in a setting that would normally lend itself to being about some grand adventure. Danmachi scratched a similar itch for me, if that helps with what kind of anime I'm looking for

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

I started watching konosuba earlier today, the first episode was ok. I'm gonna give it another episode or two later probably.

Maybe some kind of fantasy themed slice of life then? I just really like the idea of watching a slice of life in a setting that would normally lend itself to being about some grand adventure. Danmachi scratched a similar itch for me, if that helps with what kind of anime I'm looking for

Log Horizon is a different beast to Grimgar in many ways, but they do have very similar 'trying to create a life for ourselves in a suspiciously game-like world' feels. Might be worth a shot.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

If you want fantasy sol can't go wrong with Aria, the main character is a gondolier on the terraformed Mars canals and is incredibly chill. I think there about three TV series, the earliest from like 2005

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

ninjewtsu posted:

Read Dungeon Meshi

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Gave log horizon a few episodes, I'm enjoying it so far. I appreciate that it's exploring the trapped in an mmo deal without the whole "if you die in the game you die in real life" garbage. It's nice to see some focus being put on how actually being trapped in a video game wouldn't be all that dangerous - the threat of other players getting bored is the biggest threat immediately presented.

Sakurazuka posted:

If you want fantasy sol can't go wrong with Aria, the main character is a gondolier on the terraformed Mars canals and is incredibly chill. I think there about three TV series, the earliest from like 2005

This sounds neat, I'll give it a shot next

Chas McGill posted:

Read Dungeon Meshi

Unfortunately I'm too adhd to really enjoy reading much

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
then take some ritalin and read dungeon meshi

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

ninjewtsu posted:

Seirei no Moribito: Guardians of the Sacred Spirit

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Is Shakugan no Shana any good? I was looking for something to pick up on the PS store (P.S Let me know if this is a terrible idea) and it caught my eye as a name I'd seen before, and the description sounds like it could go either way.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

Is Shakugan no Shana any good? I was looking for something to pick up on the PS store (P.S Let me know if this is a terrible idea) and it caught my eye as a name I'd seen before, and the description sounds like it could go either way.

It's been a while since i've seen it, but i remember thinking it was pretty cool but then it drags its feet for way too long

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
It's not amazing but it wasn't terrible either. I feel like I was supposed to dislike it but I think that's residual old adtrw hatred for shows involving kugimiya rie voicing a tsundere female lead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Actually, I think I'll pick up Moribito instead. Just saw that in the lineup, and I've been meaning to get around to that one for a while.