Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

DrVenkman posted:

Though Dave seemed cold, it sounded more like "Yeah she shouldn't have said that".

I read it more as she shouldn't have shared her desire to have Travis Browne's babies or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi
Canadian sketch comedy troupe LoadingReadyRun is putting out a fortnightly podcast covering WWE broadcasting, and now that they actually have a schedule I feel better about posting it. So here's "Looks Like Some Sort Of Sidewalk Slam". It's trying to keep a balance between people who are active watchers of the product and either lapsed fans or complete non-viewers, so they take asides to explain some of the more common terminology. The video component is more relevant than other podcasts they do, so while there is an audio version, the video one is recommended.

Episode 1: Youtube
Episode 2: Youtube

As much as I love the Pisscast, it feels good to get a more positive outlook sometimes.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

LordPants posted:

I read it more as she shouldn't have shared her desire to have Travis Browne's babies or whatever.

Yes, in that she shouldn't have used suicide as a way to express how much she wanted to have his babies. Saying you were suicidal for a moment after a loss until you saw your boyfriend is kind of insensitive to people who suffer from depression and have regular thoughts of suicide. It's probably not worth talking about but it's those little wordings that the media picks up and runs with as a front page story "Rousey, Suicidal After Loss to Holm", so the whole issue becomes far bigger than it really is. I think from her persepective she was just trying to illustrate 'hey, I was at my lowest point but I still had someone who loved me that I love too!'

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
So if she gets knocked out again, is she a liability?

I'm sure UFC insures their fighters to some degree. I'm sure whoever the underwriter is just loved hearing that. Couldn't they cancel her insurance and prevent her from fighting?

I remember Lindsay Lohan couldn't work in Hollywood for a while because no one would insure her, stemming from her substance abuse.

Demtor
Apr 23, 2008

"...you won't be able to walk, if you're always worried about crushing the ants beneath you..."
Bas Rutten was on Joe Rogan's podcast recently and it was awesome. I am a big El Guapo fan.

Discovered that he and Mauro Ranallo have started their own podcast together! Looking at the episode list, Jerry Lawler is on episode 4.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
What in the hell would Bas Rutten have to talk to Jerry Lawler about?

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa

PaybackJack posted:

Yes, in that she shouldn't have used suicide as a way to express how much she wanted to have his babies. Saying you were suicidal for a moment after a loss until you saw your boyfriend is kind of insensitive to people who suffer from depression and have regular thoughts of suicide. It's probably not worth talking about but it's those little wordings that the media picks up and runs with as a front page story "Rousey, Suicidal After Loss to Holm", so the whole issue becomes far bigger than it really is. I think from her persepective she was just trying to illustrate 'hey, I was at my lowest point but I still had someone who loved me that I love too!'

Hey hi finding reasons to live when she thought there were none is probably a good thing and she's allowed to cry on the Ellen Degeneres show about it if she wants

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
To me Meltzer's comment came off much different. It came off like he thinks no one actually gives a poo poo about her.

Honestly, it saddens me but I really think that is the case. People were only into her because they wanted to watch a cocky woman be put "in her place". That's why that Ellen interview made me so sad. It felt like her talking about only finding solace in procreating with her wife-beating husband felt like their ultimate victory. Those are the only words I can think of: it felt like society putting a woman "in her place".

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
I'm sure Dana White wanted to kill himself when she got knocked out too, so it's nbd

Big Dave is probably just mad because when he heard that he started up his 38,500 word obituary for her, got 1/3rd through, and ran out of space so he could have a write up on Lucha Underground losing lots of money fit into the same issue

Electric Lady posted:

To me Meltzer's comment came off much different. It came off like he thinks no one actually gives a poo poo about her.

Honestly, it saddens me but I really think that is the case. People were only into her because they wanted to watch a cocky woman be put "in her place". That's why that Ellen interview made me so sad. It felt like her talking about only finding solace in procreating with her wife-beating husband felt like their ultimate victory. Those are the only words I can think of: it felt like society putting a woman "in her place".

uhh I'm pretty sure the vast majority of people enjoyed her because she won in like 30 seconds and beat a ton of rear end, there are always people rooting against the top people like that, look at how many people hate Lebron (gently caress Lebron) but they also have the most fans because they're awesome and win

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Dave probably doesn't think anyone should talk about Travis Browne in public. Big Dave right again!

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

I wish she hadn't said it because a bunch of people on my facebook wall used it as an excuse to spout some utter bs about how week she is.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

Marquis de Pyro posted:

uhh I'm pretty sure the vast majority of people enjoyed her because she won in like 30 seconds and beat a ton of rear end, there are always people rooting against the top people like that, look at how many people hate Lebron (gently caress Lebron) but they also have the most fans because they're awesome and win

A large number of people really enjoyed her losing. I suspect most of them don't buy or watch fights though.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Taking third in the Olympics caused Ronda to spiral into a year of heavy drug and alcohol abuse. It's not hard to imagine how she might take losing embarrassingly on the biggest stage of possible. People can suffer from depression while still seeming ok to the public.

All we do know so that she shat a lot in the woods.

...is she a bear?

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
FYI granny loves the big guy!

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things

RaceyBucket posted:

I wish she hadn't said it because a bunch of people on my facebook wall used it as an excuse to spout some utter bs about how week she is.

This is what I mean. Everyone had been waiting to say this the whole time.

DannoMack posted:

A large number of people really enjoyed her losing. I suspect most of them don't buy or watch fights though.

More people don't buy/watch fights than do. As little attention that I pay to media, last year I remember seeing Ronda portrayed strongly, to the point of ridiculousness in the promos leading up to her match with Holly Holm (where she was called the greatest woman athlete to ever live, and things like that).

This year all the only portrayals I've seen of Rousey are her getting kicked in the head and her crying on Ellen. This is what people think of woman athletes.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

I know everyone is jumping all ove themselves to dick ride Dave, but he has a history of lovely comments in relation to women, including Rousey, in regards to their looks, spousal abuse and other issues.

And to sit here and diagnose her on a forum due to one audio clip is dumb, just like what he said was dumb. If she says she was feeling suicidal, then take it at face value because that's what normal adults do.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Electric Lady posted:

This year all the only portrayals I've seen of Rousey are her getting kicked in the head and her crying on Ellen. This is what people think of woman athletes.

What exactly is there to talk about in regards to Ronda Rousey? Her most recent fight was her getting kicked in the head, and there isn't a 'next fight' to talk about because she doesn't have a next fight lined up. What there is to talk about is her previous fight, and how she is responding to the defeat.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Electric Lady posted:

Oh no they were not waiting it was just more ammunition to them.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Great White Hope posted:

What exactly is there to talk about in regards to Ronda Rousey? Her most recent fight was her getting kicked in the head, and there isn't a 'next fight' to talk about because she doesn't have a next fight lined up. What there is to talk about is her previous fight, and how she is responding to the defeat.

Well she should have tailored her message to appease people who already hate her. Because it's her responsibility to not represent herself in an honest way but as a representative of what the ideal woman should be.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
The dumb thing was saying that she needs to have Travis Browne's babies and that's all her life is worth living for. A man who is still married to a woman whom he abused. And even worse, he's a bad, lovely fighter who sucks.

Ronda Rousey is an absolute piece of poo poo if she wants to procreate with Travis Browne hth.

81sidewinder
Sep 8, 2014

Buying stocks on the day of the crash

Great White Hope posted:

She doesn't have a fight booked, but is tentatively slotted to fight the winner of Holm/Tate. That will likely be a top five PPV in UFC history. It's not set in stone, and the fact that its kind of up in the air is actually an interesting talking point. She is one of the most important fighters of all time, and at worst the second most important fighter in the world right now. She went on TV and talked about suicide. So, there is plenty to talk about.

81sidewinder
Sep 8, 2014

Buying stocks on the day of the crash

Fluffdaddy posted:

I know everyone is jumping all ove themselves to dick ride Dave, but he has a history of lovely comments in relation to women, including Rousey, in regards to their looks, spousal abuse and other issues.

And to sit here and diagnose her on a forum due to one audio clip is dumb, just like what he said was dumb. If she says she was feeling suicidal, then take it at face value because that's what normal adults do.

Dave's 180 degree turn on Ronda is insane. He couldn't praise her enough before her loss, and now it's totally different. His comments about her on that pod were probably cold at best, and maybe worse, depending on what he actually meant.

Lloyd Boner posted:

The dumb thing was saying that she needs to have Travis Browne's babies and that's all her life is worth living for. A man who is still married to a woman whom he abused. And even worse, he's a bad, lovely fighter who sucks.

Ronda Rousey is an absolute piece of poo poo if she wants to procreate with Travis Browne hth.

Can someone clarify what actually happened? I hadn't followed that story closely, and read that his wife's bruises were not from him?

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

Electric Lady posted:

More people don't buy/watch fights than do. As little attention that I pay to media, last year I remember seeing Ronda portrayed strongly, to the point of ridiculousness in the promos leading up to her match with Holly Holm (where she was called the greatest woman athlete to ever live, and things like that).

So you're saying that when she was unbeatable, she was portrayed as unbeatable, and when she lost, she was portrayed as a loser?

I mean...that's just how dumb sports coverage works. I hate to use Lebron as an example again, because gently caress Lebron, but for years idiot sports talking heads (and a lot of fans) talked about how he wasn't clutch and was basically a coward and a loser for reasons as dumb as "he didn't take the last shot at the all star game"

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

Did you just miss the obscene revelling in RR's loss or?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I must be interpreting things wildly differently, I didn't find anything too upsetting in what Dave said. I just assumed he was speaking of Ronda in terms of being a star and a draw, and her saying that the reason she kept on living is to pump out some married dude's kids is not exactly a "star" thing to say.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

DannoMack posted:

Did you just miss the obscene revelling in RR's loss or?

Did you miss the obscene reveling in the Miami Heat losing to the Dallas Mavericks a few years back?

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
The difference between this and Lebron is that while Lebron's loss was to belittle the individual as an athlete, Ronda's loss is being used to justify not only her incapability but the incapability of all woman athletes. Rousey's next title shot was moved off of UFC 200 because after a couple of weeks people stopped considering it a draw. And do you think an average individual is gonna know or care about Joanna Champion? Again, I do not pay enough attention to media, but I don't know if UFC is prepared to continue working on their women's division by pushing their other capable, undefeated woman athletes.

triplexpac posted:

I must be interpreting things wildly differently, I didn't find anything too upsetting in what Dave said. I just assumed he was speaking of Ronda in terms of being a star and a draw, and her saying that the reason she kept on living is to pump out some married dude's kids is not exactly a "star" thing to say.

His exact line was "Mm-hmm. I wish she hadn't told us." Not that she shouldn't have revealed vulnerability as a star, but that Dave didn't want to hear any of it. Meltzer does not respect Ronda Rousey as a draw or a star.

Electric Lady fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Feb 19, 2016

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Electric Lady posted:

His exact line was "Mm-hmm. I wish she hadn't told us." Not that she shouldn't have revealed vulnerability as a star, but that Dave didn't want to hear any of it. Meltzer does not respect Ronda Rousey as a draw or a star.

Fair enough! I just interpreted that as a sarcastic way of saying "I wish she never said that"

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Electric Lady posted:

The difference between this and Lebron is that while Lebron's loss was to belittle the individual as an athlete, Ronda's loss is being used to justify not only her incapability but the incapability of woman athletes. Rousey's next title shot was moved off of UFC 200 because after a couple of weeks people stopped considering it a draw.

Ronda was taken off UFC 200 at her request because of filming a movie (and probably to recover from the loss). If you think it's because of women athletes not being capable, you're arguing Ronda Rousey doesn't think women athletes are competent because a woman beat her in a fight.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Electric Lady posted:

The difference between this and Lebron is that while Lebron's loss was to belittle the individual as an athlete, Ronda's loss is being used to justify not only her incapability but the incapability of all woman athletes. Rousey's next title shot was moved off of UFC 200 because after a couple of weeks people stopped considering it a draw. And do you think an average individual is gonna know or care about Joanna Champion? Again, I do not pay enough attention to media, but I don't know if UFC is prepared to continue working on their women's division by pushing their other capable, undefeated woman athletes.

quote:

Ronda Rousey, the former UFC women's bantamweight champion who fought three times in just under nine months in 2015, won't be quite as active in the Octagon this year.

UFC president Dana White told Yahoo Sports on Tuesday that Rousey has asked for more time off and that she won't fight, as planned, at UFC 200 in July. Rousey is set to star in the remake of "Roadhouse," and the start of filming has been pushed back, White said.

As a result, she asked him for more time off before returning to the Octagon for the first time since she lost her title and perfect record to Holly Holm on Nov. 14.

"The filming of the movie got pushed back," White said. "She could do both, but the question is, should she do both? She could do both, but why should she? The filming is in a time frame where she'd finish before 200, but it would be cutting it too close."

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Electric Lady posted:

The difference between this and Lebron is that while Lebron's loss was to belittle the individual as an athlete, Ronda's loss is being used to justify not only her incapability but the incapability of woman athletes. Rousey's next title shot was moved off of UFC 200 because after a couple of weeks people stopped considering it a draw.

1. I don't respect Ronda because she's dumb as gently caress. About trans people, about Sandy Hook, about domestic abuse ("this person sucks, this person doesn't because I'm dating him now"), about basically everything that isn't fighting, which would be much more respectable if she only ever talked about fighting and nothing else.

2. It was moved off of 200 because she's making four films and was never going to pull off shooting all of them, plus having a full camp, plus hype the fight with media appearances and press conferences

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Electric Lady posted:

The difference between this and Lebron is that while Lebron's loss was to belittle the individual as an athlete, Ronda's loss is being used to justify not only her incapability but the incapability of all woman athletes. Rousey's next title shot was moved off of UFC 200 because after a couple of weeks people stopped considering it a draw.

I kinda doubt this is why it was moved off the show

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things

Great White Hope posted:

Ronda was taken off UFC 200 at her request because of filming a movie (and probably to recover from the loss). If you think it's because of women athletes not being capable, you're arguing Ronda Rousey doesn't think women athletes are competent because a woman beat her in a fight.

Thank you for the correction. I went back to the Observer and it was because of the Road House filming being pushed back. I was going off of vague remembrances from a radio show, Dave saying something along the lines of "it'd be better in the long run," or something. I remember there was talk about more than the movie.

And of course, I'm referring to public view of woman athletes, particularly in MMA. I can't judge what Rousey thinks of her peers or try to psychoanalyze that (god forbid I do that with my utter lack of a Psy.D).

E: And I'm not passing judgment on Ronda Rousey as a good or bad person, either by talking about those public views. I don't think she's a good person, especially for the transphobic comments she's made. Again, just about the view.

Electric Lady fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Feb 19, 2016

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Electric Lady posted:

He spent the last 5 minutes before saying that explaining how she was on the cover because SI thought she'd sell the most magazines, he is in no way implying no one gives a poo poo about her. He's saying just the opposite, she's a huge star and might not even fight again because of it.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

MassRafTer posted:

He spent the last 5 minutes before saying that explaining how she was on the cover because SI thought she'd sell the most magazines, he is in no way implying no one gives a poo poo about her. He's saying just the opposite, she's a huge star and might not even fight again because of it.

I feel like I've heard Dave say multiple times that losing to Holly might have made Ronda even more popular than she was before.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

Great White Hope posted:

Did you miss the obscene reveling in the Miami Heat losing to the Dallas Mavericks a few years back?

Do you think this is the same or are you making a joke? I don't want to own myself by responding to this seriously if you already know how silly it is.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

triplexpac posted:

I feel like I've heard Dave say multiple times that losing to Holly might have made Ronda even more popular than she was before.

The only 2 negative things I can recall Dave saying about Ronda since her loss was keeping Edmond as her coach, and wishing that she never said “I looked up and I saw my man Travis was standing up there, and I looked up at him and I was like, I need to have his babies.”

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

DannoMack posted:

Do you think this is the same or are you making a joke? I don't want to own myself by responding to this seriously if you already know how silly it is.

It's not the exact same, because Ronda publicly called out arguably the greatest boxer of all time regardless of gender, and then got completely and utterly dominated by a boxer whose MMA career, while undefeated, was completely unimpressive, but if you're seriously going to pretend that people laughing really hard at a massively overhyped rear end in a top hat getting their rear end handed to them is a Ronda-exclusive thing, I have bad news for you.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

This started because people were saying RR was being suicidal wrong. Then people wanted to act like the Internet wasn't jacking off in its own mouth about her getting taken down a peg. Now it's going to turn into RR has problematic opinions and Travis Browne is a dirtball, which are undeniable and make this topic dumb and boring now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things

DannoMack posted:

This started because people were saying RR was being suicidal wrong. Then people wanted to act like the Internet wasn't jacking off in its own mouth about her getting taken down a peg. Now it's going to turn into RR has problematic opinions and Travis Browne is a dirtball, which are undeniable and make this topic dumb and boring now.

This is exactly what I was trying to avoid by not talking about her as a person. Forgive me, everyone.

Moving on. Observer Live on now. Looking forward to a good show. Makes my lunch hour worthwhile.

• Locked thread