Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

bunnielab posted:

The first one I caught took me a moment to make myself grab it to dehook. They feel worse then they look.

The crushing teeth plates tickle on guys under 20lbs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
I braved our loving bipolar weather yesterday and went out for a fish. Didn't catch anything spectacular but got some silver trevally and leatherjackets to use as bait next time I get out. One minute it was pissing down rain, next it was clear enough to sight cast at fish in 3m of water, shortly after that I was racing to get in as a thunderstorm rolled in, before the whole place glassed out in the late afternoon. Some dolphins came and checked out one of the bays I was fishing in which was cool. Got a couple of small gummy sharks in the evening.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Looks awesome! Whereabouts is that? I love seeing people's local fish spots all over the world from their perspective. What camera are you using for those shots? I'm looking for a waterproof camera to film my fishing trips on the SUP. I'm thinking GoPro at this point but just started researching.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
That was in Westernport Bay, about an hour and a half out of Melbourne. The dolphins and crap weather were at Coronet bay, the gummies and nice weather were at Tenby Point, 5km away as the crow flies. I'm just using the camera in my Sony Experia. That phone is allegedly water proof but I'm still pretty careful with it. It does take pretty good pictures though. I imagine if you wanted to blow them up into poster sizes you'd want a better camera but for my purposes a phone is fine.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

This is where I went today, fly fishing for the second time.. What you aren't seeing is the little rainbow trout I caught, who wiggled hilariously out of my hands after spitting the hook out, bouncing off the rock and back into the stream.

It's really neat how hard he fought and how big a fish like that feels on ultralight fly tackle. I'll definitely be going back. The good thing about small stream fly fishing is that you don't have to do a ton of effort to get the fly out there. I'm getting the hang of it!

It was so shallow, one could see the trout in the water. They're smart fish - they make careful decisions before striking (or not)!

Where I went is close to Camp David, some heavy hitters used to fish there back in the day:

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Cold water fishing is the best fishing.

Also, on a 5' 3# rod, a small 8" rainbow feels like 3 pounds. It's awesome.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
Hey folks need some help here: I'm trying to get some line lures and leaders for northern pike fishing.

What weight line and leaders should i get? I think i saw somewhere a ratio for the weight of a leader to a weight of line.

Lastly what type of lures / baits have been effective for you? Or do you roll live bait?

Thanks

Edit: this is an xmas gift not for me. But i do trout fish.

Marshmallow Blue fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Nov 13, 2015

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Marshmallow Blue posted:

Hey folks need some help here: I'm trying to get some line lures and leaders for northern pike fishing.

What weight line and leaders should i get? I think i saw somewhere a ratio for the weight of a leader to a weight of line.

Lastly what type of lures / baits have been effective for you? Or do you roll live bait?

Thanks

Edit: this is an xmas gift not for me. But i do trout fish.

My favorite pike lures are bucktails. I have had good luck with these:
http://www.cabelas.com/product/wind...=musky+harasser

I like the black/silver and the black/chartreuse colors. I'd buy the smaller size for pike. Or these:

http://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/joe-bucher-buchertail-black-red-nickel/0000000005741

I don't know what kind of gear your buddy has, but if he's using a fairly heavy duty baitcasting setup then spoons and bucktails are great pike lures.

I also really like some of the smaller musky crank/jerk baits:
http://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/joe-bucher-shallow-raider-firetiger/0000000005730

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

DoctaFun posted:

My favorite pike lures are bucktails. I have had good luck with these:
http://www.cabelas.com/product/wind...=musky+harasser

I like the black/silver and the black/chartreuse colors. I'd buy the smaller size for pike. Or these:

http://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/joe-bucher-buchertail-black-red-nickel/0000000005741

I don't know what kind of gear your buddy has, but if he's using a fairly heavy duty baitcasting setup then spoons and bucktails are great pike lures.

I also really like some of the smaller musky crank/jerk baits:
http://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/joe-bucher-shallow-raider-firetiger/0000000005730

He has a spinning reel with a medium rod.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I am becoming enamored with ultralight inline spinners. They are fun to fish and if you de-barb the trebles, they are very easy to remove from the fish. However, once I move down to the 1/24oz size, many spinners become very inconsistent in function. It seems to happen across brands, sometimes identical spinners preforming very differently. It's pretty annoying as these things are expensive. Over the winter I want to get set up to make the things, so I can test and settle on effective designs, but for now I would love any ideas you guys have about how to tune or improve store bought ones.

I would also love a source of small (#8 through #14) barbless treble hooks. I can find various sizes sometimes, but would love to find a place to buy a few dozen of each size. I have the tools to start tying hackles on hooks now, and it would be nice to get a jump on that part.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
I gotta get back out on the river one more time before ice up this year. My buddy has been sending me pictures of sturgeon he's been catching.

For reference, the biggest one I've caught I posted in here not too long ago, 55", 35 pounds, or something like that.

He's put three fish over 60" in the boat in the last week, the biggest being 66", 64 pounds!

Another guy caught a 70", 100 pounder about a week ago.

I'll be pretty sad if I don't get out there again :(.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
Lucky, my local river closes in Mid-October for hunting season. No fishing til March probably.

Ironsolid
Mar 1, 2005

Fishing isn't an addiction, it's a way of life. Everything to gain while losing everything

The only real notable fish I've caught this year. 46"

I caught a few flathead around 10-15# and some decent channels, but my outings have been few and far between. Lately I have been getting out a bit more for Saugeye. I do love the cold weather for minnows - I can get 3 dozen and change their water every 3-4 days leaving my bucket outside and keep them for weeks. Last outing I got a 14" and 16" Saugeye which made for a great breakfast, but unfortunately with me working third shift - my fishing ventures for Saugeye can end up happening only twice per week. It's saddening.

Planet X posted:

Random question: For catfish, I always used chicken livers. You sit them on the bottom and wait for them to be picked up What other baits or techniques to folks here use for channel cats?

Way late on the response to this one, but...

For smaller channels;

catch a few 5-7" blue gill (or shad, shad is so much better!), cut off their head and tail, dispose of them. With the remainder of the carcass cut the fish in half along the spine, effectively splitting the fish in half (from top to bottom). Cut two halves in approximately 3/4" - 1" squares.

For larget channels; find yourself 3-4" blue gill (live shad, uhhh good luck!), and use them live.

My buddy and I primarily target catfish during the spring summer and fall (with the occasional musky outing), we use 6/0, 7/0 and 8/0 hooks, depending on what we're targeting. With cut bait and smaller bluegills, we generally use 6/0, and for flatheads we use 7/0 and 8/0 depending on the bluegills. We ALWAYS hook the bluegill right behind the dorsal fin, near the tail (avoid the spine) as catfish almost always take gills head first.

One of the most memorable things a tournament catfisherman has ever told me, "Why try changing what fish predominantly prey on? Use what works, there is no reason to change it."

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
:siren:Noob Question Alert
I got a fish scale for Christmas (from my brother in law who left the country early). It's a Berkley digital scale and it has a hook (not sharp or barbed) to attach to the fish. My question is where do I attach it to the fish so it doesn't hurt it? Or is only something you should use if I plan on keeping the fish?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Depends on the species. Most west coast fish you can just insert it in the gills and out the mouth. Of course be careful not to tear the gills but we jam our hands in there to handle them so it's no big deal. Minimizes handling and removing their protective slime.

For species you can't hold from the jaw (apparently snook is in the catagory) I'm not really sure but my hill billy guess would be make a sack and soak it then add weights until it's 1lb give or take. Insert fish and dangle sack from scale. Seems pretty traumatic for catch and release though.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

LingcodKilla posted:

Depends on the species. Most west coast fish you can just insert it in the gills and out the mouth. Of course be careful not to tear the gills but we jam our hands in there to handle them so it's no big deal. Minimizes handling and removing their protective slime.

For species you can't hold from the jaw (apparently snook is in the catagory) I'm not really sure but my hill billy guess would be make a sack and soak it then add weights until it's 1lb give or take. Insert fish and dangle sack from scale. Seems pretty traumatic for catch and release though.

Trout or Bass are likely the only things I'll land, if I hooked one and my line doesn't break (not targeting them) a pickerel or pike. I usually bring a 5 gallon bucket with some water for fish I'm keeping, I can always tare it with the water in, add the fish, weigh it, then put it back in the water if I don't want to / can't keep it (5lb total or 5 trout whichever comes first is the limit here).

*I certainly won't be putting my digits anywhere near a pike / pickerel mouth.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Don't be a wuss. If your keeping the pike I'd imagine a thumb planted deep in orbital and your other fingers holding it by the jaw would be fairly safe.

Of course I don't fish for pike so...
But seriously I would think a lip grip would be well suited for them.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
I've never caught a pike, or tried to. I'm out for the trout.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Do you use a lip grip? I started using one last year and for hands off handling it's super great. Nets can really damage a fishes coat of scales and slime.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
It's high on the list of things to get. I just started fishing not even a year ago. Rivers open back up January first (lakes not til end of April) and since the weather has been ridiculously warm (we usually have ice-in by now and it's averaging 40F a day), so it might be an early start to the year if I can scrounge up the money for a license.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

I put aside some cash to buy myself the Christmas present I really want, a new rod, but it looks like no one makes the combo of features I want anymore. 8' fiberglass medium-action spincast with a full-length cork grip. Is there a manufacturer that still makes fiberglass spincast rods of any type?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

rndmnmbr posted:

I put aside some cash to buy myself the Christmas present I really want, a new rod, but it looks like no one makes the combo of features I want anymore. 8' fiberglass medium-action spincast with a full-length cork grip. Is there a manufacturer that still makes fiberglass spincast rods of any type?

Sounds like you get to go into the wonderful world of making your own custom rods.

Wish I had time for it myself.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
The best way to hold a pike is like this:

http://www.fieldandstream.com/articles/fishing/2010/02/gill-plate-grab-catch-release-pike-without-net

Make sure to support their body horizontally though as holding larger fish vertically by their gill plate is terrible for them.

I would absolutely recommend getting the hook out while they are in the net IN the water though. Bringing them on board a boat or on shore in a net will result in them thrashing around and getting tangled as F in the net.

If I'm using a crankbait with multiple trebles I avoid grabbing pike until the hooks are out if possible, I've been very close to lodging hooks in my hand.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Marshmallow Blue posted:

:siren:Noob Question Alert
I got a fish scale for Christmas (from my brother in law who left the country early). It's a Berkley digital scale and it has a hook (not sharp or barbed) to attach to the fish. My question is where do I attach it to the fish so it doesn't hurt it? Or is only something you should use if I plan on keeping the fish?

How big is that hook thingy? If it's not gigantic I would hook that through the hole your hook has already made in the fishes lip. It worked for reeling it in, should work for weighing it.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
or you could just attach the hook to the eyehole of the hook already in its mouth and weigh it that way.

But why the hell do you care about 'hurting' a fish when you have already jabbed a sharp pick into its mouth?

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

tesilential posted:

How big is that hook thingy? If it's not gigantic I would hook that through the hole your hook has already made in the fishes lip. It worked for reeling it in, should work for weighing it.

It's pretty large. Definately won't fit through a hook eye hole. I think i'm just going to tare my fishing bucket and weigh the fish in the bucket.

It's not about hurting the fish as much as making sure i don't cripple a fish before releasing.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Marshmallow Blue posted:

It's pretty large. Definately won't fit through a hook eye hole. I think i'm just going to tare my fishing bucket and weigh the fish in the bucket.

It's not about hurting the fish as much as making sure i don't cripple a fish before releasing.

Can't you just drape the fishing line over the hooked end of the scale and measure it that way?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Dude, post a fish!

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
I finally made it out ice fishing this weekend, stupid weather was too warm for safe ice and then too cold to go out.

Found some crappies and a bonus walleye though, all in all a pretty good day!

Ugh, gotta resize the photo.

DoctaFun fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jan 19, 2016

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Anyone done any flyfishing in Japan? I'm traveling to Hokkaido/Tokyo this summer and I'm thinking of hiring a guide, but I'm curious of what to expect.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Don't they have that bizarro snag fishing where they catch one little salamanoid by net then place a bunch of trebles all over it live rigged to a wire then throw it out and snag others who come to fight it?
Yeah that would be cool to try.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Tenkara. :laugh:

It's like fly fishing, except without the finesse, or skill, or range, and you still have to spend 6 bucks per fly. And you're basically just Tom Sawyering it up on a riverbank.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

coyo7e posted:

Tenkara. :laugh:

It's like fly fishing, except without the finesse, or skill, or range, and you still have to spend 6 bucks per fly. And you're basically just Tom Sawyering it up on a riverbank.

Except for range, which doesn't matter on the streams it's designed for, none of that is true.

vVv I used to think so too, til I spent a lot of time fly-fishing. Took a while to get used to it, having grown up surf-casting or dock fishing,

beefnoodle fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Feb 28, 2016

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Fly fishing is nothing special in any case. It's just a way to over complicate getting fish to bite. I've fished plenty of "Fly" spots with spinners, rapalas and worms and caught just as many if not more fish that the Fly boys.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

LingcodKilla posted:

Fly fishing is nothing special in any case. It's just a way to over complicate getting fish to bite. I've fished plenty of "Fly" spots with spinners, rapalas and worms and caught just as many if not more fish that the Fly boys.

It's just one other way to fish. Or in some areas where I live, the only reasonable way to fish.

Several of the parks here are artificial lure only, and with how tight the pool is, and the speed of the stream, flies are the only decent deliverable that won't get snarled on the bottom.

It's not more or less complicated than spinning or baitcasting. It's just one more tool to catch fish.

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

I think I just hit a creature?
I really like fly fishing, but I won't even attempt it unless I'm alone in a boat or wading in a medium sized or bigger stream/river. The fact you need as much space behind you as in front just to cast can get really annoying. I've actually taken to making hand tied 1/64oz jigs and such for my ultralight spinning setup to satisfy my "fly" urges.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I got a casting bubble but I haven't tried it yet. I'm moving to some much better trout country later this year so I may give it a go.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

If you master a rolling cast, you actually don't need much space behind you. :ssh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRaCV5c63mY

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Fly fishing is fishing at its finest. Catching a fish with one of your flies is a pretty awesome experience that is super addicting. It's expensive as gently caress and hard as gently caress compared to spin or baitcasting styles. I fish saltwater flats which are wide open with lots of wind. Even so the casting of the line is simple and natural compared to the skill required to work a fly well enough to catch a spooky flats fish. Moving the fly by handling the fly line is a fine art, especially when coming from the reel handle retrieve style. This is making me wanna threw the long rod, it's been a few months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Fly fishing is like dance, to regular fishing's marching along in lockstep. When I'm fly fishing, I really don't care that much if I catch anything at all - it's just such a pleasure to get entirely into your technique and forget what's going on. No matter what lure and/or bait fishing I'm doing, there's just nowhere near as much pleasure in the actual action of fishing, as there is when I'm fly fishing.

Buy a cheap flyrod and a hula hoop, and toss the hoop in your yard and practise with a strike indicator instead of a hook first, though, before you go anywhere near the water. If you can't roll-cast a fly under your rhododendrons 75% of the time, you're just going to lose your gear and possibly most of your leader immediately.

But for real, I'd rather stand on a riverbank all day fly fishing for 8"-9" redbands in a high mountain stream, than bring home a pair of salmon... Of course the next day when I'm hungry, I'd rather have the salmon, but fly-fishing is really more of a meditation technique, it's almost like practising martial arts where you get so into the movements and technique that you really aren't concerned about the "why" of you being out fishing in the first place.

A lot of fly-fishermen are real assholes though and look down on or try to chase away bait/lure fishermen from their favorite fly holes - I've found that the more expensive the vest and waders and gear someone's rocking while fly fishing, the more likely they will be a complete rear end to someone using spinners or eggs or the like.. I almost threw an old guy into the drink one time, when he angrily splashed down the river to me and informed me that I couldn't use lures on "his" river, because it was only for fly fishing (despite the regs saying otherwise, and my family owning two different properties on both ends of that same river). I think that fly fishermen being elitist pricks is more why it gets a bad rap from other fishermen, than any other reason.

I really do not see how there can be any art or technique to tenkara, since you're literally using a 10' piece of line.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Mar 2, 2016