Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Free Crikey, get it while it's hot posted:

The ABC has said no ABC journalists have entered Nauru on tourist visas, in contrast to claims made by the government of Nauru.

:tinfoil: time; it was an LNP plant to make the ABC look bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Probably a freelancer who has done work for ABC, not a staff journo.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Maybe they are just a scapegoat and the Nauruan government was looking for the flimsiest excuse to do something which makes them appear stronger.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Well they have to say something, given they don't actually have any new policies to counter it with.

Further to the :tinfoil: I just got screened by market research on voting intentions at Fed/State level in Bendigo. I'd say there's decisions being made. Dumb ones, probably.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...219-gmyq2k.html

I mean, isnt that half the point of removing negative gearing?

Gorfob
Feb 10, 2007
Hi.

Is our country any less poo poo yet? I've been too busy to give a gently caress and trying to avoid getting stabbed by dementia patients.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Gorfob posted:

Hi.

Is our country any less poo poo yet? I've been too busy to give a gently caress and trying to avoid getting stabbed by dementia patients.

We're constitutionally required to change the country name when it becomes less poo poo. Tim Minchin did a nice song though.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Birb Katter posted:

We're constitutionally required to change the country name when it becomes less poo poo. Tim Minchin did a nice song though.

Shitstralia honestly isn't that bad a banner to labour under.

And by labour I mean rent seek and transfer money from poor to rich.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin
Fun insider knowledge: we did a donation email after the drug reform stuff and we got so many donations so quickly that our server packed it in for a little while

Basically bring on a DD, we'll be ready, Jim eat Ablo

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
So...it's on?

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Comstar posted:

So...it's on?

Nah, I think they're going to wait and see how well they hammer ALP over this negative gearing poo poo before coming close to making a decision. If they're getting flogged then why would they call rather than back out and make a new plan (because they're idiots).

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Pretty derivative of this piece imo.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Gorfob posted:

I've been too busy to give a gently caress and trying to avoid getting stabbed by dementia patients.

This is an accurate metaphor for the Australian government and general public.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

drat it, Beavis.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Is that supposed to be an Abbott/Shorten hybrid because it's not bad if so, just late.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/theage/status/700618112593326080

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

quote:

The Prime Minister said the Labor policy would effectively remove all would-be investors in existing properties from the market, leaving only people looking to buy a family home.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

It would be a horrible world if the people could afford to buy a home in a location that gave them the necessary access to the infrastructure, services, jobs and social networks required to achieve to their desired standard of living. Just think of the carnage it would cause to the rental market!

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Cardinal George Pell is the victim of one of the most vicious witch hunts to disgrace this country. It is shameful. Disgusting. Frightening.

People pretending to be moral have competed with each other to slime Pell as the defender of paedophiles, if not a paedophile himself.

There is no mercy and no attention to the facts. There is just the joy of hatred. Check the snarling glee on the face of comedian Tim Minchin as he sang a hymn of hatred to Pell on Channel 10’s The Project on Tuesday.

“Scum,” he called Pell, who is too ill to fly from Rome to give evidence (for the third time) to our royal commission into child sex abuse.

“Coward,” he jeered, vilifying Pell for more than four minutes of prime-time television, falsely portraying him as a defender — even a friend — of paedophile priests.

(Note to Project host Waleed Aly: would you have screened four minutes of unbridled hatred for a Muslim cleric?)

Meanwhile, the ABC promoted a crowd-funding effort by Project presenters to raise the money to send former victims to Rome to “confront” the cardinal with “face-to-face contact”.

To stoke up hatred of Pell, it also published a mocked-up picture of the cardinal driving a car of huge rock-spiders, code for paedophiles.

ABC News also falsely claimed “the commission has heard from child abuse victim David Ridsdale that Cardinal Pell tried to bribe him to keep quiet” about his abuse by his uncle — when Ridsdale in fact told the commission, “I never have said that he bribed me”.

And many media outlets sternly reported Pell wouldn’t “face the victims” in person at the royal commission, without adding he’d faced victims repeatedly.

Pell has met victims privately and twice given evidence with victims present — to the royal commission and a Victorian inquiry into child sex abuse.

Indeed, in 1996 he became the first senior person here, in church or in government, to confront the horror of sexual abuse of children.

Only three months after becoming archbishop of Melbourne, he created the Melbourne Response to help victims. No bishop of any other church had done anything like it.

Yet no insult of this man has been enough in a campaign of public denigration, even dehumanisation.

Channel 9’s 60 Minutes interviewed an English abuse victim who’d never met Pell and seemed uninformed on crucial details yet still felt free to defame him as “a dangerous individual” and “almost sociopathic” with a “catalogue of denigrating people”.

I know Pell. “Sociopathic” is a lie.

But this is the mob at its most vile: each person feeling licensed by the brutality of the rest to be brutal, too.

If “everybody else” hates someone, then that person must deserve hating. You can surrender your own judgment and conscience and give in to the pure pleasure of unbridled hatred, disguised as moral righteousness.

Viciousness dressed as morality: is there anything sweeter to the stupid, the resentful and the bully? Ask the “godly” who murdered the “witches” of Salem. Ask the jihadists who now behead “infidels”. Pell’s accusers are not violent but flirt with that same pitiless sanctimony.

“Die Pell,” urged a headline on The Age’s Facebook page and many of those now demanding he fly here don’t seem to mind if he does.

The Sydney Morning Herald published snide items urging Pell to get on a plane, despite being told by cardiologists that Pell’s medical advisers were right — it could kill the 74-year-old, given his heart problems.

No mercy in The Age, though. “Unwilling to trust his God,” sneered one headline.

Former NSW Labor premier Kristina Keneally even taunted: “Jesus said there is no greater love than to lay down your life for another.”

Nor did anyone seem to care that Pell will give exactly the same evidence from Rome he would give if he flew here. He is not fleeing justice like, say, Julian Assange, the hero of this same Left.

No, the mob is just hungry for a scapegoat and wants Pell close enough to humiliate.

It’s the primitive moral calculus of the tribalist: that an injustice to one side can be made good with an injustice to the other.

It’s enough that Pell is now our most senior member of the Catholic Church, which once betrayed so many children.

But what makes him an even better target for the Left is that’s he’s a conservative who has defended traditional marriage, attacked global warming alarmism and correctly seen the green faith as a competitor to his own.

He’ll do, they cry.

How Pell has, as a human being, survived their onslaught astonishes me. Worst of all, he was falsely accused of having himself abused a boy when a young priest, although an inquiry that later looked into this highly dubious claim found no proof of any such thing.

It’s continued. A former child victim of one Ballarat priest claimed in the royal commission that in 1969 Pell heard him pleading for help but did nothing — only for Pell to later produce his passport, showing he’d been in Rome that year.

But people such as Minchin still claim the young Pell must have known his then Ballarat housemate and fellow priest, Gerald Ridsdale, was abusing children — an allegation Pell denies. Yet none question the word of another young priest who shared a house with Ridsdale, Paul Bongiorno, a Leftist and now ABC commentator, who says he had no idea, either. “Ridsdale never came to the presbytery in Warrnambool and said, ‘Guess how many boys I’ve raped today?’,” Bongiorno said. “They hide it.”

And they hid it from Pell, who has repeatedly denied on oath protecting paedophiles or keeping crimes hidden.

Neither of the two inquiries so far has yet found proof that he’s lying. Even Gerald Ridsdale, the worst of the paedophile priests, failed to incriminate Pell in the royal commission last year.

His evidence, suggesting Pell knew nothing, seemed to anger the royal commission. Justice Peter McClellan even warned Ridsdale the commission could find out who visited him in jail before he’d given evidence, which seemed to suggest McClellan had expected more damning stuff from Ridsdale and suspected he’d been nobbled.

In fact, the royal commission has throughout seemed only too ready to doubt Pell’s word whenever his recollection conflicted with his accusers’.

It has also asked Pell to give evidence three times in what is now becoming a punishment by process.

Pell knows his church betrayed many children and protected the priests who preyed on them. He knows he could have handled the scandal better, but nothing I’ve seen so far shows he protected paedophiles.

Nothing.

If that changes, I will drat him then, but right now there is proof of only this: a witch hunt to destroy an innocent man for the sins of others.

Shame on every coward who joins this vicious mob. You claim you stand for good, yet you show such gloating evil.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
MEANWHILE

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Lid posted:

Cardinal George Pell is the victim of one of the most vicious witch hunts to disgrace this country. It is shameful. Disgusting. Frightening.

People pretending to be moral have competed with each other to slime Pell as the defender of paedophiles, if not a paedophile himself.

There is no mercy and no attention to the facts. There is just the joy of hatred. Check the snarling glee on the face of comedian Tim Minchin as he sang a hymn of hatred to Pell on Channel 10’s The Project on Tuesday.

“Scum,” he called Pell, who is too ill to fly from Rome to give evidence (for the third time) to our royal commission into child sex abuse.

“Coward,” he jeered, vilifying Pell for more than four minutes of prime-time television, falsely portraying him as a defender — even a friend — of paedophile priests.

(Note to Project host Waleed Aly: would you have screened four minutes of unbridled hatred for a Muslim cleric?)

Meanwhile, the ABC promoted a crowd-funding effort by Project presenters to raise the money to send former victims to Rome to “confront” the cardinal with “face-to-face contact”.

To stoke up hatred of Pell, it also published a mocked-up picture of the cardinal driving a car of huge rock-spiders, code for paedophiles.

ABC News also falsely claimed “the commission has heard from child abuse victim David Ridsdale that Cardinal Pell tried to bribe him to keep quiet” about his abuse by his uncle — when Ridsdale in fact told the commission, “I never have said that he bribed me”.

And many media outlets sternly reported Pell wouldn’t “face the victims” in person at the royal commission, without adding he’d faced victims repeatedly.

Pell has met victims privately and twice given evidence with victims present — to the royal commission and a Victorian inquiry into child sex abuse.

Indeed, in 1996 he became the first senior person here, in church or in government, to confront the horror of sexual abuse of children.

Only three months after becoming archbishop of Melbourne, he created the Melbourne Response to help victims. No bishop of any other church had done anything like it.

Yet no insult of this man has been enough in a campaign of public denigration, even dehumanisation.

Channel 9’s 60 Minutes interviewed an English abuse victim who’d never met Pell and seemed uninformed on crucial details yet still felt free to defame him as “a dangerous individual” and “almost sociopathic” with a “catalogue of denigrating people”.

I know Pell. “Sociopathic” is a lie.

But this is the mob at its most vile: each person feeling licensed by the brutality of the rest to be brutal, too.

If “everybody else” hates someone, then that person must deserve hating. You can surrender your own judgment and conscience and give in to the pure pleasure of unbridled hatred, disguised as moral righteousness.

Viciousness dressed as morality: is there anything sweeter to the stupid, the resentful and the bully? Ask the “godly” who murdered the “witches” of Salem. Ask the jihadists who now behead “infidels”. Pell’s accusers are not violent but flirt with that same pitiless sanctimony.

“Die Pell,” urged a headline on The Age’s Facebook page and many of those now demanding he fly here don’t seem to mind if he does.

The Sydney Morning Herald published snide items urging Pell to get on a plane, despite being told by cardiologists that Pell’s medical advisers were right — it could kill the 74-year-old, given his heart problems.

No mercy in The Age, though. “Unwilling to trust his God,” sneered one headline.

Former NSW Labor premier Kristina Keneally even taunted: “Jesus said there is no greater love than to lay down your life for another.”

Nor did anyone seem to care that Pell will give exactly the same evidence from Rome he would give if he flew here. He is not fleeing justice like, say, Julian Assange, the hero of this same Left.

No, the mob is just hungry for a scapegoat and wants Pell close enough to humiliate.

It’s the primitive moral calculus of the tribalist: that an injustice to one side can be made good with an injustice to the other.

It’s enough that Pell is now our most senior member of the Catholic Church, which once betrayed so many children.

But what makes him an even better target for the Left is that’s he’s a conservative who has defended traditional marriage, attacked global warming alarmism and correctly seen the green faith as a competitor to his own.

He’ll do, they cry.

How Pell has, as a human being, survived their onslaught astonishes me. Worst of all, he was falsely accused of having himself abused a boy when a young priest, although an inquiry that later looked into this highly dubious claim found no proof of any such thing.

It’s continued. A former child victim of one Ballarat priest claimed in the royal commission that in 1969 Pell heard him pleading for help but did nothing — only for Pell to later produce his passport, showing he’d been in Rome that year.

But people such as Minchin still claim the young Pell must have known his then Ballarat housemate and fellow priest, Gerald Ridsdale, was abusing children — an allegation Pell denies. Yet none question the word of another young priest who shared a house with Ridsdale, Paul Bongiorno, a Leftist and now ABC commentator, who says he had no idea, either. “Ridsdale never came to the presbytery in Warrnambool and said, ‘Guess how many boys I’ve raped today?’,” Bongiorno said. “They hide it.”

And they hid it from Pell, who has repeatedly denied on oath protecting paedophiles or keeping crimes hidden.

Neither of the two inquiries so far has yet found proof that he’s lying. Even Gerald Ridsdale, the worst of the paedophile priests, failed to incriminate Pell in the royal commission last year.

His evidence, suggesting Pell knew nothing, seemed to anger the royal commission. Justice Peter McClellan even warned Ridsdale the commission could find out who visited him in jail before he’d given evidence, which seemed to suggest McClellan had expected more damning stuff from Ridsdale and suspected he’d been nobbled.

In fact, the royal commission has throughout seemed only too ready to doubt Pell’s word whenever his recollection conflicted with his accusers’.

It has also asked Pell to give evidence three times in what is now becoming a punishment by process.

Pell knows his church betrayed many children and protected the priests who preyed on them. He knows he could have handled the scandal better, but nothing I’ve seen so far shows he protected paedophiles.

Nothing.

If that changes, I will drat him then, but right now there is proof of only this: a witch hunt to destroy an innocent man for the sins of others.

Shame on every coward who joins this vicious mob. You claim you stand for good, yet you show such gloating evil.

This is perfectly timed given the Huns cover tomorrow

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Solemn Sloth posted:

This is perfectly timed given the Huns cover tomorrow

Its in the same paper

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Lid posted:

MEANWHILE

:master:

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Lid posted:

Its in the same paper

Ahahahahahahahahahaha

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Lid posted:

Its in the same paper

Yeah, I assumed it was Bolt frothing up?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Oh dear, what will this do to church going attendance at Ballarat

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Solemn Sloth posted:

Yeah, I assumed it was Bolt frothing up?

Who else would note their friendship with Pell as proof of their piety?

Also in a blog post they lambasted the pope for telling Donald Trump that building a wall between America and Mexico was un-Christian. So in the order of holiness the Pope is below Pell who is slightly above Donald Trump on the Bolt scale of Christianity.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

The pope should stay out of politics.

Now let me tell you all about my good friends the ACL and their defence of traditional marriage.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Lid posted:

Who else would note their friendship with Pell as proof of their piety?

Also in a blog post they lambasted the pope for telling Donald Trump that building a wall between America and Mexico was un-Christian. So in the order of holiness the Pope is below Pell who is slightly above Donald Trump on the Bolt scale of Christianity.

It's truly bizarre what some people consider to be Christian morals these days.

I'm sure Jesus would be all about the wall. I mean, he was all about telling everyone that Samaritans were foreign scum come to steal are jobs oi oi oi

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Endman posted:

It's truly bizarre what some people consider to be Christian morals these days.

I'm sure Jesus would be all about the wall. I mean, he was all about telling everyone that Samaritans were foreign scum come to steal are jobs oi oi oi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rywVlfTtlMY

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

I feel like if the Hun editors really wanted to make it clear to Andrew how much of a twerp he is, they should have stuck a "My Friend Pell - Andrew Bolt" subhead in one of the slots at the bottom.

What to me is really funny is that Andrew bolt isn't even a Christian, he just pals up with them to annoy leftists.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

*writes furious screed in defence of pedophiles*

This'll really poo poo those latte sippers!!!

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Lid posted:

Cardinal George Pell is the victim of one of the most vicious witch hunts to disgrace this country. It is shameful. Disgusting. Frightening... ...

- by Andrew "loving" Bolt

But seriously, does anybody think anything could possibly affect Sydney prices? If the national market collapsed, wouldn't there be a flood of people trying to take advantage of rock-bottom prices in their poo poo-hole towns and move to Sydney? And wouldn't that actually be even worse for Sydney's cultural scene than the lock-out laws?

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

xPanda posted:

Oh great, the statin woman on catalyst is trying to even further destroy her and the show's credibility with wifi cancer claims.

Fairly sure her claims on statins have been validated though

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Solemn Sloth posted:

*writes furious screed in defence of pedophiles*

This'll really poo poo those latte sippers!!!

Im Herald Sun columnist Andrew Bolt. I first started writing when I was about 12. By 14 i got really obsessed with the concept of "irony" and tried to channel it constantly, until my thought process got really bizarre and i would repeat things like "I'm friends with Cardinal Pell" and "I know Pell. Sociopathic is a lie" in my head for hours, and i would get really paranoid, start seeing things in the corners of my eyes etc, basically prodromal schizophrenia.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

BlitzkriegOfColour posted:

- by Andrew "loving" Bolt

But seriously, does anybody think anything could possibly affect Sydney prices? If the national market collapsed, wouldn't there be a flood of people trying to take advantage of rock-bottom prices in their poo poo-hole towns and move to Sydney? And wouldn't that actually be even worse for Sydney's cultural scene than the lock-out laws?

Nah.

DAAS Kapitalist
Nov 9, 2005

Jackass: The Mad Monk

Don't try this at home.

Solemn Sloth posted:

What to me is really funny is that Andrew bolt isn't even a Christian

Neither is George Pell.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
that's where the song from Cartoon really fell down, calling on Pell et al to honor their christian morals etc.

There is no way those at the op of that organisation believe a word of what they preach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

DAAS Kapitalist posted:

Neither is George Pell.

Bolt doesn't even pretend, he's an out atheist.

• Locked thread